The RPS Bargain Bucket: Looking Humongous

By Lewie Procter on June 8th, 2013 at 2:12 pm.

Greetings consumers! Would you like to acquire some non-transferable, limited rights, licenses for digital entertainment software for your personal computer? Then you have come to the right place. As I do every weekend, I have compared the different discounts being offered by a wide range of entities offering digital distribution for the entertainment software industry. Since they’re all operating on an open platform, they’re all competing for your custom. They’re competing to offer the best value, range of games, features, customer service, user experience, and such and such. Here is my critical assessment of who has done the best job of that this weekend, and you’ll find a record of best deals in markets for all video game platforms throughout the week over at SavyGamer.co.uk. This is The RPS Bargain Bucket:

Race the Sun – £3.32/€3.86/$5
Apply coupon “WELOVEINDIEGAMES”.
That price is if you go for “Early Purchase Pack 1″, but the coupon is good for 50% off either of the other purchase options. I’ve been playing the beta of this, and I really like it. It’s pretty obviously still a work in progress, and I think they are developing a mobile/tablet version in tandem with the PC version, so there’s a few UI elements that look more touchscreeny than mouse and keyboardy, but that will no doubt all be cleaned up before the v1.0 release. So what is it? It’s a beautiful minimalist game about flying forwards, dodging the things you are supposed to dodge, and collecting the things you are supposed to collect. It’s got more than a little bit of Starwing (aka Starfox) to it, and things get absolutely crazy when you get pretty far into it. You’ve probably played a bunch of games that are similar to this before, but this one is executed really well. Is it a conflict that I backed the kickstart? I don’t think so, but perhaps I best mention it anyway.

Brütal Legend, Costume Quest, Iron Brigade, Psychonauts, Stacking & The Cave – £6.56/€7.71/$9.99
Registers on Steam. As you will likely remember if you have been paying any attention to the Bargain Bucket over the last year or so, deals from Amazon US are ostensibly for North America only, but Amazon seem to be leaving a gaping loophole where if you enter any US billing address, they don’t actually check it, they just let you buy it. Some card providers may charge a fee for international payments. This is certainly a fine amount of Double Fine for the money. These games all have something interesting about them, and the are bursting with character and creativity. Well, I’ve not played The Cave yet, but I can vouch for the rest being very much worth your time. Here’s a big mountain of word-thinks from the RPS archives: Brütal Legend, Costume Quest, Iron Brigade, Stacking & The Cave. These are also individually discounted, except for Iron Brigade and The Cave.

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam: The Random Encounter, Serious Sam Double D & Serious Sam: Kamikaze Attack – Pay What You Want
Registers on Steam.
You can also get yourself a copy of Serious Sam 2 & Serious Sam: BFE if you beat the average price, £2.82/€3.32/$4.30 at time of writing.
Some bloke called Kieron wrote these words. Don’t blame me:

Serious Sam is a major text and we all should consider with the deepness with which it was wrought. The clue is in the name. “Serious Sam”. It is very serious. I cannot say for sure why he’s called is called Sam, but I’m planning to explore the most tenable theories my forthcoming doctoral thesis. Ah – this reminds me of something incredibly insightful which Derrida once wrote – but I won’t repeat it, as it’s very deep, and you wouldn’t understand it. Much like you don’t understand Serious Sam. I pity you, in many ways.

More here.

Reus – £4.76/€6.80/$6.80
Apply coupon “GMG20-JLKSA-7A8HA”. Registers on Steam.
A God Game where everything is powered by natural elements, rather than hubris and empty promises. What a novel idea. Here’s Alec’s early impressions:

In theory, you’re gradually escalating the amount of food, wealth and tech you’re bringing into your village; in practice you’re playing a sort of planet-wide inventory Tetris, shuffling tomatoes to here or chickens to there in order to try and sustain and maximise the bonuses. To be honest, I found that the effects of this stuff were predominantly numerical rather than seeming to meaningfully or even particularly visibility affect the world. These amazing-looking, humongous deities, but what they’re mostly doing is implementing stat multipliers. It does seem something of a waste. Perhaps it’ll seem more meaningful and exciting once I have a fuller-grasp of the ultimate pay-offs of each resource, though. And once I start throwing rock-bombs at chickens for no good reason.

More here.

Deal of the week
Bioshock Infinite – £13.59
Apply coupon “GFDJUN20UK”. Registers on Steam.
This one is pretty divisive, huh? Whilst I did find this a disappointing sequel to Bioshock, and I still prefer the original game, I do think it is worth giving it a try and making your own mind up, especially at this price. I explained some of my problems with it here the other week, but lets hear from Alec, who enjoyed it a bit more than I did:

Infinite’s a triumph in terms of fantasy-architecture spectacle and bringing superb flexibility to the modern rollercoaster shooter, but in other respects it’s a small step down from the player agency and even the singular aesthetic of BioShock. Not that it necessarily needs to, as it is most certainly a high-aiming game in its own right rather than mere offspring, but I’m not convinced it will live quite as long in our collective memory as did/does its parent. It sure does make me want to use superlatives like ‘majestic’, ‘lavish’ and ‘spectacular’ over and over again, though.

