Civil Served: Civilization V: Brave New World Footage

By Jim Rossignol on June 17th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Civilization V: Brave New World adds a continent-sized piece of content to Civ V, with nine new civilisations, more wonders, trade-routes, ideologies, and an over-hauled cultural victory. Looks like this could be a fairly big deal compared to Gods & Kings, partly thanks to the “world congress” feature intended to facilitate greater diplomatic happenings between nations.

Footage and details below.

The expansion is due in July.

, , .

1. luukdeman111 says:

I would sell my soul to have that guys voice…. Having him read the introduction of your empire as you start up a new game of civ is just an epic feeling, every single time…

• Bingo Bango says:

He’s got an undeniably cool voice, but he sounds so damn bored for half of his Civ V monologues.

• Jools says:

I’ve always wondered if Firaxis was only able to pay for a really limited amount of his time or something. I don’t think it’s so much that he sounds bored as it is that he sounds really rushed. There are even a couple of technologies where he skips a word. It’s really a little disappointing since William Morgan Sheppard has the perfect voice for Civilization. With better direction, I honestly think he’d make a better narrator than Nimoy.

• Bhazor says:

Somewhat on topic, who is the voice for Pegi? It’s like the “trailer voice” guy, you hear him all the damn time but you never see him or learn his name.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I really really like that an E3 trailer is entirely devoted to international diplomacy.

2. MrEclectic says:

That voice…

Papa Vanu?!

3. Bhazor says:

But is Baba Yetu back yet?

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I CAN’T STOP LISTENING

(That’s a lie, I closed the tab after about a minute)

• iniudan says:

My brain is confused… it seem not sure between awesome or melting down.

• mouton says:

I never got into the Baba Yetu hype, really. I really liked Al Nadda from Warlords menu, though.

4. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

EMBARGO THE ZULUS!

5. cptgone says:

sounds like a lot of money for not too many changes. if this improves the game, i’ll buy it when deeply discounted.
    i keep wondering if they’re even trying to tackle the game’s problems, instead of simply adding features to rake more money in.

• The Random One says:

Yeah these DLC are mad expensive. Civ V looks pretty interesting, but I’ll wait for the Actually Complete Edition before I wet my feet.

• mike2R says:

I’ve been saying that ever since being really underwhelmed with the launch game. But I saw Gods & Kings for £5* on Steam the other weekend and decided to give it a go.

Really really impressed. It just feels like it works now in ways I can’t really put my finger on. Possibly the addition of religion just fills it out a bit more in the early game, or maybe it is multiple patches of balancing and tweaking that have transformed it.

Not really sure, but its turned from a game that frankly bored me into one that has sucked several dozen hours out of my life in the last couple of weeks. It might, I say might, be better than Civ IV now.

Thinking about it I really didn’t like Civ IV on release as well, then rediscovered it after Beyond the Sword came out.

*Edit: Sweet Jesus, £20 normally… Well its good, but that is a *lot* to ask.

• Vandelay says:

This isn’t DLC, it is an expansion, like the good old days. £20 is pretty standard price for an expansion pack and I don’t think this seems to add any less than the Civ 4 ones. If anything, this seems substantially bigger than those.

Looking forward to this a lot. I expect little sleep come July.

• mike2R says:

£20 just seems a bad deal when there is another expansion coming out very shortly, also probably priced at £20. I’d think it unlikely that someone who owns neither expansion will be asked to pay £40 to get both, so it is probably best to wait.

• Vandelay says:

There is a third expansion? If there is, I can’t see that coming out until next year (Gods & Kings was about a year ago,) so I wouldn’t say it was too bad.

• mike2R says:

I meant this Brave New World as the coming expansion. I assume there will either be a bundle on this and Gods & Kings for not much more than £20, or Brave New World won’t even require it – pretty sure I only ever bought Beyond the Sword for Civ IV.

• dontnormally says:

This video doesn’t even mention 50+% of the additions, the big one being the new Cultural Victory / archeology.

