This Is Not A: Mirage

By Jim Rossignol on June 10th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Origo send of their – and yes this is an announcement for PC, honestly it is – side-scrolling beat ‘em up. It’s called Mirage. They claim that is is “Told as a “Wuxia” story, which literally means “martial hero”,” and that “Mirage captures the essence of a broad genre of Chinese fiction concerning the adventures of martial artists.” The visual style (see it in the E3 video below) certainly looks fetching, but we all know the proof will be in the playing, which takes on a tag-team dynamic of swapping between the two protagonists as you progress. The developers S-Games previously made the Rainblood RPGs, which I have to admit I had not heard of until about twenty seconds ago.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. RedViv says:

This looks pretty and fun. I like pretty. I like fun.

2. yabonn says:

And here I am, alone and miserable in my corner, shouting above my shoulder, without looking “we want fake 3d beat them all! The grab mechanics it allows are fun!”.

I have no hope, and no one ever listens.

3. FakeAssName says:

Groan

Wuxia doesn’t mean that; I know where you are getting it from, but they are wrong.

Yes, you could translate it that way “literally” but there are also ways that various types of produce translate into “dumb fuck.”

“Wu” is martial arts, and is what the west is actually talking about when we say “kung-fu”.
    (Kung-Fu was a mistranslation, it just means “mastery of something”)

“Xia” is closer to “accredited warrior” than hero, which could be related into being considered a Hero except that most of those this was directed at were murders, rapists, and thieves.

In the context of what Wuxia is actually talking about, god of war would also be a Wuxia game.

• FakeAssName says:

In more real world terms: Special Forces & SWAT would be considered Wuxia, but so would gang bangers & terrorists …… so back to Video game terms, Call Of Doggie would be a Wuxia.

• dE says:

Honestly, it’s as close as you can get, without having to explain a whole set of cultural differences or the very different ideas behind what makes a person considered valuable.

• FakeAssName says:

But Warrior fits it in one word without having to get into the semantics of Hero turning to Villain depending on context.

• dE says:

Yes – and western markets love stories about heroes (good) beating some evil. It’s not a perfect translation that explains all the differences, but as I said, I think it’s close enough. Certainly not bad enough to cry foul and argue semantics over.

• Arglebargle says:

I can remember my surprise when I discovered that ‘sword and sorcery’ type stories are over a thousand years old in Chinese literary tradition. Wish more of it was translated.

Tales of the Flying Swordsmen!

4. wcq says:

Sure looks like Vanillaware’s “Muramasa – The Demon Blade” was an inspiration.

5. YogSo says:

You should read RPS more often, Jim ;)

• Soldancer says:

Personally, I LOVED Rainblood: Town of Death. It’s the first thing I thought of when I saw the lead-in pic, and I was happy to see that it wasn’t just a coincidence. The setting and are style are very somber yet evocative, and the gameplay was really well done. They did a great job of making a single-member-party turn-based RPG, which I haven’t seen since…Dragon Quest 1?

6. Fenixius says:

It looks great, but I really hope that slowdown effect isn’t in the actual game. From Dust has really spoiled me with it’s insanely slick action, and it looks like I’ll be sitting there getting annoyed at this if it goes into slow motion for every special attack.

7. Lemming says:

fluff ends and the game begins at the 50 second mark, FYI.

8. Fred S. says:

Looks like they got the Wuxia style cheesy over-the-top martial arts battles down anyway.

9. Arglebargle says:

Dang that’s pretty! The gameplay doesn’t look like it will appeal to me, sadly.

10. smeaa mario says:

It bugs me to see how much potential was utterly wasted in this game by implementing only sidescrolling movement (left and right). Using an arena system, where you can also move up and down would do it so much justice.

11. Veracity says:

Have these things been enjoying a bit of a renaissance of late? Especially including some XBLA exclusives and Vanillaware’s output there seem to be more of them around than I’m used to. Or maybe they’re like 2d shooters or point and click adventures, that never exactly did die out, but you needed to be looking for them to notice.

Comment on this story