Mooning Over Lune’s Free Alpha

By Alec Meer on June 12th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Finding a moment for quiet reflection during the barrage of noisome, steroidal E3 ‘news’ is important for RPS reader and writer alike. I chose to do with it Sergey Mohov’s Lune, a moon-controlling videogame which prompted Young Master Grayson to bust out assorted superlatives back in April, and which has now released a free alpha.

Truth be told I’m too ruined by four weeks of only sleeping two to three hours a night – thanks, baby – to have an even partial understanding of what I’m doing, but the theory is that you alter the placement and proximity of the moon in order to affect the environment and create new throughfares for the playable character. In fact, I was defeated by the first puzzle, which seemed to involve some manner of rock-pushing and/or rock-climbing, but my character firmly refused to push or climb. I don’t know, I need to move on to more ‘news’ now anyway, so you’ll have to work it out for me and then tell me how stupid I am.

Even if I’m in the wrong state of mind to work out the practice, I certainly dig the concept – the simultaneous movement of your character and repositioning of the celestial body she controls, the two of them becoming a sort of tag-team puzzle due like the Gobliiins series, except with huge pieces of galactic rock and changing tides rather than jabbering French things with big noses.

Here’s the trailer we posted last time, but really you should give this pretty, ethereal thing a try in your browser here.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Gentlemoth says:

Did someone say… Moon Over June?

amateurviking says:

‘Ask me about Lune’

• Gnoupi says:

It shone, pale as bone
      as I stood there alone.
      And I thought to myself how the moon…

3. Shuck says:

Well, I can’t figure it out either. The cursor turns into chopsticks(?) – am I supposed to pick something up? Slide something? Which end of the cursor is the active one? Does the Moon have to be in a very specific place? No combination of things I do seem to have any effect. It’s lovely but I seriously don’t have the patience for it if it’s going to be this opaque.

4. cowardly says:

I do like the ideas behind this, and the puzzles are nice, but the controls particularly are awful… Maybe it’s the speed of things? I find it’s nice for exploration and the such, and it does make for relaxing and panoramic experience (the swooshy camera, however awkward at times, does add to that). But for the puzzle solving (especially when block pushing in that last bit), the pace really strains my patience. Having to watch my little guy pushes blocks for 10 minutes when I’d solved the puzzle in my mind in about a minutes was mind-numbingly boring.

Also, it is very much opaque as to controls and a certain number of things about what you can/can’t do. (Hint : you don’t (AFAIK) need to do anything to that rock, you can pass by it to the passage behind; also, it took me ages to figure out when I could and couldn’t push boxes….)

Anyway, a good start, I would say. For a game in alpha, hiccups are to be expected, and here’s to hoping the full game will fix these problems, because I can still honestly say it’s got potential. I love moving that moon around and seeing the water bend to my will, or the shadows move where I want them.

LTK says:

The mechanics are pretty clever, yeah. It didn’t take me long to figure out, but when I did, I felt silly for not considering that the moon has other effects than making the water rise.

5. Caiman says:

It’s as good as I hoped it would be. The atmosphere reminds me of very sedate version of Another World. Still there’s clearly more work to be done. I don’t mind the pace, although it needs to feel a little more responsive. Clicks to move your character are often met with an inexplicable pause before anything happens. Their twitter feed shows they’re aware of this stuff and working on it.