Hexy Videos: Two Hours Of Mechwarrior Tactics

By Jim Rossignol on June 3rd, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Good morning, you! How was your weekend?

Okay, two hours is probably a bit too much for one sitting of Mechwarrior Tactics gameplay footage, and I have to warn you that this unedited footage of someone playing a slow strategy game, complete with phases of silent clicking. But assuming you do actually want to digest all that, you get to see a wad of gameplay, mech loadouts, and of course some tactics. The game is in closed beta right now, and this footage is taken from that phase of the game.

You can get at the beta through a founder’s program.

Via PC Gamer.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Heavenfall says:

Looks cute, but wtf is going on with their pay schemes? What the hell is a k C-bill? How much is 25 000 scrap and 10% scrap bonus? Seems like this is something they should be talking about on their sales page if that’s what they’re selling.

• bad guy says:

The k could mean 1000, as in 1000grams=1kg.
      Are Brits still measuring in stone and potatoe? ;)

• darkChozo says:

Clearly we’re looking at a measure of kiloCoulomb-bills. If you’re familiar with Battletech lore, you’d know that in the future the most valuable asset is that of static electricity-charged duck bills, whose usefulness as a power source has lead to its adoption as a kind of impromptu currency.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

We measure in firkins, my good man.

• nimzy says:

Might be an odd reference to the alternate forms of currency in-universe. Each faction had its own currency, which was usually referred to by letter, like K-Bills, L-Bills, and so on.

2. DarkMalice says:

If this was a long single-player campaign with an AI skirmish mode, I would be all over it. I really don’t like the idea of paying for extra weapons etc. to compete online, even if that has become the model of choice for developers.

• P7uen says:

I’m right with you buddy, whatever happened to good old skirmish mode, so many games that seem suited to it seem to be online only these days.

All the single-players, now put your hands up!

If you like it you should have put DRM on it, etc etc.

• wodin says:

Me too..I had a BETA key and gave it away as no single player no interest from me..

• TWChristine says:

I was really quite excited for this when I first heard about it, and I’m not sure exactly what I was expecting..but this isn’t really it. And a big part of that is, like has been said, the lack of SP. Perhaps I was expecting more along the lines of Mech Commander but with hexes and a tabletop feel..

• Reapy says:

Not the same as a campaign and all that, but they did mention in the video that you can play against AI opponents, so at least there is someone to beat up on all the time I guess.

• TWChristine says:

Yea, I did kind of perk up when I heard that part, but then I figured it would just be the BT version of me playing BF1942. I’m just not much or a fan of multiplayer I guess! I still have MW2 though for my singleplayer mech needs!

• guygodbois00 says:

My thoughts exactly, Mr DarkMalice.

3. slerbal says:

Game looks fun and I love the tabletop. But the business model is a complete no from me. I will not play an experiment in addiction otherwise known as a free to play ‘game’.

I enjoyed the video up until the dagger of cynical mercantilism was drawn and pressed to the player’s throat. “Cough up the cash or you’ll never win.”

So, no. It saddens me that this business model exists.

4. Lagwolf says:

In the beta me…. the words “paint drying more exciting” was my first impression after playing a couple of times. It is really really slow, the table-top version takes less time.

• nimzy says:

Man, how is that even possible? The paperwork alone is what puts me off the tabletop.

• Razumen says:

I find that hard to believe, from what I’ve read playing with as many mechs in the video in the tabletop edition, a single match would last hours-calculating hits and damage just takes too damn long. It’s one of the things that discouraged me from getting into it and just sticking with the faster PC implementations (Megamek, etc).

5. loquee says:

For me the 20$ package was already interesting and jumping through that video convinced me to give it a shot. the founders program business model still feels a little strange, but done right (see endless space) I prefer it to normal closed beta tests where it is quite difficult to get a serious feedback discussion. I guess this is the same for the dev. way less noise from people who aren´t really interested (invested) in the game at all but are spamming around in the forums.

And also I loved the old mech commander games :)

6. Doganpc says:

It isn’t Mechcommander its more like a Battletech clone. Was too clunky and blatantly bugged last time I tried playing it, perhaps its time to give it another go. Not a bad game concept, think Final Fantasy Tactics with mechs. Maybe too generalized of an analogy but thats what it reminded me of.

• StarkeRealm says:

No, Mechwarrior is Battletech, just with a slightly different branding. I can’t remember what the difference was, one was an RPG or something? *shrugs*

• Razumen says:

Actually he makes sense, Mechcommander was a real-time tactics-based game, which differs from regular Battletech which is normally a turn-based affair and hasn’t really had a good PC version yet. In that sense it’s strange they called it Mechwarrior Tactics though, since the Mechwarrior games were primarily first/third person games focusing on one mech with the player as the pilot.

7. AlienMind says:

Pay $ to get packs with random win stuff in it, which you of course can also have if you grid for ages.
    Got it, another one of those.
    *walks away*

8. irongamer says:

Was looking forward to this title, but I don’t care for their implementation. It strays to far from the table top feel, but to close to an RTS while still being turn based. It just doesn’t work. Something closer to Card Hunter or Mech Commander would have been nice, but they tried to land somehwere in the middle and it just doesn’t work.

Lose the 3D and stay turn based.
    Keep the 3D and go RTS.

The current presentation just feels clunky.

• Razumen says:

How does it stray too far from the tabletop? It looks like Battletech but with a nice 3D overlay showing exactly what happens after every turn. Definitely better than some other open source attempts.

True, it’s a shame that it’s MP only but I hope that it will draw in more fans and thus more interest for a full fledged SP AND MP game.