Toast The Coast: Infinite Crisis

By Adam Smith on June 12th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

I keep forgetting that Infinite Crisis exists. While Marvel’s true believers cling to the hope that Marvel Heroes might one day be a worthwhile proposition and console themselves with thoughts of Lego Marvel Super Heroes), the DC universe is dabbling in the MOBARTS genre, as seen in DOTA and the like. Signups for the closed beta are ongoing and Warner have announced a new map. The setting is Coast City, which has apparently known peace for years. The poor place deserved a break – it once fell over and then aliens built their own city atop the ashes of the millions who once resided there. Now there’s a Doomsday device in the streets, which is unfortunate. Evidence below.

Anyone playing? I’m tempted to try it but I don’t know how to play these things.

, , .

1. DerNebel says:

I find it funny how obviously they’re aping League of Legends. They have the same terminology, the same team roles, the game mode is the same as Dominion, many heroes even have spells that are obviously taken from LoL. Gaslight Joker for example, is obviously an adapted Mundo.

Still. I’ll probably play it, on account of liking comic books.

• Atuin says:

Agree, except for the fact that Mundo has a clear theme. Let’s compare:
      -Mundo: Mad scientist gone Hulk. Enjoys causing pain to others and himself (loses health when using special attacks)
      -Gaslight Joker: Like Joker, but fat for some reason, hits people with ham because he’s fat. Also there’s a swarm of rats. We had to cram in the “health=resource” mechanic so there’s needle that pumps his blood inside the handle of a crude butcher’s axe.

Same with Warwick/Nightmare Batman. First one is simply a werewolf, other’s a Batman turned into a vampire for no reason whatsoever. I just found out there’s also a “steampunk scifi pistol Batman”. Isn’t there a comic book character called Bullseye or Deadshot who would actually fit the “shoots people with guns” archetype? What’s next, Ninja Zombie Pirate Superman?

• Gazpacho Soup says:

Except for the fact that these are actual characters taken from the DC multiverse. Nightmare Batman is from Earth-43, (In which Batman fights Dracula and, well, loses really) and the Gaslight characters are all from Earth-19, wherein Earth is still in an industrial revolution. The Infinite Crisis site even has a list of all the Earths they will be stripping down for ideas.

• Gazpacho Soup says:

Speaking of character abilities, if you’re looking for a good chuckle check out the Green Latern and Shazam spotlights. Specifically their ultimate abilities, which consist of Hal Jordan somehow failing to understand how jet fighters work, and Shazam transforming into Billy Batson.

2. Carados says:

Any big name IP + Free to Play style of game = hideous amounts of free money for the company.

3. aguamoose says:

I am in the closed beta, but two things are preventing me from giving my thoughts. The NDA and the fact all the play times are American timezones so unless I want to stay up until 4am I will not get a chance to play.

4. CrispinFister says:

This is proof that comic books are for retards. Seriously. OMG GUYS WHY WON’T THEY MAKE GAMES OUT OF COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS THAT AREN’T AIMED AT CHILDREN AND EVEN THE ONES AIMED AT ADULTS ARE AWFUL??!?!?

Because comic books. They’re so dark and deep and mature and intellectually stimulating. Sure, I’ve read a few “graphic novels” but they weren’t nearly as deep as people made out. It’s a bit like Bioshock or Mass Effect, people go on and on and on about how they’re the best stories EVAR but in reality they are nothing more than pulp-fiction tripe aimed at morons who are too lazy to read real books.

• lowprices says:

Well somebody certainly had a big bowl of Grumpy-o’s this morning.

• hypercrisis says:

Yet here you are, on a site founded by one of the biggest names in comics today

5. PopeRatzo says:

I’m tempted to try it but I don’t know how to play these things.

I’m guessing that there is some clicking and/or button pushing involved.

How hard can it be?