Piracy Is On Ubisoft’s E3 Agenda: Black Flag

By Jim Rossignol on June 11th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Ah, that joke is so old now. Anyway: Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is all piratey! That means boats and leaping about on tropical islands, which you can see happening the first gameplay footage from E3, below. I’m sure I’d be at least 70% more upbeat about this if I wasn’t having to suppress my general cynicism towards this series of games.

Gameplay:

That camp takedown at 3:00 is pretty impressive, I suppose.

E3 footage montage trailer thing:

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Leosiegfried says:

Loved the technical Difficulties at the end always make me chuckle Did they overheat?

• Spidy09 says:

Black LAG!?

• fish99 says:

Wasn’t lag, you could see the people on stage still moving with the screen behind them frozen. It looked more like overheating, but then it’s probably not running on PS4 silicon anyway, it was probably on PC. Probably just some fan connector fell out.

2. MeestaNob says:

I haven’t played AC3 yet, however I really enjoy these games. That said, I don’t get them until they are considerably cheaper, which makes their repetitive nature and unresolved story much easier to put up with.

• Jekhar says:

I almost had to force myself to finish Brotherhood. Had it lying around unfinished for about six months, playing it in short bursts. Currently i’m not sure if to get Revelations at all. AC3 was always out of the question for me. And i don’t bought them until they were dirt cheap, like you. Mostly because of their dlc bullshit.

• Fanbuoy says:

Unless you care about the conclusion to Ezio’s story or are interested in Constantinople/Istanbul, Revelations is skippable. It doesn’t add much, but what it does add is either unnecessary or annoying. AC3 adds some new good stuff, but features a worse protagonist than most games.

• Jekhar says:

Story conclusion would be my only reason to get it. I suspect the modern day storyline ends in another cliffhanger anyway, right? But i don’t think i’ll ever get AC3, i had my fair share of AC-type gameplay.

• mouton says:

Worse protagonist? Hooo boy

Anyway. I am in it for music, sightseeing and, in case of AssBro, playing the game in italian.

• Turkey says:

I love the very loose historical settings that these games have, cause you don’t really see stuff like that too much in videogames. But I hate the sci-fi lore so much. I wish they’d just let each game’s scenario stand on its own.

3. BenAttenborough says:

I really enjoy AC2, being able to run around Florence and Venice was great and almost made up for the lack of decent gameplay and quests. Not sure how this could translate to boats though. Has there ever been a good boat based combat FPS / RPG? I’ve never played AC3 as I was put off by the reviews.

4. Freud says:

I have only played one game in the series (Brotherhood) and I enjoyed it but at the same time I don’t have any desire to play the other games in the series. I did the climbing, stabbing, collecting, facepalming at the basic concept and so on. I haven’t seen anything in trailers for the sequels that would pull me back in.

• MajorManiac says:

I recommend AC2 as it has the best cities to run around in. Though I’ve only played the first 3 games.

• Fanbuoy says:

This holds. AC2 is my favorite by far. I miss having the assassin padawans, but the cities are terrific.

5. MajorManiac says:

News Voice – “This just in. Ubisoft are planning to make millions with Piracy.”

6. Gap Gen says:

Again, I love that a white hoodie is a universal disguise no matter the time period. Also the lack of horrific injuries from flying splinters and cannonballs is pretty impressive.

7. dangel says:

AC3 was borked in these ways:

- engine lacked optimisation early on (pre-patching) and suffered in SLI
    - they forgot that I wanted to be an assassin and kill people
    - the setting was pretty dull – no offence, but ‘merican history isn’t that interested compared to the previous locations
    - tedium of the er, ‘managing’ the estate crap – it added nothing to game
    - lead character was a BLOCK OF WOOD that I wanted to die. Completely lacked charisma, character etc.

I’m a massive AC fan and I can understand them wanted to freshen it up but the lost the plot (ha) with the core of the game a bit for me in that one – AC2 (and sub updates) was much better by comparison (aside from the stupid tower defence bit).

I hope they’re doing it right this time round because i’m all for a bit of free-world-murdering stuff. I like stabbing things.

That said, the ship to ship combat stuff was loads of fun. hurrah!

• Iskariot says:

I think american history is interesting enough, but it is the architecture of the period that is incredibly boring compared to locations like Damascus, Acre, Venice, Florence, Constantinople etc.
      That, of course, is nobody’s fault. It is what it is.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah, American history is far from boring, in my opinion. Also, I thought the frontier more than made up for the less interesting cities. Also running with muskets. Look hither:

• dangel says:

Ubi chose the period and location..

8. Pirate says:

It’s sad how this franchise got put in the same bin as CoD and similar ‘yearly’ crap.
    No wonder it’s creator quit Ubisoft twice.
    I hold 0 expectations for this one.
    Having been a huge fan of the early games in the series and a being huge fan of pirate games in general I’m almost 100 % sure this is gonna be crap.
    It’s gonna be a bad AC game (simply more of the same as before) with either a few scripted naval battles or a shit ton of tedious and repetitive ones that you can’t skip (not to mention absolutely disjointed from what real naval battles looked like).

9. riverman says:

good to know they had such powerful boat engines with thrust vectoring back in the 18th century.

*yawn*

• Sian says:

Well, I for one wouldn’t enjoy realistic sailing in a game. I expect games to be better than reality for entertainment purposes, unless I’m playing a simulator of sorts.

10. bills6693 says:

I want to play the part of an officer in the Royal Navy fighting the pirates and bringing order and justice to the waters and islands of the Caribbean. Not as a pirate out to kill and pillage for greedy personal gain.

Filth.

On a serious note, I have no (positive) expectations for this game and am pretty sure I won’t be buying this. The series just takes itself too seriously for me. I like serious in my games, sure – but only when it is all serious. Not a ‘serious’ story that is absurd, and with completely artificial and unrealistic game-play that doesn’t even purport to reflect reality.

11. Apocalypse says:

To early for me, the wounds need first to heal.
    After reading the headline I was already again in shitstorm and boycott mode. Poor Ubisoft.