Ravensdale Puts Orcs On An Oil Rig

By Jim Rossignol on June 3rd, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Black Forest Games, the developers of Giana Sisters:Twisted Dreams, have sent word of their next game, Ravensdale, which provides the world with a four player co-op action side-scroller, all set within a “medieval oil rig city”. Co-op is very much the focus, as they explain: “Gameplay-wise, Ravensdale is gunning for a true co-op experience, with weapon choices, environment, enemies and positioning all blending together to dynamically create exciting situations that reward cooperative play. For example, repeatedly slamming that orc raider into a wall works just fine, but if you punt him to your buddy below, he’ll blast the orc into the incinerator behind him and you can go to town on the goblins trying to ambush him from the skies.” The game is still deep in the throes of development, but will be heading to Kickstarter before long, too.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. merc-ai says:

The art direction looks great, very interesting.
    Too bad it’s wasted on yet another co-op game, but I suppose there’s an audience for that sort of thing.

• Niko says:

“Wasted”? There’s too few good co-op games, especially those that you can play on the same PC.

• Jekhar says:

On principle i’m all for more coop games. Though i hope there will be an online mode. With the rise of dem interwebz the times i’m huddling around the same machine with my friends have been greatly reduced. Come to think of it, the last time i did something like that was on the amiga.

2. vanosofmanos says:

Enough is enough! I have had it with these everlovin’ orcs on this everlovin’ oil rig!

Seriously, though, it looks pretty enough, but the game play looks awfully tower defense-ish to me. Kind of wish they had a few more details other than “kind of sort of fantasy steampunk” game.

3. cpt_freakout says:

Is it something like Trine? Trine was great, I loved it.

4. Caiman says:

Ah, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. Such a great game… for 2 hours until it suddenly became ball-breakingly hard and caused me to quit in frustration. The difficulty curve was just too steep, not giving you enough time to become proficient with the different actions and combinations before asking you to combine them all to survive the first boss fight. Ah boss fights, I wish you’d die already. Anyway, whinge over.

• AvistTorch says:

Eh, Giana Sisters got pretty challenging, but it’s really not that bad compared to the sheer platforming masochism of some recent games like Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Makes me a bit sad whenever someone bashes the whole concept of boss fights. Well, in this game, it could have been better — the bosses should have been their own stages so they didn’t mess up my rank for the rest of the stage, but still.

Quite disappointed they’re going the co-op route though. The people I like to play co-op with are very specific about the games they buy, so I can ‘t see them picking this up.

5. NecroKnight says:

Warhammer 40.000 + Castle Crashers= Ravensdale

• cawt says:

This is exactly what I logged in to say, so I’ll just say that I wanted to say that this is what I wanted to say.

• AlwaysRight says:

I’m glad someone mentioned this!