Easily Riled: COD – Ghost Dog Trailered

By Adam Smith on June 10th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

nothing to see here

The E3 videos for COD: Ghosts, or COD: DOG as we really should be calling it, are apparently ‘gameplay reveals’. There’s very little in the way of revelations though, unless the idea of following a dog as well as a man is the sort of overhaul that might make the war-tour appear to you. I reckon dogs improve everything by at least 25%, with the exception of cookery classes and intimate physical moments, but I’m still not particularly interested in wandering behind one during a war. The first video shows precisely that – at one point a character says he’s getting depressed and at the point I felt the sort of empathy that David Cage dreams of evoking. The second video involves scuba diving but, regrettably, the dog is gone by that point. You can watch them below.

The apocalyptic backdrop is very impressive but it doesn’t actually seem to do anything. It’s there though, collapsing and rumbling, and perhaps that will be enough for some? I think the dog is a metaphor for the players, leashed to a pre-programmed route, fed, watered and walked as routine and the whims of the master dictate. We are beyond parody. We are the pet.

Stay down. Roll over. Stay. Sit. Heel.

Videos, save for the latter, from VG24/7.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Nicodemus Rexx says:

“i Want to Hold Your Hand” by the Beatles…. Classy AND cleverly contemptuous. I like it!

2. Didden says:

I can imagine many people will want to collar this puppy when it comes out

• Gap Gen says:

Day-one pooches.

• bella404 says:

up to I looked at the draft for $5874, I didn’t believe that my mother in law was like realie receiving money part time from there pretty old laptop.. there neighbor haz done this for under 9 months and just repaid the loans on there apartment and purchased a top of the range Jaguar XJ. we looked here, kep2.com

• chewbaccasdad says:

I was begging for something innovative but from what I’ve seen it looks like more of the same. It’s about time this franchise learnt some new tricks. I have no doubt that the usual COD playerbase will just roll over for it though.

• aldo_14 says:

Looks a bit ruff to me.

• Scumbag says:

Half those people are barking mad however.

• Vandelay says:

Pants.

Also, DOGFACE.

3. Upper Class Twit says:

Looks alright. I’d preoder, if any of the bonuses involved getting an actual navy SEAL dog from the Call of Duty company.

• RedViv says:

Due to an incorrectly placed order, you will not receive a SEAL dog, but only be able to get a device that shows a DOG with a seal design on anything you want it to appear on.

• Gap Gen says:

And a Navy SEAL team will deliver it to your door, any hour of the day you desire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk3PG66kDe4

Plus they’ll whisper your name up the stairs to avoid waking your family.

4. Laurentius says:

Give a dog a damn gun as well.

5. int says:

I hope multiplayer has barkblast as a perk.

6. Radiant says:

You are wrong Adam. SO VERY WRONG.

Cooking classes enjoyment levels are stratospherically high when a dog is added to the show.

7. Reapy says:

Always a shame that such great production values and art assets are wasted on that game.

8. Bhazor says:

It’s so cute they think people play these games because of the story.

I particularly liked the Xbone conference where they went for ten bloody minutes about how emotional the game is.

• Skamberin says:

I actually play them for the story :( I enjoy a linear action romp with high production values, followed by some MP. I guess I’m in the minority.

9. aldo_14 says:

I feel like I should make some sort of statement by simply cutting and pasting another reply, changing the font a bit, and claiming it’s all new and next-generation-y.

But I can’t be arsed.

Instead, I shall merely point that even I, with my mellow personality, am starting to get a bit pissed off how they pass off exactly the same formulaic pish as ‘new’ every year or two.

10. PedroBraz says:

“I´d like a COD:DOG please.”
    “You want DLC with that?”

• RedViv says:

Yes please. Put it in the cloud, may you? That enhances everything.

• Tatourmi says:

Dear lord, just imagine, the next time you order an omelette or something at restaurant the waiter suddenly throws it into the air and it goes “Into the cloud”. Dematerializing itself in front of your very eyes, going straight to your tummy.

11. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Does the dog open all the doors for you?

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

They lean too!

• Scumbag says:

Who needs to open doors when they jump through windows?
      (clause: Only dogs can jump through windows, players not permitted)

• Ernesto says:

As can be seen in the first video, you don’t have to do anything. The dog jumps through a window like a big, furry ball of angry and out they come. You just have to stand there and shoot them in slow motion. Or wait until your buddy does that for you. Or the dog, while it’s already at it.

• Colonel J says:

i say i say i say
      my dog’s got no player agency
      how does it smell?
      terrible

12. Bitrayahl says:

At least you’ve got the emotioanlly stunted and non-augmented version of Adam Jensen as your constant companion.

13. DXN says:

Do Exactly As I Say, Bro: The Game.

14. Rollin says:

I imagine this conversation took place at Activision:

Wretched Employee: “Guys, I’ve noticed in all our recent games the player has to head down a linear path with the weapons you’re given and if you diverge from this path, you die instantly and are given a quote to stare at while we reload. Why don’t we do something more sandbox-like and let the player make their own decisions?”

Lead Designer: “DOGS. Lets make the player a DOG. And they have to run around and bite people. Call of Duty: DOGS. Make it happen. Aroooooo!”

15. Synesthesia says:

Well, that was the most boring thing i have seen all day. And i have been working with a sore throat! That should be an achievement right there.

16. Git says:

Oh good, I haven’t had a satisfying FPS dog experience since Rise Of The Triad.

17. aircool says:

What’s the point of CoD? The first one was fun and the multiplayer was great, but then they made another, and another, and another, and another, ad nauseum…

18. aircool says:

…and dogs? No. Dogs are great, dogs are cool, dogs are innocent creatures and should no way be involved with a game that tries to portray war as realistically as possible, and as a fun way to pass the time.

19. aircool says:

Sorry man, but this is just fucking wrong. It’s crossed a line. There are some things that happen in real life that should never, ever appear in a video game that attempts to be as realistic as possible. Anyone who has ever seen an animal caught up in warfare would never, ever accept that kind of thing in a videogame. You may as well go the whole hog and have a few of the other realities that happen when humanity is thrown out of the window… How about some child rape, or explicit torture? How about some injured soldiers crying for their mummy whilst shitting their pants and pissing blood? These things happen too, but how far to you go to get total realism?

• Jraptor59 says:

Hey, didn’t you know the next sequel is COD:A Serbian Tale? If you don’t know the movie, look it up.

20. Spacewalk says:

Less COD: DOG and more Animal Contra I say.

21. Jraptor59 says:

I like the part where they are shooting guns underwater. They do know this doesn’t work, eh? Don’t mention the glock because although it fires, bullets, being projectiles, slow down within a few feet. Underwater machine guns are just plain stupid.

22. Morlock says:

I may have missed something, but are there attempts to mind-control dogs in the military? I just don’t understand how the gameplay maps to reality here.