Ten More Minutes Of DayZ Footage Via VG247

By John Walker on June 12th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

VG247 seem to be saying they have the “world’s first look at the standalone version of DayZ”. Perhaps they mean from this year’s E3? Of course creator Dean Hall has been showing footage for ages, not least twenty minutes of it back in March. However, what VG do have is ten minutes of the very latest build that’s being shown at E3, featuring new animations, weapons and features, and is well worth a look.

There’s good demonstrations of the inventory and crafting systems. It’s a bit odd that a line of text on screen saying a thing that’s happened is described as “more intuitive feedback”, but hey ho. Perhaps a bit too much emphasis on gestures and tiny details, and not enough of running away from zombies. But still, interesting stuff.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. hatseflats says:

I hoped the stand-alone version would offer better animations and more intuitive feedback in combat – but apparently not. The player character gets hurt even while the zombie doesn’t seem to directly hit him, zombies seemingly jump straight through the player and then punch the air which still seems to score a hit &c. That (apart from the hacking) was my main gripe with DayZ so if they don’t fix that I’ll be rather disappointed.

• Drake Sigar says:

Indeed, you’d think zombie movement and detection is one of the first things they’d fix.

• varangian says:

Looking prettier is all to the good but unless the zombies stop behaving like homing missiles that won’t count for much. A problem compounded by allowing them to damage you from a distance. The chap playing said zombie damage was turned off so, assuming the deal much the same damage as before, he’d have died about half a dozen times in the course of the demo. Not a good advertisement overall, particularly when others (not you WarZ) have picked up the same concept and seem to be making a better job of it.

• Clavus says:

Yeah it’s not as polished as a lot of the next-gen titles that were shown. But I don’t really care, I’m more excited about the survival and crafting features they added.

• Geger says:

relax, it is early alpha build.

• dom.stb says:

i thought they’d have gotten it looking better than this by now.

• Clavus says:

I don’t expect it’ll radically improve. The zombie hit detection definitely needs improvement, but the Arma engine isn’t terribly great for really fluid / organic animation transitions. Part of its charm though. The mil-sim heritage makes it all the more immersive.

• grimpunch says:

In the industry this is when we decided to use a better engine despite heritage…

• Shodex says:

If the ArmA engine’s limitations wasn’t why the game went standalone, why did it?
          If they don’t make use of their new freedom to fix the glaring problems the mod had, and instead just layer on new features to hide it, this is nothing more than a cash grab.

• wengart says:

They split off their game’s development from that of the Arma development. They are still using the same base engine. This allows them to add stuff that might break Arma II/III.

Using the base Arma engine gives them the ability to render gigantic areas and all the milsim stuff like ballistics and shrapnel modelling. If they went to a totally new engine they would have to start doing all that stuff themselves. I think we’ll need to wait a while longer to be sure that they won’t be improving the animations/feedback.

Either way the zombie combat was never the main draw of this game. It was the player interactions which were important.

• Synesthesia says:

“It was the player interactions which were important.”

Which is why it’s devolution to a idiotic-slow-paced-deathmatch-kill-on-sight simulator was worrying to say the least. I have still to see a single design attempt to fix that problem.

I still have my faith for the standalone, but it is indeed, just starting to feel like a cashgrab, layering on what already existed, without any significant change in the base game design.

• AzzerUK says:

Still looks like a really, really early tech demo… and looks like hardly anything has been done since the very earliest videos of standalone started appearing months & months ago. That zombie handling (from their movement, animations, hit detection, all of it) looks no better than the terrible way zombies worked in the DayZ mod… and you’d think getting the zombies right would have been top priority. My excitement is dwindling rapidly.

• Wurstwaffel says:

yeah, it could also use some camera jerk to make the shooting more meaty

• Contrafibularity says:

Fuck, I just realised that even if they finish and pretty up that horrible UI, it’s still going to be the hyper-micro fidgety looting simulator I hoped it wouldn’t.

I don’t understand why they didn’t start ironing out the fidgety looting first and worked out from there, I honestly won’t be picking this up if it’s going to be mainly an exercise in finding out how a can of beans’ model intersects with its surrounding geometry when it’s 1.5 feet from the base of the bed. It’s endemic to the ArmA engine’s handling of character models, however it doesn’t present much of a problem beyond minor annoyance in A2, while being incredibly irritating in DayZ. Coupled with rampant cheating and griefing (the kind where it starts raining cows) it’s enough to give up on playing. I hope the devs will play their own game a bit more (without godmode, on actual servers) and find out the most broken things that must be fixed before even contemplating release.

Otherwise I really like the new buildings and it looks like they’re working on much better animation, I just can’t fathom why more pressing issues weren’t looked at first. Is a quickbar too much to ask, also?

