TBT: The Black Tower Now Requires Funding

By Jim Rossignol on June 4th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

You might recall that we peered at TBT: The Black Tower some time back and discovered it to be a JRPG-styled game that tips its spiky hairdo to the Playstation RPGs of the past. The game is a sequel, in some ways, to creator Simon Mesnard’s previous effort, ASA: A Space Adventure. See how they have similar titles? That’s genetics. Anyway, while Mesnard created that all himself and with his own cash, this time he needs actors and animators and so forth, and so he’s arrived at IndieGoGo to fund his world-building and cutscene production.

The campaign is asking for a fairly hefty €328,440 ($429,074) and I suspect they’re going to have to work pretty hard to get that figure. They say they need animation help, a programmer, a composer, and of course they need to be able to pay hefty taxes, because this is the EU, and we pay our taxes, right guys?

Might have been an idea to get a native English speaker to read that project description, but I do rather like “programmation” and “graphists”.

1. kwyjibo says:

This is going to be a difficult sell. They’re asking for a big number for indiegogo – a platform which doesn’t have Kickstarter’s traffic. Is there the audience for this on PC?

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

It does seem that you have an idea for a game now, do a VERY basic build with minimal assets and go looking for funding! Seems more like the way charities operate than business.

Still if it produces good games who cares.

Any good games been produced by this funding model?

• kwyjibo says:

What? Businesses have always operated this way.

Only they used to get their funding from institutions like banks.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I’d more say Private Equity than banks and no!, business does not operate in this way. Credit is in short supply ATM agreed but the fact that money is not forthcoming from the usual channels tells a story in itself.

I see a bunch of people going round with the begging bowl because they will recreate an experience from ten years ago. Whey man, if you want to subsidise an unregistered charity on you go!

I hope Lost Alpha sees the light of day, I’ll even make a DLC contribution once it does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Calabi says:

Yeah they should just make it without any funding at all.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

WHOOOOOSH! (maybe they need to to gain a consumer base and market share)

• kazmakoze says:

Claire. true that Rita`s report is cool… on tuesday I bought a top of the range Dodge since I been bringin in $6201 this – five weeks past and-a little over, 10k last-month. it’s by-far the coolest work I’ve ever done. I began this 9-months ago and straight away started to bring in at least $84, p/h. I follow the instructions here, === http://WWW.BUZZ90.COM ===

• RobinOttens says:

That’s the way it’s always worked hasn’t it? Or at least, there’s plenty of developers that’ve done this; make a prototype/demo and then go pitch it for funding. Only difference is these guys are pitching to the end-user, not the publishers.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Indeed, class action is futile with no assets to go after and it was only $10 after all!

2. Crosmando says:

300,000 euros?! Wouldn’t that be close to 1 million USD? Game would be lucky to even get half that on Kickstarter, let alone Indiegogo

• N'Al says:

From the article’s text: €328,440 ($429,074)

• Tams80 says:

I have no idea what exchange rate you’re working with!

• MaXimillion says:

And this is why you should always do your crowdfunding in dollars.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

As others have noted: hardly. It’s only been a couple of years since the Euro’s passed the USD in value. So you probably ought to consider prices in Euros as ‘same price, then add a bit’. The pound sterling, however, is a whole ‘nother kettle of fish. Or eels. Or ducks.

• Blackseraph says:

That’s not really correct, euro has been more valuable than dollar since start of year 2003.

Or is 10 years same as couple of years for you?

3. apocraphyn says:

Goddamn. It’s as if one particularly angry Final Fantasy fan finally got angry at waiting for Square Enix to create another decent entry to the franchise (or something that isn’t FFXIII-related) and just decided to make a Final Fantasy game themselves.

The guy with the sword is basically a fusion of Cloud/Zack and Squall (the central protags) from FFVII and FFVIII, respectively. The world vibe and environments seem heavily reminiscent of FFVIII – these aren’t positive things, it just comes off as borderline plagiarism. The animations are non-existent. The level of English being applied…eh. As Jim said himself, they could have at least got someone that’s a native English speaker to proof it, jeez – even the video clip’s caption above features the typo of “heros”. Also, ‘Cube Power’?

As someone who has been enjoying Final Fantasy titles since they started popping up on the SNES, I’m assuming that I’m part of the target audience – and I’m certainly not impressed with what I’ve seen.

• RobinOttens says:

As a fellow FF fan, I’m unimpressed as well.

Though if it works out and this game gets made, I might check it out.

• Lawful Evil says:

As someone who has never played any Final Fantasy I am more than intrigued, albeit not impressed per se. I also quite like the music.

4. Lev Astov says:

Woah, dat music in the first town… Is that glitch piano? Clearly he’s got the music taken care of.

5. Skhalt says:

And how do you say “graphist” in English, out of curiosity?

So disappointed when I realized it was a JRPG and not an adaptation of the Stephen King novels.

6. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

No robots smerkin’ tabs and pipes, I will gracefully withdraw from the process!

lowprices says:

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, but I can’t see this succeeding. While the really successful crowd funding projects are, by and large, the products of nostalgia, it’s usually when an old industry ‘name’ is returning to a now-unfashionable (but fondly remembered) genre. I can’t see the same out pouring of support for a small team with so little to show at the moment. Now if Hironobu Sakaguchi came to Kickstarter…

8. rustybroomhandle says:

Project looks hella interesting, but as has been said, the amount they are asking is a bit steep. I’m not even too sure we’ll make the piddly $10000 we’re asking on our own Indiegogo, despite interest being rather strong on out Greenlight page.

With any luck they have some killer marketing and can help raise the profile of Indiegogo as a whole.

9. Revolving Ocelot says:

The game designer in black fled across the IndieGogo, and the funding followed.

10. lordcooper says:

I’d bet a fair amount of cash this campaign is going to fail, which is a damn shame. Why are people still using indiegogo over Kickstarter?

• rustybroomhandle says:

The amount of hassle required to have a Kickstarter if you are not in the US or UK is massive. Getting someone to let you use their US bank account is the easy part. Beyond this you have to potentially deal with tax implications in two separate countries, and the only way to get around this is some weirdness I don’t quite understand that involves multiple company registrations.

• lordcooper says:

Ah, I was under the false impression that Kickstarter being UK friendly now meant that it was also Europe friendly.

11. Zyrxil says:

I don’t think this can work. I think intrinsic to a modern 3d JRPG is high budget and polish, which they obviously don’t have the cash or present capability to pull off.

gfrenz says:

Why is Kenny Rogers rocking a multi barrelled machine gun?

jrodman says:

Let me know when they move to kickstarter. Indiegogo is totally fly-by-night.