More here.

Also of note:
Probably the best Humble Bunlde yet has three days left
Super Tower Rush, Hacker Evolution Untold, Pixelry, Blackwell Legacy, Blackwell Unbound, Blackwell Convergence, Blackwell Deception & Lune (Alpha) – Pay What You Want
AI War: Fleet Command & all DLC, A Valley Without Wind, A Valley Without Wind 2, Shattered Haven & Tidalis – £3.48/€4.09/$5.30 at time of writing
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty – £16.99/€19.99
Sleeping Dogs [Limited Edition] – £4.60. Apply coupon “GFDJUN20UK”. Registers on Steam.
Bullet Candy, Bullet Candy Perfect & Irukandji – Pay What You Want. Pay £3.28/€3.86/$5 to also also get Scoregasm by typing “IAMMEGA” into the message box.
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes – £4/€6/$5.60. Apply coupon “GMG20-JLKSA-7A8HA”. Registers on Steam.
Papo & Yo – £4.80/€5.78/$7.49. Registers on Steam.
Derrick the Deathfin – £2.59/€3.08/$3.99

Cheap games always A L W A Y S at SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. KDR_11k says:

Go get AI War and Tidalis. NOW! The bundle includes the soundtrack!

• nebnebben says:

Is AI wars any good?
      I’ve deliberated for a while over getting it

• Arona Daal says:

Its a kind of Tower defense/RTS Mix.
        The Main Point imho was that you only can upgrade with Tech points (New Unit types/higher Unit Cap),
        Those you get from clearing a Star system fully ,but that also raises the AI aggression which means larger enemy Fleets.
        So in Endeffect you build some Strongpoints with Factories,raid some Systems For Tech points.
        Raid other Systems without destroying the last Base to Clear Paths to your Targets without raising Aggression,
        then hit your Endtargets all in sequence.
        Don´t expect a standard 4X like Moo2 or Distant Worlds.
        There is no Diplomacy,only one Enemy.
        Fleet Battles are usually Huge Blobs shrinking each other,*if* you care enough to zoom into the System.
        No designing your Ships . etc. etc.

I myself played it for about 10 Hours then dropped it and forgot it. Its okay….ish .

• Professor Paul1290 says:

Sounds almost like you played a game on mid or low difficulty and/or with easier AI types and/or with few options enabled and assumed every game is like that.

If you can blob all your of ships and blast through every system that way then either your difficulty is too low, used easier or more passive AI types, or got lucky (unlucky?) the the combination of types you got if it was randomly picked. Usually you can get away with it on low level systems with few defenses, but on more heavily defended ones you’ll more often than not a starship, guardian or something of that sort pass through and eat all ships of a certain type to mess up your fleet mix, or you’ll trip some kind of alarm or reactionary mechanism that brings more heavy forces against you. If more exotic/specialized ship types are enabled and the AI is of the appropriate type and level to use them well then sometimes you may come up against some kind specialized AOE weapon or in some cases a movement-affecting weapon (maybe a gravity or tractor beam type) that will disperse or re-position your fleet.

Also, the game isn’t entirely without ship design. There are certain starship types and fortresses that can be configured with different load-outs of weapons and defensive components. Also if you choose to start with a “Champion” (Normal + Champion) you get another ship with it’s own set of upgrades and hull types that you can get components and unlock active abilities for.

Also if you want a more varied game then there are plenty of optional minor factions and AI modifiers as well so you can make the game more laid back or more chaotic if you want. If your game is too straightforward then you should try using more of them.

• MayhemMike says:

Tower Defense? Not at all!

It is a RTS game, there is no point in comparing it to a 4x game.

• KDR_11k says:

The devs sometimes say it has TD elements. Outside of the announced attacks I don’t really see it either.

2. bovine3dom says:

You missed off Hearts of Iron III for £3.74

Colonel J says:

yes this was an impulse buy for me as I have a weakness for these crushingly complicated Paradox strategy games, which then spend more time in my backlog / conscience queue rather than actually being played but hey.

If you get this pack you’ll want the most recent Their Finest Hour expansion for £1.99 as well. This may be the first time that’s been discounted as it’s near the top of the Gamersgate bestsellers atm. In fact they say they’ve run out of license keys and will send you one in a few days. I bought it anyway and turns out that’s just the registration key for the Paradox forums (and maybe MP?), you can still download it and play it without the key.

