Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows

By John Walker on June 6th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

I’m not particularly good at popular culture. What’s hip with the young cool-daddies on the streetwalks? I don’t seem to keep up. I’m too busy watching 1980s episodes of Spider-Man on Netflix. Turns out I’m closer than I thought, but unfortunately not old Teenage Mutant Ninja Heroes cartoons, however. Which means I’ve once again missed the zeitgeist. Activision haven’t, although their timing for the release of the latest attempt (the 37th, incredibly, but the first in four years) to make the anthropomorphised reptiles into a game could be better. With the first season having ended, and the second not starting until September, presumably they’re aiming to plug the Summer gap? Who knows – what I have noticed is that we’ve not posted anything about it, so why not enjoy some nostalgia-inducing trailers?

Non-UK/German readers may be intrigued to learn that us Brits/Deutsch watched the first run of the show, from 1987, under the title “Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles”. It was believed by some hovering authority that John Walker aged 10 wasn’t going to be able to cope with the word “ninja” in the name of the show, without breaking out his pizzas and smashing in the faces of all the other children in the playground. The content of the cartoon remained the same, but that dangerous word was excised for our own protection. This went right down to changing the lyrics of the theme tune, the logos, all the merchandising, and even editing the cartoons to remove any use of those dreaded nunchaku – hence Michelangelo’s loss of the weapon by season 3, I’ve just learned! (Incredibly, the British censors wouldn’t even allow nunchucks to appear in 18 certificate movies in the 80s, let alone a kids’ cartoon.) We’ve since abandoned such policies, and that explains the endemic use of ninja weapons in British schools, and the deaths of three out of every four under 12 year olds.

History lesson aside, here are the trailers for this genuinely fun-looking game (Leonardo is yet to come):

Donatello:

Michelangelo:

Raphael:

Personally I’m waiting on the April O’Neil trailer.

Activision don’t seem to proud of it all. I cannot find a website, and their own site’s only mention of it links to a page-not-found. Even their own press releases contain no URLs. Incredibly, the only web presence it as is a Facebook page. The game still has the ambiguous release date of “Summer” on the latest trailer, but the 26th June is bandied about, and will be available via Steam. Meanwhile, I’ve just noticed that the 1997 live action series is on Netflix. Chances of work being done today: minimal.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. McTerry says:

I wonder what it is I just saw.

2. pakoito says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!

3. Sparkasaurusmex says:

TMNT Arcade Game stole more of my money than today’s DLC scams.

4. Kobest says:

Can’t watch the videos from work, but man, what I would give for a proper remake of TMNT IV: Turtles in Time…

• apocraphyn says:

You and me both. The Xbox ‘remake’ was a travesty on almost every level.

• Jekhar says:

I never got around trying the remake, and never was THAT into the original. But i read numerous times the remake sucks. What’s wrong with it, exactly?

• Shooop says:

For one, they completely changed the music. Which was one of the best parts of the original game!

And they left out some of the original levels and added in a confusing “multi-directional attacking” thing that adds nothing to the game except confusion.

5. Runty McTall says:

When I was a kid (apparently at roughly the same time as John) this rumour went around that a kid in America had tried to flying kick his way through a plate glass window after watching TMNT and it had ended badly and that was why the word Hero had been substituted in (presumably because the expectation was that kids would subconsciously derive that only heroic beings could pull off the moves on screen and, having reliably low self esteem and therefore not considering themselves heroic, they would refrain from attempting to emulate them).

I recall that this did seem pretty weak as a explanation back then but as an adult I am conscious that, well, weirder things have happened in the name of protecting kids, so maybe it’s true.

6. Zogtee says:

I don’t mind a straight up brawler, but what is up with the turtle models..? Looks like they used some shite cosplay costumes for reference.

• RedViv says:

Yeah, they are stuck in some weird place between the film costumes and the new CGI show. The latter being grand, by the way.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

And what about Raphael? Eh?

8. GallonOfAlan says:

To me TMNT embodies everything wrong with comics in the 1980s. Just shite.

9. diamondmx says:

Is it just me or did they pick the most boring song ever to play in all three of those videos?

It was the same 6 notes, repeated a few times, then played at a slightly higher pitch a few times. It was almost like they took the dullest section of a fairly poor song.

10. Bluerps says:

Huh. I always thought we Germans where the only ones that got the Hero Turtles instead of the Ninja variety.

11. Splynter says:

While these trailers all made the game look totally radical, and April is a babe, I know which character I’m waiting to see.

12. karry says:

It looks interesting, but is it in constant slomo, or is it really that slow ?

13. Jason Moyer says:

Wonder what made the rating drop from 16 to 12 since Craig posted about this.

14. Lemming says:

“Personally I’m waiting on the April O’Neil trailer.”

Well, considering she’s a reporter not a ninja, I doubt it’d be very exciting.

• subedii says:

Actually, she got training from Splinter, and is effectively a Ninja now.

Or at least was, as of the 2007 movie (might have been sooner than that). Which incidentally, I still feel is the best Turtles movie.

• Niko says:

She’s becoming quite a badass kunoichi in new series as well.

• shani says:

Acutally, that 2007 movie was the final of the 2003 series! IMHO this one is the best TV-show in the Turtles-Franchise, because it sticks more to the original comics and is a bit more dark/mature/serious/whatever (though still beeing a kids’ show and not beeing as dark as the old comics).
        Besides, the story is far more complex and interesting (although I didn’t really like the sixth season that much) than in the 1987 show .
        If you haven’t seen the 2003 series yet, I strongly recommend you to do so! :)

EDIT: Oh, just realized, you meant the 2007 CGI-movie, not the 2009 cartoon movie I was rambling about. ^^

15. karry says:

Also, for once i’d love to see a game where turtles use their weapons in their actual capacity, as in, not just as improvised clubs. Not going to happen, ever, but one can dream…

• subedii says:

Pretty unlikely unless the enemies are all robots.

Similar to how Batman in Arkham Asylum pummels mooks with moves that would probably kill or at least cripple a heck of a lot of people, but canonically he’s just “knocking them unconscious”.

16. vinny_v86 says:

Teenage Mutant Dubstep Turtles :(

17. Chizu says:

I heard about this a little while ago, After I started watching and surprisingly actually enjoying the current TMNT cartoon/cgi thingy. And felt a need to look things up.
    It looks pretty decent, and they way their downplaying it I hop emeans a failry low digital price tag.
    I’d pay £10-15 for a straight up brawler if its fun.

18. Bobsy says:

Can’t wait for the DLC where you play as a giant intergalactic cow head.

19. Dowr says:

2003 Show > 1987 Show

Ha! Take that nostalgia!

20. shani says:

I can’t believe the gave them noses! I looks really weird and annoying. I’m against any design that humanizes the Turtles, I mean, they’re already humanoids, but I also hated the eyeballs they introduced in season 7 of the 2003 series.

I downloaded it from Steam and played for some while, so far so good.
    BUT when they even use the settting of the 2012 CGI-series, why didn’t they use the same CGI-models and speakers as in the recent show? :(

Comment on this story