The RPS Bargain Bucket: Until The Last

By Lewie Procter on June 15th, 2013 at 5:33 pm.

It’s time again for you to consider purchasing some games for a discounted price. Here’s my weekly bargain bucket, where I’ve compiled a roundup of what I think are the best offers available for games that you can play on your computer this weekend. On top of this, you can always find the fruits of my constant search for the best deals in gaming for all platforms over at SavyGamer.co.uk.

Saints Row: The Third: The Full Package – £6/€7.99/$9.99
Apply coupon “GMG20-6WUSQ-LBC4U”. Registers on Steam.
Here’s wot John thought of Volition’s third entry in their series of games about the people in one gang shooting the people in the other gangs:

It’s an astonishing game. It’s vast, idiotic, and brilliantly made. The pop-up on cars and the like is poor, and instantly needs fixing, but that’s really the only thing that excessively bothered me throughout. You’re so constantly rewarded with levelling up, new weapons, gang customisations, insanely powerful hovering aircraft that fire lasers, surprise mayors (that they insanely gave away in a trailer, despite its not being revealed until the last fifth of the game), ridiculous novelty hats and giant dildos.

More here.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon: Enhanced Edition – £6/€11.99/$11.99
Apply coupon “GMG20-6WUSQ-LBC4U”. Registers on Steam.
It’s that game about flying planes. This was released on consoles a fair while before it came out on PC, and the PC version comes with extra graphics, a bunch of stuff that was DLC for the console version, and it support up to 16 players for multiplayer now. Is this any good then? I enjoyed one of the Ace Combat games I played on the original playstation, but I’ve not spent any time with any of the other ones since. Worth £6?

Super Hexagon – 66p/€0.99/$0.99
Lots of people scream out swear words when they die in high octane arcade games like Super Hexagon. I mostly stay completely silent. Totally engaged on the task at hand, there is nothing else, there are only hexagons. The only times that I make a sound when I die is after a fairly successful run. Once you’re pushing 120 seconds, a death is more than just a failure, it’s opportunity for greatness thrown away. You were on the cusp of ascending to the higher ranks in The Order of The Hexagon, but you fluffed it and now you have nothing to show for it. It’s these moments that I involuntarily let out a scream at the top of my voice. I think that this means that Super Hexagon got under my skin. Here’s wot Adam thought.

Depth Hunter, Derrick the Deathfin, Dungeon Hearts, Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon, Guns of Icarus Online, Mutant Mudds, SpaceChem, Ticket to Ride, Tower Wars & Toy Soldiers – £6.26/€7.49/$9.99
Dungeon Hearts, Guns of Icarus Online, SpaceChem, Ticket to Ride, Tower Wars & Toy Soldiers register on Steam. From Amazon US, so you need to enter a US billing address.
Shedloads of games here for not very much money. I’ve been noticing that Amazon are currently going after the indie bundle market incredibly aggressively. My understanding is that in bundles like these, it’s $10 for 10 games, with the revenue being split evenly between all the devs and/or publishers (so $1 per sale per game). So Amazon are not taking a cut, but they are still paying for hosting, distributions, transactions costs and affiliate comission out of their pocket, so Amazon are losing money on each bundle sold. I wonder whether that’s just an introductory policy since they started pushing their indie game storefront, or whether it’s a more long term strategy to just get people using their site (for full price games, not just discounted games). With their (of the surface) relatively simply/open submission process, and aggressive capacity for discounts (and ability to get by on tiny margins), I think Amazon are setting themselves up to be a major force in PC digital distribution. I think it’s potentially good for customers, but I don’t really see much evidence of them particularly caring about developers or gaming in general. Business is business and corporations are corporations, I suppose.

