Student Bodies: Our Darker Purpose

By Adam Smith on June 4th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

pupils at the other Hogwarts

Our Darker Purpose is a story about a stylised school/orphanage from which all of the teachers have vanished, leaving the students to form factions and fight to the death, which is precisely what children do, as proven by the terrifying reality television show Lord of the Flies. To make matters worse, all of the furniture is haunted and most of it has teeth. And the school is sitting on top of an otherworldly abyss. With random item drops, character customisation and a Zelda-meets-roguelike vibe, the whole thing looks like Isaac has been dragged from the basement and dropped off at the boarding house on the borderlands. The little blighter even makes a cameo appearance. To nobody’s surprise, there’s a Kickstarter and a quarter of the $40,000 has almost been raised.

While the game will almost certainly have some tricks of its own up those starched sleeves, it does look a lot like The Binding of Isaac. Presumably with more pinafores and less poo.

, , .

1. TsunamiWombat says:

The Scatological ‘humor’ of Binding of Isaac put me off it’s otherwise good formula, so I watch with interest

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

The hidden mystery of a midden’s history.

• kazmakoze says:

Claire. true that Rita`s report is cool… on tuesday I bought a top of the range Dodge since I been bringin in $6201 this – five weeks past and-a little over, 10k last-month. it’s by-far the coolest work I’ve ever done. I began this 9-months ago and straight away started to bring in at least $84, p/h. I follow the instructions here, === http://WWW.BUZZ90.COM ===

• Tony M says:

“The Binding of Isaac with less poo” is exactly what I want.

• The Random One says:

There is no scatological humour in Binding. Every bit of scat is dead serious.

2. nebnebben says:

What does that art style remind me of?
    It looks familiar

• RobinOttens says:

Reminds me of some of Ice Pick Lodge’s concept art and the art style of their upcoming game.

Also reminds that I really maybe should give Binding of Isaac another chance someday. Or wait and see how this one pans out.

• MikoSquiz says:

Edward Gorey, Tim Burton, Don’t Starve

• Convolvulus says:

I second Gorey and add Charles Addams.

• MobileAssaultDuck says:

My gf is a Gorey fanatic, she even has Gorey tattoos.

I shall show her this game.

• solidsquid says:

Looks similar to the style of the Gloom card game

• BooleanBob says:

Geoff Willans & Ronald Searle?

John Allison’s hand-drawn stuff?

3. Monkeh says:

Love the art-style, but the animations look painfully cheap.

4. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

As long as no one parachutes in then all will be well!

‘We’ve got to have rules and obey them. After all, we’re not savages. We’re English, and the English are best at everything’ said a desk with teeth!

5. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Tim Burton. Even the fonts.

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Every time somebody writes something akin to this, a stringy little Gorey kitten wails in pain on its home on a German Expressionist cinema rooftop.

6. bitserum says:

It doesn’t look that much like Binding of Isaac.

It’s cool that a lot of emphasis was put on a dark and brooding atmosphere, I missed that with Binding of Isaac. Also with obviously larger on-screen areas, it feels less claustrophobic than Isaac does.
    I loved Isaac’s gameplay, if this is half as good with the leveling system, I can’t wait to play it, and hope for enough rpg elements.

7. Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Woundwort girl looks like I felt in the year of 1996, so this game has my utter support.

• Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

What a coincidence. I looked just like the globe in the boy’s hand.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

A fallacy surely, you come across as someone quite tactile and becoming, that boy looks scared touching th….. ah!, indeed, a falus see!

• The Random One says:

I was going to try to make a witty reply, but looking at the globe I noticed it’s mirrored (so the boy’s picture has been flipped) and now I can’t think of anything else.

8. aliksy says:

Interesting. Not terribly impressed with the art/animation, but we’ll see. Kind of sick of “leveling” in most of its forms, so that’s a bit of an unsell. Hopefully there’s no grinding or “you should do this tedious thing to get significantly better results later” nonsense.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

You haven’t got the sprit to level?, neither have I. It’s a futile game mechanic unless it keeps you out of areas in which case I’m bubbling! Games that you level and monsters ramp up as you level well it’s a much use as a hat in………………

9. derella says:

I like the idea behind the game, the setting, the art, etc… But it doesn’t look like a game I would find fun/compelling to actually play.

10. lomaxgnome says:

It looks interesting, and I’d love to see more games in the Binding of Isaac style. But Isaac was $5 at release, $15 for a kickstarter is just too much for an impulse chance. Hopefully it gets made though and I’ll check it out then.