Bittersweet: Arcane Kids’ Room Of 1000 Snakes

By Nathan Grayson on June 8th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Don't push the button don't push the button don't push the button don't push the

One of my favorite things (like, in general; definitely more so than pizza or you) is shouting “DON’T GO IN THERE” at really inopportune moments during movies and TV shows. Related: I don’t have many friends. Room of 1000 Snakes, on the other hand, probably warrants that kind of obnoxiously eardrum-walloping bellow, so here’s my advice on the subject: do it anyway. The rather brief, um, interactive experience – which comes from Zineth and Perfect Stride developer Arcane Kids – is a dissertation on the overwhelming might of human curiosity. You really, really shouldn’t go in that room, but come on: we both know you’re gonna do it anyway.

GO NO FURTHER, LEST YE INCUR THE WRATH OF SPOILERS.

Boy, I’ve been using a lot of all-caps statements today. I should probably rein that in.

OH BUT WAIT DON’T PUSH THE BIG RED BUTTON.

And you probably did that anyway too. Now look what’s happened. What was once a perfectly functional ancient Egyptian crypt is now a slithering sea of scaly vengeance, coils undulating and cresting like waves. I mean, Bittersweet Symphony is the absolute worst. Also, there are snakes. Oh hey, what’s that on your face? Is it some left over buttercream from a delightful cupcake picnic? No. Of course not. It’s, like, 50 snakes at once.

I’m sorry. I’m being mean. Mainly, I’m just regurgitating the thoughts that went through my head the first time I played. That’s kind of the wonderful part, though. The mysterious appeal of a big red button is so great that even if you know exactly what you’re in for, you still press it. Sort of brilliant, right? Or I guess human nature is just really, really stupid. That’s the more likely one, to be honest.

Oh well, Room of 1000 Snakes is pretty hilarious, and there’s also a gift shop! Who doesn’t love those?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Shadowcat says:

Snakes in a Room!

2. Theon says:

I’m very glad I didn’t read further than “comes from Zineth and Perfect Stride developer Arcane Kids” before clickin’ the link. It was a pretty amazing experience, so thanks for the heads-up, but did you really feel the need to spoil a one-trick pony like this?

“What did you think was going to happen if you pressed the giant red button in a game called Room of 1000 Snakes? Something even the slightest bit different?”
    Yeah, well, no. But I think the entire game is a joke on how retardedly curious we humans can be, and that joke is kind of spoiled if there’s nothing to be curious about.

3. Knightley4 says:

So, Big Red Button was invented by ancient egyptians?

4. Wedge says:

I liked the sand texture with the url of where it was from on it.

5. Baf says:

Honestly, yes, I dd expect something different. I expected some means of defeating the snakes, or at least of surviving the snakes, to present itself. That’s a not uncommon pattern for games, right?

• DerNebel says:

It’s a common pattern in media, sure. That’s why it needs to be subverted sometimes. That’s how we know it’s a pattern.

And I’d say a thousand snakes in a closed egyptian crypt usually spells certain doom. That’s a not uncommon pattern for snakes, isn’t it? You don’t always win. Just be thankful they didn’t make you play for ten hours before crushing you.

Imagine that, though. A ful-fledged adventure game, where we curiously dig and dig into an ancient conspiracy, only to be doomed by our very own curiosity.

DrScuttles says:

Snakes. Why’d it have to be snakes?
    Also, I believe Unity to be at the heart of a conspiracy to force the weird and completely wrong non-inverted mouselook on everyone. Well I acquiesce today, knowing this to be a slippery slope that leads into a darker dark place than even Garth Marenghi could imagine.
    If you don’t invert your mouselook, you probably smell like bum. I mean, other opinions are available, but still.

7. jonahcutter says:

***Gameplay Spoilers***

I actually played it twice. Second time I got up on one of the statue heads, but they get you up there too. I was hoping you’d get to see the room fill up more, but it doesn’t last any longer. Your doom is apparently scripted.

Can’t say I’m too bothered about it though. I like snakes. A pulpy, cinematic death of being swarmed by snakes sits alright with me. It just needs my girlfriend crying out my name one last time, arm thrust out beseechingly as a group of friends hold her back.

Now if it was spiders I’d probably still be shuddering in disgust.

8. Caiman says:

What if they were 1,000 friendly snakes? Room of 1,000 Corn Snakes doesn’t really strike fear into the heart, does it? Much scarier would be Room of 1,000 Walmart* Shoppers. Especially if the room was a small one.

9. sventoby says:

How did I get in the room in the first place?