Announced By The Grace Of Fish: Fez II

By Jim Rossignol on June 14th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

First there was Fez, and now there is two of it. That was the scene yesterday at Horizon Indie Game Conference yesterday, and later confirmed via content-free teaser trailer. You can try rotating this post through four dimensions to find out more about the new game, but the truth is that this is all we know. Sorry.

The original Fez is out on PC now.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. tehsorrow says:

I’m surprised it’s called Fez 2. Fish doesn’t strike me as the sequel sort. Although I suppose when you spend a decade making a game engine and assets you’ll want to get more than one game out of it.

• soundofsatellites says:

Well… he did enter the game twice to the IGF, so it doesn’t surprise me at all. Don’t know why I find it funny ’cause sequels were pretty common in the indie auteurs (I’m thinking of messhof, cactus, who starded gaining visibility around the same time) but he seems in the awkward john blow spot: you shall not repeat yourself or something.

2. twig_reads says:

A whole new Fez to choke on!

3. Spacewalk says:

It’s not named Fe2 so it’s off to a good start already.

4. peedywee says:

Awesome! I can’t wait to play this when it comes out in 5 years!

5. DrScuttles says:

But will it transcend the fourth dimension: heart?

6. FF56 says:

I wonder if this time it will arrive on spreadsheet machines at launch

7. Caiman says:

Does it mean that I’m getting old when I find the Horizon conference far more exciting than anything I saw at E3? Perhaps it’s because it showcased all the exciting innovation and fun that E3 seemed to lack?

• Noviere says:

I was really excited about Horizon as well, but I found the press-conference a bit underwhelming. Not much was shown, and most of the stuff that caught my eye was only mentioned as being for consoles.

Still, Double Fine getting funding for 2 more games made me happy.

8. moocow says:

But we still don’t know whether to play the first one because RPS never did a Wot I Think :(

• Nova says:

Yeah, with the popularity and all the accolades it received I’m surprised that there never was much interest for the game on RPS, not to mention a WIT.

Did no one from the Hivemind like it?

9. Greggh says:

Fez has too much appeal to a market segment that I really don’t like… so I don’t like to be seen hanging around with Fez.

Truth is… no really, I didn’t like the game… I dunno, something didn’t click when I played it.

10. Screamer says:

Will there be a version I can run in a spreadsheet?

11. demicanadian says:

Fez 2 – this time (T + 5 years) it may contain actual gameplay!

12. GameCat says:

After rotating this post I’ve got something like this:

No clues here.

13. mrmalodor says:

I’m gonna call it now: Xbox One exclusive, probably no PC version ever.

• GameCat says:

After bitching (and he was right) about how MS wanted $20 000 for publishing a patch, I don’t think so.

• Valvarexart says:

Well, that was after he said that PCs are only good for spreadsheets.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I don’t care either way, the Phish says whatever the f**k he wants, in no particular order and may at times contradict himself, which is why I love him.
          very excited by this teaser.

• apocraphyn says:

See, John was just trying to be clever with the contradictory articles. Fish was just being a twat.

That’s about all there is to it. Don’t see why people like yourself idolise the guy, he’s said some reprehensible things and has an awfully snobby air to him. It’s like some odd form of worship on a level with Battered Person Syndrome.

• cawt says:

Because some people are actually able to think for themselves and enjoy his work.

Edited for clarity and niceness.

• limimi says:

lol cawt I sincerely can not figure out which side you are saying does what here

• cawt says:

There you go.

• Frank says:

Yeah, even though (i) he should have enough money to make the game he wants without a publisher’s help and (ii) he’s already made the FEZ engine work on PC, I’m still expecting some douchery from Fish. Probably he’ll add a new mechanic and on that basis say “If you don’t play this with a controller, you are subhuman”…only releasing a patch for keyboard controls a year later.

FEZ is great, but I’m hoping that this time they release Fish for interviews a year after the game comes out.

14. Scumbag says:

Is it bad that whenever I see a cool looking Indie thingamabob rather then think “I cant wait to get that!” I just think “Will wait for the bundle.”?

• squirrelrampage says:

If the game doesn’t strike you as being worthy of supporting the devs, then No. After all the Bundles are what the Steam Sales are for AAA and A games.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well, the game was made by mr. Fish who, as has been stated has little regard for our platform of choice. Which makes me question his decision to bring it out on PC in the first place, but certainly won’t make me want to support his past and future endeavours.

15. Laurentius says:

I guess RPS is too hip for FEZ. I don’t care, it’s goty for me for now, absolutly lovely puzzle platformer that lives up to it’s clever mechanic.

16. Benjamin L. says:

Spent 9 hours on this game. It’s a massive(and I mean massive) 2D exploration game with clever puzzles and a cryptic Dark Souls-like world, I loved it.

To people saying it has no ‘mechanics’, explain what this ‘mechanics’ is and why FEZ hasn’t got it. I value mechanics over all else and admired it greatly.

17. Sardonic says:

Phil Fish has shown a blatant disregard for PC gamers in his offensive tweets and opinions, any PC gamer who buys Fez or Fez2 anywhere other than a humble bundle, with no money going to the developer, is a PC gaming race traitor.

• cawt says:

Trollbrigade emergency edit!

Edit²: Trollpatrol? Is it better or is the alliteration detrimental?

Edit²: Nope, it’s worse. I’ll stick with Trollbrigade.

Let me say, in place of my previous statement, that I have enjoyed Fez on PC very much and that I’ll gladly welcome a second installment.

Pretty allergic to that whole race thing though.

18. jrodman says:

Those other games sure are unoriginal. Unlike the Fez *series*.

19. running fungus says:

*drools*

I’ll cast my enthusiastic vote for the original Fez. Deciding to play without any spoiler, any help, was the best decision possible. It’s been one of the best videogame experiences of my life as a result (though, disclaimer: I didn’t snag it until after the bugs were fixed). The only problem with a sequel is that I’m not going to want to play it until I’ve solved *every* puzzle in the first…

Comment on this story