It’s Like Gold, Only Liquidy: Quest For Oil

By Jim Rossignol on June 10th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Oil! The fossilized organic materials on which our civilisation is critically dependent – that does seem pretty weird when you take a step back to consider it, right? – Oil! It’s in the ground, and if you find it then the organisation for which you work will likely issue very large dividends to its shareholders! One such company is Maersk, Danish mega-conglomerate, who have promoted the fine activity of sucking black ooze out of nature with a videogame. What better way to educate? It’s called Quest For Oil, and in it you can analyse findings and drill and so forth. For oil, I mean.

Fancy website, eh browser fans?

Looks pretty full-on, right? Well it is and it isn’t. It’s certainly forthright in its edutainmental thrust, which is that drilling for oil is not only important, but also important. Everyone like ships and helicopters, too, so that’s a plus.

Games are awesome.

, .

1. db1331 says:

The graphics look fairly crude.

• Brun says:

I dunno, I thought they looked quite slick.

• Deadite says:

I think they could use some refinement.

• Porkolt says:

Honestly, they do look pretty shale.

• bella404 says:

Chase. although Peggy`s storry is astonishing… I just got a great new Ariel Atom from making $8550 this last five weeks and also $10,000 this past month. without a question it is the nicest job I have ever done. I started this 5 months ago and almost straight away made myself more than $75… per/hr. I work through this website,, kep2.com

• ocelotwildly says:

Nah, they’re fractionally better than that. Might not be great, but at least it’s free – it would be different if you had to Shell out on it.

• mr.black says:

Well, hope it won’t be a too much of a Bore.. I wonder on what Platforms are they selling it.. And whose palms had they had to grease to ship it..

• dE says:

Odd, I thought finding oil had to do with staring down the barrel of a tank. There is a distinct lack of tanks in that trailer. Can someone spill some info on that?

• KuraraII says:

I’m sick and tired of people complaining about graphics, how about you go and get brent!

gorgonaut says:

I’m totally pumped for this. It’s about fracking time someone made a game about these things! I hear it’s a barrel of laughs. Also, I hear the character rigging is superb.

• Panther_Modern says:

I think they are actually pretty refined; if they were any better, I doubt my rig could handle it.

• vivlo says:

But at least, it’s available for both the major platforms ! (i mean, those belonging to some mega-conglomerates)

• caseworks says:

I’m sure i could pump a few more volts in to my rig to make the grade.

• TechnicalBen says:

I know I’m probably interrupting the drill, but threads like these are why I read RPS.

• m00n says:

Shale oil buy it? Natural, Gas I will. Kuwait its free? Coal Tar! Frack yea.

2. KDR_11k says:

Can’t imagine this including many risk factors due to the sponsoring.

3. bluebomberman says:

So is there a failure state? Like “spilling millions of gallons of crude oil into the ocean and causing massive damage to the ecosystem and regional economy”?

• mr.black says:

A burning question..

mjrmua says:

Since when has that even been a failure state for a oil company?

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It’s an opportunity to devise wondrous new billing schemes to find some way to get those pesky marine mammals to pay for all that crude oil they’ve stolen from the corporation without compensation.

• bluebomberman says:

You got me there. :p

EDIT: I guess the failure state is everybody going greener.

• jonahcutter says:

They’ve disabled comments on their Youtube videos for this game. So I’m guessing they’re not all that interested in answering questions such as yours.

• Kingmarzo says:

I think its coming in the BP dlc.

• holo99 says:

I remember seeing a “Safety” checkbox in the drill menu somewhere in the trailer. So much about ecological thoughts in a game about penetrating mother earth :-)

4. Safilpope says:

I don’t know about you, but oil be playing this

5. wodin says:

I remember a game on the Atari where you where Red Adair..or he was in it or some such..never got into it though being a dry management sim

• Brun says:

You’d think a game featuring a guy famous for putting out oil well fires with high explosives would be more interesting.

6. Captain Joyless says:

Just to be fair, Russians (and a minority of Western scientists) believe that oil is NOT the fossilized remains of ancient plants and animals, but rather the result of some kind of high-pressure abiotic process.

lol, Russians.

• Aaax says:

“The weight of evidence currently shows that petroleum is derived from ancient biomass.[13] However, it still has to be established conclusively, which means that alternative theories like abiogenic petroleum can’t be dismissed for now.”

So ruling is still not out yet on this one.

• vivlo says:

Thanks, this is actually interesting

• Aaax says:

Yeah, I find that if one tries to read even a little bit into it, he finds that we know terrifyingly little about geology. (holy shit do I get the award for awkward grammar 2013?)

• Phasma Felis says:

Yeah, that one’s popular in the US with crazed religious conservatives because (a) it means all those filthy hippies who worry about running out of oil are delusional–God will just have the earth make more! (b) it doesn’t awkwardly imply that life (or, indeed, the universe) was around millions of years ago.

7. Nemon says:

The bullet points in that trailer lacked “treating your suppliers like shit”.

8. Phasma Felis says:

I wonder if this is meant to be a response to Oil Rush?

• The Random One says:

Ah, thanks by answering the negging question in my mind, ‘How is this not completely unlike that one indie game that sounds very cool and I’d bought in like two bundles already but have never found the time to play?

9. RadioactiveMan says:

I’m a geologist, and as such I can say that the process of mineral exploration/oil exploration is a fascinating activity. I’ve long thought that this type of exploration would make a great concept for a computer game.

Mineral exploration is about pulling together a bunch of different observational and analytical data that is typically at least somewhat incomplete, inaccurate, and unevenly distributed. From this data you develop the best interpretation you can, based upon science, theory, experience, risk comfort, and gut feeling, and devise a strategy to test your interpretation with the goal of, essentially, discovering buried treasure. The exploration process happens against a backdrop of geology, infrastructure, finance, business, politics, environment, people, and history. Its amazingly complicated and I think the decision-making process has a lot of parallels to the decision making process in a world-building simulation game (Fate of the World, I’m looking your way)

That being said, a game which is just propaganda -for or against- is much less interesting and enjoyable for me.

10. BlitzThose says:

yet more big budgeted oil industry PR tat, although this needs to go some way to beat the Shell safety video with John Cleese in it, yes shell made a video with John Cleese and they wasted that stroke of genius by not having any comedic elements in it at all.

yes John we really do “not” care about Shells safety culture “cough” ahem safety when it suits them…

death by boredom

11. samedhi says:

I hope you get to finance one minority ethnic group into a position of power over another; just wouldn’t be the complete experience without that.

• El_Emmental says:

And the Hostage Situation DLC, where you either:

a) End up paying the bill to a terrorist organization to get (most of) your western engineers back, while the less-trained local workers are left to die/rot in their cell/gather the money by themselves.

b) Ask a western special forces (or the local special forces, if you make a bad RNG roll on the ‘inter-nations politics’ factor) to launch an assault on the plant.