Look: Neverwinter Is Coming

By Adam Smith on June 17th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Yes, the MMO set in the Forgotten Realms is almost upon us, officially releasing on June 20th, even though it has been available since April. Despite their name, you may remember the Forgotten Realms from Baldur’s Gate or perhaps that one tabletop campaign you played in Derek Chortle’s bedroom, which is the other forgotten realm. John has been enjoying the game, despite the presence of other people, and if you want to know how it all works you should read about his adventures. Or you could watch the three minute ‘What Is Neverwinter?’ video below. It describes the game as a ‘love letter’.

I did not know there was a Castle Never but that’s probably because I paid very little attention in D&D classes.

, , .

1. Jesse L says:

In my experience designing an entire MMO is a bad way to let someone else know you have feelings for them.

Dev team, save yourself the trouble: just send an instant message next time.

• Sigh says:

My angel, my all, my own self only a few words today, and that too with pencil (with yours)-why this deep grief, where necessity speaks? #love #founderspack #buyastraldiamonds

lowprices says:

So you’re saying I should stop development on the MMO I’ve been making for you?

I wish you’d told me that earlier. I owe the state of Rhode Island a lot of money now.

DrScuttles says:

Perhaps I’m in too Lynch a mood, but upon reading the words “love letter” my thoughts instantly went to Blue Velvet.

• Phendron says:

Really? Do you know what a love letter is?

DrScuttles says:

It’s a bullet from a flipping gun, mucker! You receive a love letter from me, you’re chumped forever! You understand, chap? I’ll send you straight to hell, muggins!

Sometimes censorship can be amusing.

3. pupsikaso says:

Did they fix that issue with tanks and healers in high end dungeons? Because they have no right to be “releasing” a game where damage dealers tank the boss while tanks are relegated to trash duty, simply because two healer’s bubble stack to provide nearly 100% protection.

4. Radiant says:

Btw side bar your battlefield adverts are making the site run like a 3 legged dog. I’m sitting on a tiny colossus that evaporates body cells if they get to close and it still chugs on this site with the adverts on.

• RvLeshrac says:

All I see is Thief ads, which are using 0% CPU, and RPS is using less memory than any other tab I have open.

lowprices says:

I wrote a love letter once. It did not look like this.

6. scatterbrainless says:

While the game looks lovely, the trailer’s “Mr McMarketvoice” description hurt me. Why do all the members of the McMarketvoice family insist on throwing the word “action” at me, over and over, like its value is self-evident? “This flower-picking simulator is now the most intense, action-packed experience of floral disinterment ever conceived!”

7. Arglebargle says:

The PWE influence on NeverWinter really transformed the game into the slop that it is today. Cryptic’s original vision of the game would have been a far better proposition, even with their usual slack standards.

8. Heliocentric says:

Winter is coming.

9. Swoo says:

As someone who has gotten to sixty and played through all available content successfully (and quite easily. This is not a hard game, even by MMO standards.) I think people should keep away from this title.

The main problem is the companies attitude towards it’s customers, and it’s hardline stance to bilk every penny it can out of a user to the point they will completely change the mechanics of the game to push you towards purchases. I knew going into the game it had a cash shop, and I was cool with the fact that I may not purchase something or that I may spend real life cash on a virtual item. Didn’t bother me.

As I said, what does bother me is the fact they repeatedly present and/or make sweeping changes to force players into using the real life zen market (upcoming item change, and the pay-to-unbind feature that was ran out of alpha seems to be making a comeback.), the stealth nerf to ‘free’ items like the weekly prayer boxes (thus making people lean more heavily towards a 10 dollar cash purchase), and the fact that they have admitted to knowing about crippling exploits to the game and economy and never took any action unless they directly influenced the Zen (Cash Shop) store, until the forums became aware of it. I’m serious, it’s been turned into a forum sig on quite a few users.

