Freeze Maim: Metro – Last Light’s ‘Mobius’ Trailer

By Adam Smith on June 6th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Launch trailers are released weeks before anything launches, trailers have their own trailers, and one day there will be a fifteen millisecond teaser for the reveal of the logo that is set to appear in a five second viral video that is itself advertising an advert for a web-based spin-off of your favourite game. I’m sorry, that’s just the way of it. Metro: Last Light is defying convention by opting for a post-release trailer that is there minutes long and also a thing of beauty. The creation of Alexander Bereznyak, 4A’s lead technical artist, the ‘Mobius’ video is a journey through a single moment in the life (and death) of a Metro station. The camera drifts through the frozen figures, tableaux in a high-tech ghost train, and lingers on scenes of desperation, heroism and catastrophe. Watch.

I played Metro: Last Light for long enough to drink in the the perversely beautiful grime and lesions, but not long enough to escape from my escorts. I fear a future in which every game is an escort quest and the player is always the person being escorted. That said, I am unashamedly impressed by the ‘visor-wiping’ button. Puddles do seem to aim their splashback directly at the face, giving the wiping hand plenty to do, but it’s a nifty effect.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. phelix says:

So it’s like the Dead Island trailer, but with more fitting music?

2. Archipelagos says:

For me that’s the best trailer of the year so far. It’s fantastic.

3. Korvus Redmane says:

Oh. Wow.

4. andytt66 says:

Missplet a three as a there there.
    Had a (semi/notreally) amusing quip about people who get all fractitious about “there” and “they’re” but got all overcome with crippling anxiety that I would be misconstrued…

5. altum videtur says:

That… was actually way more upsetting than I expected it to be. The “frozen in a single moment in time” gimmick was quite cool too. Also found the ending way better than I should have, cheesy as it may have been.

Still doesn’t take the throne away from The Witcher 2 Xbox Launch trailer, but it is certainly something to watch.

Here you go, btw.

6. Curry the Great says:

Great trailer, really evokes some emotion.

This is what Metro should focus on imo, desperate survival of humanity. Not stupid nazis and communists that somehow have thousands of men to spare to throw into senseless conflict.

• Screamer says:

The factions do come from the books though. That said I would love an open world, Elder Scrolls type game, where we could just explore the whole Metro. O.O

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

> that somehow have thousands of men to spare to throw into senseless conflict

When resources are scarce, people will fight for them. And without a larger organising social structure (government or similar), people will group into small tribes, and fight other tribes.

The only stupid thing is that the enmity of these groups still seems to be somewhat based on communist and nazi ideology, rather than an arbitrary othering of opposing tribes. Maybe it’s just not been long enough since the bombs fell.

• scatterbrainless says:

I think this is a part of the discrepancy between the Anglophone world and continental Europe regarding the relevance of these ideologies. Both of these left a far more lasting mark upon the countries directly occupied or in contact with them than in the parts of the Western world that have remained pretty steadfastly democratic-capitalist for the past couple hundred years. I kind of like that Metro is presented as an analogy for the crises of modernity, death of good and evil and all that, for which both of these are historically considered both terrifying and humanly legitimate responses. Also shooting things in their stupid head-faces with my four-barreled shotgun.

7. enfuego says:

I know it’s a good one when I watch it twice, and while I know somewhere in the recesses of my brain that there isn’t necessarily any connection between trailer and game (see Dead Island), that fact doesn’t make me want to play this any less. Well done.

8. Hunchback says:

Excellent trailer, actually amazing. Does the game great justice.

As for Metro Last Light, i was so surprised by the sheer awesomeness of it that i was really stunned, finished it in three sittings. I haven’t played the first Metro games, but this one was simply brilliant, i put up there in the top three FPS together with Halflife, Halflife 2, Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, Portal 2. Well, guess it’s not really a top 3, but doesn’t matter, those are the bestest ever.
    I guess everyone has already played it or read reviews about it, so i won’t go into detail why the game is so amazing, but damn, it’s awesome.

9. KhanIHelpYou says:

As silly as it might sound, that visor-wiping button was possibly the best feature in the entire game. My immersion was increased tenfold by its existence and I now want it in every FPS where the main character wears a mask/goggles. Bonus points if its done with bineural audio.

• Skyblade says:

Did you ever play Star Wars: Republic Commando? I remember in that there was an awesome (although automatic) visor wiping system which would periodically clear off the alien guts/mud etc that was thrown at the screen. Probably the first time i had seen something like that in a game, and i’m glad to see that a similar feature made it into Last Light.

10. monstermagnet says:

I’m just getting started on MetroLL. I got it free with my gtx670. It’s also my first gaming pc. I’ve been reading this site for a long time, but never registered b/c I’ve always been a console gamer. Keyboard and mouse is…..well let’s say I’m warming up to it faster than I thought I would:). So anyway, hello everybody! It’s good to be here!

11. engion3 says:

Wow that was pretty fucking cool. I was going to wait for a price drop on this game but I may purchase it now…

12. Lusketrollet says:

If only the game itself had been half that epic.

• faelnor says:

Unfortunately, it is merely twice that epic*

• Skyblade says:

^ This

• brotherthree says:

This game was twice as good as Bioshock Infinite, IMO it is the best FPS of 2013 (so far)

• Screamer says:

This!

My only gripe is I did everything “right” and still didn’t get the canon ending. I am happy with the ‘bad’ ending though. Fits in well as well.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Screamer: I’m expect the “bad” ending is the canon ending, just as it was for Metro 2033.

Scare quotes are definitely warranted, because the bad ending is not bad. It’s differently good?

13. Iskariot says:

I would love Metro sooo much, if it wasn’t about mutants.

14. altum videtur says:

Well, since people is talking about the game:
    It was K, didn’t quite end up finishing it though. Switched voices to Russian (much better than English version) but story and characters… left something to be desired nonetheless. Cool world, I enjoyed the supernatural flair, but being a diehard STALKER fanboi, I have to say, low sci-fi droning-and-vague-horror settings immerse me more. Probably because of how… Hemingwayesque the STALKER games are with their presentation of the world. “Terse” is probably the word I’m looking for here.
    Anyhow. Wish the helmet wipe thing was in every game from now on, even when it’s not appropriate.
    ESPECIALLY when it’s not appropriate.

15. Monkeh says:

IMO that was a fantastic trailer and unlike the one Dead Island did, fits very well with the game.

16. VeloriumTrigger says:

They say that trailers are the opposite of the whole thing, in case of Metro: Last Light – it’s not!

Running it in a mid-level video card in medium settings, I find the game excellently executed both gameplay and graphics. I’ve noticed that they lessen some distractions such as changing filters and charging flashlight batteries. And yeah, the helmet wipe is cool too.

Exploring every corners give you the feel of something might come out from nowhere. I think the object interactions should’ve been improved.

The tab notes are interesting and I suggest take time to read them. However, they are hard to find, so I hope this walkthrough would help you out: http://www.cheatmasters.com/blog/2013/05/19/metro-last-light-walkthrough-guide/

Comment on this story