Deal of the week
Deus Ex: Human Revolution [Augmented Edition], Hitman Absolution [Professional Edition], Just Cause 2 & Sleeping Dogs – £12.73/€14.99/$19.99
Registers on Steam. From Amazon US, so you need to enter a US billing address.
Back to Amazon again, for a set of games from Square-Enix. DHXR: Good. Hitman Abolution: Bad. Just Cause 2: Good. Sleeping Dogs: Pretty good. That was easy, although if you want more detailed explanations, allow me to direct you to these RPS wordthinks: DHXR, Hitman Abolution, Just Cause 2 & Sleeping Dogs. Deux Ex: Human Revolution is great, but Just Cause 2 is my top pick out of this lot. It’s an open world game that feels like an open ended hollywood blockbuster action movie. Gotta be played.

Also of note:
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings – £5.09/€6.79/$6.79
Paranautical Activity – Pay What You Want
11 bit studios bundle
Arcen Games bundle
Nording Games promo at GOG
Cell HD: Emergence, Dungeon Hearts, Jones On Fire, Major Mayhem, Omegalon, SpaceChem, Syder Arcade, The Adventures of Shuggy, Tiny & Big in: Grandpa’s Leftovers & War of the Human Tanks – £6.26/€7.49/$9.99

For more cheap games throughout the week, pop along to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. strangeloup says:

I was fairly disappointed with Assault Horizon when I tried it on console. They seemed to have taken it in a more realistic (read: Call of Duty-ish) direction compared to the numbered instalments, and it was quite a bit less fun as a result. It’s not a terrible game, but it’s not a great one, and it’s not really representative of the series as a whole, with a lot of the established mechanics having being tweaked or changed.

On the other hand, £6 isn’t a lot of money, and there’s not a tremendous amount of competiton on the PC in the arcadey-flight genre. No demo, alas.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, the previous Ace Combat games have had this sci-fi alternate earth setting, complete with superweapons, giant boss battles and fictional nations getting pounded into the dirt by meteors.

AC:AH loses all of that. In its place, you’ve got fist-waving at those villainous ruskies, and about a fifth of the enemies in any given stage are flagged as ‘leaders’ ,which means that 95% of regular weapons fire will miss them, and you need to take them down using the on-rails pseudo-QTE ‘dogfight mode’.

• Jimbo says:

I can’t really recommend it either. It’s ok… there’s nothing especially wrong with it, it’s just kinda bland and it doesn’t have the charm of the previous games to help it rise above its humdrum gameplay.

2. SiHy_ says:

You forgot Steam’s current daily deal: War Z.
    Now, I’ve heard a lot of bad things but do you guys reckon it’s worth a little go for £2.75ish?

• dE says:

Here is something you can do which is more valuable and fun than playing War Z: Burn the money. Same effect – but your Steam Account won’t be forever marred by a shit stain called War Z.

• tobecooper says:

You can’t stop the Backlog Monster so easily!
        Money is for digitalized transactions for digital games!
        Cheap games are for buying!
        Aaaaaah

• Revolving Ocelot says:

Well, considering it’s climbing up the Steam top sellers…

No such thing as bad publicity (if it involves zombies).

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I’d say that terrible games are never cheap, in the sense that what you’re getting for your money will generally be not up to par.

So, uh.. no. Do not buy The War Z. Also, the devs are lying bastards trying to hitch a ride on DayZ’s Rocket.

• SiHy_ says:

See when you put it like that it makes me want to buy it all the more. Damn my contrary nature.
        However I shall take your advice and resist the temptation. Strange that a low price point can make me consider buying things I wouldn’t normally look at.

• RedViv says:

There is no reason to purchase this game, as there are better working alternatives both on the technical and the gameplay level, and going by what the forums say, the devs are still trying to keep up with the full realisation of all the promised features.

• tobecooper says:

I’ve grown to accept that anything on Steam Daily that is under $5 is going to sell.

In context of new games costing $60 or more, $3.75 is nothing and many gamers are going to treat it as such. So, in this case bad publicity is good publicity – people are going to check what is up with that noise surrounding the game. This is the logic I see behind the fact that WarZ is selling like hotcakes. Again.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Was this game a sort of Kickstarterless Kickstarter? All fart and nee shite as it were.

I bet the people who paid £30 on promises are git chuffed that it’s now £2.75 for the same alpha build!

Kickstarter where dreams are made and then funded by munters!!

Edit: as for paying for tiers, don’t bother, hit your thumb with a hammer IT’S FREE!!

