Lethal Dose Is Ten Minutes Of Interesting

By John Walker on June 6th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Extremely minimal, but beautifully presented, Lethal Dose is a micro-game of murder.

It would be madness to tell you what happens, since the game is so short, but instead I encourage you to just experience the brief minutes with a gorgeously presented noir assassin piece. Its black and white design, a sort of paper-crafty animation, and some excellent music, give purpose to what is, in all honesty, pressing some arrow keys for a bit. But it tells a compact, interesting tale in as few beats as seems possible.

A couple of the chapters unfortunately contain an entirely arbitrary choice, one of which will be “wrong” and require you to start that section again. Which seems a shame. Also, if I don’t opt for the earlier ending, it’s locking up for me after the window jump mission – although I can’t see anyone else reporting this error. Still, the concept and design is pretty enough that I feel I’ve had a worthwhile experience up to there. (Playing it through a second time to get to the same crash wasn’t perhaps quite as good.) Well worth a look.

Cheers IndieGames.com.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. pupsikaso says:

Is this going to be the same kind of “experience” as that fishing for roaches game?

• LTK says:

It’s a lot more like Gravity Bone, if that’s what you want to know.

2. The_Hunter says:

It’s neat…but this release is a mess. The game does in fact lockup right after you reach your getaway car…and that same mission fails to label the target or staircases.

I’d love to complete it one day, seemed like an extreme minimalist Fahrenheit/Heavy Rain

3. Bhazor says:

I’m impressed because despite lasting just ten minutes it still managed to feel too long and managed to include both way too many button mashing prompts and a show stopping bug.

4. CMaster says:

Beautifully presented, but honestly a pretty awful game. Pretty much pure QTE. With a combo mouse/keyboard movement system the rest of the time, for which the mouse is entirely superfluous.

Sorta like a slow, 40s, version of Hotline Miami, but with QTEs instead of perfect timing.

• vivlo says:

mous :O ? so THAT’s why she was facing always the same direction… indeed perturbating it was… the commands explanation didn”t say a thing about mouse, that’s why i didnt bother trying

and indeed, it’s realy too slow. I’d say quite charming nonetheless, if you can abstract yourself froom that slow pace.

5. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Nice, almost. The gratuitous “you made the wrong choice now do it all again” and subsequent lockup didn’t really make me smile, and the music frequently cut out at random moments, completely popping the atmosphere. It’s good looking but nothing more. I guess something profound happens if you choose the early ending? The game didn’t really make me want to check that out after I ragequit due to aforementioned stupidities.

EDIT: And also, as above poster mentioned, the meaningless control system, where it says on the first screen that I use spacebar and arrow keys, but apparently I can also look around with the mouse, for no good reason other than to make me move my hands around a lot.

• Ragnar says:

It starts out very well, and gets progressively more boring as it goes along. The early ending is the right call to make.

If you chose the early ending, the credits roll. The same credits as after every failure.

If you chose to keep playing, you get into the long and slow chapter 5, with insufficient directions or instructions as to what to do, and chances of failure during either a QTE or a STE (Slow-Time-Event) which would cause you to fail said chapter.

Beyond that is chapter 6, which is even slower and longer, with even less direction and more possibility for endless meandering, which contains a QTE so fast that I entirely missed it, and I’ll be damned if I’m going to waste more time replaying it.

6. sidhellfire says:

There are really few games that can get me annoyed like that. Quite an achievement. So… tedious?

Also I did not find graphics good anyhow. I do not mean I did not like the style, but awful repeated dirt texture to make game look old, or poorly made actual game plan did not overshadow medicore illustrations. Music is fair but not making it’s job due cutting between scenes. There’s nothing much to comment about storyline either.

And, most importantly, purely gameplay-wise this game is subpar.

7. Shodex says:

Controller support would have been nice, the current control system is appalling.

8. Xander77 says:

At the start of chapter 3 there’s a QTE. A QTE I’ve failed three times in a row, despite hammering the the button as fast as I could. When I finally passed, I was confronted with an arbitrary choice that sent me back to the start of the chapter.

In conclusion, fuck this game.

• vivlo says:

bah..;that qte wasn’t that hard tbh… and that choice you’re speaking off, has only 2 possibilities so…

9. b0rsuk says:

Art wank.

10. yezo says:

Made me feel irritated.

11. redd says:

Toilet.

12. sycophants says:

Tedious, buggy toss.

13. Morte66 says:

Probably more than 10 minutes of uninstalling all the crap it tries to foist on you with the download, though.