The Many Games Of The RPS Community

By Jim Rossignol on June 4th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

There has never been a more suitable time for you to play games with RPS readers. And they’re up to all kinds of larks and japes in games such as diverse as Warframe and Star Trek Online. There are familiar popular collaborative pastimes such as Planetside 2, Mechwarrior Online, and Neverwinter, but also newer plans such as an RPS racing community, a Rising Storm group, and even plans for the unreleased Hardware.

Of course, if you are in the orbit of London you could always make the collaboration a real-world one, with the social club. I mean why not? Anyway, whatever your tastes, there are many others. Check out the General Sociability forum for more.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. jha4ceb says:

Not forgetting our active Guild Wars 2 community:

• Gunrun says:

Seriously.

• kazmakoze says:

Claire. true that Rita`s report is cool… on tuesday I bought a top of the range Dodge since I been bringin in $6201 this – five weeks past and-a little over, 10k last-month. it’s by-far the coolest work I’ve ever done. I began this 9-months ago and straight away started to bring in at least $84, p/h. I follow the instructions here, === http://WWW.BUZZ90.COM ===

ChainsawHands says:

Why does Jim hate Blood Bowl? :'(

Makariel says:

First rule of Blood Bowl: you never mention Blood Bowl.

• DarkMalice says:

Second rule of Blood Bowl: foul anyone talking about Blood Bowl.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Third rule of Blood Bowl: A player is in an offside position if three conditions are met: first, the player must be in the opposing team’s half of the field. Second, the player must be in front of the ball. And third, there must be fewer than two opposing players between him and the opposing touchdown line. Any attacker that is level with or behind the ball is not in an offside position and may never be sanctioned for an offside offence.

• Everblue says:

He doesn’t hate the game, he avoids it because he is afraid of Weasel’s horrible murdering minotaur.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I’d totally play Blood Bowl with RPS peeps.

ChainsawHands says:

What are you waiting for? Come and join us! We’re very nice. Well mostly quite nice anyway.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I see the many threads, cups, bowls, leagues, spreadsheets, Steam groups, Google groups, and versions of Blood Bowl, then I decide to go and do a nice relaxing hour of hyperdimensional supercalculus instead.

• SanguineAngel says:

Yes, I’m staring at it all now, tempted to jump in but oh so very very terrified.

That and I am pretty terrible at blood bowl but it’s the taking part and fouling that counts!

Edit: Seriously, where do I start on there?

• Palindrome says:

The (aptly named) Divisions of Death is a good place as its rookie friendly in that you will usually start out by being horrible mangled by other rookie teams and not 2000+ TV monstrosities.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Narrowing it down to “the one to join if you’re a beginner” is precisely the hint I needed. Thanks.

• President Weasel says:

Welcome, bienvenue, aloha, comtraya, kameloso!

The Divisions of Death is the best one to join, there’s a couple of weeks til the new season starts but that will give you the ideal amount of time to join the thread, say hi, make a TV1000 team, get told that you’re brave but foolish choosing team X and should choose teams A, B, or C if you’re new to multiplayer, spark off another round of the eternal “which teams should a rookie choose” conversation, decide to go with the team you first thought of, and put your details in the spreadsheet.

There’s also the challenge league, but it can be kind of tricky finding a match unless you’ve got some blood bowl players in your steam list, and the best way to do that is probably to join the Divisions.

(The answer is orcs. Orcs are the best).

3. Ninja Foodstuff says:

I have a deep-seated hatred of other people. Can I get involved?

• PopeRatzo says:

I understand completely. The good news is you don’t have to actually be in the same room with anyone to join one of these groups and play.

Plus, if you’re easily annoyed, these are the people you want to game with. They are some of the least annoying people I’ve ever encountered. At least that was my experience from the Planetside 2 group.

4. Bhazor says:

No one interested in a bit of old fashioned man shoots?

5. PopeRatzo says:

Wait, there’s an RPS racing group? I am so in.

6. Axyl says:

I have been having much fun blowing holes in the Rock Planet Shotgun Planetside2 Outfit.
    Silly purples. Don’tcha know the mighty SkillHawk reigns supreme?

They’re Vanu, I’m Terran, hence the blowing holes in them. That counts, right? :D

*OCB* HMAxyl

7. Tom Walker says:

The last couple of weeks, the old RPS-centric TF2 group, Rock Paper Sandvich has popped back up in a small way too.

I think I’m now ready to go back to TF2. The pain of the Mann Co. store update has finally faded.

Tom De Roeck says:

There’s a PlanetSide2 call to arms happening soonish too, on a sunday this time. Im sure Jim will keep you informed.

Hanban says:

Here is some unbiased information about the RPS Planetside 2 outfits.

The NC one is like totally the best one. The friendliest, most handsome and wonderful people to have ever walked the earth are part of RTRS. So you should definitely join RTRS if you’re considering Planetside 2.