• stupid_mcgee says:

To be fair, from what little I read up on about War Z today, they have finally implemented a few skills into the skill tree, private servers, clan support, and… uh… I think that’s about it.

There’s still only one map (Colorado) and no vehicles. Also, the amount of skills is pretty low. There’s 4 skills, two tiers each, for a total of 8 skills. If you consider that the additional skills are simply stronger versions of their previous iteration, there’s really only 4 skills.

Personally, the reason why I would hope people wouldn’t buy it, even if it is just to check out how lame/bad it is, is because they are still supporting a company that showed complete and absolute disregard and respect for their customers, deliberately and knowingly released false information (screenshots, feature lists) that blatantly gave a misleading representation of the game, and they also stole art assets from promo materials for various zombie movies and TV shows.

Even if you’re just buying the game to make fun of it, you’re still supporting a company that thinks this kind of behavior is not only reasonable, but also acceptable. These developers do not deserve money, even if it is based off of mockery.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

In reality it would be fraud if you tried it on the high street.

Gabes developemnt costs for his beloved box must be running above budget for them to get BACK in bed with these scam artists.

• stupid_mcgee says:

From what I understand, Valve did force The War Z devs to either come through on their listed features or to change their steam store page to more accurately reflect the title. Seems like The War Z folks did the later and updated their store page’s features, even though the screenshots are still misleading.

There’s tons of broken and crappy games on Steam, even other example of scam-type games. ORION: Dino Horde, anyone?

While I do think it’s regrettable that these games even come onto Steam and regrettable that Steam doesn’t take a more proactive approach in policing these matters, I also understand that Steam’s staff reviewing every title a large undertaking, and sometimes the notion of quality is even in the eye of the beholder. Sure, I can make my case for why War Z should not be on Steam. War Z fans (yes, there are legitimate people that do like the game) would be able to make the case why it should stay. Unless they’re violating the law by doing so, Valve’s interest is in being able to provide a product for those that want it.

If you truly do feel that The War Z puts Steam in a bad light, then contact Steam and tell them so. Let them know why you feel that Steam selling War Z is problematic and back it up with legit reasons. E.G. Don’t just say, “take it down because it sucks.” If you think it’s a scam, explain why.

However, before you do contact Valve, think about this: are you pissed at War Z because they’re actually doing something illegal and/or harmful towards the consumer, or because they’re a shoddy company make a half-assed and blatant rip-off of DayZ in a seemingly cynical attempt to cash-in on the aforementioned mod’s runaway popularity?

• Yosharian says:

Me and a few guys spent £2.74 + £1 to get the game and 3575 in-game credits, and we’ve had a muck about with it tonight as a group, between 4-8 of us.

I’ve found it very tense and cautious. I would hesitate to say ‘exciting’, but it’s definitely interesting as a group. As a solo player, I wouldn’t bother, but if you can get a group of guys together, it could provide some entertainment.

3. djbriandamage says:

There’s some pretty decent sales on Origin this weekend as well.

• Avish says:

Nothing special and you can find better deals elsewhere (BF3 is much cheaper in Gamersgate at the moment…), but still worth browsing.

You can also activate a BF3 DLC called: “Close Quarters” with the code: BF3E3.

• jamesgecko says:

Actually, the basic version of BF3 is $5 on Origin.

Good tip on that DLC, though!

• Avish says:

I see it for 20.99 Euro…
          EA and their stupid regional differences.

• The King K says:

I was able to get it from the origin US site by using no-script and going here: http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.225064100

I read some people simply had to disable javascript to avoid getting re-directed, didn’t work for me though.

• Avish says:

Thanks.

Origin asks for a US address and it’s too much of a hassle at the moment… (and I don’t know if using a fake address will cause trouble with EA and the lost of my three Origin games)

• The King K says:

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the address thing. I used a wallmart in Alaska for that, though since I used the cheap price to get a secondary BF3 account, the worst that will happen is that I am out 4 euro. Would be hesitant to risk my main account as well, EA hasn’t had the best track record with origin bans, did they?

