Come And Play Planetside 2 With Us!

By Jim Rossignol on June 10th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Yes, that’s an order. We’re going to be doing a big old call to arms on the Miller server on the 16th. The last couple of these have been completely fantastic, with hundreds of RPS readers working together in multiple platoons to set the various continents on (purple) fire. It’s a Sunday evening this time, too, which should make things easier for many. You’ll need to be able to listen in on our Mumble voice comms to participate.

And if you are playing NC or TR, well, bring it on.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Hazzard65 says:

NC absolutely smashed VS last night on Indar… was sooo good watching those purple pansies get lit up all over the shop! Our Vanguards were knocking on your gate bubble.

2. tKe says:

Now to find something to occupy the wife for the evening…

Looking forward to ROing again.

3. Keiggo says:

Hello all. I’d love to play PS2 with you guys but I am cripplingly ill-educated as to the ins and outs of the game (I believe it’s quite unfriendly to begin with). Could you please advise me on the best place to start?

Thank you!

• tKe says:

Honestly, the best place to start is to jump on the RPS mumble on any day and say hi!

The guys and gals on there will be happy to introduce to the the game and help you learn the ropes.

• Keiggo says:

I’ll try to figure out Mumble later then. As I said, I’m pretty green. Thanks for the reply.

• dewisant says:

Hey Keiggo,

I’m Dewi one of the RPS Balloon Leaders. If you’re about at some point in the week I would happy to go through some orientation with you. Planetside 2 is notoriously difficult for new players to understand, so a quick run through might help quite a bit.

Just PM me on our forums (username on forums is “Dewi”) to arrange when you would like to do this!

See you in game soon!

• Cei says:

Pop in on the night, and we’ll run you through the basics. The big thing is to get Mumble sorted so you can talk to us, as we use that rather than ingame chat.

• Keiggo says:

I’m pretty new to PC gaming in general (I’m an Xbox casualty) so I’ll have a look at Mumble later. It’s a big scary world still!

• Koozer says:

At the risk of sounding traitorous, if I were you I would just jump straight in on your own, have a wander about at your own pace, and don’t worry about your score until you have things figured out. You can set up the Mumble stuff whenever you like. I would describe PS2 as like Battlefield (2142), but with every map stitched together, if that helps.

• MrEclectic says:

That’s how I did in the beginning, and it was a mistake. I’ve never played an FPS or an MMO before, so thought it best to go lone wolf for a couple of weeks before imposing my newbiness upon RPS. I got hooked, but it was frustrating, and I didn’t really learn that much. RPS is a friendly and welcoming community, and participating in a team eases the steep learning curve of this game.

Ksempac says:

Don’t worry, we expect lots of beginners to show up during CtA (that’s the whole point!), and we usually manage to get them up to speed fairly well. Honestly, through Mumble, the basics of the game can be explained in 2 min while ingame.
      Of course, like others suggested, if you can pop up during an evening this week, it will be better, but it’s not at all mandatory.

Also the game is newbie friendly in the sense that your individual performance doesn’t matter. You can’t feed the enemy, so you’re free to try things out, and then repeat if it didn’t work out the first time. Only the global team performance matters.

The only thing beginners should worry about is DOWNLOAD, INSTALL AND RUN THE GAME BEFORE the actual event. Otherwise, you will spend your CtA watching a download bar.

This time again, i will be squad (or maybe platoon) leader, and it will be my pleasure to teach beginners and then lead both vets and beginners for awesome pew pew fights :D

• varangian says:

A reasonable start would be, after creating a character and so on, to start off as an engie (or medic, though my preference was for the former) and just use the redeploy option (found on the map) to go wherever there’s a good fight. As an engie you can lurk behind the fighting – or just in the safe area of the spawn room – and clock up certs supplying ammo and repairing Max suits and stuff. With a couple of hundred certs you’ll be able to upgrade your armour and weapons sufficiently so engaging in combat isn’t instant suicide. This avoids the discouraging experience of dying every 2 minutes which will be your likely fate if you charge straight in.

Though if you’re planning to join the purple giraffe chaps please totally ignore this advice as I play for the NC and need more easy kills to get my kill/death ratio over 1.0. From which you’ll gather I failed to do this myself when I started out and just charged in, with the inevitable result.

4. bard says:

I’ll just be in my Reaver, waiting for the hordes of red blips to appear beneath me.

5. Niko says:

I’ve just started playing for VS on Miller, so I’ll be in a Phalanx turret, trying to shoot stuff.

6. Armante says:

I’ll be TR, on a different server, on the other side of the planet in a different time zone :/

Have fun tho! :)

7. PatrickSwayze says:

But Jimmmm, next weekend is The Last Of Us weekend. You unthinking cad.

8. Senethro says:

I tried to have fun with PS2 but I just didn’t get it. Either its gigantic open fields with nothing much happening or you’re part of a huge blob of friendly players that overruns things without effort. If blobs from two of the sides meet then it feels like an over populated ’90s TDM server, including the bad interior map design, grenades spammed into blind corners and glowy scifi textures everywhere. Theres also a huge amount of downtime spent spawning and travelling that it just feels like less activity and kills happen in this game of thousands than in the same time spent on a 24player Battlefield server.

What am I missing?

• dewisant says:

I’ll admit that lone wolfing and being just a dot in a zerg are not fun to play in PS2. But that’s what the game throws new players into. It’s the outfit and squad play that I find most satisfying and it’s what we try to achieve in RPS.

