We’re Basically In The Dark About This

By Jim Rossignol on June 10th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

I have to admit that I am intrigued by Dark. A sci-fi vampire stealth game doesn’t turn up every day, so even if Dark doesn’t look like it’s going to be able to compete with the highest AAA production values, it’s going to be fascinating to see how it plays. That we’ve yet to see any kind of hands-on with the game might not bode well, of course. The E3 trailer, which can be seen below, is… an interesting choice. I presume the music was chosen to shriek out over the hubbub of the E3 show floor, rather than to actually work with stealth-game footage. Because. Yeah. I’ve posted the most recent gameplay trailer too, so you have a better idea of what’s afoot.

Anyway, the game is playable at E3.

The game is out July 5th in the EU and July 9th in North America.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ansob says:

It’s also the kind of music that almost might have been featured in one of Bloodlines’ clubs.

• povu says:

Yup, definitely trying to appeal to Vampire Bloodlines fans.

Very similar style of music and vocals.

• G_Man_007 says:

I’m not sure how weird it is that I’m not the only person to have thought that. Is that Chiasm in the trailer?

2. Crosmando says:

Press A for Cover

• Beartastic says:

That’s only because he’s on the left-hand side of the screen. Otherwise it’d be “D”.

3. Squire says:

2009 called, they said you can keep their graphics.

• Sheng-ji says:

1998 called and asked for their meme back,

then 2013 called and said that if you want to keep pace with AAA graphical fidelity, you’ll need to plough so much investment into it that it will be difficult to raise that much money without submitting your game to approval by people to whom Call of Duty is the gold standard.

• Archipelagos says:

Ouch. Now that was a burn.

• Sheng-ji says:

I know!

And now, a mocapped alsatian has called and explained that realistic dog mouth animations are the ONLY way you can ever get emotionally invested in any game.

• belgand says:

Not being capable of human speech he explained that by licking me. It worked.

• Howard says:

But its an apt meme. Also, “good” or “better” graphics does not mean following the herd down the uncanny valley, it just means better or at least more interesting. These part cell-shaded bags of arse just look bloody silly – like an early generation Dreamcast game.

Henke says:

the jerkstore called, they’re running out of both of you.

• Howard says:

Why? ‘Cos I can articulate what I mean why you have to resort to childish name calling? Get a grip, son.

kregg says:

The WARFACESTORE called. It wanted to know how all your memes are doing, and when you would call back to have a nice 5 minute chat.

You said you were too busy. “That’s OK,” the WARFACESTORE thought. “You are far too important for the WARFACESTORE”. Then the store went downstairs and cried a little.

Gap Gen says:

Note that it’s DARK, not Dark, and is thus an acronym for, I dunno, Diddly Addly Rompy Kopfighter.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Silly, it’s Don’t Agro Redneck Kops!

• AngoraFish says:

The game’s name is Dark, which as a proper noun and in accordance with the normal rules of English grammar, has only the first letter capitalised.

Since when did companies get to rewrite English in order to con journalists into shoehorning corporate branding into prose?

Let’s see what the General Register Office says when I try to register the name of my first born child as “B*RiAN#sMith”…

• LionsPhil says:

Dracula in Anorak Raids Kwikiemart.

• jonahcutter says:

Perhaps one is intended to shout the title.

• Low Life says:

DARK’s Acronym Recursiveness Konfuses.

5. -Spooky- says:

Wat dat? DX9 shitty console port? We will see many “overrated” DX9 games on this year E3. So – wait till next.

• baltasaronmeth says:

Putting “overrated” in quote marks does not hide the fact, that the word does not really mean anything.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Without scare quotes, it means “I think less of this thing than I perceive the rest of the world thinks of it.”

With scare quotes, I guess it means “You might expect me to think less of this thing than I perceive the rest of the world to think of it, but in actual fact I think the same of it, or perhaps more of it.”

So it doesn’t mean nothing! But it would be far more useful to express one’s opinion of a game in terms that aren’t relative to one’s perception or assumptions of the rest of the world’s opinions of the game.

So yeah, don’t use the word ‘overrated’.

6. Jefka says:

that music sounds like L’ame immortelle which should do well with the target vampire audience…

7. ZIGS says:

Metacritic average of 6. You heard it here first

• Deadly Habit says:

Metracritic is about as useful and relevant as comments on youtube.

• ZIGS says:

I know, this is a prediction of how the gaming press will receive the game

• Jac says:

As the most abysmal game ever made!? I shall heed your prophetic words and wait for the 0/10 and 1/10 reviews.

8. Freud says:

Looks pretty good to me, but I always had a bit of a fetish for skulk’em up games.

9. CrispinFister says:

It looks like a game for chavs by chavs. SO HOODIE, BRO. I honestly can’t stand that kind of “I’m wearing a hoodie with my sleeves rolled up so I’m like this totes urban tough guy who is elite and brooding and dark” kind of tripe. I weep for humanity. It’s games like this that are responsible for turning inner-city kids into knife-wielding terrorists. Seriously.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Lol, as long as it doesn’t have the 72 virgin achievement unlock!

Surlywombat says:

You just needed a “won’t someone think of the children” to nicely round that post off.

• belgand says:

No, it’s 1950s rock-and-roll music that turns inner-city kids into knife-wielding terrorists. Or dancers. I could never quite follow how that works out. Must be some sort of tracking bit in the schools.

10. Emeraude says:

What we’ve been shown of that game is pressing so many right and so many wrong buttons at the same time…

11. sonson says:

And so we answer the question “Is the man who provided the VA for Geralt forever doomed to be thought of as the man who provided the VA for Geralt irrespective of where his voice is encountered?”

RedViv says:

I thought this question was already answered in 2011, with his renaming to “OH PLEASE NOT YOU AGAIN STOP FOLLOWING ME ALL OVER SKYRIM McVoiceman”.

12. denizsi says:

Gameplay footage looks all kinds of wrong. Too much style and risk-averse gameplay. There are a few interesting ideas but the realisation looks, not just underbudget but just plain terribly amateurish. Can’t see how anyone can even get excited about this, it offers nothing interesting on the surface. And if it were to have even a trace amount of the charm of Bloodlines, they would show something other than a hoodie crawling around places and people in to-cool-to-care postures while eating bullets on his back.

Looks to me like an indie slamdunk on popularity of vampires (and utilisation of the genre).

13. ChiefOfBeef says:

Brought to us by the genius minds behind ‘Dungeons’. Stay clear.

14. NightTrace says:

So…how is this not an “action!” knockoff of Vampire the Masquerade? The “powers” are the the damned same in substance and in name (adding “ion” to a word doesn’t change what it is).

15. Saarlaender39 says:

Hmm,…let’s see:

stealth gameplay…*check*
    some psy forces…*check*
    lots of shooting enemies…*check*

I think I’ll stick with “Second Sight”, then…I prefer originals over rip-offs. ;o)

• kibertoad says:

Dishonoured wants to have a word with you.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Second Sight released in 2004,
        Dishonoured released in 2012,
        Dark released in 2013
        …Case closed.
        ;)

16. Dowr says:

Third person does nothing but undermine stealth games.

17. Matzerath says:

I was wondering: Is this the upcoming vampire game I just played a demo of? But no, that one is here:
    Also with somewhat janky graphics, but … it was fun! The more attempts to recapture the magic of Bloodlines, the better. And sure, hopefully someone upgrades the graphics a little bit. Just a little.