• MegaAndy says:

Thanks! Just grabbed that DLC for free

• Pliqu3011 says:

Thanks for the heads-up!

4. Taidan says:

Atomic Bundle at http://www.bundlestars.com/ – £3.84

5. Matt_W says:

Kerbal Space Program is on sale on Steam for $15.40. I bought the game 2 weeks ago; it has consumed my life. $15.40 is an insanely good deal for the amount of content and enjoyment you get.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I think so far I’ve launched almost a tenth of the Kerbal population into Kerbin orbit, Munar orbit, or, on occasion, directly into the Sun.

Turns out you can’t land on the Sun.

Who knew?

• DarkMalice says:

Phenomal game. I’ve still to figure out a successful way to retrieve my stranded kerbals on the Mun. Poor buggers must be freezin’. Say nothing of the 6 currently on a one-way trip to the inter-galactic nothingness.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

What you call “stranded on the Mun” I refer to as a Munar colony.
        “A one-way trip to the inter-galactic nothingness” is a tear-jerkingly brave interstellar voyage.

• DarkMalice says:

I fully intend to attempt a rescue emission for all of them, eventually. It’s bloody hard steering a ship without any crew though, so you’re always risking more lives!

• stupid_mcgee says:

Frank Luntz, is that you?

• derbefrier says:

lol. I recently achieved orbit around Kerbal for my first time. I was pretty excited after many failures…those poor poor kerbals(been trying not to resort to guides) bought it a few weeks ago but only recently started playing it. Too bad poor Jebidiah is stuck in orbit without a way home with no fuel and no way to safely land even if he did have the fuel….I was so focused on getting into space it completely skipped my mind that those poor kerbals might wanna come back home at some point. Now how many kerbals will die trying to rescue old Jeb?

• DarkMalice says:

If he’s in orbit you can always send another ship up to rendevous, then pop him out and climb onto/into the second one. Risky as hell but failing is always a laugh anyway.

• Zenicetus says:

KSP is a great game. I recommend avoiding the many tutorials or forum help until you get stuck on something, like reaching stable orbit or an orbital transfer, because hilarious failure is the best thing about the game.

Eventually you’ll probably want to do things more efficiently, like learning about “asparagus staging” and so on, but the early parts of the game when I was just seeing what worked by trial and error (lots of error, many dead or stranded Kerbonauts) was the most fun.

6. The_Great_Skratsby says:

I’d say Ace Combat is well worth it.

Just finished it on console recently, it doesn’t have the silly melodrama or grandness of the other Ace Combat games, going for the whole po-faced C-grade real world action setting, but it’s still a rollickingly fun silly arcade flying game in bursts that’s all about style and swish then substance – and the mechanics are all reflective of it.

It’s no Crimson Skies, and it doesn’t have the great missions and combat variety of earlier Ace Combat games (or the wonderfully bad script and VA ‘go dance with the angels’), but because of the arcade flying drought these days it does still manage to stand out.

Also, Kerbal Space Program is discounted on Steam for the weekend, a good time to buy it for anyone curious.

7. Crimsoneer says:

Which bits of SR3 DLC are worth getting then?

• BarneyL says:

At the current GMG prices all three story based DLCs are worth it (the season pass covers all of them in one for £3.24). Each gives a couple of hours of entertainment.

• Liudeius says:

Why not just buy the full pack? It’s absurdly cheap.
        Does it automatically get put in your garage like in SR2, that’s what has stopped me from buying it, because I am extremely picky about my garage being in as near perfect order as possible.

• The Random One says:

Heh, I get what you mean. Yeah, every pack that adds a vehicle just dumps them into your garage.

• Oak says:

Honestly? None of them are especially good. The three mission-based ones (Genkibowl, Clones, Gangstas in Space) are kind of amusing, but they’re also repetitious and ultimately feel slight. The rest are mostly outfits you may or may not like, ridiculously powerful weapons that are available to you right at the start of the game, and vehicles you will eventually gain access to anyway, but in different liveries.

@Liudeius: Yes, the DLC vehicles are automatically in your garage. Also, the Bloodsucker pack permanently changes your neck snap move to a vampire bite.

