Croteam Funding Serious Sam 4… Via Humble Bundle

By Nathan Grayson on June 7th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Serious Sam Fisher

After three main series entries and countless spin-offs, it’s a wonder that Serious Sam hasn’t shot all the things yet. I feel kind of bad for him, honestly. He works so hard, but there’s always something else to blast into entrail soup with a cannon ball gun. Ah, the action hero’s burden. ‘Tis truly a heartbreaking thing. So, right then, Serious Sam 4. It’s real! I can confirm that it has at least two guns in it! Also, Sam now looks like the granite-chiseled child of Tom Cruise and Conviction-era Sam Fisher before he got all mean and torture-y. Oh, and most importantly, he needs your help. The latest Humble Weekly Sale is helping fund this radical (but probably not actually very radical at all) reinvention, so you are cordially invited to spend money.

It’s quite a bundle too, containing nearly every Serious Sam game in existence. Beating the average (hovering in the $5 range as of writing) nets you Serious Sam 2 and Serious Sam 3: BFE, completing the set.

And of course, here’s the key bit:

“All funds to the developers in this weekly sale will go towards making the upcoming Serious Sam 4 the craziest and greatest Serious Sam game EVER.”

Per the lone piece of Serious Sam 4 concept art, the current plan is to release sometime in 2014. I bet that means it’ll be all “next-gen” and stuff, which is good because I’m pretty sure Sam’s new dukes could even emasculate the almighty Call of Duty arms.

So, what’s everybody want out of a new Serious Sam? I bet it’s a resonant, powerful human story, right? That has to be it.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. MuscleHorse says:

I look forward to a Sam game that isn’t set in sodding Egypt.

2. bstard says:

Sam 1/2 was nice, somewhat original over the top shoot it all before you got swarmed. I could not find any justification for 3, which just felt like the same but now getting old. Hope this 4 will surprise me once more, although I have the feeling this series should be done with.

• ScubaMonster says:

The problem you bring up though is a double edged sword. I think Serious Sam 3 probably wasn’t the better of the series (though it was still a blast, especially if you found a multiplayer game going). If they don’t change it, people complain. If they do change it, then people will complain it’s not Serious Sam anymore. They have to walk a fine line with whatever changes they make, and most likely won’t be enough for people like you. Obviously if they are making a fourth one, the third sold well enough to justify it or else they wouldn’t even bother.

• pkt-zer0 says:

I thought the sprinting, melee, and smoke effects were pretty solid additions. Some of the new weapons were cool as well. I do miss the flamethrower and the sniper, as well as the level design from Second Encounter. SS4 could be the one to fix those issues, since they already have the engine and other fundamentals down, much like with the First Encounter to Second Encounter transition.

• MarcP says:

Boo. There is an entire industry dedicated to give you “innovative”, “creative” or “thought-provoking” stuff to play. Why would you want the last FPS series that is still about having fun shooting monsters with cool guns to die out or be assimilated is beyond me, you can literally play anything else, anything at all, if you want a different experience. Given how niche Serious Sam is these days, it’s not like it’s threatening whatever genre of games you prefer.

• kwemduyaw11 says:

I hope they go back to the more cartoonish, cheerfully coloured art style of the original games. SS3 really didn’t benefit from its semi realistic lighting alongside its somewhat less silly tone (relatively speaking at least) and not particularly welcome gameplay tweaks.

3. The JG Man says:

Take the creativity of level design from Second Encounter, the gun play from SS’1′ and the good looks from 3. Then we have awesome.

I’m more disappointed though that with this quiet announcement, we didn’t have a Croteam special press release. What happened to “Bam! Tit job!”???

• derbefrier says:

This SS2 had some of the most fun level design in an FPS ever.

and as a huge Serious Sam fan I am excited to see 4 is in the works.

• Kobest says:

Agreed!

Also, I don’t think the money is outright going to SS4. It is one of the goals, yes, but if there was an announcement that “we need money for SS4, this is how we get it,” then believe me, the guys at DevolverDigital would put out a lot of pointing signs.

• Megakoresh says:

Couldn’t say it better myself.

4. SkittleDiddler says:

We need another Serious Sam about as much as we need another Modern Warfare.

• FunkyDarkKnight says:

Can you elaborate?

• Keyrock says:

Going strictly by demand, and by demand I mean sales, then I guess we need it really badly because Modern Warfare games sell like hot cakes. Mmmm, hot cakes.

/drools

• Totally heterosexual says:

” we need another Modern Warfare.”

-SkittleDiddler 07/06/2013

5. Deano2099 says:

Wait… they’re funding a new game via sales of the previous games in the series?!

What is this madness?

