Boundless Information: Watch Dogs Mission Walkthrough

By Adam Smith on June 11th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

In a post-PRISM reality, or rather a world in which the public have knowledge of PRISM, the hack and crash nature of open city cyber-adventure Watch Dogs could be considered timely, topical or controversial. Judging by the latest footage to emerge from the heaving bowels of E3, it’s really a game about superpowers though. Strip away the theme of a game and most abilities beyond running, jumping and falling down have a supernatural whiff about them. Observe as our hero, who really needs a strepsil, summons an impenetrable darkness. He does it by pressing a button on his smartphone, which causes all the lights in the city to turn off. It’s technology rather than magic, see?

A little disappointing that the camera hacking is responsible for what looks very much like a third person point and click stealth sequence but it’s good to see a game that takes the GTA-like open city and does some new things within it. That car was sneaking at the beginning and to avoid rather than to stalk. It’s not often that a car gets its creep on like that.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. luukdeman111 says:

I don’t think I’d call this a mission walkthrough… It looks like a cgi trailer to me..

EDIT: damn you Adam….. Now my comment looks very silly….. I mean it people it was a cgi trailer when i posted this comment!

2. Nashua says:

So looking forward to this, if only 25% of what they promised us is true this game will be spectacular!

• The Random One says:

I agree, and I doubt they’ll deliver more than 30% of what they promised.

3. HisMastersVoice says:

You’ve got the wrong video attached to the post. You’re probably looking for this

Is it just me or did the overall quality of graphics somehow decline between 2012 and 2013 versions of the game? Especially the wet segments of last year’s footage looked better.

4. hjd_uk says:

“Hacking is our weapon” ? Looks to me like a big stick and a handgun are their weapons.
    And if you can effertlessly hack the bad-guys computers why not just send all that evidence of sex-trafficing to the authorities? What was the point in bursting in, coldy murdering several security personell and then shooting the suspect in the leg? That kind of thing would get him let off for being made a victim.

I am hoping the guns,sex&murder focus was mainly Marketing – if you have a ability to affect the whole city, surely the main point in the game is to not be noticed or involved directly, to hack the equipment and automated systems to play people offagainst each other / steal info etc.

I need more gameplay vids / info cos this just left me cold.

[EDIT] The video changed! …. watching… [/edit]

Hmm, better, more of the gameplay i’d expect but still a lot of no-consequences cold-blooded murder going on.

Y’know, seing as the idea of user-ID gun locks have been around for a while now it wouldnt be hard to factor that into a Hacking game – its the near future and all guns are user-ID controlled – hacker locks-out enemies gun and then mace/trunchons him unconscious, easy.

Gap Gen says:

Because this is a videogame, so it has to glorify irresponsible and gratuitous use of violence. Duh.

• hjd_uk says:

Yeah but to me it doesnt really fit the overarching theme of being a Hacker, in GTA etc you are a Gangster – your M.O. pretty much is “Murder your way to riches and power”, a hacker ? something along the lines of “fuck the system” not “kill everyone that gets in my way”.

( and yeah i know yours is a sarcastic reply :) )

Gap Gen says:

“to hack” used to mean something different before 1980, of course.

• LennyLeonardo says:

You mean riding through the countryside on horseback, of course.

Gap Gen says:

Actually, talking about hacks, I was watching the video thinking “this is basically a Spider Jerusalem game”.

This is the same Skype conversation where I noted that all of Ubisoft’s games were set in Chicago, and my desire for a Rahm Emmanuel game.

squirrelrampage says:

A Spider Jerusalem game? Needs more bowel disruptors and filthy assistents!

• StormTec says:

You and Ubisoft clearly want to take this into different directions. Although I would wonder what good sending evidence of illicit and illegal activity to the authorities, which are controlled by a corrupt system, would do. I think that is the note they’re going for with this game, not a game that simulates the experience of being a hacker and having the hacker “ethos”, as it were.

• hjd_uk says:

I just had a thought: if this game was set in an alternative history-future where the Natzis won and you are in the Resistance fighting against the Facist system, then that would fit perfectly – the motheaten fingerless gloves and scarf, the need for secrecy and stealth, the unthinking murder of Police and other Pro-Facist goons. You could even factor in the ‘Goddamn-Batman Voice’ after being tortured by the Gestapo or something. Much more interesting than “woOOooo! the hyper-connected future is scar-ry”
            Where’s my cheque?

• Grargh says:

You are aware that “the authorities” are well involved in a lot of the trafficking and organized crime, or will at least sweep it under the rug and frame you as the criminal? If not, take a close look at the way the US authorities treat anyone leaking evidence of their unlawful activities.

Gap Gen says:

To be fair, the NSA leaks/Wikileaks were national security concerns in a way that human trafficking is not. Note that Obama openly supported the programme, too. Not that this justifies illegal activity, of course, but it’s worth noting that the illegal programme was the NSA’s main source of information, and maknig them obey the law *could* cause a higher success rate of domestic terrorists (possibly, I’ve not seen if the programme was successful in location terrorists beyond normal FBI operations).

5. Viroso says:

Every video I watch of this game makes me call BS. Way too many nice little moments that work too well for a game, make me think they’re using way too much scripted stuff on their trailers.

