State Of Decay Still Coming To PC, But Not ‘Soon’

By Nathan Grayson on June 8th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

The Undead Labs devs handling the PC port were last seen here. They are, of course, presumed incredibly alive.

State of Decay is finally out on console coffins, and what do you know? It’s apparently pretty good! Naturally, I too want to sink my noxious nub teeth into the permadeath zombie open-world-er, but my PC isn’t an Xbox – no matter how badly Microsoft wants it to be. We were, however, promised our very own decaying slice of slate quite some time ago. It’s always been a matter of when, not if. Unfortunately, that “when” has turned into something of a moving target, and Undead Labs’ patented crossbow of ultimate release-datingness is having a very hard time pinning it down.

To her credit, Undead community director Sanya Weathers was refreshingly honest about the situation:

“We are still working on the PC version, and I don’t have a really good estimate for completion. Too much depends on third parties. It isn’t going to be soon by any meaningful use of the word ‘soon’.”

Which is a shame of nearly apocalyptic proportions, because State of Decay is far more than a simple Grand Theft Auto clone wearing rancid, puke-stained pants. More than anything, it focuses on managing your group of survivors, keeping their emotions in check, and rescuing new folks to aid your increasingly grim cause. Choices abound, and everything from good standing with your ragtag community to, you know, lives hangs in the balance. That stuff’s not scripted, either.

I’m dead tired of zombies, but State of Decay sounds like yet another instance of a game standing on frail undead shoulders to elevate itself to a much more interesting place. Color me interested. Also, impatient.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. John Connor says:

Between this and that joke of a Deus Ex game on the iPad I sort of want to build a death camp and put everyone with an iPad and an Xbox in them so that the only gaming market left is mine and they will have to make games for me.

Anyone wants to volunteer as camp guards or donate some barbed wire or sarin gas let me know.

• Professor Snake says:

I would suggest holding off on that until judgement day. The overall panic is going to make everything easier.

• Curundir says:

Great plan, I cannot wait until you’re done. Afterwards I will make a camp for everyone with the avatar “John Connor”, and the market will be MINE, and they will have to make games for ME! Hahahahahaha!
      [/evil plan]

• Lanfranc says:

Is that supposed to be funny? Because… it isn’t really.

• sabasNL says:

PC-Commander Schmidt reporting for duty.

• Arkh says:

Reporting for duty, sir.

• xfullboost says:

Hail Conner! Long live the PC master race!

• vshiva says:

Colonel Vshiva reporting in .
      I have a request before i enter, I want to be in charge of the gas chambers and i want a sharp pointy stick

2. Njordsk says:

Can’t wait for the 156th zombie game to actually come out.

What will be the next big thing everybody rehash to death?? Vampire? Apache? Flying squirels? An invasion of deadly girafe-walrus?

• abandonhope says:

You like rehashing your anti-zombie sentiment, though, don’t you?

• Curundir says:

Maybe Nazis?

• Victuz says:

I’m calling Starship Trooper type alien bugs.

We’re getting to the point where rendering a necessary amount of them without melting your computer (while having them actually do stuff) is very much possible and interesting.

And yeah I know there have been games of that style, but let’s be honest they were pretty sub par when it came to the bugs being… well, smart :/

• David Bliff says:

Frankly I find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive!

• xx says:

-implants his ferret with the idea that your family jewels are candy coated treats-

• Professor Snake says:

Dogs.

• HPLoveshack says:

This is funny to me. Everyone bitches about the glut of zombie games while a few years back everyone was all “Oh hey zombies, yes please!” after L4D and Minecraft and DayZ, not to mention the numerous HL2 zombie mods. But it seemed like everyone wanted a slower -paced, more survivalist type game, with a longer and wider scope, which still hasn’t been delivered fully-formed mind you.

So of course several developers start cranking out survival zombie games and guess what, it takes a few years to finish the damn things. Now people complain when a zombie game is covered even though almost none have really been released. There’s several half-finished alphas and tons of trailers and previews, but very few releases.

The masses truly are fickle.

The same thing happened with the post-apoc setting and it’s practically certain the next one to bitch about will be cyberpunk and then it’s going to be space-flight sim games with all of the ones that were kickstarted recently.

I’m not even mad though, people just like to bitch about stuff, even if it makes no god damn sense. Who am I to try to ruin their fun of trying to ruin other people’s fun?

• The Random One says:

Stop being so right! You’re making the rest of us look bad!

Anthile says:

It also appears to sell like cupcakes. So yes, it seems zombie games are exactly what people want.

