Command & Conquer Has Generals From All Walks Of Life

By Alec Meer on June 11th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Should give you a general sense of what it's all about

The game formerly known as Generals 2, probably also known within internal EA circles as ‘please rescue the franchise after we repeatedly tried to murder it with really silly decisions’ but officially known as simply Command & Conquer has fully broken cover at last. In what way? Well, this week is E3. I’ll give you three guesses as to how an upcoming videogame might try to promote itself right now, and the first two don’t count.

IT’S A TRAILER OH MY GOD WHERE DO THEY GET THEIR IDEAS FROM

Not sure about the comedy ethnic stereotypes, but I suppose as long as every nation gets an equal beating with the lampooning stick it could get away with it. It does look proper C&Cy though, doesn’t it? After the dual gut-punches of the admirably experimental but ultimately miserable C&C4 and the awful FarmVille-with-Tiberium browser monstrosity Alliances, it’s good to see C&C getting itself back to basics.

And then, of course, taking said basics to a free-to-play, possibly multiplayer-only model. I remain open-minded on that front, but I’m glad they’re doing it with the less story-based Generals sub-franchise rather than the Tiberian setting. I’d quite like some more bokers, Kane-related cutscenes, ideally with all the pseudo-mystical aliens gubbins gotten rid of.

You can sign up for beta thingers here.

, , , .

1. PatrickSwayze says:

Maybe people will be able to accept this game for the satire it is this time, unlike that PC Gamer UK review which was all self righteous pomposity.

Yay for Generals, yay for free, lets just hope it isn’t a rip off!

• SavannaJeff says:

Link to the article?

• Flopper says:

God I loved the original Generals. Still my favorite RTS to this day. I never got on the Starcraft 1/2 bandwagon.

The Arab worker dialogue had to be my favorite in the game. CAN I HAVE SOME SHOES? lol

• Barnaby says:

I still find it bizarre that people have this opinion. Generals was by far the very worst in the series up to that point.

Having played since the original C&C I really want to see the franchise thrive, but have honestly given up all hope. They have made SO many poor decisions with the franchise. Once Westwood was gone it was all downhill from there imo.

• Grey Poupon says:

I’ve only truly liked the first two (second obviously being Red Alert, not Tiberian Sun) and Generals. I find it bizarre that people have liked the other ones. They’ve felt mediocre at best.

• bills6693 says:

I dunno, I really enjoyed generals too. More so than the other ones.

Opinion, away! – pretty apt here.

• gi_ty says:

SHALL I PUSH THE BUTTON?

Or better yet… For China!!

Seriously loved Generals still LAN it to this day with some chums. Some of the best unit voices since warcraft 2.

2. Screamer says:

Ah is see still F2P. NEXT!

• Doganpc says:

pretty much. Nobody wanted single player campaigns to meter their play time with, or an offline mode where they can just put the smack down on some Ai… nope, everybody wants to play against everybody. Can’t wait for the “more time than money” crowd to ruin this game too.

• Barnaby says:

Besides play the singleplayer, all we ever did on multiplayer was comp stomp against bots. Tiberian Sun, how I miss thee!

3. Vorphalack says:

”it’s good to see C&C getting itself back to basics.”

Lets not kid ourselves. They are following up a browser disaster with a FTP multiplayer only iteration that will probably delve into pay to win territory. Those aren’t the CnC basics I remember.

4. Rovac says:

It would be quite funny if the Generals have ingame dialogue where they keep insulting each other or just have specific response to an event which will be replied by the other general a la Dota 2

• Ringwraith says:

The generals did taunt you and generally ate the scenery in the General’s Challenge in Zero Hour, and it seems Dr. Thrax is back, although more restrained than before. :(

5. nebnebben says:

Please do not screw it up EA. Though I realize that that may be as hard as Rare making another good game

6. Koozer says:

“Not sure about the comedy ethnic stereotypes…”

Hey, this IS C&C we’re talking about here!

• Fanbuoy says:

So they keep telling us, but I’m not so sure.

• Doganpc says:

I always saw Red Alert as the comical C&C and Tiberium series as the continuity C&C… this trailer makes it feel like they rolled Red Alert’s vibe into C&C’s shell. I guess if you can’t do it right, do it funny… right?

7. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

It could be good, it could be bad, but I really don’t like the name. This reboot trend is getting on my nerves. It isn’t even a reboot of the “real” c&c. Generals was always a spinoff, even if it was a jolly good time.

8. newguy2012 says:

Its getting silly again. Thats what made me not get RA3…

9. Crosmando says:

EA YOU KILLED WESTWOOD, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET

10. Werthead says:

“it’s good to see C&C getting itself back to basics”

A single-player campaign strung together by amusing live-action cut scenes is what I recall as being C&C’s ‘basics’.

• LionsPhil says:

There really needs to be a ban on games journalists talking about serieses getting “back to basics” or their “roots” or “retro” or such without having played the original game in recent memory.

11. misterT0AST says:

I’m one of those people who don’t mind the Free to Play model, but I think it’s absolutely incompatible with RTSs. If it’s a shooter, a moba or a MMORPG, I don’t mind not being able to do everything immediately. But with a RTS, choice and strategy are the whole point of the game. Your playstile cannot be defined by your aim, your build or your gradual choices: you need to have the map on one side, the tech tree on the other, and be able to freely move around both outsmarting your opponent.
    Plus in a RTS playing against the computer actually makes sense, restrictions are always unbearable in single player.
    I would have actually played Age of Empires online if I didn’t have to register an account, be forced to play a silly tutorial, having this dumb “persistent city” going on, and having parts of the tech tree locked.
    I just want to jump in, play a game and leave.
    You can monetize my Game of Life, or even Monopoly, but you can’t mess around with Chess.

12. Sp4rkR4t says:

I’m sorry but no.

Yes we really need another C&C style multiplayer focused RTS around these days but if it’s an EA product it can go get bent.

13. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Command & Conquer has fully broken cover at last

No, that would be appropriate for a FPS, or one of those ubiquitous covershoots. This is an RTS, so the appropriate phrase would be "emerge from the Fog of War".

14. Ender7 says:

Sigh, I only cared about the awesome singleplayer campaigns, I have no interest in this travesty.

15. Corrupt_Tiki says:

If they could just stop molesting my once favourite game series, that’d be just great.

There is a very good reason I still play Red Alert 2.