Mel Of A Time: Avalanche’s Mad Max Open World Game

By Alec Meer on June 11th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

The makers of sandbox destruction classic Just Cause 2 + the quintessential movie wasteland setting? Yes please! Er, just one thing… Could you maybe not involve World’s Worst Human BeingTM Mel Gibson? It’d kind of put a downer on things.

Fortunately, Warner make no mention of Mr Sugar Tits in their blurb about the game they’re calling simply Mad Max, and it’s also unclear as yet whether this relates to the original Max Max / Road Warrior films, or the upcoming, Bane-starring reboot called Fury Road.

Never mind, let’s have a CGI trailer and think about what Fallout With Cars might be like, eh?

“Scheduled for release in 2014, Mad Max will deliver dynamic, open-world gameplay where gamers fight to stay alive in The Wasteland, using brutal on-ground and vehicular combat against vicious gangs of bandits. Players are challenged with treacherous missions as they scavenge the dangerous landscape for supplies to build the ultimate combat vehicle.”

Out on PC, the dusty old toyboxes, the expensive new toybox and the outrageously expensive new toybox*. Tina Turner DLC is TBC.

* Hilariously, a man went apeshit at us on Twitter the other day because he felt personally offended by our long-running consoles/toyboxes joke. He’s the real Mad Max here.

, , , , .

1. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Broadmeadows filmset DLC please.
    Interestingly enough long gone Australian dev Ratbag (they were responsible for Powerslide) was working on a Mad Max alike game once http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR_iloTLjHk shame it never saw the light of day.

• flaillomanz says:

I have Powerslide. And my computer can’t even read the goddamn disk.
      It made me sad, despite knowing nothing about it, since the manual went walkabout years ago and I never got to read it.
      I just get a perverse thrill in owning the actual disk.
      (By the way, anyone heard of a game called “Bedlam”? Same problem there. And since the cover art is brown sludge, I have no idea what it is.)

• Kefren says:

Bedlam was quite a fun isometric shooter with lots of explosions. Prime candidate for GOG. http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/bedlam

• atticus says:

Powerslide is available from gog.com for $5,99 now, if you’re interested in trying it out.

Played the hell out of it back in ’99 while listening to eurodance-tracks sped up by 30% with a winamp-plugin.

Those were the days…

• perfectheat says:

You have Ravaged: https://www.2dawn.com/ravaged/media Any connection?

RedViv says:

What with cars and such, it seems that they have at least gotten beyond Thunderdome.

• F3ck says:

…time to get this show on the road, warrior.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

“The last of the V8 Interceptors… a piece of history! , Would’ve been a shame to blow it up.”
      (Mad Max II)

will not be a line in this game then, it will be the most common car around!

3. F3ck says:

Wanna drive a car in Fallout?
    Here:

4. SominiTheCommenter says:

Mark Morgan for the soundtrack please!

5. int says:

To me, Australia is TISM, Kath & Kim and Mad Max.

6. Danda says:

“Er, just one thing… Could you maybe not involve World’s Worst Human BeingTM Mel Gibson? It’d kind of put a downer on things.”

No, you are wrong. I do want Mel Gibson to be involved. I don’t care if he’s crazy because he IS Mad Max. I bet you still watch Tom Cruise movies, and he may be even crazier.

• GallonOfAlan says:

Gibson is a racist, anti-semitic, sexist religious nut. He can fuck off.

• dmoe says:

And?

• MobileAssaultDuck says:

Well, when you live in a modern society attempting to improve, you try to punish those members of the society who exhibit antisocial behaviour, such as racism, nationalism, religious extremism, etc.

As Mel Gibson has proven himself a subhuman, reasonable people are supposed to attempt to exclude him from the group due to his antisocial behaviour.

The only way our society can socially evolve is by throwing the subhumans off the mountain.

• botty says:

Well, responding to intolerance using intolerance is not necessarily the wisest idea.

• MobileAssaultDuck says:

I disagree.

People are allowed to believe and say whatever they want. They are also allowed to be marginalized and ridiculed because of it.

• roryok says:

Great quote, but who decides what a subhuman is? And when we run out of subhumans and the public has a taste for throwing people off mountains, what then? Then we begin to persecute marginalised groups, deciding them to be subhuman. And we become the subhumans ourselves. That path is one of darkness.

Throwing assholes off mountains, on the other hand – I think we can make that work

• MobileAssaultDuck says:

I use the term asshole and subhuman interchangeably.

To me being subhuman is entirely a behavioural state.

Subhumans are the assholes who hold beliefs that regress our society and pull us to the past. Ones who attempt to conserve as opposed to progressing. Those who slow us down because of their emotional connection to their culture, nation, race, religion, etc.