• PopeRatzo says:

All that “scripted stuff” will be in the game, and you’ll be trying to mash buttons while you have lost control of your character until you are given a cue to press “X”.

DarkLiberator says:

Taking out the city’s powe rwill be fun to play with. And it looks like he tries to not kill if he can avoid it, granted didn’t stop him from creating a traffic pileup in the first video.

• Grargh says:

Imagine the amount of car accidents happening when a whole city block is rendered pitch black for half a minute. Also, a bunch of people in nearby hospitals won’t make it if you cut the power… there’s actually quite a lot of implied manslaughter in that video.

Tinus says:

Hacking: the new Magic. The mechanics really don’t seem to explore the theme. Way too much press X to Y.

Jumping into cameras to scout for buddies almost makes it OK, but it’s too little to late for me.

• scottb says:

How can it be “too little, too late?” The game isn’t released, you’ve never played it, and only seen 3 (?) gameplay trailers.

8. Haplo says:

“Hack and Crash”

Nice. Good for Gunpoint too.

9. PopeRatzo says:

$20 says your $60US is going to buy you a 6.5 hour campaign of third-person action where it feels like you’re character is a marionette controlled with slack rubberbands (see, “Remember Me”), with an XBOX controller required.

I’ve got zero confidence that this game will be either good, or worth the money.

• The Random One says:

Can I take your bet, then wait until the game is on a 66% off sale?

10. tur1n says:

I think it looked very promising. The interactions with the world were a whole lot more interesting than in GTA or Assassins Creed.

11. 2helix4u says:

Would be cool if it was all systems based design ala Monaco or something. I assume it will end up being a passable GTA clone with contextual button prompts though.

I’m willing to allow the possibility of it being a really fun toy in the vein of Prototype or Just Cause 2 though, but I think that’s less likely. It’ll probably score well regardless though.

12. Muzman says:

Has a bit of that Human Revolution thing of tangling with blind idiots who can’t sweep an area or watch each other’s backs.
    I guess that’s to be expected though. Still would like people to try something a bit different.

This also looks like the world they keep passing all these unpleasant laws and contracting all these highly paid infosec firms to prevent. “In a world… where network security… didn’t change much after 1997…”

All of which isn’t to say it doesn’t look cool.

13. mr_merriweather says:

At least the recreation of Chicago looks neat–am I wrong in thinking this is the first open world game set in the city?

14. DatonKallandor says:

I still think it’s hilarious that all the Ubisoft games use literally the same UI style and font. The Assassins Creed one. Even when it doesn’t fit at all. Lara Croft, Assassins Creed, Watchdogs – they all have the exact same UI. Down to the same +xp popups all the time.

• Heimdall2061 says:

I actually have a hypothesis that this game will turn out to be in the AssCreed universe, and that Aiden Pierce is an Assassin (or possibly a Templar.)

• The Random One says:

Does sound like the kind of thing that sounds cool when shouted out but groanworthy when actually done that Ubi is well known for.

15. wodin says:

Looked fun..people expect way to much these days..and seem never to be happy or satisfied.

• Heimdall2061 says:

I agree. I think this game looks extremely promising, and it seems like it will be a lot of fun.

16. MiloticMaster says:

This gameplay trailer has me a little less excited for this game. I thought this was going to be some sort of free roam game- where you’ll be allowed to hack into people’s lives and take on injustices that you thought were necessary- (You know; like a vigilante does).
    But looking at this mission; the gameplay seems extremely GTA inspired; and thats not a bad thing; but I dont want a GTA 4; I want a implicit-like quest system where you can choose your own goals and how to tackle something in an open-world. Basically I want some true free-roaming and ‘doing what the player thinks is right’ and a ‘choose your own quest’ system; not GTA-missions where you’re given an sort of arena and a set of tools.
    I hope this was just a story mission and there’s a good ton of sidequests to live up to that expectation of free-roaming. But the game still has a great world and atmosphere; hopefully the gameplay will live up to that. Or maybe I’m overestimating Watchdogs and its just GTA with a ‘hacking vilgante inspired’ skin.

17. eclipse mattaru says:

I *so* want to be excited about this game; it seems to have quite a few good ideas and I’m totally onboard with the whole Person of Interest ripoff; but on the other hand I’m really, REALLY tired of playing Mr. Generico McGruff over and over and over and over and over and over again. I fucking LOATHE that guy. I’m gonna buy Remember Me without even being sure whether I would like it or not, just because it stars a normal-looking girl.

Fuck off, Mr. Generico McGruff. Fuck the fuck off already.

18. Deadly Sinner says:

“A little disappointing that the camera hacking is responsible for what looks very much like a third person point and click stealth sequence”

That sequence looks to be completely optional. The guy you’re protecting has a gun, so I imagine that if you don’t distract the guard with the stereo, the guy will just shoot his way out. As for the “point and click stealth sequence,” I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to run up there and shoot them all, sneak around and incapacitate them, or maybe use a different power to distract them.

19. Amstrad says:

No mention of the bit at 5:45 where what appears to be a co-op player on a tablet comes in to disable the helicopter and raise the bollards? There hasn’t been any indication before now of that sort of gameplay and I’d like to hear more about it.