Oh Thank God: Fancier Spelunky Coming To PC At Last

By Alec Meer on June 5th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

So many times, my finger has hovered over the purchase button on the spit’n’polished XBLA version of amazeballs roguelike/platformer Spelunky. Every time, I’ve thought ‘no, surely it’ll be on PC any day now. PC was its original home – it would only be right’, and my finger was withdrawn. Actually, that’s a lie, most of the time it was ‘Oh Christ, the Xbox Live interface is just horrendous and what are Microsoft Points in pounds and screw this, I’ll just play the old version again’, but the outcome was the same.

My impatient patience has paid off at last, however – the shiniest version of these random, lethal dungeon adventures really is coming to PC any day now.

Here’s old vs new for you:

“This Summer” is all we have in terms of a date for the new version. Games keep doing that, which is exceptionally unhelpful given it is Summer right now. Or have North Americans somehow evicted June into Spring? Anyway: Summer, Steam/GoG/Humble, better graphics, more stuff, and no doubt there’ll be a contingent who claim Spelunky Classic remains the better version. Me, I’m very excited. Is it Summer yet?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. GallonOfAlan says:

I’m spunky for Spelunky.

• pupsikaso says:

Does it add anything other than a different aesthetic? I actually prefer the older look.

• Koozer says:

It adds multiplayer, you can wear a turban, and you can replace damsels with pugs.

• viewtifuljon says:

It changes the mechanics (queuing up bullets at the edge of the screen no longer works, for example), new enemies, a few new secret areas, new items, and a lot of new miscellaneous stuff.

• MikoSquiz says:

Can you play with the new mechanics and the old graphics?

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, the old pixelart was actually very nice pixelart, not lazy mismash pixelart.

• viewtifuljon says:

Mishmash pixel art? It’s looks just hand-drawn to me.

Personally, I really love the new aesthetic. The lighting effects are a particularly nice touch. However, I absolutely detest the music.

• Soolseem says:

I love the new art. There are lots of lovely touches when you see it in motion. But it took me months to forgive the new music for existing.

• viewtifuljon says:

Oh man that music is so fucking bad isn’t it? I have absolutely no idea how they could listen to some of those tracks and go “oh yeah, this sounds completely adequate and not the least bit terrible”. Shit’s borderline offensive, dawg.

• LionsPhil says:

I am not saying the new art is lazy mismash pixelart; it’s quite clearly not pixelart at all.

I’m talking about the 80% of other indie games that go “graphics…ah sod it, rectangle tool in Paint”.

• trilogique says:

I’m more appalled you find the music bad. it’s fucking fantastic, but maybe you’re just not a fan of video game music.

• Caiman says:

Maybe it’s just trailer editing, but the original version comes across as a thoughtful, gradual platformer where every enemy could kill if you’re not concentrating. The new version comes across as a madcap action fest platformer. I’m not sure I want yet another one of those.

2. MuscleHorse says:

Excellent. Also could you chaps remind me of the name of that game you wrote an article about a month or so ago that you described as being a sort of RPG version of this?

3. NailBombed says:

Oh HELL yes, finally!

4. Monkeh says:

Almost bought a 360 for this, glad I didn’t! :D

golem09 says:

It IS summer, give me. I’ll be very disappointed, if Rogue Legacy and Spelunky arrive in the same week.

• Grey Poupon says:

My guess would be that this won’t come out before june 4th since I’m also guessing the year’s delay was because the publishing deal they made with Microsoft for XBLA had “not allowed to publish this software on any other platforms” in the small print.

Vesuvius says:

Yusssss!

7. QualityJeverage says:

HELL yes.

The Xbox version of the game is fantastic, well worth paying for. My gf and I still play it regularly, but both of us have been wishing it would come to PC for the longest time.

My smile is large. Very large.

8. GameCat says:

Why changing such nice pixelart to digital art? :( And that first version is free.

9. JD Ogre says:

“Anyway: Summer, Steam/GoG/Humble, better graphics, more stuff, and no doubt there’ll be a contingent who claim Spelunky Classic remains the better version.”

Free Version has a better audio & visual aesthetic. It’s like with Desktop Dungeons – the original 16-bit stylings suits it better.

New Version has the expanded gameplay and better controls.

If we could have a New Version with Free Version graphics & sound, it’d be perfect.

DrScuttles says:

Even if you could change between graphics/music somehow there will still be people who think that the enhanced version is inferior; just look at Cave Story +. Sometimes I get the impression that Nicalis’ changing a line of Balrog’s dialogue was worse than how Return of the Jedi got George Lucas’d.

10. rocketman71 says:

As long as Games for Windows Pieceofshit is nowhere near this, I’m in.

Oh, and no Windows 8 exclusivity, of course.

Vartarok says:

Which reminds me: do you have any intentions of reviewing FEZ?

You made such a fuss when it was announced but you haven’t said a word about the game since.

• Jac says:

Fez is a masterpiece. No need for a review go buy it!

• sub-program 32 says:

Unless you have an intel integrated graphics card that is 2000 or below. Cos then it won’t work at all in any way.