Transhumans are their opposite, the ones higher up the mountain trying to drag the rest up with them.

Regular humans are everything in between.

And the Posthuman is the top of the mountain we’re trying to get to.

• roryok says:

still sounds a bit iffy, man

• riverman says:

how is this even debatable? mel gibson’s inclusion = money in mel gibson’s pocket. if anything, a hyperbolic parody of gibson would ridicule him, keep your money from his pockets, and likely piss him off all at once.

• vondas says:

Subhumans, eh? Charming. I wonder if you support eugenics too? Then again, you are already advocating a form of ideological eugenics and using terms like “subhuman”, so it won’t be a huge jump.

Nationalism is hardly antisocial – it is a very much social activity. Internationalism may be in some of its extreme manifestations, though.

“Much like how two negatives equal a positive, being intolerant to the intolerant is a tolerant act.”

Please don’t do this to words. At least say that it is “progressive” or something. But intolerance is intolerance – what you’re trying to say here, I think, is that intolerance is okay.

“And the Posthuman is the top of the mountain we’re trying to get to.”

Don’t speak for the rest of us. Personally I think it is enough of a struggle to be human, and ideas such as yours drag us down from that pinnacle, and have thrown local civilisation down into the abyss before.

• Reapy says:

And I’ll always love braveheart.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

We’ll get Steve Blum to voice him instead. It’ll be like that Robin Hood movie with Kevin Costner.

• Peon says:

So is 75% of people who play online games. Your point being?

• The Random One says:

I’m not paying assholes to play online games with me, that’s the point!

• Advanced Assault Hippo says:

I’d love Mel Gibson to be heavily involved, just to piss off those that get easily outraged. ;)

• MarcP says:

You and me both.

Can’t say I give a damn about what movie stars do when not on screen, anyway. It’s asinine to care about the actor more than the character.

• GallonOfAlan says:

I don’t care if he’s involved or not. He’s still a twat.

• PopeRatzo says:

No, you are wrong. I do want Mel Gibson to be involved.

I understand Mel’s very popular among some very old residents of Argentina.

Anthile says:

They chose the convicted rapist Mike Tyson over Mel Gibson for The Hangover. His career is post-apocalyptic right now.

• honky mcgee says:

And they chose to spare Barabbas (a murderer) and crucify Jesus. See a pattern here?

• honky mcgee says:

And by ‘they’ I mean the Lannisters of course.

On the topic of Jewry, did you know Natalie Portman is a member of the tribe? I almost shpayen my frishtik when I read this.

• Rovac says:

I have no idea why Mel Gibson is hated so much. I probably hate him too if I know more about it but the guy is one of my favorite actor back when I’m still a kid and he’s good at what he do.

So, I do want him to voice acted this one

• Leb says:

he made a movie about the life (and death) of Jesus Christ. So of course everyone who is Roman, speaks latin, has ever rode in a chariot, fought with a Gladius, or is Jewish hates him.

I’m not even joking that’s the worst part.

• roryok says:

It’s more the whole racism, sexism and domestic-violence thing that we have a problem with than any of his movies.

• Chris D says:

That’s not the reason. Stuff like this is

• dmoe says:

People should stop acting surprised when someone says anything they are allowed to in the privacy of their own home.

Bill Burr has the best take on it:

• Leb says:

did he win an Oscar for that performance?

• Nick says:

and yet “they” don’t hate the people who made the greatest story ever told.. or every christian ever, so maybe, JUST MAYBE, its not because he made a film about Jesus, but the content of the film and his actions outside of it.

• newguy2012 says:

Hope they at least get his likeness and a decent impersonator to voice him, he is after all the face of mad max.

Gap Gen says:

I hear that when you get out of your car if you’ve drunk enough in-game alcohol you get some extra anti-Semitic conversation options.

8. Baltech says:

Judging by the movies, this is going to be the brownest, dreariest game ever.

Surlywombat says:

They are more likely to be trying to tie it to Mad Max Thunder Road are they not? So Tom Hardy.

10. wrshamilton says:

Fallout 2 had a car! They forgot to program it to work though.

lowprices says:

Look, pal, sometimes cars stop working. Or disappear. Or explode for no reason, killing that farmer’s son you were forced to marry. That’s just how cars work.

• bstard says:

Another thruth, you read it here 1st, on RPS!

Its prolly plagiarism, but thats beside the point ;)

lowprices says:

How very dare you sir? These are my own person observations based on my experience with the car.

(Wait for it…)

AND IN THE GAME.

golem09 says:

I actually thought it was a Fallout 4 announcement. Was pretty disappointed when that logo showed.

