Murdered: Soul Suspect Is, Er, Announced

By John Walker on June 5th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Well release some screenshots then, Square.

This whole industry is bonkers. Launch trailers are released days ahead of launches, there are trailers for trailers to announce release dates, and pre-order packages for games that are barely off the whiteboard. So perhaps I’m becoming inured to it all when I barely bat a beautiful eyelid at an “announcement trailer” for Square’s Murdered: Soul Suspect, for which there was a teaser trailer in February.

It turns out this is a very extended version of the teaser, which was clearly cut from this all those months ago. Quite why it’s taken until now to show the original is not clear, but it could well be the brief glimpse of in-game footage at the very end.

As we already knew, the game asks you to solve your own murder. The new trailer makes this a bit more clear. It seems you were thrown out of an upstairs window by a hooded figure, and in your state of unconsciousness appear beside your own body to watch Mr Hood shoot you seven times in the torso. At which point, ghost.

The dead man, Ronan O’Connor, is inevitably a “detective with a chequered past”. After being killed he enters the limbo of Dusk, and can only get out once he’s identified his killer. Which he’s going to do with a bunch of supernatural powers he now possesses. In Salem. It’s great to see a new IP, no doubt. It’s just, if only any of the words in the previous sentence didn’t feel wholly inevitable. But at least he’s not hunting down the killer of his wife and daughter, I guess, as narcissistic a theme as it’s become instead. Ronan can read the minds of the living, and influence thoughts and actions of those still corporeal, which certainly sounds like a lovely idea.

Describing itself as an “action/adventure”, how it will be played is unclear at this point, but I suspect some LA Noire themes. Although I hope to goodness that unlike Rockstar, the team at Square will have played ANY adventure games ever, and not make the tortuous run of idiotic rookie errors that plagued Noire. At this point, Square are keeping useful details about how the game will play to themselves, so we must only hope for the best.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. 1Life0Continues says:

Needs more Unchained Melody.

Hope it has more than just a… ghost… of a chance.

Oh shut up.

Seriously though, this looks intriguing. I await more news eagerly.

2. Lars Westergren says:

He should wear one of those “Instant ghost – just add bullets.” t-shirts.

3. Penguin_Factory says:

I’m supporting this game just because the main character is called Ronan and that’s my name.

I mean, I guess it looks alright. But mainly just because of the name thing.

4. RakeShark says:

I hope we can be seen by, and in turn piss off, cats.

5. Harlander says:

Thrown out of a window and shot repeatedly on the ground? Is the player character the woman from the opening of Gunpoint?

(Oh, it’s a dude? Bah, let that be a lesson kids, read the words)

6. dmoe says:

Murdered Douche Bag: The Game (Starring Ronan The Douche Bag Ghost)

7. Crosmando says:

Their needs to be a law that teasers/trailers for games must contain gameplay

8. S Jay says:

Being a ghost and all, hopefully this means no locked door+newspaper puzzles.

• Crosmando says:

It’s being touted as an “action/adventure” game, and it’s being published by Squeenix, so the chances of their being ANY puzzles at all is low. Chances are higher of the game being 5-hours of intense, visceral, cinematic, emotionally-charged cover-based ghost shooting against evil spirit in haunted linear corridors.

9. Grey Ganado says:

Bullet holes will be the health bar. You’ve heard it here first!

10. belgand says:

Seems odd that he was shot on the right side of the chest and not the left. Had it been done the other way a number of those would have gone through the heart rather than mincing up one of the lungs.

11. devronius says:

Sounds like a grim and gritty version of the amazing DS puzzler Ghost Trick, which I am all for.

• mechabuddha says:

I came here to post this exact same thing.

I know Ghost Trick is for the Nintendo DS, but everyone should play it if possible.

12. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Reminds me of Discworld Noir:

> “I’d had some bad days since I started as a private investigator, but I’d never woken up dead before.”

13. Jahkaivah says:

The L.A Noire comparison might be fitting. I’ve heard people describe that game as a gritty but inferior version of Phoenix Wright. It would be unfortunate if this turns out to be a gritty but inferior version of the Phoenix Wright team’s one other game Ghost Trick.

Comment on this story