• jamesgecko says:

Not that games not working is a novel or unusual experience for Intel GMA users. I say this as a man who had to do all sorts of terrible things to config files to get decent FPS, and who had to wait until upgrading to play DiRT, Orcs Must Die, Magicka, NyxQuest, etc because they wouldn’t even launch. The Civ V demo had a bunch of graphical corruption. I hear the new Baldur’s Gate revamp also had big issues on Intel.

Intel GMAs break games. It’s a thing.

12. Bobka says:

This, plus the confirmation of Thief’s PC port, sort of eases the sting of Last Of Us’ glowing reviews.

In any case, thanks Mossmouth! I’m looking forward to it.

• Seraphithan says:

By some arcane magic my blu-ray player also plays videogames, so yay me! :P

13. ScubaMonster says:

I’d gladly buy this game ten times. Truly great.

14. FTomato says:

This is a bit hearsay, but I just wanted to point out that it’s also coming to PS3 and more importantly Vita at around the same time as well. I think this game would work very well as a mobile game, so this is a reminder to consider picking up that version if you’re interested in Spelunky on the go.

• David Bliff says:

Yeah I’m excited that the game is going to be relaunched on PC so more people can discover it and support the developer, but it’s definitely a Vita purchase for me. I really can’t think of a game that will have the Vita stuck in my hands more than this.

Also, your comment isn’t hearsay, though it is heresy.

15. gotno says:

the xbla version is great. i just wish there was a way to turn off permadeath for multiplayer, or at least make it easier to come back to life via the ability to share hearts or some such mechanic. because being a ghost while everyone else has lots of fun is just.. kinda lame. i hope, at least, that the game is reasonably easily modable.

16. JonMinton says:

That looks like Rick Dangerous from back-in-the-day. Anyone remember it?
    Also, prefer the old look.

• LionsPhil says:

Well, they both draw pretty obvious stylistic cues from Indiana Jones films.

Spelunky’s a lot easier than Rick Dangerous, though.

• JonMinton says:

That’s pretty much always the case, I guess. But then games in the 80s were only a few kb and levels long, and most people didn’t have much of a hope of completing them. All for games where you can play what you paid for, not just the first couple of levels again and again and again.
        … I think I’ve just cured myself of my nostalgia!

17. Shadrach says:

Shouldn’t it be “Oh Thank Yu” ?

18. Fullforce says:

Co-op on this game on 360 is some of the most ridiculous fun I’ve ever had. The perfect local multiplayer game to accidentally murder your friends with. Can’t wait for this PC release.

• The Random One says:

Especially if you have friends like mine, who accidentally push you over an edge then complain that you’ve left them behind, outside the screen.

Lambchops says:

“Spelunky Classic was/is free, but without doubt the newer version won’t be. I’m ok with that, given how much of the old one I’ve played for no-pennies.”

Came here to say this. I’ve waxed lyrical about Spelunky enough in the past so I wont repeat myself again.

20. Skabooga says:

Wait a minute, I thought we were still in spring? Or have I overslept again?

RedViv says:

As far as meteorology and the weather are concerned, June is Summer for the Northern hemisphere. Of course the weather wobbles as it is prone to, and the further south you are the earlier you will actually see summer-ish things happen.

• gotno says:

officially, summer doesn’t start until the summer solstice. that’s how we make sure it’s only three months long.

• The Random One says:

I live in a metropolis. Summer, like all seasons, does nothing but slightly change the prices of certain fruit.

• belgand says:

And in San Francisco it’s one of our coldest seasons because high inland temperatures and cold ocean water leads to a tremendous amount of fog.

21. b0rsuk says:

Old visuals are crisper, more lively. Contrast looks worse in the XBLA version.

22. Arkh says:

Anyone who played the fancier version, can you please answer a question:

Is it easier than the original? There are big changes?

I loved the original and the difficulty, I’m afraid it could be easier.

MarkN says:

I’d say not – by and large. In fact you may well find it harder at first due to some mechanical changes.

I’ve played thousands of games of original Spelunky and Spelunky HD kicked my arse hard at first. Certain bits are easier – you can breeze through the ice caverns if they’ve managed to destroy themselves, for example. But there are additional challenges (tunnel guy’s final challenge is a beauty), and there’s always Hell – which I still haven’t reached (failing to reach by the merest whisker – killed by a poxy bat after being in the right place at the right time after completing all the goals – bah!).

I love the remake – it’s marvellous. Before Spelunky HD I’d have taken the original as the third on my list of Desert Island Games (Dwarf Fortress, Robotron, Spelunky) – that’s how highly I rate it. After the HD version, I’d take that instead. It’s properly ace.

23. clippa says:

Beat that, big noses

Overjoyed that this is finally coming back to pc. The tarted up remake is amazing. It’s only a small handful of shmups that’s stopping me from selling my asian 360 now.

24. Lemming says:

The original Spelunky character is CLEARLY an extremely pixelated woman in a hard hat exploring a metaphorical cave (representing her womb of course), coming to terms with her womanhood. Yet the HD version is now some bulbous-headed male FORCING HIS WAY IN to said cave!?

I’m APPALLED that RPS hasn’t picked up on this. It’s as if they’ve forgotten all they stand for!

Yours,