12. mrmalodor says:

This game is a console exclusive.

• F3ck says:

“Update: Warner Bros. has released additional info on Avalanche’s Mad Max game, confirming that it will also be on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3 and PC in addition to PS4.”

• Screamer says:

Also we refer to said thingy as “computer in a box”, “toy computer” or just “toy box”.

Anthile says:

I’m really excited to see if Avalanche can go beyond thunderdome. There, I did it again.

14. PopeRatzo says:

I hope it’s not Rage.

15. roryok says:

If I remember right, the devs of Interstate 76 wanted to make a Mad Max game but couldn’t get the rights. I doubt it’ll be as good as that though

• Jekhar says:

According to this guy, the original Carmageddon started out as a Mad Max game. That didn’t work out somehow and it became a Death Race 2000 game. When that license fell through, too, they just decided to make their own game and ship it. And all was good. ;-)

16. FleeingNevada says:

Wait, people are still complaining about Mel Gibson? Really? I mean really really? Isn’t that, you know, getting old?

I for one hope he would return as Mad Max, it’s his iconic role after all.

• Chris D says:

Generally how it works is that people don’t complain about one thing for a set period and then forget about it. It’s possible to go quite long periods without even thinking about Mel Gibson. It’s just that when they are reminded of something they recall the last opinion they held on that subject. For example, “Mel Gibson? I remember him. He’s a twat.”

• FleeingNevada says:

I guess, it’s just ridiculous to me. If an actors personal life affects the way that you watch their work, then people should at least be consistent with it – hate on everyone. It’ll be difficult to find an actor working today that doesn’t have crap in their private lives that they’ve done.

Besides, the majority of the stuff that people think they know of Gibson was proved to be nothing more than hearsay and lies – at least as far as the thing with the Russian ex-wife goes.

• Chris D says:

Saying essentially “Mel Gibson is not as bad as you think and anyway everyone is that bad” is certainly a bold debating strategy.

My position is that everyone is innocent until proven guilty and everyone gets a chance to redeem themselves bit if someone acts like a dickhead it’s entirely reasonable to call them a dickhead and Gibson is not a first time offender in that regard.

• riverman says:

I mean, you can read mel’s public apology, but that’s probably just unsubstantiated left wing communist bullshit, right?

you do realize that gibson doing VA for this game means that you are financially supporting a racist douche bag by buying it, right?

[cue poe's law]

would you endorse paying hitler to VA himself in a WW2 game?

• FleeingNevada says:

You’re actually going to compare one mans drunken tirade, something he has paid for as far as society should be concerned, to Hitler?

Really? Really really?

17. theirongiant says:

Say what you like about Mel Gibson but the sonovabitch knows story structure

18. GAmbrose says:

Mad mel is still good in movies, watch ‘How I spent my summer vacation’ (directed by a someone of the Jewish faith) – it’s pretty good.

• tnzk says:

He always has been good, he just doesn’t know when to keep his mouth shut. He’s more or less always been like that though, just watch all his movies.

19. MobileAssaultDuck says:

Mad Max is where I get most of my wardrobe ideas.

20. LennyLeonardo says:

“I sure hope that this game about a violent right wing lunatic in a souped-up cockmobile doesn’t feature the voice or likeness of Mel Gibson!”

Gurh, just being flippant. I hope they don’t use Mel.

21. tnzk says:

No really guys, Mel Gibson rocks, sorry you have to hear it. Unless you really want Sam Worthington on this one.

22. pupsikaso says:

Why is Mel Gibson the World’s Worst Human BeingTM ?

23. Danny says:

I love Mel Gibson, and I vastly prefer his lousy personal beliefs over all the puppets that walk around in Hollywood with their plastic smiles and statements that are coming straight from the studio suits.

Besides that I love his direction skills and the few movies he created are pretty decent in my book.

• roryok says:

So you think racism is ok then?

• MobileAssaultDuck says:

I’ll take a bad person trying to fake that they’re a good person over a subhuman just being a subhuman.

At least the person faking it realizes they’re a bad person and is trying to mitigate that.

Also, eventually, that bad person faking it starts to become a better human being.

I should know, the human being I was between the ages of 13 and 25 deserves to have his teeth kicked in on a daily basis. Only over the last 5 years have I evolved beyond being a total subhuman.

Now I’m about 15% good person and 85% subhuman.

24. Stevostin says:

“Fallout With Cars ”
    And with no Ammo, heating, food, etc. It’s nothing like Fallout.

25. Stevostin says:

Please please please make it FPV not TPV and I am in heaven.