4. Noviere says:

I guess not-so-soon is better than when they first announced it as console-exclusive.

5. CommanderJ says:

Do cupcakes really sell well enough to be a metric of ‘things wot sell well’? Outside of FattoFattomerica I mean.

On topic – this does look like it could be pretty interesting. Let’s hope the extended porting time is because they’re trying to make a proper PC game out of it – and not, you know, because certain third parties suck at porting.

• tobecooper says:

It’s not a situation where third parties suck at porting. Probably, the problem lies in a certain micro party not liking to share. They just aren’t soft enough when it comes to letting others have the cake.

• CommanderJ says:

Ah, yes of course. This is an X exclusive isn’t it, which means Microsoft will try to hold on to it for as long as possible before letting anyone on their -other- system play it.

World makes no sense sometimes.

6. Freud says:

Again with the zombies.

• Noviere says:

I remember when they first announced their company and said something like “The world doesn’t need more dragons!”

7. Innovacious says:

The xbox version shouldn’t have been released yet anyway. Sure, people are having fun, but its very rough around the edges

8. DatonKallandor says:

“Too much depends on third parties.” is we-are-scared-of-microsofts-laywers-speak for Microsoft is paying us enough money to turn us into idiots who can’t do basic math. Basic math, which time and time again has proven that if you release your game on PC instead of Xbox you make more money. More money than Microsoft is paying you to not release on PC.

• UndeadSanya says:

Actually, it’s me-speak for we’re waiting on tools from the (currently not discussing) distribution partner. In order to sell the game, most distributors require you jump through certain hoops. It’s so you can play a game without worrying about who the publisher was.

Hell, that’s why we didn’t know our own release date for certain until the last minute. We had to jump through the XBLA process to make sure the game didn’t set anyone’s console on fire. Having been published by Microsoft didn’t mean we could cheat, we still had to go through XBLA distribution channels like everyone else.

• Komus says:

I’m surprised no one has replied to your comments here Sonya. I for one congratulate you and your company for having the initiative to interact directly with the RPS readers. Obviously most people are busy thinking of puns or posting selfies, but being honest and engaged like this does leave an impression with consumers.

• UndeadSanya says:

And it’s to be hoped the impression is left mainly with the player I care about having ;)

9. Bobka says:

Damn, that’s disappointing. I was hoping it would be released within a few months.

I wish Microsoft could appreciate that PC gamers are also their customers.

• UndeadSanya says:

Originally this was a console exclusive :) We found out we could port it, so we decided to do it. Just, we couldn’t start until we were finished with the Xbox version. We’re working on the PC version (identical in content) now.

colossalstrikepackage says:

Thanks for taking time to clarify doubts, Sanya. One burning question: is development currently aiming for a Windows 8 release, or something the rest of us can play (Win 7 and before)? Thanks in advance.

• UndeadSanya says:

I am not sure. Asking Jeff. I expect a lot of people would like to know, so I’ll put the info on a site or a FAQ when I have it.

10. Seafort says:

I’m hoping this isn’t Windows 8 exclusive. That would explain the delay and the reason the devs can’t talk about it.

MS seems to like to control everything :) to their detriment :P I don’t see this doing well on PC if the wait time is longer than 3 months. They have a bit of hype now but that’ll fade in short time.

• Bobka says:

Oh gods, I hadn’t even considered that it might be a Win8 exclusive. That’s awful. I hope it isn’t so.

• Discopanda says:

And that’s the day that the music will die. :(

• MartinNr5 says:

Windows 8 is more or less the exact same codebase as Windows 7 at the core.

If you’re talking about Windows 8 RT then that’s another thing but no RT tablet will be powerful enough to run this.

[Edited for clarity.]

• Continuum says:

Yeah, I know a few things are Win8 exclusives, but I’m not even sure what that means. The Win8 kernel just really isn’t that different from Win7. I’ve been running Win8 for a few months now and have had absolutely zero compatibility issues. It also runs noticeably faster than Win7. Once you kick the MS store crap off the new Start screen (which only takes a few minutes), it is basically just faster better Win7.

Still, in Microsoft-logic, I wouldn’t put it past them to make a game that seems like a slam-dunk fit for the PC market into a “Windows 8 exclusive” which accomplishes nothing but tanking it’s sales.

kdz says:

I, too, would be tired of zombies, if not for the fact that I’ve not actually played that many zombie games from the now 4-year-old craze. A little bit of Dead Rising 2, quite a lot of Left 4 Dead and some Left 4 Dead 2, The Walking Dead (which didn’t really focus on the zeds) and I believe that’s it. I’m ready for State of Decay!