’cause FREEDOM and stuff.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

‘The NC one is like totally the best one’ you have just alienated 2/3 of RPS readers, good luck with your totes amaze balls NC shenanigans!

Which one does the hearty back slapping and guffawing?

• President Weasel says:

I think we can all agree that the Terran Republic are definitely the worst, even if the majority of RPS players are drawn to the purple lasers, disco stylings, and Scary Voice Man pronouncements of the Vanu.

10. Maniac says:

Dont forget the lovely (unofficial) Rock Paper Shotgun minecraft server!
    Full of friendly, excellent folks and… Pritty buildings and stuff!

• vivlo says:

agreed !…
      even though it’s been quite the longest time….

11. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

\o/

Thanks for mentioning Race, Petrol, Skid! If you’ve got any MP racing games, arcade or sim, join up, post what titles you have and we’ll get something going.

Oh, and if anyone’s got the classic Rainbow 6 3 Raven Shield, we’ve made a little Steam group for that too which has provided some really entertaining MP. Join up if you’re interested!

12. Astartes says:

This might be an adequate place to find out more about you Humans.

13. Totally heterosexual says:

If the rumors of king of fighters XIII coming to steam are true, then that would a pretty damn great game to do some casual matches in with rps folks.

If anyone else here even plays kof :(

sasayan says:

I’m always up for some KoF.

• ZyloMarkIII says:

More fighting games on the PC never hurts. As much as I enjoyed playing in the arcade back in the day (I still can’t believe I can say that with validity), I just don’t have the time to trek my butt over there and back any more.

14. trjp says:

Ironic you should bring-up the Neverwinter Guild – because it’s deader than dead thanks to NO officers actually playing anymore…

Current plan is to dump the guild and remake it so we can actually INVITE people to it – however there is much apathy I suspect…

Shame really but the guild was setup with a small number of officers and they didn’t have the ability to make more officers – which was a bit of a dead-end really…

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I remeber John staing he was liking the Admin side of running a guild. He has probably gone to hone his admin skills on a good game or it was just a passing fad, who knows? Moving and shaking in the womens movement is a time sink!

Coccyx says:

Don’t forget about the thriving Dota community! The RPS Dota Forums still get some use (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?28-DOTA-2) but mostly games are organised through steam and the unofficial RPS mumble (server.herosquad.org, default port). People of all skill levels are abound, feel free to give me a shout on steam (searching for Coccyx should find it) if interested.

Oh, and we don’t all make excessive use of brackets (sorry).

16. MrLebanon says:

What’s out there for the NA RPSers?

• m0ntag says:

Glad you asked! As an American RPSer, I’m pleased to tell you that we’re just as involved as the friends across the pond. Most games can be played with Europeans and we always have a blast. If you want more information and to meet the best of the best, join the ‘Rock, Paper, Shotgun’ group on Steam at http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rps and enter the group chat room. Much merriment is had in there and you will regularly see calls to join multiplayer shenanigans. I guarantee, you won’t be disappointed.*

m0ntag

*actual disappointment varies

• Mr. Icarus says:

I’ll second what Montag had to say, there’s plenty of us lurking about.

Be sure to check out the Rock, Paper, Dota group, it’s a mixed group of EU and NA, and there’s usually a small dedicated set of us in NA playing at night when all the EU’s have drifted off to bed.

17. m0ntag says:

Let us not forget the exciting adventures of the exciting military of FolkARPS in ARMA 2/3! A glorious community that doesn’t take the game too seriously and is always inviting. No need for an invite or an admission form, just drop by on one of the sessions, point the guns at the bad guys, and quit walking across the rocks because goddamn it I have fix too many broken legs already.

All further information is in that little web-connecting-phrase. Tractors and Makarovs may be supplied while supplies last. Hope to see you there, Comrades.

m0ntag

• Synesthesia says:

This! Dont forget about Folk ARPS. We have sessions at least every tuesday and sunday, with 50+ people missions! Long live Aziz!

• DXN says:

*waves FA banner around furiously*

Come along, it’s loads of fun!

18. medwards says:

EVE Online players (Especially new or bored peoples): RPS Holdings is accepting applications. Optimized for the casual player (we’re only really active two nights a week) and the most crass of humour. Our new direction situates us firmly in high security space where I, RPS Holdings alumni, and new German friends will be investigating the joys of suicide ganking!

Join RPS Community in-game, or send WobblySpacePirate an eve mail if you’re interested. Or get to know us on the livestream every Wednesday 2100CEST @ http://twitch.tv/ifbar

• Max Planck says:

I tried hanging out in the in-game channel for a bit, but the ‘gay-this’, ‘homo-that’ and ‘faggot-suchandsuch’ language kind of sucked. Are you people always like that or was it a theme day of sorts?

19. SominiTheCommenter says:

If you want to stab people in the back (and in the game), com talk to us in the Rock, Paper, Stabbin': http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSTAB
    Currently playing ACBrotherhood

20. guygodbois00 says:

We need more Hawken around these here parts. And there’s Steam nowhere in sight.