• Premium User Badge basilisk says:

Gangstas in Space is fun. The gameplay doesn’t do anything you haven’t seen in the main game already, but it’s got a really good script and some excellent voice acting. The rest of it can be safely ignored.

8. DarkMalice says:

I bought Witcher 2, which is nice and all, but the bloody fps drop indoors is really putting me off now.
    Was about to mention Gnomoria on steam but it’s back up to £6. You should still buy that.

9. kalirion says:

11 hours left till the end. All games are in form of Steam keys.

Build-a-bundle style, pick whichever games you want, 3 games minimum (+ all bonus games) for $1, $0.33-$0.34 for each additional game, $4 for full bundle with all games

Syberia 1
    Syberia 2
    Still Life 1
    Still Life 2
    Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood
    Stellar Impact
    Chains
    Wasteland Angel
    Trapped Dead
    Post Apocalyptic Mayhem + DLC
    Nikopol: Secret of the Immortals
    Chrome + Chrome Specforce

Bonus games added for free regardless of which of the above are picked:

Avencast: Rise of the Mage
    Pacific Storm Allies
    Gumboy – Crazy Adventures

• Elementlmage says:

Pacific Storm is a great game that I would recommend, simply because it is so unique. It does have it’s flaws though.

It runs like crap with more that 15-20 warships per side, even on the best of hardware and the fact that it is many years old with very date graphics. Anything bigger than a destroyer takes a completely unreasonable amount of shelling, even with hexogen(RDX) researched. The AI has a really annoying habit of forcing you to waste ammo on transport ships when defending in harbor battles, which sounds like a good idea on their part, until you realize that they will often have hundreds, forcing you to expend ALL of your ammunition, leaving you at the mercy of the AI proper war fleet.

Still, highly recommended.

• tormos says:

Worth buying for Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood. Bought it for my dad’s birthday ages ago, one of the best games of all time

10. oyog says:

A bunch of the Total War games are on sale on Get Games (for the US, anyway.) They all register to Steam. http://getgamesgo.com/category/total-war-collections-sale

I haven’t played any of them and I’m thinking I’ll grab Rome: Total War since it’s only $3.24.

11. Revolving Ocelot says:

The War Z is now the top selling game on Steam.

Lewie, you may as well quit this column and Savygamer. We cannot be redeemed at this point.

12. The JG Man says:

Everyone should buy Super Hexagon. It’s utterly excellent. No fluff, just all insanity-inducing fun. You will boop along to the tune, whilst simultaneously cursing how bloody unfair it is (but it isn’t really) and then you’ll get better at it and then oh dear it’s the morning BUT WHO CARES so keep playing it and oh my it’s really quite wonderful.

• lokimotive says:

I found Super Hexagon on the PC insanely frustrating, and rather difficult to get into, but I found it sublime on my Android phone. I’m not exactly sure why that is, but I was just able to react better on the phone.

• MondSemmel says:

I had some input lag on the PC, which I was eventually able to fix by disabling Vsync. Try that! It results in some unfortunate screen tear, but I was able to ignore that quite soon. I played for hours without beating any game modes past the first two, then beat modes 3-5 within half an hour of disabling Vsync. Didn’t change the fact that Hyper Hexagonest turned out to be very, very hard, though. That final mode took me 8.5h of playing time to beat.
        But I don’t regret spending that time on it. Super Hexagon is just that enjoyable.

• Shadowcat says:

Agreed, although Lewie’s talk of 120 second runs is clearly a disingenuous lie. I’m sure that Super Hexagon’s timer doesn’t know about a third digit.

• MondSemmel says:

I agree that the game is absolutely brilliant, but I personally don’t see how anyone could play it for hours at once. Past a point of playing, say, 30 min at a time, I noticed I just didn’t get any better – my concentration waned etc. So I played the game in lots of short sessions à 20-30 min.
      And as I mentioned below, if you have the feeling that you cannot react fast enough in the faster game modes, try disabling Vsync, and see if it helps. Might possibly be a tiny input lag issue.

