Now You Too Can Assault Communism

By Alec Meer on June 4th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Soldier! Get a move on! Assault that Communism now! Quickly, it’s getting away! It’ll spill pinko juice everywhere if you don’t catch it on time. COMMUNISM MUST BE ASSAULTED OR WE SHALL ALL PERISH.

I’m pretty sure that’s an exact recreation of what playing the demo of Battlefront’s latest Strategic Command, WWII Assault on Communism plays like. Didn’t I do well?

In fact, it’s a grand strategy game, and expansion of Strategic Command WII Global Conflict, which saw a similar demo-related post by an outgoing Kieron Gillen three years ago. Dear me, look at how he didn’t even add any words under the cut. Ttch! Not like these oh-so-noble post-cut words, are they? Truly, these will become legends.

Er… trailer follows.

Er… there isn’t a trailer for this one. Um. What now?

Try the demo, I guess. While AoC-full requires the Global Conflict parent game, this demo does not. Sounds like it’s got a decent chunk of game in it, though – “the 1941 Operation Barbarossa campaign with just the first two months of the war included, or until August 27th, 1941.” Actually, for all I know, two months is just two turns in this.

Also, I just noticed that demo tries to install a bloody browser toolbar if you don’t tell it not, so watch out for that.

If you like what try, the full expansion is also out now, for $25.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Demievil says:

Three weeks out and you’re already rusty ;-)

Better or worse than Unity of Command?

• kazmakoze says:

Claire. true that Rita`s report is cool… on tuesday I bought a top of the range Dodge since I been bringin in $6201 this – five weeks past and-a little over, 10k last-month. it’s by-far the coolest work I’ve ever done. I began this 9-months ago and straight away started to bring in at least $84, p/h. I follow the instructions here, === http://WWW.BUZZ90.COM ===

2. misterT0AST says:

Es flüstern die Kohle- und Stahlproduzenten,
    Es flüstert die chemische Kriegsproduktion,
    Es flüstert von allen Kontinenten:
    Mobilmachung gegen die Sowjetunion!

I can’t wait to try the demo!

3. GreatUncleBaal says:

I’m far happier to see a demo for a strategy game rather than a trailer, as the reverse is much more commonly the case, and much less informative (though I don’t fully follow the idea that strat game trailers are entirely useless anyway – if you know what you want, you know what you’re looking for).
    Sadly I’m absolutely bloody inundated following a blitzkrieg of grognard-level strategy game purchases (including the excellent War in the East which covers the same theatre and period), so I’ll have to pass. I might’ve looked at the demo if the map seemed sexy enough, but it did not.

In an alternative universe, that pic looks a tad like it might’ve come from a Nazi-themed high-school dating sim. Or maybe more terrifyingly, such a thing already exists in this one. No, I don’t want to know.

• Kollega says:

And one of the objectives in such a dating sim would inevitably be to bring Hitler’s popularity with girls crashing down – so that you have more chances – by revealing to all that his grandmother’s last name was “Schniklgruber”.

• GreatUncleBaal says:

It would be difficult to achieve, too; all the girls are gonna love his “I was a starving artist dreaming of a better world” shtick. He’s done prison time, too – and fought in the war! Mysterious and rugged, and such an individualist with that moustache!
        I’m starting to think a Nazi-themed high school dating sim might be the greatest thing ever O_o. I’m putting it down to sunstroke after TWO solid days of sunshine over my patch of England.

• Kollega says:

Yeah. I definitely know that doing prison time or fighting in a great big war (or both!) makes you all dark and badass and awesome. It’s one of the biggest cliches in Ratchet & Clank fandom, at least.

As for someone making it… well, there already exists a webcomic called “Hipster Hitler”. The Nazi-themed dating sim can’t possibly be far behind.

4. Kollega says:

Now is it just me, or calling a WW2 strategy game “Assault on Communism” a little… politically incorrect? I mean, sure, i’m no fan of those darn Commies, and Stalin was about as bad as Hitler (just different in his badness), but it’s mostly agreed on that the Commies joining the Allied nations to kick Nazi butt was a good thing. I hope the game doesn’t try to covertly glorify the Wehrmacht or anything like that.

Although maybe i’m just reading too much into this.

• JFS says:

Maybe it’s just called that way because it’s (in a way) about Hitler assaulting Communism? I don’t think this is judgemental.

• Kollega says:

Maybe. I just thought it was politically incorrect because “Assault on Communism” sounds like it implies some sort of brave struggle, which the Nazi invasion of USSR (or anythng else, really) definitely wasn’t. As i’ve said, i may be reading too much into this.