The game philosophy is rather poor in that all dungeons are just boring waves of trash mobs that go beyond the speed-bump placements of other games, bosses operate exactly the same as one another: Drop AOE’s, summon a million adds. There’s no true dynamic phases, no real movement other than avoidance of said AOE’s, no true challenge in any of the fights even. Five people who can look at their feet, with 1-2 of those people having rolled a Control Wizard to throw mobs off the combat platforms equals a win every single time.

Class balance is decidedly imbalanced. In PvE you can go along with it and not feel it too much as the game doesn’t have the depth of options that there is much overlap to make it as noticeable. In PvP you realize just how little they prepared for the classes to compare to each other and then try to bash each others brains out. Combat is a three-button press ordeal full of broken skills, buggy feats, and some rather serious exploits such as Rogues figuring out a combo that disconnects you from the game at the last hit, Control Wizard powers that debuff the Wizard instead of the intended non-friendly target, and Guardian Fighters who have infinite block meters (and in a certain gear setup do more pure and burst damage than the lone Striker class in the game.)

The players are an online community, so you expect some good with the bad, and trolling and general gold spam littering the channels. What I didn’t expect was the sense of entitlement and elitism that permeates the game. I have a 12k Gear Score as my Cleric, literally best in slot. The Gear Score matters because the dungeons do not let you queue for them unless you meet a certain number. It also matters because parties will not accept you into the group unless you meet a certain number. It has also gotten to the point that if you do not have one of the two augment companions (end game pets that enhance your statistics, all for a million astral or some Zen) groups do not want you. Heroes of the North and Founders (Pre-Paid package players) also exhibit an exceptional amount of entitlement towards the game that I found shocking, and had never really experienced in any of my MMO games. (Some Drow Founders and the like are very good people and I take pleasure in playing with them. A look over the forums though and you will find multiple comments along the lines of ‘I gave you money for this, I deserve to have this…’ and that just makes me shake my head.

The claim of a Beta is a sham. They have been accepting money – and pushing for more purchases – from a cash shop since Day One. This has just been a shitty release, and I could take that as most MMO’s have rocky starts on opening days and expansion launches. The way they handle it though makes me happy I and my friends have moved on. If you are still enjoying the game, good for you. I don’t wish shitty entertainment on anyone, but I’m afraid people are getting the wrong idea of the product PW has actually pushed out, and how they want to develop it.

TL DR; Tough shit, I don’t do recaps.

• nearly says:

I was really put off balance by the community, from the people saying that Founders was worth it, to the people saying that anyone speaking positively about Founders was paid by the devs, etc. It seemed very childish overall, though I’m sure there are quite a few older/mature players that likely stay out of chat and thus remain practically invisible.

10. Chris says:

I found the game to be quite moronic and a travesty of D&D.

11. Tayh says:

Is it the kind of love letter where your love breaks up with you?
    Because Neverwinter Online and 4ED is the worst D&D iteration I’ve ever had the displeasure to play.

• Darkwings says:

Calling this game an “iteration of D&D” is really, really stretching it.
      They didn’t even bother to make an accurate portrait of the actual FR 4e setting.
      Anyone familiar with the setting will at least raise an eyebrow just by listening to the npcs in the ‘main city hub’.

12. paddymaxson says:

A fun MMO that has basically nothing to do with D&D and even less to do with being “free”. Basically unplayable PvP if you’re a free player and the questing is WoW style go kill 10 guys.

The Foundry (their most important feature) is hamstrung.

Their cash shop, even with recent reductions in prices is ludicrous and stupid and the founder’s packs are ripoffs.

Oh and they routinely just close support requests without any response and tell you to open a new request if you’re still having the problem.

13. BobsLawnService says:

Nevermind the payment model, Neverwinter is just a terrible game abusing the name of D&D.

I tried to take a break from Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO) and was bored to death of Neverwinter by the time I got to level 12. The game epitomises braindead, drool out of the corner of the mouth, mindless clicking. Character customisation doesn’t exist and the dungeons are just an endless shooting gallery with no style or variation.

Seriously, give DDO a shot if you want a D&D flavoured MMO. It is far from being perfect but it is a game as opposed to a pure skinner box designed to make you spend money.