Road Worriers: Ocean City Racing

By Jim Rossignol on June 4th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

The Ocean City Racing team send word that their ambitious open-world racing game (powered by UDK, they are keen to stress) is now available. The game allows you to explore the city on-foot or by driving and discover twenty different vehicles, from go-kart to a helicopter, which are hidden around the city. These can then be employed in various race modes: “Expect to jump on the sea from a pier, or drive a quad bike in a subway filled with pedestrians.” That doesn’t sound safe at all.

Trailer below, of course.

It actually looks fairly interesting for the $5 they’re asking for it, although I can’t attest to the quality of the final thing.

1. dE says:

Doesn’t look that appealing to me, but I reckon it might be the kind of game that gets famous on Youtube for doing weird stuff with it. And the pricetag is more than fair for that kind of thing.

• kazmakoze says:

Claire. true that Rita`s report is cool… on tuesday I bought a top of the range Dodge since I been bringin in $6201 this – five weeks past and-a little over, 10k last-month. it’s by-far the coolest work I’ve ever done. I began this 9-months ago and straight away started to bring in at least $84, p/h. I follow the instructions here, === http://WWW.BUZZ90.COM ===

Simplisto says:

So it’s pretty much like the Vice City Multiplayer Mod then? Not bad for the price, I suppose.

Henke says:

Hah yeah I was thinking of GTA IV when I saw it. Except with less impressive physics. I mean just look at those cars. So stiff and static! No shifting of the weight and swaying around of the chassis when they brake or round corners. And don’t even get me started on that quadbike. :|

3. JamTheFab says:

Does this have Online Multiplayer. It doesn’t mention it. Hoping it does or this might just have the same fate as Game Dev in ways of distributing.

4. Wurstwaffel says:

Looks way too ambitious for its budget, but it’s 5 bucks so whatever

5. Liudeius says:

Well I’m looking for a good, DRM-free PC racing game, but I’m thinking no, for now. This just looks like GTA/SR with worse graphics and vehicle physics.

6. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Gosh I remember when the guy making it was posting it on forums in its early, early stages, promoting his IndieGoGo campaign for the game, and then the Greenlight posting.

Have to give it to the guy, he has actually taken this thing pretty far.

G-Lord says:

Yeah, I remember that too. Bought the game recently, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the handling of the cars. Still impressive for what it is.

7. MarcP says:

Exactly up my alley. Can’t have enough free roam driving games. Sold! Thanks, RPS.

• MarcP says:

Ok, after trying it out, calling this game open-world is a very, very big stretch. The entire map takes about 10 minutes to explore completely. As for the rest of the game… Collisions are nonexistent with pedestrians, and with most objects end up in a dead stop for your car. You cannot actually jump into the sea, you just bump into it like an invisible wall. Haven’t seen any subway, and you typically only see two or three pedestrians on screen at once. There’s not really any sight worth seeing, nor anything to do.

At €4 I don’t regret my purchase, but even as someone easily amused by dumb car physics, there’s only half a hour worth of game in there. Could be the base framework for something cool with much more free content, but the following dev quote on their official forums doesn’t give me much hope: “… if the game gets certain attention i am planning to make new versions with different cities and environments , new vehicles ext.” (as in, buy our game again?). Wouldn’t recommend this game to anyone, there’s nothing truly bad but it feels like a mod or an early alpha marketed as a finalized product.

8. thecat17 says:

UDK, eh? So that means it’s moddable, right?

If so, I could see this being worth $5 for the amount of mods, alone. And being an open world driving game that allows you to travel on foot, should be enough to tide me over until GTA V comes out for the PC in early 2014 (fingers crossed).

Although a scan through their website did not answer the question of whether OCR is multiplayer.

• JamTheFab says:

I’m gonna assume that multiplayer is out of the question. As the “out of car” part is in 1st person only. Either they didn’t make a character model or it’s not animated properly/looked like anything but garbage when tested on 3rd person.

not related, GTA V is being ported to the Xbox One which runs a modded Windows 8. So therefore the game already has a Windows version. So if it doesn’t get a PC version soon after the consoles get theirs. It’s simply not a porting issue but because Rockstar hates PC’s open market that allows for the actions that pirating takes. Or that’s their claim. Which they made clearly.

So if no PC port with the games launch, then it’s cause Rockstar still has a grudge. Nothing more.

• thecat17 says:

I don’t think Rockstar has a grudge against the PC market. Max Payne 3 proves that for me. It’s probably more like, it takes many millions to produce a GTA game nowadays, and they probably worked out that holding back the PC version makes them more profits. Profits which they can also funnel into the PC version.

• The Random One says:

I’d be all in for a mod that adds all vehicles. All of them. Shopping cart vs. tank, who will win?

9. buzzmong says:

It is only me that thinks cars look ridiculous when they turn from the centre of the vehicle and not from a pivot point at the front axle?

• Spazmok says:

You’re not the only one. Even in a racer as arcade-y as this, it just looks plain wrong. It doesn’t help that the vehicles look weightless, yet remain glued to the ground.

10. The Random One says:

This game to me is kind of like a British car; it’s incredibly ridiculous and ugly, but I can’t help loving it.

11. riverman says:

am I the only one that has this obnoxious problem where youtube videos in RPS lack the “fullscreen” option in safari? works fine in chrome, but it’s like a big “fuck you” on safari. I don’t have this problem with any other website, just imbedded RPS videos.

12. Pan Vidla says:

This looks like one of these games that you’ll play and think: “What am I doing with my life?”