12. Belsameth says:

Sanya is the CM to which all CMs should be measured. She really is great.

13. Kinth says:

I’m going to read this as:

“We were really fucking stupid and decided to give MS a one year exclusivity contract, because they told us we couldn’t launch on XBL without it and we haven’t learnt from the many other devs who did it before us, but we don’t want to tell you that!”

• UndeadSanya says:

Er… no. We just had to finish working on the Xbox version before we really got rolling on the port, that’s all.

14. wodin says:

I hear is it Last of Us? is pretty good but a PS3 exclusive.

15. hemmingjay says:

It’s good that it’s delayed. It’s fun but there isn’t a lot of content and it’s very buggy. I do not have high hopes for them fixing the xbox version and I’m not sure such a poor reputation will serve them well with PC sales. Then again WarZ sold a bunch despite being the game equivalent to syphilis.

• MartinNr5 says:

Yeah, perhaps this is the real reason for the delay instead of all the inane Microsoft/Windows 8 conspiracy theories?

The game is getting better and more polished now that they know that it’s popular and they don’t want to piss the PC crowd off with another crappy port.

Nah, that’s just too logical.

• tobecooper says:

What’s logical for us, gamers, isn’t necessarily so logical for the publishers. This is no conspiracy, it’s business plan.

Microsoft does exclusivity periods on XBLA. That’s the reality. It’s very highly probable that SoD devs can’t publish at the same time on PC, and they can’t tell it’s MS’s fault because of their awesome Non-Disclosure Agreements.

Now, the Win8 theory depends on the deal they have made. How much money did MS put into the game? We have no way of knowing that, but that doesn’t mean it’s an improbable theory.

colossalstrikepackage says:

I don’t think the contract would stipulate the CM lying to the public. Until proven otherwise, I’ll be taking Sanya’s word at face value. She’s been refreshingly honest so far, despite not bearing good news. Ah well, I’ll just mope over youtube videos and dream zombies until I get my hands on this.

• tobecooper says:

What lies? ‘Too much depends on third parties’, to me, means too much depends on Microsoft.

colossalstrikepackage says:

I read this as they are porting the game once finishing the Xbox version. Far from ideal from our perspective, but doesn’t seem implausible for a small studio to not have the resources to develop for Xbox and PC in tandem. The quote being:

“We found out we could port it, so we decided to do it. Just, we couldn’t start until we were finished with the Xbox version. We’re working on the PC version (identical in content) now.”

Sanya (CM) also point blank rejected the exclusivity contract theory above. So either she’s lying or we’re guessing about the contracts. I’m happy to be proven wrong, but I’ll take this indie studio at face value.

• tobecooper says:

Ah, I didn’t know she shot down the exclusivity theory. That certainly gives me a lot more hope. The cynic goes out, the positive person is in. I’m waiting for the game!

colossalstrikepackage says:

That’s the spirit!

• Continuum says:

It’s getting some really solid reviews for XBLA. Most of them note the buggy, but still love it. So that doesn’t sound like a horrible reputation to overcome.

Also, once it hits PC, the mod community can fix it. It’s sad that this is always the solution for buggy games, but fact is that modders have made a lot of great games playable.

colossalstrikepackage says:

I’d rather have a perfect game released later than the other way around, but at least PC gaming has a modding community to fall back on. Here’s to hoping that porting isn’t the only things that the studio does.

• Lazy Gamer says:

To quote Gabe Newell, “A game can only be delayed for so long, but it can be bad forever”

16. kileysmith78 says:

If you think Helen`s story is shocking…, 2 weeks ago mom in law also earned $5618 grafting sixteen hours a week from there apartment and the’re classmate’s step-sister`s neighbour done this for seven months and got paid over $5618 in there spare time on line. apply the advice from this website, Bow6.com

17. BruceVC says:

Any game that doesn’t have a PC version is DEAD to me, DEAD !!!

I know, I know I’m a PC extremist :)

18. V I D A L says:

Funny thing is, all the screens shown since before the XBOX version release are, in fact, from a PC version. I downloaded the trial on my Xbox and the game looks nothing like those pics. The resolution is reeeeally low (I guess it is even lower than 1280×720), the shadows are in low quality settings (with noise and dots all around, similar to GTA IV on consoles) and there is no motion blur whatsoever (something that you can see in many pics of this game, including the one shown here on the soldier zombie).

How you explain that, Sanya?

I loved the game… seems to be really fun and I played through the trial twice, but I am definitely waiting for the PC version… I want my 1920×1080, motion blur and smooth shadows. =)