What Does Might & Magic X’s “Open Dev” Mean?

By Jim Rossignol on June 7th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Limbic Entertainment, who are building the handsome new Might & Magic game for Ubisoft, have just announced the start of “Open Dev” for the game. But what does this cryptic phrase mean? Which part of the current community-infused, early-access, crowdy gaming zeitgeist are they actually riffing off here? Well, it’s… different. They are allowing us to vote on various aspects of how they develop the game overall. For example, right now you can vote on how a dungeon gets made. The explain: “This week we’ll start with the general concept. The vote will be open until next Tuesday. After you have decided for one general concept, we will go into detail. So stay tuned for the dungeon fine tuning!”

Weird. Is it a gimmick? Time will tell, I suppose. They’ve detailed all this a bit more in a video, which you can see below.

When I saw “Might & Magic X” written in something the other day, I was assuming they were just referring to an unknown Might & Magic game, where the number could have been anything. How foolish I am.

, , .

1. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

They should just go balls-out and sync the project on Github.

2. kwyjibo says:

My contribution to this (we can’t do Kickstarter because we’re bankrolled by Ubisoft) open-dev project – “FUCKING DROP UPLAY”.

3. Premium User Badge Anthile says:

Delivering anything that comes close to the classic M&M dungeons will be very difficult. World of Xeen had a dungeon floor that was basically a massive crossword puzzle.

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

I think the Dungeon of Death broke some part of my brain back then.

4. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I wasn’t expecting them to. Although I do think that letting the public vote on individual design decisions is an awful idea. I’m sceptical that experts in game design asking the general public how to make a game is going to end well.

EDIT: That was supposed to be a reply to Neoheresy but eh whatever.

• Premium User Badge Arathain says:

I’m glad someone else thinks this. I’m all for listening to your community, but at some point I want to able to assume you have a vision for the game, and the good judgement to make choices that will enhance that vision and our experience.

It also largely precludes anything really new, because players tend to want more of the last thing they enjoyed. It can prevent you from moving into more uncharted territories where something novel-but-great can be found.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I imagine it also constrains your ability to iterate and filter out ideas that don’t work. If the public votes for a certain feature and then in playtesting it turns out to suck, what do you do? Leave it in and make a worse game, or take it out and offend people who now feel entitled to their permanent mark on the design process?

• namad says:

really this is a non-issue, non-event if you look at the questions they’re pointless. they’re multiple choice questions between a few extremely similar options. the options that don’t get picked can be thrown back into the asset bank and just used in another part of the game.

the whole point is to create buzz/hype/expectation yes a small part of the game will be “designed” by fans, but not in any real sense of the word “design”.

5. The Random One says:

A friend of mine had the same thought about Final Fantasy X. He saw the name and thought it was a spinoff, like Chronicles (and pronounced Ecks, naturally).

6. Demiath says:

I was the only person in the known universe who sort of liked MMIX (properly fan-patched, of course), so it logically follows that MMX can’t be a disappointment for me…

7. Premium User Badge Okami says:

The day I let the public vote on how to build my levels will be the day I quit
    games development and apply for a position as an accountant.