Planetside 2 Call To Arms This Sunday!

By Jim Rossignol on June 14th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

We’re calling all RPS soldiers to the front on Sunday 16th from 7pm UK on Miller. Planetside 2 is free-to-play, so this is an ideal time to get acquainted, and see what happens when several hundred RPS readers are deployed in the same theatre of laser-death.

Details below.

Here’s our community-made video on how to get sorted for the call to arms:

There’s a lot more information over on our Planetside 2 forum, specifically the Mumble thread – you will need this to join in!

The outfit website has lots of information for new players, too.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

MajorManiac says:

Woo Hoo! The last one was really fun so I’m looking forward to this. Just need to find something to keep the Mrs and Children occupied.

Maybe RPS could organise a simultaneous event for game-suffering other(better)-halves.

• pocketlint60 says:

What time is 7 pm UK in Pacific Standard Time? Also, would it be a bad idea for me to join if I’m American because of lag and such?

• TWChristine says:

12 in the afternoon? 11 maybe? You could always Bing it to check. As for lag, might be a good idea to hop on the server and see for yourself! :) I didn’t find it too bad coming from Atlantic Canada. The only lag I got was from the frames dipping so low when around a lot of people.

• gi_ty says:

Its 7 hours for me mountain time so 8 hours for you…. I am going to log onto the Miller server tonight to see what kind of pings I can get. Hopefully not too bad because this is awesome!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I fear if the other(better)-halves ever unite they will conquer the world.

Ksempac says:

Ok replying to the first post so that information don’t get lost :

DOWNLOAD, INSTALL and RUN the game at least once BEFORE the event. Otherwise, you will spend the entire Call to Arms looking at an ugly download bar.
      That also applies to people who haven’t played recently : Run it before to get the updates.

2. Asurmen says:

This will be the first Call to Arms I’ve missed :( No magburning off off bridges for me :(

3. phelix says:

This is probably getting old, but is the game still unplayable on 50% of CPUs? Last seven times I tried playing this game I’d get 60 FPS in the spawn and 6 FPS in a moderate battle.

• Cei says:

Depends what CPU you have?

PS2 is still pretty poor at multi-threading, so needs a fast clock speed rather than lots of cores, as it simply loads about 50% per core. Apparently it might be fixed some time, but until then, who knows.

• Asurmen says:

One of the benefits of Planetside 2 going to the PS4 is that they’ll retrofit the better multi threading to the PC version. In the mean time, even modest overclocks can make the world of difference. My i7 920 went from 30 fps and usually dipping way down to a constant 40+ fps after a 1ghz overclock.

4. Joriath says:

As has been mentioned quite often, I would highly recommend anyone interested in playing PS2 for the first time downloads the game well in advance as it’s a sizeable download and patch(es).

5. woodsey says:

I really want to play but – and this might sound ridiculous – I cannot play the game with its ridiculous vaseline smear. I’ve seen Let’s Plays on YouTube which look absolutely gorgeous, but no matter what settings I mess around with it looks ugly as hell.

6. Inglourious Badger says:

I can make this one! Woohoo! Squee! Ahem. I mean, Roger, wilco, Charlie, Alfa Romeo, Foxtrot, two can tango, Charleston. Reporting for duty 0700 hours, Captain Horace

7. Davie says:

Question! Do I need to have a mic myself, or is being able to listen to orders enough?

• Reefpirate says:

I wouldn’t say a mic is necessary. Although I can’t speak for the RPS group, I would think they’re pretty open minded about these things.

Just don’t expect anyone to hear you when you say ‘Guys there’s a tank about to run us all over’. And people usually don’t respond very quickly, if at all, to platoon text chat.

• The JG Man says:

Listening in is sufficient, being able to speak is preferable. We like to hear a variety of voices!

• Cei says:

If you don’t have a mic, listening in on Mumble is fine – or if you’re just shy. You might find a mic a useful purchase for when you continue playing though!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

And I assume we’ll begin with a rousing chorus of the National Anthem?

• lunarplasma says:

Quite a few regulars of the RPS Outfit are on mumble but don’t have/use a mic to speak, and use the text chat to communicate.