• Apolloin says:

Meh. A struggle against communism pretty aptly describes what motivated the solid burghers of Germany to vote Hitler in as Chancellor, so it’s actually quite a sensible name. And given that communism didn’t really exist in State form outside the USSR at that time…

Also, quite frankly, attacking Russia without long range bombers OR winterised equipment is brave to the point of insanity. You don’t have to agree with the politics to recognise bravery.

• unimural says:

I don’t see that there’s any sense of bravery or valour attached in the phrase ‘assault on something’. In this case I see it as a somewhat literal description: that particular part of WWII.

Then again, I’m a bit of a pacifist and find many summer movies to be assaults on senses. And probably in militaristic rhetoric there are such value attachments to various phrases. It merely has none for me.

wengart says:

At first I thought this was a hypothetical scenario of Operation Unthinkable. The invasion of the Soviet Union by the Western Powers immediately after the fall of Germany.

After reading the site a bit it looks like you might just be playing from the German perspective, which may explain the name.

• Smion says:

Well, its sister expansion is called “Assault on Democracy”, so at least they’re equal opportunity offensive.

• Kollega says:

Well then, case closed. The devs simply don’t care about political correctness :P

• tanith says:

To be fair though, the title is pretty stupid since there never existed a communist country.
      And no, the soviet union was a socialist country, not a communist nation.

• mike2R says:

I’m visualising you standing atop a pile of bodies, and shouting “No! That wasn’t quite right! Let’s try this again!”

• krait says:

I hope they did at least include the part where Hitler would sometimes give completely stupid orders just because he could. It might be an interesting challenge for a strategy gamer to receive lunatic orders from your supreme leader every once in a while, such as “no retreat kthx, a German doesn’t surrender”. And then be ground to shreds. :-s

• Bweahns says:

I think you’re reading into it too much. Stalin’s Russia never did anything that wasn’t wholly and completely self serving no matter how many people were murdered or suffered. Stalin signed a non aggression treaty with Hitler when it was in his interests. It was no longer in his interests to collude with the Nazis when he was attacked. In my mind I think the world would of been a better place if WWII weakened Stalin rather than granting him immense power and a whole bunch of new territory.

I’ve developed a new disgust for the Soviets after getting halfway through a book on Chairman Mao who is possibly the most evil, self serving bastard I’ve ever read about.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It tries to install a browser toolbar? That’s despicable, in a late-90s kinda way.

• Brun says:

Late-90’s? Hardly. Oracle continues that grand and immutable tradition with its Java JRE installer to this day.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Oracle, too, is retro evil. Like the “Punch the Monkey” ads which have popped up again lately.

• LionsPhil says:

Adobe Flash will try to fob you off with McAffee. Several things will try to get Chrome onto your machine.

As a general rule, they can all sod off, too. Flash gets a pass because there is no alternative and it is actually fairly essential. (No, I am not interested in your opinions on this point, especially if they involve “HTML5″.)

• Buckermann says:

The apex will be reached when the Firefox installer asks you if you want to install Chrome, Opera asks for Firefox, and Chrome for Safari.

And they all make inappropriate jokes about IE. Meanies.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

This is my single-biggest bugbear about the Windows platform. This single, insidous practice is the number one reason why I use the Mac OS over the Windows one whenever possible.

On the other hand, the 75% of games that are Windows only keeps me coming back, like a bad Milgram experiment.

darkChozo says:

Your biggest problem with Windows is that JRE tries to install a browser toolbar? That’s… awfully specific.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

That’s nothing. I once judged the entire nation of France based on nothing more than vague misgivings.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Every time I boot into Windows, there’s a Java update, and every time I have to remember to uncheck the box. It happens frequently enough that it really annoys me. I only use use Windows for gaming, so mercifully I rarely have to dick about with any of its other features.

If you wouldn't like to permanently fuck up your browsing experience just to update some software you have to have installed for some reason, please uncheck this box, otherwise just spam the "Next >" button

• LionsPhil says:

Uninstall Java.

Seriously, just do it.

You can live without Minecraft. Let Java die. It wants to. It’s wanted to since it was born malformed. After Oracle got their hooks into it it the pain has only grown more intense. Please. Let it die. Let it die.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Don’t install java from java.com. Install the same thing but packaged for developers from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
            It doesn’t install a toolbar and as far as I remember neither do its updates.

You need the 32 bit version of the JRE 7 if you’re using Firefox, otherwise go with the 64 bit version if you have a 64-bit computer.

If you don’t remember the link just search for “Java JRE”, it’s your magic passport to a toolbar-free java.

• Smion says:

To be fair, it is a game about some very despicable people, you have to admit!

• Pheasant Plucker says:

Late-90′s is where Battlefront still live. They fairly recently explained that they would never sell through Steam because Steam was SPYWARE, totally for sure, absolutely yes, and everyone else (i.e. those thirty million+ Steam users) who thought otherwise were wrong, while Battlefornt alone were right. And then they carry on trying to screw up everyone’s browsers with those f-ing toolbars,

Assault On Communism makes them sound like they’re jingoistic rednecks from the 1950′s, so I guess that a 90′s-style toolbar screwer-upper is positively futuristic to them!