6. LordMidas says:

I was always naff at diplomacy. They never accepted my terms, and they always wanted ridiculous costs for things like open borders. So I made friends when they asked and that was it.

Killing them all or cultural victories was pretty much how I played. I left the diplomacy part alone for the most part.

Brave New World could change all that. Excitement abounds!!

• Ringwraith says:

Diplomatic victory basically boils down to who has the most city states anyway. Who needs powerful friends when you just have lots of them?

• Harkkum says:

Indeed, I hope this actually does something to change diplomacy. It has always been really weak in Civilization, from its first incarnation to the last. At present, if you have more anything — be it cities, city state allies, wonders, armies — your rival nations will most likely denounce you in a massive wave of denouncements, with hostility abound throughout most of the late game. It makes no sense.

A warring nation may declare a war upon you, but would you so happen to have the forces to vanquish them and even capture a city or two, behold, you are the villain. Also, diplomacy and actual events of the world don’t go hand-in-hand, and with espionage and religion the situation got even more blurred. It seems as there are these countless sub-systems that don’t make a whole, and for a human player the diplomacy is always a losing game (e.g. are you willing to pay that 200 extra gold to enter into research agreement just because). If any of these concerns are corrected by the expansion, it will serve its function and instill some hope long lost for a functional diplomacy.

• Trithne says:

It looks like Diplomatic victory will still just be “Finish Patronage, amass money, buy all the city-states and win in an instant that no-one else can do anything to counter”

7. Lanfranc says:

For more info, Rev3Games recently did two features with quite a lot of details on the changes and new game elements. Looks very promising:

• Reapy says:

Wow thanks for those, it might be time to reinstall and look at getting the expansions. I honestly just played through civ 5 once and was so pissed there was no end game recap I swore I wouldn’t play again until it was patched in, and obviously it’s been collecting dust. I think its time to give it another test drive (currently seeing the brave new world archeology, very cool feature ).

*edit* ack, look at those prices… bookmarked for an eventual steam sale

• dontnormally says:

There is now an end game recap including animation of territory.

8. Mustard Wrap says:

Who makes you watch an advertisement before you can watch their advertisement? Gettin’ real tired of your shit, money-grubbers.

• stampy says:

on the bright side, a 30 second ad is only 1% of the time it takes to load up civilization v.

9. Lunsku says:

Have to say I don’t really get the belittiling of Gods and Kings in the article. It made a big difference across the board and made Civ 5 a very good game. Bought both day 1, but its with G&K I’ve played majority of my Civ 5.

10. Cytrom says:

Civ 5 expansions are pretty weird… they (GK and BNW) are basically moderately sized patches that alter and improve the base game and gameplay, as opposed to more traditional expansions and dlcs that take a different perspective of the same world and gameplay, or simply add more of the same.

I don’t think I’d like that if i bought the game on day 1, but for those who just picked it up recently in a “all-the-things-in-one pack” edition, get a way better experience… for a lot cheaper too.

11. Premium User Badge Biscuitry says:

If this is to be a diplomatic expansion, it had better include fixing the absolutely godawful multiplayer netcode. My friends and I wasted upwards of ten hours trying to get a game of G&K actually working between us.

12. dmastri says:

I don’t care about more content if the base game remains broken. I haven’t touched this steaming pile since release. Have they fixed any of these:

1) AI can’t play the game
    2) Multiplayer lags heavily, runs like garbage
    3) No mod support in mutliplayer

Bad enough they released a game without credible AI but the fact that multiplayer was such a jarringly bad experience sealed the deal.

• Strabo says:

Maybe you should touch that “steaming pile” and find out yourself?

13. Homu Homu says:

No amount of changes can fix a fundamentally broken game.

14. Tanner says:

A fair warning. Multiplayer combat is broken.

This game is unplayable in multiplayer unless you invoke some house rules or just exclude any combat from happening. Because whoever moves first can practically wipe out his opponents easily.