2. DrScuttles says:

Pants, T-shirt and motorbike helmet, the classic zombie-battler’s combo. Though in fairness, if it’s warm enough to not wear jeans, it’s warm enough to rip off his T-shirt. Less fabric for the zombies to grab and such a bold fashion statement may give fellow humanfolk an admiring pause, long enough to get the drop on them.
    On the other hand, if it’s rather cold then his package will shrink and provide a smaller target. So pretty clever either way in my reckoning.

• roryok says:

I wonder is there an optimal colour for zombie-bashing attire? A Zombie’s decaying eyes probably see everything with a sepia tint, so yellow stripes are probably a good thing.

• jkz says:

So when standalone launches all the kidnap victims will be forced to strip to their undies. Progress.

3. Penguin_Factory says:

Zombie movement and shooting (the two biggest flaws with the original) look greatly improved, although that hit detection is way off.

4. Chalky says:

Why does the UI look so bad in this game? Is it just the early stage of development or what? I figured the original had this issue because it was a mod but now we’ve got a stand alone version and all the text is still clipping through the edges of its containers and there’s ugly times new roman style inconsistently sized fonts everywhere.

5. Chris says:

Have they added a game into DayZ? It just seems to be Sim Womble.

The most radical thing they seem to have added is the ability to jump.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Ha, I’m going to borrow ‘Sim Womble’.

But wasn’t that what it was always going to be? I never got any impression that they were going to change the basic gameplay/objectives from the mod to the standalone.

6. Howard says:

And the controls are *STILL* so clunky and badly designed that one of the guys making the damned game cannot even play it sensibly.
    Dear gods but Rocket is a total asshat. (Cue fanboi rage I could care less about…)

7. JFS says:

I suspect that when this ever comes out, there won’t be many people still interested in it.

• wearedevo says:

God I hope you’re right. When I started playing Day Z there were less than a hundred people playing, worldwide, and it was the best it ever got. Call me a hipster – I probably am. But it’s true.

• jonahcutter says:

No you’re not a hipster.

DayZ as a survival/zombie sim falls apart with more people. It turns into deathmatching.

• Shodex says:

Especially with everyone looking to cash on on the DayZ scene.
      The Division looks to be sort of trying that, without the zombies, and seems to be doing it much better.

Shame there’s no announced PC version.

8. dom.stb says:

This looks really worrying. There is still so much clearly wrong with this build: the gear menu looks awful, and Lightfoot seems to struggle to use it. Dragging stuff over and then it appearing back where it started like nothing happened – that’s gonna cause a few deaths when there are other players around. Zombie hit detection was ridiculous too, i mean really they were hitting him from 5-10ft away.

I love the mod, I really do, but it seems like i may be sticking with it for a while to see if this shitty build is improved upon before i buy the SA.

9. Love Albatross says:

Anyone played State of Decay (NOT DEAD STATE, my bad) on the 360 yet?

Because goddamn. That is a zombie survival game. It has the tension and scope of DayZ, but with an actual game in there. Melee combat is enjoyable, you’ve got to manage resources and character stats and there are some nice base building features. Your decisions make a palpable impact on the gameplay, and losing a character (permadeath) is genuinely upsetting.

I’m doubtful that DayZ can be as good, especially once it comes to PC and its little glitches are cleared up.

• Howard says:

Is it actually coming to PC though?

• Doghaus says:

My housemate has State of Decay (which is possibly more similar to Day Z than Dead State? I think? So many games with “Dead” in the title) on the 360 and it looks pretty excellent.

Just single player, but apparently this single player game is just really a proof of concept for their grand project which is a zombie survival MMO based on the same mechanics.

And yeah the Day Z standalone is badly in danger of having the wind come out of its sails. There’s no real sense of urgency going on. Either slap something together and shove the mod out as a standalone or get a proper team working on it to build it into something a bit more polished. At the moment, they seem to be doing neither :(

EDIT: Meant to reply to Love Albatross. Also State of Decay will be released on PC, whoop whoop.

• Love Albatross says:

Oops, I meant State of Decay. I don’t know what Dead State is, might have just made that up.

I’m in two minds about an MMO State of Decay. On one hand, it could be enormously fun to build a big group of survivors all played by real people, but I can’t stand the vicious free-for-all of DayZ. Getting shot by someone hiding in a bush and losing all your hard earned gear isn’t my idea of a good time. Hopefully it will have an option for PVE only servers.

• varangian says:

You haven’t imagined Dead State but it’s a top down, turn based zombie survival RPG. Looks good but not a direct competitor to DayZ.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with PvP providing it has some consequence. The (already slight) consequence of getting the bandit skin in the initial version of DayZ was removed and replaced by, er, nothing. Naturally all hell broke loose and the game turned into deathmatch.

There were plenty of suggestions as to how to remedy this. Mine was that any player you killed would come back as a zombie who, maybe with some friends, would make it his personal mission to grief his killer. ‘Rocket’ implemented none of the many ideas and I haven’t heard anything about the standalone to suggest he’s got a resolution to the problem.

• Mabswer says:

MMO state of decay? sounds a lot like WarZ, noooot too happy about that.