Snidesworth says:

I never thought I’d have to say this, but right now I deeply regret owning all the Serious Sam games.

7. jimangi says:

Plot for the new game: A middle-aged Sam takes a bite of an uncooked Gnarr and gets Serious Salmonella. Also he gets captured by Mental.
    His wife and young son, Serious Samantha and Serious Sampson, must travel into ancient/neo Georgian England to fight hordes of werebulls wearing powdered wigs.
    They’ll also meet the Serious Samnites and the Serious Sumerians.
    Also Netricsa is pregnant.

• wererogue says:

I would buy that. No joking; that is almost certainly better than anything else they could possibly be writing.

• The Random One says:

Why settle for ancient/neo Georgian England when you can have ancient neo Georgian England?

8. Bhazor says:

“Steam only”

Really? That’s happening a lot in the Humble sales.

• Kaira- says:

Yea, ’tis a shame. Though every now and then the weekly sale actually isn’t just a bunch of Steam-only games.

• The Random One says:

The weekly sale is meant to be a different thing from the Humble Bundles, but of course that’s just marketing and the DRM encroachment is indeed a sad thing.

DrScuttles says:

Unless I’m missing something painfully obvious, the old, non HD Serious Sam 1 first/second encounters don’t appear to be in the bundle? Sure you could easily argue that they don’t need to be there given that the HD rereleases are, but the OCD completist in me wants all the Sams sitting pretty and muscular in my library of unused game licenses graciously loaned to my by uncy Gabe.

• Uncle Fassbender says:

You are missing something; the SS3 that comes in this bundle is the Digital Deluxe Edition, which comes with non-steam versions of the original Serious Sam 1st + 2nd Encounter.

DrScuttles says:

Yes, I just slowly slid my key into Steam to be treated to that pleasant surprise.
        But more than that, it’s written in bold text under the description of Serious Sam 3 on the Humble Weekly sale page that you get the classic versions. Yay for buying things without reading.

10. nebnebben says:

I haven’t ever actually played Serious Sam so this is a must buy for me

Gap Gen says:

At least the metro will be less crowded in this version of Paris.

• brulleks says:

Serious Sam in Paris is an interesting proposition indeed. A different city / country for each level would be even better – Sam roaming the world to clear out the alien threat.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Pamplona, for the running of the bulls, obviously.

12. catmorbid says:

There’s always been some great entertainment value in the series, with the hilarious arcadey blood’n’guts filled shootemup style… But there’s also been a lot of repetition and tedium in the series. Their new graphics engine is really awesome btw and deserves some more showtime. I just wish they’d change the formula a bit already, maybe try some open-world procedural content type of stuff with quite a bit more crazy in the soup. Was happy to pay the $$ for the games though.

13. GreatGreyBeast says:

I guess it’s a thing now that Sam looks completely different for every game. The beard actually makes him look more intellectual, but I could learn to like it. He’s in Paris after all – he’s broadening.

• The Random One says:

Maybe Serious Sam is just a codename, like James Bond?

• GreatGreyBeast says:

Except it’s been repeatedly established that James Bond isn’t a pseudonym. He’s a Time Lord.

• The Random One says:

So… are you saying that Serious Sam is an unusually violent time lord? Because that makes a lot of sense.

(Or an usually violent time lord, unlike the unusually chill Doctor Who… they did war themselves to death, didn’t them?)

14. kalirion says:

Article is wrong – bundle doesn’t have every Serious Sam game in existence. A certain Greek encounter is missing (probably for a good reason.)

15. Kobest says:

Good news, but keep in mind that the picture above is NOT a concept art for Serious Sam 4. This picture (maybe a fan pic, even) has been around for quite a while!

• carbonated_cottage_cheese says:

I’m pretty sure it is. The “Serious Sam 4″ link in the Humble Bundle page links to it.

16. wu wei says:

I really hope they include the gunstacker from Double D.

17. Spacewalk says:

I just hope that the final stage won’t be a slog. That really ruined all of SS3 for me, that bloody final stage.

18. Shooop says:

It feels like they toned down the sheer goofy insanity in the third game (except for a few really good monologues). I hope this time around they crank it all the way back up.

And get that reloading crap out of here! I don’t have time to reload, there’s a herd of keers over there! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

19. Shadowcat says:

Dear Croteam: If it’s fund-raising you’re doing, may I point out that many potential customers (especially at the Humble Bundle site) will ignore your bundle completely due to its DRM-encumbered nature.

DRM-free next time?

Jackablade says:

Moderninsing is well and good, they just need to make sure they’re not throwing the proverbial baby out with the proverbial bathwater. I think I enjoy Serious Sam 2 more than 3, and that game suffered from some much bigger problems.