Gambon! The Elder Scrolls Goes Online Next Spring

By Alec Meer on June 11th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

John Hurt (maybe) earlier, Michael Gambon now… It’s only a matter of time before we get Derek Jacobi narrating a trailer for FIFA 2014, or Simon Callow talking about Call of Duty. Gammbers, the Singing Detective and Dumbledore himself, is here today to talk to us about The Elder Scrolls Online, Bethesda’s MMO adaptation of their until now distintively singleplayer Tamriel-set RPGs.

He sounds ever so slightly drunk, but I can’t begrudge him that – I wouldn’t mind being ever so slightly drunk right now. His slightly squiffy tones are accompanied by footage of assorted monster-twatting and environment ogling, and the news that TESO is due to arrive on PC and the Neo-Toyboxes next Spring. Take it away, Dumbledore:*

They’re trying hard to make it look trad. Elder Scrollsy, I note.

*Michael Gambon is one of Britain’s most beloved and talented character actors, and reducing his accomplishments to playing a now-dead wizard a few times is NOT RIGHT. I’ve been very bad.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. DrScuttles says:

Wasn’t Dumbledoor also the titular Layer Cake in the Daniel Craig film where he fought Chief O’Brien to Duran Duran?

• SominiTheCommenter says:

You take shit.
      Then you take more shit.
      You rise, and then, when you are up in the rarefied air you don’t even remember what shit smells like.

Paraphrasing.

• Phendron says:

Doesn’t the next scene show him with a hole in his head?

2. RedViv says:

Guess it was time they got their gamb on.

3. db1331 says:

Have they said whether or not this is going to be F2P yet?

• Iceman346 says:

No official word as far as I know. I personally hope that it will be pay 2 play. I dislike most f2p systems and much prefer to fork over my 12-15 Euros per month to get the full experience.

• Asherie says:

Same here. Even if the item mall/shop whatever doesn’t sell gamebreaking imbalanced stuff in terms of PvP, I still dislike that what I worked hard for in-game can be bought for £6, or however much. Sure in World of Warcraft people can buy gold from gold farmers, then buy -some- gear (most good gear costs tokens, not money, which can’t be traded) but on the whole, if someone is riding around on a rare drop mount, they got the thing themselves, and it’s something to be proud of (in a no-life sort of way haha).

4. P4p3Rc1iP says:

Well, this looks rather generic…

Has anyone actually played it yet? From the footage I’ve seen so far it looks kinda boring and not very Elder Scrolls

• Flopper says:

Couldn’t be less excited for this. And I started playing TES on Daggerfall. This just looks like a cash in on the MMO market. Also with more exciting MMOs like Wildstar coming out in 2013 I doubt I’ll even play this.

5. leah says:

just as Emily implied I’m taken by surprise that any one able to make $5602 in 4 weeks on the computer. have you seen this web site,,,
    Dub50.cℴm

6. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

It’s only a matter of time before we get Derek Jacobi narrating a trailer for FIFA 2014…

You joke, but Peter Ustinov’s performance narrating the FIA’s 1987 Formula 1 highlights video is an absolute classic.

• Pockets says:

Oh my word. I thought that was a joke, but looking it up and…

… Blimey.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

His best bit, before the Hungarian race, is unfortunately cut off on that playlist. Something like, “And so, in a somewhat tardy salute to Glasnost, the Formula One circus returns for its second visit to Hungary…”

It’s particularly brilliant because he can pronounce all the non-Anglophone drivers’ names perfectly – they are, usually (and let’s be honest not entirely unreasonably) butchered by Anglophone sports commentators.

7. .backslash says:

I wonder, how do people in console MMOs communicate? Scrolling through an on-screen keyboard with the controller seems like the most clunky thing ever and using primarily voice chat would be really weird and invasive, both when the lithe elf sorceress sounds like a 40 year old man with a thick Nordic accent, or when she does indeed sound like a girl and gets harassed into quitting within hours of staring the game.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Didn’t WoW have a voice changer that could make you sound like a troll? Or did I dream that?

• tengokujin says:

::koffkoffFFXIkoffkoffkoff::
      Lots of Japanese-style auto-complete?

8. Continuity says:

Well, i’m the first to say I don’t want an MMO. But if they make a game that looks like Skyrim but has the mechanics absolutely gutted…. well then it might actually be worth playing. Bethesda have made many good sandboxes, maybe the best, but they’ve never made a good game.

9. Pockets says:

I think at this point, the only way I’d be interested in this game is if they replace it all with Michael Gambon narrating shopping lists. The MMO aspect would be that people could share their shopping lists. DLC would be Tim Gudgin from the football results as an alternate voiceover.

10. Liudeius says:

I’ve actually been dreading this.
    They are going to eviscerate the lore. (Though I suppose they’ve probably already done that a few times.)
    We might not see another Scrolls game from Mojang for even longer than the gaps between Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim.

And for what? An MMO, which immediately situates it as something designed to lessen your enjoyment (since MMOs need to be long).

I’ll look into it on release, but I doubt I’ll pay for it.

11. Hmm-Hmm. says:

It’s a good thing there seems to be more recognition of the worth of good voice acting and sound direction/design.

On the other hand, it seems such a waste to use such a wonderful voice on such tripe. And probably just as another means to create hype so people overlook the flaws of the game in question.

• Porkolt says:

I’m actually rather baffled at everyone’s surprised reaction to this. You all seem to be forgetting that Patrick Stewart (who, like John Hurt, was also in I, Claudius, I might add) did the voice of Uriel Septim in Oblivion. So getting Shakespearean actors in on doing voice-overs for games isn’t exactly a new development. Not for Elder Scrolls, anyway.

12. dicenslice says:

I wonder if any of the work George Zeits did will make it into the final version of the game.

13. bstard says:

Another donation to the -infamously passed future tensed- pile of ‘Games That Will Failed’.

14. BenAttenborough says:

You thought Gambon sounded slightly drunk? Check out this classic from Orson Welles trying to sell Champagne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvxwf1jxdaM