6. Ninja Foodstuff says:

True or false: North Americans are still genuinely afraid of sleeper communists waiting to usurp their nation from within.

• Fred S. says:

False. Now they’re worried about right-wingers and corporations and Tea Partiers wanting to turn back the tide of progress.

darkChozo says:

True. To this day, I refuse to go near beds, especially those with red sheets.

• derbefrier says:

false, becasue they have already infiltrated various government institutions

lasikbear says:

True, but we mostly worry about secret ties to the Muslim Brotherhood, and atheists and if someone is stealing our guns and sharia law and then we need a bit of a lie down and oh god i need to check on the guns

7. Theon says:

Are you implying a mutually exclusive relationship between democracy and communism?
    Because if indeed you are, you are wrong.

Edit: Meant as a reply to Smion (18:27)

• Brun says:

Well yeah…one is a form of government, the other is an economic system. Apples and oranges, and all that…

• Theon says:

Yup. Also, communism (the ideology through Marx’ writings) advocates democracy. Many are confused by the expression “the dictatorship pf the proletariat”, but Marx meant this as an alternative to “the dictatorship of the bourgeoise” which is what he called the prevailing “democracy” under a capitalist system.
        Marx, and many later thinkers adhering to the communist ideology, have stressed a focus on a more direct and local form of democracy, ruled by the majority – rather than the minority of capitalists.

• USER47 says:

Well, the democracy is a form of system to decide how to distribute and use resources…in the theoretical communism, the final stage of Marx’s transition, where the resources are infinitely abundant and scarcity doesn’t exist, there would be no need for such a system. So I would say these terms are kind of exclusive.

Of course it is different in the socialism, the stage between capitalism and utopistic communism, some sort of democracy is actually most likely there, because the resources are owned collectively and the decision making is supposed to be somewhat distributed among the collective as well.

• Theon says:

I’m under the impression (correct me if I’m wrong) that a democratic principles ought to be present in the final stage of communism as well, only manifesting in collective decision-making rather than representative democracy under a state institution.

• Smion says:

Well, the kind of communism (even though it might be in name only) that is assaulted in this game, wasn’t the most shining example of a realisation of Marx’s ideas.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Even though you’re of course right, each time I read someone that seems to defend the idea of communism, I can’t help thinking “Oh god, yet another one who thinks that they didn’t get it right last time and is gonna encourage people to try it again with the resulting mass murders”.

Sorry but as good as it sounds on paper Communism is a cursed ideology.

• Theon says:

I don’t think there’s any point in mixing superstition/religiosity with ideology. The “curse” of communism is of a socio-economic nature.
        Marx’ view of history was a linear one – He meant that in the same way that humanity has gone from primal societies to feudal societies and to capitalism, the next step in the evolution would be socialism before eventually communism. He meant that capitalism wasn’t the final stage of human society, and considering how young capitalism is, this is not unreasonable.
        The thing is, that all the so called attempts at establishing communism have been instigated in poor, uneducated feudal nations, through violence by a minority group. This does not even resemble how Marx claimed socialism would come about. How can the majority of the people go together to rule their collective future, without first having gone through the educational steps that capitalism bring? How is an usurped majority of analphabets supposed to be able to handle real democracy? How is the violent minority supposed to hinder a contra-revolution without even more violent means?

Wether communism is possible or not is a topic worthy of discussion, but to use the age of “real-socialism” as proof that it cannot work is simply ridiculous. North Korea’s offical name is The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, yet no one uses this as proof that democracy can not work.

• Don Reba says:

Not only are they not exclusive, but the democratic ideal of one man – one vote kind of implies socialism, and undue influence of money on politics is broadly considered a bad thing. You can see it in the countries where democracy works best, that when the majority’s opinions count, the people get more social services and income equalization.

8. Borsook says:

That’s the first game I’m not going to buy from battlefront… my reason can be a warning to some of you – battlefront blocked access of everybody using my provider, so quite a large IP range. They flatly refused to do anything about claiming that I should break a contract with my provider and get a new one. I’ve never met with such customer service before… a pity as the devs of the game are actually very nice people

9. RProxyOnly says:

I don’t tread this site for American propoganda.

UK has never had an issue with “communism” (not that it’s actually ever existsed in real life).. It’s America that’s had the ‘threat’ of the ‘red menace’ held over their heads for 60 years not any of the other more sensible Western Countries.

So ENOUGH with the propoganda.

REAL communism is something worthy to strive for.

• Don Reba says:

It’s kind of amusing how Americans, having two essentially identical far-right parties, still seek out communists in their midst.