Fathoming A Snorkel: World Of Diving Footage

By Jim Rossignol on June 14th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Vertigo Games send word that their scuba-fancier’s paradise, World Of Diving, now has some gameplay footage. According to the devs it shows players “enjoying the virtual fish, flora and fathoms of ocean.” You can see that below. If it is possible to enjoy fathoms. “This depth is excellent!”

The game, which they’ve been energetically promoting over on IndieGoGo, has raised just $14k of it’s $75k target, so perhaps this glimpse of a new life under the sea will push some folks into signing up.

Or perhaps not.

Snorkel is an excellent word. I don’t get enough opportunity to use it.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Jimmy Butler says:

I can’t fathom why anyone would want to play this.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Oh come now. Don’t be so shallow.

• Lobotomist says:

Why people play forklift simulator ? Bus driving simulator ? Deer hunting simulator ?

Some people are really into these things. And this one actually looks quite nice.

phuzz says:

I fish people would keep the puns bubbling under, otherwise we’ll hook hapless commenters. If only there was a plaice just for puns.

Anyway, will this game have ray tracing?

• Vurp says:

Even better! It will have stingray tracing.

cpt_freakout says:

Stop waving all these puns at me! You’re all drawn to blood like sharks to puns.

Klydefrog says:

Shorely you caught the fact that he was making a pun? Unless you’re angling for a fight

• jonahcutter says:

Such negativity. Why don’t you take a long walk off a short pier.

• beef_spread says:

Exactly, this sort of attitude is only going to push Vertigo games into liquidation.

• satsui says:

Because we can. I actually want this.

• mr.black says:

But you gotta admit, they’re the biggest fish in their pond.

2. Beernut says:

I sea your point, but maybe the game is deeper than the trailer suggests.

• Perjoss says:

I hope its nicely optimised, I really cant be bothered to update my graphics divers.

3. fitzroy_doll says:

From my experience of talking to divers, they will only be interested in this if it is about kit. A dive shop simulator with bonus fish.

4. Saarlaender39 says:

I own a Wii and “Endless Ocean 1+2″.
    That’s all I ever need, if I feel the urge to “play” a diver.

• InternetBatman says:

Some of us have 200 hours in the Endless Oceans and can use a new diving game.

5. GameCat says:

Isn’t it World of Wardiving?

6. Jake says:

I would love to see an underwater survival horror game – gloomify these graphics, add some ‘running out of breath while in pitch black water’ drama, add some Penumbra style puzzles and the occasional terrifying escape from octopuses and mutant whales and I would kickstartagogo the hell out of it.

• realitysconcierge says:

I would think there would be much more of a market for that than this.

• jonahcutter says:

Exploring underwater caves and a massive sunken ship? Or maybe even a drilling facility, as in The Abyss? Needing to scrounge tools and air supplies? Repairing malfunctioning gear? Makeshift weapons? Strange underwater shenanigans?

Hell yes that sounds fun.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Hell yes. I mean, everyone knows that the scariest ancient god monsters are underwater (for now). Unfortunately I am absolutely terrified of underwater swimming in games so such a game might actually kill me.

• patrickpeppers says:

Yes, yes, yes a million times. I’m terrified of the deep ocean. I’d be in a cold sweat for the duration of the game.

7. InternetBatman says:

This looks amazing. I’ve been desperately wanting an Endless Ocean replacement.

On the other hand, I despise their backer reward model. Special-in-game items that look like they will significantly alter gameplay depending on how much you pay.

8. stele says:

MASKFACE?

9. physys says:

Yes, a new swim ‘em up.

10. Urthman says:

So for only $500, they’ll let you play with the best boat in the game. The second best boat is only $250, and if you just want a plain old speedboat, it’s yours for a mere $80.

$65 will get you an in-game harpoon.

11. Alextended says:

I just want Endless Ocean 3, this somehow doesn’t seem as good as 1/2 (which I wish were a little less unrealistic but they’re great games anyway) despite the higher resolution and what not. It doesn’t even really look as if they’re underwater to me. And yeah, I don’t like the way they wanna sell items. Will non backers by able to get those treasure detectors and things eventually or just never see those gameplay elements at all? Or even end up having to pay extra on top of the game for it? It sounds like f2p.

12. The Random One says:

This looks like it’s exactly what I’d expect it to be and not an iota more.

13. Shodex says:

But do the fish have AI that makes them swim away when I get near them?

14. Tommo says:

As a professional scuba diver, I approve and would rather play this than that COD Ghosts shit i saw yesterday. In COD he got taken down what looked like 15m by that wreckage and didnt bust his eardrums made me decide never to play the next COD.
    When diving you need to equalize your ears every 1-3ft = ~1m. The pain lets you know its time.

• Alextended says:

Unrealisitic elements is a pretty silly resson not to play a game… Especially if singling out a certain game in a wholly unrealistic series like COD.

• Doganpc says:

I figured your biggest complaint about new CoD would be that the whole underwater section is linear scripted events.

Don’t worry though, someone is bound to mod this game and put guns in it anyway. Tricky part is getting them to shoot. Maybe if you replace/add a fish that happens to look like a spear you can make a speargun that propels (shoots) fish (spears) at an appropriate speed for a spear. Would look cool but thats about it I think, doubt there’s consequences for bumping into fish in this game.

As for the rest of us, who don’t need guns underwater… we’ll be watching for the bikini clad divers of course (or bahama trunk hunks if you so desire).

15. InternetBatman says:

Would be interested to see them try this on kickstarter. Yes, they charge you more, but the discovery element makes up for it.