Lexx87 says:

Still a bit buggy but Race the Sun is a great example of its genre. Great fun and worth $5 of anyone’s money.

4. LionsPhil says:

Still some time left on Gunpoint’s introductory sale, too.

• Aaax says:

Bought it but I don’t recommend buying it, wait for 50% sale. It has too little content.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s six quid. You’re saying to hold off for a difference of less than the price of lunch.

It is short, though. Took me about five hours I think, and I was being all slow and meticulous.

Hodge says:

True, but it has replay value in the form of multiple solutions to the levels, as well as the option to go back and try for silent runs and so on. And then there’s the level editor which will almost certainly result in some interesting (free) user-designed stuff in the weeks to come.

It’s also short because he took a ruthless ‘no padding’ approach to the game’s design, so it’s not bloated up with cutscenes and unskippable crap.

• Aaax says:

Yes it was only 9 bucks but still, content-wise it feels as if it was in alpha. I feel so much could be done with the mechanics, nonlinear story, side quests etc… but now it’s more like proof of concept you spin to publisher than full game.

If this is indeed 9$ game then Hotline Miami would be 30$ game.

• Leb says:

i enjoyed the (free) beta testing I did so much i spent 9 bucks to give the guy some money, even if i have already completed it.

I hope to see some funky maps come from the community with the level editor. He should get some workshop integration going

• LionsPhil says:

Honestly, the level editor needs work too; my attempt at throwing together Baby’s First Trivial Infiltration just lead to game crashes. Hopefully Tom is going to be a Good Bloke and keep up the after-sales patching for a good while.

• Caiman says:

Your perception of value is way off, I’d say. $9 for 4-5 hours of great entertainment is pretty damn good in most peoples’ book. I don’t think I’d have wanted to drag this on for another 10 hours either. It was fun, but Tom explored most of the mechanics in those 4-5 hours. I’m sure modders will come up with new material and insanely complex designs, just as I’m sure Tom will continue to support it now that it’s proving successful.

5. Theon says:

Race the Sun feels a lot more like Nitronic Rush than Starfox, but that just makes it more attractive to me.

Hodge says:

Probably the best bargain bucket I’ve seen, wot with all those bundles.

If my dodgy maths are right the Humble, Bundle-In-A-Box, AI bundle and Charlie’s bundle can all be had complete with their unlocks for around $20, for which you’ll get over 20 games with sod-all filler.

Do yourself a favour, etc.

• Arona Daal says:

It has become pretty normal that there are at least 3 or 4 Bundles active at any time, A lot of People just never seem to know of them. Good that BargBucket begins to correct that.

• belgand says:

By my count there are 10 that are currently active as of this writing. I personally use http://isthereanydeal.com/ to keep track of both them as well as price drops/sales on games in general. While SavvyGamer and the Bucket are quite excellent they’re more UK-focused while IsThereAnyDeal is rather more USA-focused.

7. wisnoskij says:

They do not even seem to check the address, I put a legitimate city, state, and area code; but skipped the rest. And I do not even know if I had to go that far.

8. nrvsNRG says:

FYI, Lego batman 2 dc heroes works out as £16 with the code. (£20 – 20%)

9. Lobotomist says:

I dont know if its relevant to humble bundle , but you can buy Demon Souls for 10$ on GMG if you apply coupon found on this forums.

10. Koozer says:

Everything Civ V is 75% off too, on Steam and Gamersgate!

11. Bhale7 says:

I’ve been meaning to get Bioshock Infinite for awhile. Now it sounds like it’s actually a price I’d be willing to pay.

12. MeestaNob says:

Bioshock Infinite is fantastic, the ending is magic.

Just don’t play it on hard, it’s totally not designed for that.

• KDR_11k says:

I’d suggest playing Virtue’s Last Reward first if you’re after a great story, it’s better than BI in that respect and the gameplay is paced properly for a game so designed around the story.

basilisk says:

Actually, I finished it on hard (first time) and normal (second time) and I’d say hard was overall better – with the massive exception of that one recurring boss fight which was beyond annoying. Normal felt a bit too easy, and I’m saying that as someone who isn’t particularly good at shooters and played it both times with a gamepad.

I hear 1999 is just silly, though.

• MeestaNob says:

On hard I found the handymen too challenging for the most part, especially in areas where it wasn’t super easy to access the rail system. The fight again undead lady comstock was fucking horrendous. The rest of the game is still a cakewalk though, even on hard.

• KDR_11k says:

It’s definitely pretty easy in terms of gun handling. After I beat BI I tried some Payday and it’s WAAAAAY harder to shoot guns there.

• malkav11 says:

The reason I wouldn’t recommend hard is that it substantially lowers the amount of money you have to work with, which means you don’t get to upgrade tonics as much and thus one of the key elements in making the combat enjoyable is diminished.