8. TWChristine says:

Sweet! I just got my computer back up and running and was dissapointed to see the amount of RPS folk on Neverwinter had dropped considerably, so was looking forward to giving this a shot. I played a bit today, but as someone else mentioned my FPS went down to about 5 whenever a fight broke out. As such I’ve been spending my time becoming rather adept (I think) at healing people. It’s kind of fun hiding in a small shack holding off a bunch of tanks and then making a mad dash out to revive someone who had been shot down trying to make it to our hideout!

mrpier says:

[RPS] loves its medics, if you’re in a squad with less than four combat medics, don’t hesitate to spawn as one.

9. Squamate says:

Oh man, I’ve wanted to participate in one of these for a while. However, I’ve been testing my ping to the Miller server and the results are… not encouraging. (average 350ms ping with occasional spikes to over 700, using the command-line ping tool) Considering that the call to arms is taking place at a time when everyone else in my house is likely to be using bandwidth for Netflix &c., I’m pretty sure that my connection is going to be hilariously terrible when the time comes. So, I guess I’m wondering if it’d be a bad idea for me to join in on this? I don’t want to ruin anyone else’s enjoyment by lag-teleporting around, not being able to hit anything, and generally not being able to pull my own weight, connection-wise, so… yeah. I’d really like to get involved with this, but not if I’ll be a burden on the fine folk of the RPS community with my (presumably) excessive lag.

Then again, Planetside 2 could have incredible lag compensation / the ping figures I’ve got aren’t really problematic / people aren’t as bothered by laggy players as I seem to think, and I’m worrying about nothing. But in the past, I’ve had difficulty playing PS2 because of my connection and I guess I don’t want to lessen anyone else’s experience, somehow, if that makes sense.

Also woo, finally commenting on RPS, go me I guess

10. StarFish59 says:

I’ve been meaning to try this game for a while now. Would the Call To Arms be a good place to start or should I get some practice in first and join the next one?

• CMaster says:

CtA is a fine place to start, we’re expecting lots of newcomers.

However, if it doesn’t suit you now, then come join us some other time. Just DO come and join in with [RPS] from the start, don’t feel that you need experience to join us.

11. eran100 says:

Is there anyway I can switch my charecter server?
    Btw this is my first Call To Arms :)

• EsotericReverie says:

Character transfer tokens are allegedly coming “soon”, whatever that means in these situations. But not yet, no.

12. Sleepymatt says:

Ugh having forum difficulties (ie forgotten my forum password hmf!), but thought I’d post here on the off-chance it was seen..

Had a blast playing PS2 for pretty much my fiirst time tonight – RPSers were all great fun and very tolerant of a newbie that was more likely to accidentally kill them than any foes, as well as get lost every other second. Special thanks to Sinomatic for her very friendly welcome, even though I was well past 2 hours late for the meet. I’ll definitely be making a bit of time for this again in the future! Next time I might even have time to chat a bit more if I can manage to not be so clueless with everything else!

• TWChristine says:

I have to agree..it sounds pretty much like my experience. Running around one way thinking “Alright! Time to help!” And then realizing that I should have gone the other way instead.. But it was still a load of fun! I just think the game itself is kind of hard to understand. After 3 days or so of playing I still don’t fully understand what’s going on! A generator is about to blow up..now its safe..for some reason we just lost the area..now I have a suicide countdown..some people are fighting in a locked room..

Anyway..I think I learned more tonight than just playing by myself the past few days, and I also really appreciate Sinomatic taking the time to greet everyone. I felt so bad when I came on JUST as she finished explaining everything and then had to do it all over again for me!

• AlmondyGoodness says:

Same here. Thoroughly enjoyed it last night, I’ve played PS2 a bit before but this is the first time I’ve really got the point of it. Red platoons mass infantry assault of Blackshard mine or the stallwart defence of crux were particular highpoints for me. Cant wait for the next call to arms!

• Inglourious Badger says:

+1 on the “It was my first time and it was brilliant”. and +1 on how brilliant Sinomatic was in gracefully handling my “Um, I haven’t used this mic before, can you hear me…?” newbieness.

Being aboard one of the flock of Galaxy dropships descending on, err, somewhere near NC Warpgate was pretty special, but the highlight was pushing into Sungrey Amp Station at sunset. Night fell, the battle went neon technicolour, I started hitting a (short-lived) killstreak stride, it all came together. Even the oldies were chattering about how they hadn’t seen such an epic battle in months. It was special.

Thanks for bearing with me Green Delta.

• Inglourious Badger says:

Question: Do we do this sort of thing for ARMA? I’ve never tried that MP and have an inkling it could be as amazing, if not quite as manic.