26. Shadowcat says:

I sense Mel content in this thread.

27. Laurentius says:

“Could you maybe not involve World’s Worst Human BeingTM Mel Gibson? It’d kind of put a downer on things.”

I am a bit confused on this statement, so you do know that Mel Gibson is not actually a Mad Max, he is just an actor who played that character. I mean, did you know that he is a twat in 1979 when this movie came out and suggested that his role should be edited out and especially not given role in another two movies? Well I speak only from my experiences but I just can commander myself to stop liking movies ( or any other types of things like books, music etc ) because people who made or collaborate in making them turn out to be twats or maybe even they were twats thirty years later. I mean I can totally relate to people who didn’t like Mad Max movies in the first place but this…vastly confusing.

28. RProxyOnly says:

Worst person in the world?.. REALLY?… with all the atrocities being committed, including by governments, and someone who TALKS, SAYS SOMETHING, is worse than all of those people?

WORST ARTICLE IN THE WORLD!! WORST WRITER IN THE WORLD!!

Grow a valid opinion.

• F3ck says:

This is RPS (a.k.a. Righteous, Persecutory and Sanctimonious) where the worst thing you can do is be sexist, followed by exhibiting any racism.

You need to understand that many of these guys are just getting into their early 30′s and feel a lot of guilt for the first decade of their adulthood and now are coming to the rescue…or maybe they were just raised by the granola-gang (a.k.a. the Berkley-bunch) and have been so sheltered that a racist/sexist comment really is the worst thing they can think of.

But this only applies to their narrow purview; do not mistake this for liberal ideology.

• sinister agent says:

Jesus fucking christ, do you people need to recalibrate your hyperbole detectors. Maybe get your whole humour kit tested for faults while you’re at it, just to be sure.

• vondas says:

I’m a bit conflicted here. I don’t like hyperbole and I don’t like overreactions to hyperbole. It’d be nice if we could get rid of one without the other – and amusingly I think there are some parallels between this and the self-justifications provided by one of the Gibophobes earlier.

29. wodin says:

I think this website is getting a touch confused..it’s we love PC as in Personal Computer..not Political Correctness..

I’m all for Mel being involved.

BTW..is this an Multiplayer game or single player?

• mrmalodor says:

Why would you want that douche to be involved?

• wodin says:

erm..maybe because he has some great artistic vision for starters..did you watch The Passion or Apocalypto? Also just to wind up all the people who have jumped on the moralistic bandwagon thats become uber trendy these days. There are way worse people than him..

• Beelzebud says:

The person with the artistic vision to create Mad Max was not Mel Gibsion, it was George Miller.

Mel Gibson flat out refused to participate in the new Mad Max movie, so I’d say his artistic vision for the series is nil. There is no reason for him to appear in this game. Outside of acting in it, Gibson has nothing to do with the creation of the series.

• vondas says:

Eh, he’s still pretty iconic, so it’s not like there aren’t valid arguments Pro.

30. Tei says:

I fucking love APB, and about half this new gen of games look like copying APB, so I am very happy.

I say, get on my car!, I am not a good driver, but I can promise you we will have fun! :D

31. immerc says:

If it’s anything like Interstate ’76 I’m interested.

I want to be able to scavenge weapons and parts from other vehicles and upgrade my car while fighting for survival.

32. Matzerath says:

If the V8 Interceptor is in this, then the game is set pre-Road Warrior, during his time wandering the wasteland. Neato.

33. jonahcutter says:

It’s like a dream from childhood made real.

I do hope it’s not just racing around and bang bang boom for the sake of bang bang boom. It better be a dominant scavenging/survival mechanic that actually drives all the vehicle and physical fisticuffs, or it’s not Mad Max.

Mad Max is not much for vehicles shooting each other with mounted guns. It’s hardly that at all. It’s cars outracing each other and pounding into each other, with (american)football-padded lunatics shooting crossbows at each other while jumping from vehicle to vehicle (at times falling under the wheels in pleasingly violent ways). There were few mounted weapons on the vehicles. And they were of the weirder variety. Mounted dart guns and other such post-apocalyptic fun. No rockets. No machine guns.

It’s low-tech, often melee combat. With vehicles used as both platforms to fight from, and as actual weapons themselves.

There’s a lot to hope for, for them to really get a good Mad Max vibe. It could very easily drift into a Mad Max skin over a vehicular gun and rocket game.

tumbleworld says:

So, we’re talking GTA 50, by the looks of it. Only with fewer fixed roads and more dust.

Hey, maybe they could get Gary Busey involved. He’s at least as bugshit crazy as ol’ Gibbon.