Bohemia Have Decided To Take On Mars

By Jim Rossignol on June 12th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

The Czech simulationists are off to the red planet. Their next “Take On” game will be Take On Mars, which puts you in the position of remote Mars explorer-person, “allowing you to control the various, fully simulated mobile Rovers and stationary Landers. With this scientific arsenal at your disposal, you will work your way through the numerous Science Missions in each location, unlocking the secrets of Mars’ distant past.” What? A game developer knows the secrets of Mars’ distant past? What strange conspiracy is this?

More details below.

Here’s the trailer:

Oh, sorry, here’s the trailer:

The game will cost $13 and arrives later this year.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. sabasNL says:

I thought this was a joke at first lol

Well, I’m interested. Let’s see what Bohemia can do this time…

2. YogSo says:

Speaking of jokes, that one never gets old, right? :D

phuzz says:

It is what I hear in my head every time I read the name of this game (or indeed Take On Me//// I mean Helicopters).

3. plsgodontvisitheforums_ says:

At least you can’t get into too much trouble spying on an empty red dustball of a planet, just stay away from any NASA documents that say classified on the front

Anthile says:

What’s with all the games and films set on Mars lately? Let’s just hope it doesn’t become the new zombies.

• Liudeius says:

More games should be set on Duna.

• InnerPartisan says:

Not on Eve, though. Eve’s an asshole of a planet!

• Liudeius says:

Fortunately some of us are so incompetent that we haven’t even gotten to Eve to start what is DEFINITELY a colony, NOT a stranded and abandoned group of outcasts.

• InnerPartisan says:

Oh, I’m with you! It’s just like I always say:

When the rescue mission for the rescue mission fails – you got yourself a colony!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Yeah, this “Mars” is a total Duna ripoff.

• Jason Moyer says:

Yeah, really. I mean, they could use literally any body in the solar system for a game like this except for Europa.

5. Jason Moyer says:

I’m fairly certain they’ll find a way to mess up the AI pathfinding (which has somehow gotten worse with each of their games), but I’m still looking forward to this.

• JohnAJ says:

I think the AI has improved. If you compare the original Operation Flashpoint and Arma 3 (or even Arma 1 and 3) you can’t say that the AI has got worse.

• Jason Moyer says:

I read an Arma 3 bug report stating that the AI can apparently actually cross bridges in the current dev build, so I guess that’s something. I don’t remember the AI being nearly as bad at following roads in OFP and Arma as they are in Arma 2 though.

6. Cray_3 says:

Great, a sim that lets us draw a ‘Mars Manhood’ of our very own. It’s got to be worth $13 just to do that.

7. mrmalodor says:

Bohemia, please remember to take OFF the bugs this time.

8. The white guar says:

I’m really not interested in this game, I just read the article to check for the mandatory a-ha reference/pun.
    RPS never lets you down :D

9. MeestaNob says:

So, if you play the music clip with the teaser muted it works phenomenally well, even hitting the title reveal right at the end of the first chorus.

PRE-ORDER CONFIRMED!

• YogSo says:

If you look up Man Raised by Puffins‘s comment on the old RPS post I linked above, you’ll see it’s not the firt time that “coincidence” has happened… :)

10. Cytrom says:

I hope they don’t dumb it dow with simple WASD controls and cheap third person view mode. I want to write a separete script for every movement the bot makes for every moving component it has, and control it through staticky low res B/W first person camera view with a 4 minute input lag.

On a second thought, they should just dumb it down, and use some creativity… because driving those things in the middle of martian nowhere sounds more boring than mass effect 1 planet exploration.

11. Thunder says:

Is it just me or did someone else also instantly thought:

“LETS PORT IT TO ARMA TO DRIVE TANKS ON MARS”?

• CMDBob says:

I was thinking that exact same thought. It’d be pretty awesome, methinks.

distantlurker says:

Beagle 2 is actually in the video? I bet that’s a short level….

13. nimzy says:

Now this should be interesting — as long as they don’t forget the science.

14. InnerPartisan says:

So. Mars. I’ve heard that it is, in fact, cold as hell.

• Lt. Leslie says:

Yeah, it’s cold as hell but it’s not like you’re not gonna raise a kid there.

I hope it won’t take a long long time till this game touches down.

• Canadave says:

Ugh, the jokes in these comments are a maddening bore. I must’ve seen them ten times or more.

15. bstard says:

$13 to shatter your dreams of the mysterious planet Mars. 13 to discover it’s just a pile of dust of the boring kind. What a lot of crap. This 13 could finally end my childhood after 40 years.

16. fish99 says:

I tried it but it’s really laggy. Seems to take 20 minutes for the vehicles to respond to my inputs.

17. roryok says:

Get your ass to mars.
    Get your ass to mars.
    Get your ass to mars.
    Get your ass to mars.

18. SighmanSays says:

MARS IS FLAT
    CONFIRMED
    CONFIRMED

Hodge says:

This is going to be the saddest game ever.

• Cytrom says:

Sums it up nicely.

It’d be nice to go, where no man has gone before, but that feeling would probably fade away pretty quickly when you realise that you are in an endless desert with 0 water, food, air, a temeperature way below 0 degree, and constant deadly radiation due to a lack of magnetosphere. Even if all of those weren’t an issue, you’d die of boredom.

At least the moon is fun to jump around in the low gravity.

• TechnicalBen says:

You know I just knew the location of that link before looking/clicking. It’s so obvious. Lol…

20. Contrafibularity says:

Yes please, more of this sciencey exploration thing please.

21. edwardoka says:

Maybe the next thing in Bohemia’s Take On series could be Take On The Task Of Fixing The Utterly Broken AI On Carrier Command With A View To Making It Not Literally Unplayable.

Gap Gen says:

Beagle 2ed!

But yeah this looks ace. And yes absolutely port ArmA to Mars.

23. drinniol says:

X-Plane has had a simulated Mars for years, though the latest version ditched it. It has 1% atmosphere density but 1/3 gravity (roughly) which meant the best designs were rocket-powered gliders. There’s a typically Austin Meyer account of it hereabouts;

Rufust Firefly says:

I learned a lot about the secret past of mars in Waking Mars, which came out last year.

Fling plants, fly around on a jet pack, harvest seeds. Great game.

25. Nuclear Pony says:

I’m actually more interested in what the modders could do if they managed to share content between this and Arma or TO : Helicopters. Just imagine flying an Mi24 filled with rockets. ON MARS.