• povu says:

I think you mean State of Decay, the recently released game on Xbox. Dead State is the top down zombie survival RPG by DoubleBear with Vampire Bloodlines writer Brian Mitsoda. That’s not out yet, and most likely PC exclusive.

10. coldvvvave says:

“Its implausible that people run around with 50. rifles…”

…picks red motorcycle helmet.

11. Bhazor says:

Why did it have have to be zombies? Everything else about the game looks great but then those fuckin’ dull, non threatening, unintelligent, characterless, meaningless bastards appear and I get dizzy from my eyes rolling back in my head so hard.

Its like ooh an open world survival game with free ro- UGHHHHHH . Hey look at that character custo UGHHHHHHH . Ooh that weather’s really atmosp- UGHHHHHHHHHHH .

Hell the Twilight vampires would be more interesting. Say what you like about them at least they have agenda’s and plans. They don’t just get sprinkled around like packing peanuts to fill in the gaps.

12. clownst0pper says:

Why does he keep going 3rd person? Do people actually play it in 3rd person?:O

Also, the hit detection and general animations look bollocks. :-\

• Voronwer says:

While I have no real interest in playing shooters or in playing this game (though the concept intrigues me), it’s the third person view that actually for a moment had me thinking I could play this. I get motion sickness easily and thus I stay away from any game that doesn’t let me use third person view. (Honestly, sometimes that can be nauseating too. I’m looking at you, Assassin’s Creed.) So maybe he’s got the same problem as I do.

• jonahcutter says:

Third person will let you see around objects and corners without exposing yourself.

It lessens the immersion, and much of the tension, for me. But it also makes it artificially easier to see around yourself. Tactically, if it’s available, it should be used. Especially if other players are trying to kill you.

• dontnormally says:

To show off their next generation striped-shirt technology.

13. Mollusc Infestation says:

I wonder if the player character still has advanced osteoporosis in this version. The zombies were just a distraction. Doorways were always the real enemy.

14. Synesthesia says:

Dissapointing. One would have hoped that by now, enough systems would be in to let player interact with each other. Guess this will be another slow deathmatch, then.

Its a bit retarded. If all players can do with the world is aim and shoot at it, what do you think will happen with player interaction? Kill on sight and powergaming killed this game and ate its heart. I think the first one can be adressed. Here’s hoping they still will.

15. haradaya says:

Starting to think he should just drop the running zombies, and replace them with shambling zombies, and triple the amount in an area. Cause this path finding and hit detection is bollocks.

16. Bobtree says:

It still has DayZ’s awful HDR lighting. When he looks at the ground, it gets brighter. When he walks through a door into the sunlight, the whole scene gets darker. This sucks. It’s distracting and annoying and can sometimes make it unplayable. Seriously, just stop it. I won’t buy the game if it ships like this.

17. Ovno says:

I’m gonna go against the grain here and say that looks ace massive improvement over the looting mechanics, more enterable buildings, allergies, more gestures for trying to tell someone not to kill you plus much more, I can’t wait and will definitely be picking this up once its out…

And if most peeps don’t like it even better, DayZ was best before everyone (else) found out about it, I remember my first play session, spawned in the middle of the night, had to use flares to even work out what was around me, managed to get to an office block in a small town and hide up there, during which time loads of other people saw my flare and I eventually let them up onto my roof, we ended up with about 20 of us cowering in the dark, after one or two attempted betrayals ended in swift head shots, we all went for a loot, sadly 20 new people do not last long in the dark with zombies and very little ammo, still was absolutely brilliant and I can’t wait for more!

18. Jraptor59 says:

They missed the boat with me. I was interested in playing this last year, but my interest in zombies has declined and there are allot of games like DayZ on the market.

19. DetCord says:

Meh, I lost interest in this several weeks into the mod being released.

I might have reconsidered a purchase if the venue had been changed. A map located somewhere in the US or UK for example, probably would’ve peaked my interest a little more. I mean hell, Cherno looked post-apocalyptic well before the zombies got there. It’s a dump, and the locale isn’t immersive in the least.

Pass.

20. wulfstein says:

Quote from an interview with Rocket that was posted by a reddit user about the zombie attacks:

“Very Important

Matt forgot to explain the situation with zombie attacks:

Basically, we made a new system for the zombie animation attacks, but there is no event handler for that yet because it just went in this week. We need the event handler to synchronize the animation with its attack effects. Currently, as a placeholder, it simply plays the effect half a second after the animation is started.

The event handler is scheduled to be finished any day now, which will allow us to sequence the attack. It’s a very trivial change but will obviously instantly improve the output.

It has nothing to do with hit detection, animations, or anything. It’s how it is designed a placeholder.

Because we are rewriting many parts of the engine, problems like this (i.e. known bugs waiting for replacement of placeholder elements) are very common through the development as we wait for the sequence of development to occur.”

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1g5sa9/dayz_standalone_footage_from_e3_booth_with_matt/cah8tkm

Comment on this story