13. tetracycloide says:

I wouldn’t bother with DX HR at $20 at this point because they have announced that the director’s cut will be coming to PC.

• MattM says:

Plus its been on sale for like $5 USD on steam. It probably will be again during the summer sale. Speaking of which, has there been any leaks on the date for the summer 2013 sale?

• phelix says:

I believe the precise date is the same as always: Somewhere In July, When Valve Feels Like It.

• HadToLogin says:

Two started in June, last started in July. Wouldn’t expect any in this week, though. Maybe next week, so last day could be July 4th and then weekend of reruns
          Can’t wait for it to start, so other sites will bring even better deals than Steam, just like it happened in last Winter sale.

• HadToLogin says:

Did you not notice there’s also Hitman, Just Cause 2 and Sleeping Dogs along Deus Ex?

Great pack for someone who doesn’t have them all, each game for $5. And since every game have it’s own steam keys, you can do some trades/splits/group-buys.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Yeah, it really is a good deal. Maybe not if you’re only getting it for DX:HR or Just Cause 2 (both go on sale for ridiculously cheap fairly regularly), but if you’ve missed out on most, or all, of those games, it’s a fantastic deal. Especially with the inclusion of Sleeping Dogs. Not a perfect game, but well made and a lot of fun, IMO.

14. Curundir says:

I bought Saints Row 3 a few months ago during a Steam sale, but had to ask for a refund. It ran at 5 frames per second on my system. (Which runs most everything on 1080p, high settings.) There is a thread by the devs on the official forums saying that they acknowledge these problems, and that a patch may be on its way. After that, silence. Do a search for “Saints Row 3 low performance” and you’ll get the idea.

• Jason Moyer says:

If I do that I get 3 matches not counting your post. The other 3 seem to be pointing to an AMD or ATI issue. I can’t see it being an ATI issue…maybe a specific ATI chipset issue – I haven’t tried it on my 7870, which still has issues even after several drivers to clean up problems with the 7 series cards, but it ran great on my 5770.

15. Inglourious Badger says:

re:Amazon making a loss just to get customers through the door. This is their strategy all round, it’s one of the reasons they hardly pay any tax, because they hardly make any profit. It’s all about growth into every retail market, cause that’s what shareholders want to see. If the share price keeps going up who cares about profit. They sell Kindle’s at cost for the same reason. That’s why other retailers can’t compete, it’s pretty toxic. Further reading here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/16/amazon-tax-avoidance-profits

• InternetBatman says:

Some of their stuff is a bit wrong, yes, but some of that just seems like perfect competition as a factor in retail on the internet. The article seems to take the stance that eventually they’re using monopoly tactics and eventually they’ll raise prices, but the internet doesn’t work that way.

Raise prices and someone else can put up a store anywhere for a ridiculously small amount of money to compete. Selling the kindle at cost just means they’re subsidizing hardware with software sales, that’s just the console model. That tactic is a bit misleading, but not bad until you abuse it the way printer makers do.

Here’s another way of putting the main issue in the article: “Rather than paying shareholders Amazon reinvests in its company.” Does that really sound so bad?

• Inglourious Badger says:

Yeah, I agree with you wholeheartedly, I used the word ‘toxic’ in a misleading way. It’s good for consumers, just toxic for other retailers. Like you say, the selling your hardware at cost to tie customers into future software sales is nothing new, but generally selling anything and everything at a loss just to get you in ‘the door’ is incredibly aggressive.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I don’t really think it’s to get them “in the door” as much as it is to keep them afloat. Amazon is huge. They got their foot in the door years ago. They just want to make sure that door stay opened, and making sure they’re not undersold is a good way of ensuring they’ll stay around.

16. Lambchops says:

You should really buy one of those bundles with Spacechem in it. Yes, you at the back there. Don’t think I saw you about to slink off without buying it.

SPACECHEM!

17. Cruyelo says:

Battlefield 3 : Close Quarters (4 maps) is free. Enter the code BF3E3 in Origin.
    (Yes, I know, Origin is bad)

Battlefield 3 Premium (upgrade version) is also currently 15$.