We usually run with a platoon of 12 man squads, each squad being designated a goal by the platoon leader, and each squad carrying out the order by sticking and working together.

We have been known to co-ordinate throwing down smoke bombs and breaching various facilties, hosing the enemies down whilst they can’t see diddly squat.

I would recommend joining us on the 16th, or even say a Thursday evening when we emphasise tactical squad play more than normal if you want to give it another chance. It’s what keeps me playing, along with the fantastic peeps of the outfit.

Ksempac says:

Your post don’t mention it so, did you play as part of an outfit/platoon/squad with voice coms? Ps2 is a MMOFPS. It’s all about teamplay, 48 people dropping from a plane in a coordinated assault, etc. If you play alone, or with no voice com with your squad, then you’re basically playing an average FPS.
      Since you say it takes so much time to respawn/travel, it feels like you weren’t playing with a team, because respawn is fast and having respawn points close to the fight is the most important thing to keep track of in the game.

Also, Ps2 will never be as frantic as bf or cod, simply because so much happens at the tactical (keeping respawn points/cap points) and strategical layers (what happens on other base affect you) that it would be impossible to play with faster action.
      As a squad leader i have so much things to keep track of that my brain is always full of adrenaline when fights are intense… And that’s only to lead 12 people, which isn’t much in this game!

Finally if you did do all that, well, maybe the game isn’t for you… But if you’ve never tried to play ps2 with an organized outfit, then come join us during this CtA to ser what PS2 truly is!

• mondomau says:

Dropping into a platoon / squad of reasonably organised players with voice chat . Seriously, this last bit is extremely important. You can hop around solo, even join a platoon / squad, but unless there’s a bit of communication, you’ll just feel like a blip in meatgrinder.

I’ve played on and off in rag-tag squads / solo and had an ok-ish time of it, but when I joined up to the RPS guild for a thursday night rumble, I was dropped into a squad that communicated, gave and actually carried out orders. It was wonderful. I felt like I was actually achieving something, even though it was the same frantic combat and constant re-deploying (both of which I am very bad at), because it was part of a more cohesive strategy (in this case, crush the NC and Warpgate them for shits and giggles). Squadmates were friendly and helpful and I definitely recommend it.

TL;DR:

– Join an outfit
      – Get on Mumble (or whatever your outfit of choice uses)
      – Pay attention
      – Have fun

9. FerixLad says:

Aww, that’s terribly inconvenient. I’ll be going to Rhodes with my class mates that Sunday.
    Really wish I could be a part of this, maybe next time though. You kick some serious butts people, and Vanu smile upon you.

samsharp99 says:

If anyone already has a TR character on Miller – PCG have an outfit that is exclusively TR. We’ve battled before with the RPS lot and it’s a lot of fun! :)

Their website is here: http://ps2pcg.enjin.com/

Surlywombat says:

Burn the heretic!

• Anders Wrist says:

The TR zerg doesn’t need more players. New players should join NC or VS. The population imbalance is already pretty annoying on Miller as is.

• Jakhara says:

I agree that VS needs more people; as PCG outfit leader the more Giraffe’s on the battlefield the better.
        For those not wanting to put purple stockings on, head to the NC side and RTRS(?). Either outfit will set you up well.
        If you MUST be Terran Red, give me a holla in-game or check out the website above. (Sorry for the plug, but you’d do the same, VS guys :D)

11. Tei says:

If you can make movies, or what to help in making some, please read the forum and take help from other videomakers. Planetside 2 is full of moments like “HAVE YOU SEEN THAT?!?! HAHAHAHA” and is sad when these moments get lots in a unlimited stream of awesome :-/

12. beeblebrx says:

Count me in! I have just started a Vanu character on Miller (used to play something else on another server) and I’ve been thinking about joining RPS outfit but my current headset doesn’t have a microphone and even if it did I probably wouldn’t dare to open my mouth on your Mumble channel. This is my chance to try outfit playing.

HighlordKiwi says:

There is no requirement to talk or have a mic. If you’re already playing I’d join ASAP, rather than waiting for the night.

• MadraGorm says:

Well as a outfit member who can only use their mic once in a blue moon i’d say don’t worry about it and just jump on mumble. All you need to be able to do is listen in for orders. As a added bonus, learning the ropes and being a semi-competent player on Miller practically makes you a god on any of the other European servers.

Ksempac says:

Come play with us. Though a mic is better, what we actually requires is that people come on Mumble, so that they can hear orders. As long as you can hear orders, follow them, and from time to time use text chat to reply to a specific enquiry, i would have you in my squad, no problem.

The only trouble we have are people that aren’t on Mumble and can’t hear orders : as a squad/platoon leader i simply don’t have the time to type everything in text chat

Sinomatic says:

New players (and previous Call-to-Arms-only players)…please feel free to join us any evening! You don’t have to wait for a CtA to come and play; we usually have up to a platoon (sometimes more) of people playing every night of the week, so we’ve always got someone around who can help you get set up and fighting alongside us in no time.

Also, if you’re downloading PS2 for the first time, or haven’t run it in a while, please do this well in advance of when you want to play. It would be a shame for you to be stuck watching the download whilst we’re all out shooting pew pew lasers into people’s faces.

14. mickygor says:

Any NC playing on the CtA, we’re gonna be giraffe hunting using a metagame organised by Bankrotas. Come find us on the forums if you wanna take part!

15. guygodbois00 says:

No. You come and play Hawken with me.

16. VariedTurmoil says: