Valve Are Releasing A Game

By Adam Smith on June 17th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

It’s true! The screenshot has probably already spoiled the surprise but, yeah, it’s DOTA 2, a game that I already have installed on my PC and once had twenty invites for. Despite the access I have been granted to the long-running beta, the only things I really know about DOTA are the nuggets of information in RPS posts. For example, I know that a ridiculous number of people play every day but the League of Legends community still outnumbers them a billion to one. I also know that there’s a tutorial and that it is a terrible tutor. Maybe that’s one of the things that will be improved this summer when the beta becomes brave, truthful and unselfish, and transforms into a real game?

PC Gamer reckon the full release will precede super-tournament The International, which begins August 7th. Reckon I’ll be good enough to win if I play the tutorial every day between now and then? Yeah. That’ll probably do it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Dog Pants says:

Am I the only person that likes DOTA2 a bit? Who plays every now and then? Everyone seems to either love it and play it to the exclusion of all else, or despise it with every fibre of their being. Speak out all you moderate DOTA2 fanciers!

• Xerophyte says:

I’ve played two matches and hated every second of both of them; I felt much the same about the original, HoN and LoL. I’ve also got about 500 hours logged on Steam from spectating over the last couple of years and have spent maybe 100€ total on tournament passes.

I’m not really sure where “lovely as a spectator sport” places me on the Great Dota Fancying Scale.

• Zanpa says:

This is how I play Starcraft 2. I bought Wings of Liberty, played one custom game with friends, two games on the ladder, and went back to watching commentated replays and tournaments.
        I never miss the final phases of any major tournament, have my favourite players, and have spent easily several hundreds, if not thousands, of hours watching the game being played by pros.

I never found Dota interesting to watch, though, but I completely understand how you feel towards it.

• AngusPrune says:

I find the DOTA-clones intensely boring to watch. It seems like as spectator sports, they have most in common with all those sports that only Americans like, Yank Football and Baseball. Nothing exciting actually happens in them, but there’s a whole lot of inside baseball jabbering the commentators can do. I’m sure the fact that Garthnork the Unstoppable is making his boots of awesomeness +1 is interesting to some people, but I couldn’t give a shit.

• Xerophyte says:

Yeah, I understand that watching Garthnork the Unstoppable making his boots of awesomeness +1 as early as 12 minutes and 35 seconds isn’t going to be everyone’s idea of a good time, I’m not trying to proselytize here or anything. It’s playing tin soldiers turned into an intentionally obtuse video game for people with overpriced computers, hardly the people’s sport.

I just personally find it fascinating, including the details on item gains. Minute little shifts in how a lane is pushed can make or break a game, as lane control feeds into items which feed into kills and eventual victory. Item choices and timings are interesting to me as an aspect of how the game progresses and what they reveal about a team’s tactics and approach for the rest of the game.

• Ringwraith says:

They are not good spectator games, especially as it’s all in the numbers and the vast amount of knowledge you need to appreciate things.
          Stick to RTSs and fighting games for spectating blindly.

• Dunebug6 says:

I don’t know, I and the large number of people who watch LoL and DOTA 2 tournaments would disagree.

I’m done with being sarcastic, I’m a player of both and knowing what I know about the games make me find them extremely fun to watch for me at least, it’s more of having the knowledge to know what the things all do, and having the right commentators who explain things that you don’t know about the best.

I’ve showed it to a couple people and had mixed responses, some enjoying it alot regardless of only playing the game a couple times, another who just didn’t understand it at all, it’s all in preference.

• Ringwraith says:

Well, of course it comes down to preference, but it is still not a good spectator game, it just is not geared for that.
            I did not mean to come across as writing them off completely, just you have to know what you are getting into. (Which is they are typically bad ideas and there are likely better options).

• innociv says:

Dota2 is absolutely geared toward being a spectator game.

So many of the decisions toward its design, such as the interface, how spell effects look, and so on, are all there to be clear to spectators.

I don’t know where you get this from. You’re just making it up because you don’t like the genre.

• neurosisxeno says:

DotA2 was built from the ground up to accomodate spectators. That was one of the main failing of… well… every game I can remember other than Counter-Strike (HLTV was years ahead of the curve). Some of the earliest versions of the game (around the time of TI1 which was 2 years ago) spectator mode was around, and allowed you to spectate and hear different commentators in-game, which was a huge step forwards considering most games were still relying on streaming from a seperate location (Twitch TV) at the time. You can drop into friends games and watch them play on a slight delay from the main menu. There are several options for camera settings, commentary, and fog of war settings. The was was well designed for spectating.

As for the non physical aspect, the commentators of big events have gotten a LOT better over the past 2 years. People like Ayesee, Tobiwan, GoDz, and Lumi are comperable to most SC2 commentators in my opinion, and even the lessar known people like Sheever and LD have made huge improvement. I’m actually just remembering that in the lead up to TI3, Valve has implemented a ton of new spectator options, that allow for commentators to give pop-up messages with facts about the teams playing (e.g. Team X has faced Team Y on 3 ocassions in the past month and has lost all 3 games; or Hero X has been picked 32 times since patch 6.78 and has a win rate of 85%) and gives updated pop-ups as heroes grab items. Needless to say, the game is very well designed for spectators, and if it weren’t for DotA 2, both SC2 and LoL–the competing eSports titles at the time–would have made minimal improvement over the past two years.

• DrScuttles says:

I figured if Valve were making a game, it’d probably be pretty decent. Certainly worth trying out anyway. Managed to get into the beta, played it on and off for maybe 10 hours total. Just didn’t click with me. It’s not bad and I don’t hate it, it just has a massive learning curve and (when I played) a very unwelcoming crowd in random games.
      Almost wish I could have a stronger opinion of it, just to be a part of the cool kids.

• bartmon says:

When I first started playing DOTA2, I found a very accurate quote on a learning guide:

“DOTA 2 doesn’t have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.”

This is the first “MOBA” game I got into. 500 hours later, and I’m still learning a hell of a lot. This game has an insane amount of depth, but the initial hurdle is SOOOO steep to get into it.

• jellydonut says:

I too am a ‘moderate’ Dota 2 player. I play it very casually, but enjoy following the various tournaments.

I am happy Dota 2 is finally seeing an actual release – now Valve can take the fight to Riot in territories like Korea where LoL is currently king. It can also utterly take over China, where many people still play Dota 1 or have gone to LoL.

• zind says:

I played it for a bit and liked it well enough, but was mostly driven away by the people who play it like it’s a job and continuously complained about their team being gimped by a casual.

I don’t really hold any ill will toward those players, as I have suffered the same frustrations in some pvp games as well, but I have no desire to consistently be the weak link just because I don’t spend my spare time either playing Dota 2 or reading about Dota 2.

I have heard whispers that the ladder system has improved since then, however, so maybe I am due another dip into the game as well.

• DrScuttles says:

edit: reply fail

• InternetBatman says:

Same here.

• JonnyBoyWonder says:

Ah nuts. Me too

• DiTH says:

They will never fix the community in the MOBA games unless everyone gets banned for ever from every MOBA out there.And around 20 people are left playing.
        I really like MOBA games and i have played around 250 hours of Dota2.But i always play around 20-30 hours and have to take a break for a few weeks from the game cause of all the whining.
        My new tactic is writing on the beggining of the game that im a total noob and i suck completely so ppl stop whining later.

• Zanpa says:

I would play it, but I’m actually afraid that playing it from time to time would not be fun.
      It seems that there is a steep learning curve in those games, and I have never played a MOBA. I don’t really want to endure a hundred hours before being allowed to have fun, and I don’t want to invest this amount of time in a video game anymore.

• Graerth says:

You can, but you might want to have someone to play with to tell some very basic things and give tips and advice during the game. There’s rps people playing it (i don’t play with them) who’ll propably be friendly enough to help, or if they wont i guess i could at some point if you’re interested.

• Synesthesia says:

I started like that too. But trust me, get a good semi-constant group with a decent douche-to-not-douche ratio and it’ll grow on you. Fast. It’s a goddamn black hole once you start seeing its fabric in detail.

• RedViv says:

I’m somewhat there, though I am one of those insane wallies who like both LoL and DotA, each for their strengths, and see their weaknesses, thus making a definite decision between the two seem like that between Gaelic and rest-of-the-world footie.

• Mr Chug says:

It’s good at what it wants to do, but not everything it wants to do is necessarily good in my eyes.

LoL still captures most of my time for this sort of thing because I find it less elitist and more of my friends play it. I don’t see that (or anything else) changing drastically with a full release.

• PopeRatzo says:

DOTA 2 looks like a great game to me. I’d play it a lot if I could figure out how. I’ve taken a few runs at it and just can’t seem to get the hang of what’s going on. A good tutorial level would really make all the difference in the world.

• dmoe says:

Check out this video series:

He goes over the basics, terminology and just about anything a new player would need to know.

• neurosisxeno says:

I cannot check but assuming that’s a link to the Purge Plays series, I cannot recommend that series enough to people. Purge has gotten exponentially better at teaching, and any videos of his you can find are top notch and well informed. Purge Casts a Pub is also a good one to watch, because he searches for very low tier matches and commentates them explaining exactly what they are doing “wrong” and why you should avoid it.

• darkChozo says:

I’ve played DOTA 2 a grand total of once, I think. Somehow I’ve gotten a reasonably comprehensive knowledge base from nigh-obsessive video watching. I been meaning to double my game count, but I keep getting bogged down into too-many-game-syndrome (also I like LoL, so there’s that).

• Cleave says:

I played about half a match. Seemed boring.

• Vandelay says:

I really enjoy DOTA2 and would say it was my go to MP game of the moment, but I wouldn’t say I play it to the extend that it stops me playing other games. I am perfectly happy to just play 2 or 3 games a week, be that with a couple of friends or with all randoms.

Some say that you need to play it obsessively to really get anything out of it, but I just don’t find it that complicated. I like to think it is just because I am really smart!

(To be honest, most of the complexities come from the idiotic UI, something that I doubt Valve would change, as it would annoy too many of the fanatics.)

• ZHsquad says:

I really like it. I mean, I understood that I had to play 40 matches with bots before I EVER tried with people. The skill curve is obvious. People just jump into a match without practice games with bots and then get sad and angry that they a.) suck and b.) people get annoyed that they suck. You have to play a lot at this to get even ok.

• Bweahns says:

Dota 2 is about pain, a lot of pain and angst. Pain and angst with occasional periods of deep satisfaction and fun.

• Riggaboo says:

656hrs in (probably 3/4 game time 1/4 tourney watching) and I still suck. But I keep coming back for more. It’s pretty much essential to have at least 1 or 2 friends that are willing to play about as often as yourself. Amazing game, brutal learning curve.

• TehK says:

Erm, here, me.
      I jumped the DOTA Train only a few weeks ago and now I’m learning the game and it’s fun. Never played the original Dota or LoL or HoN before and my only attempt at MOBAs was the (actually awesome) Awesomenauts.

I can’t see the appeal as spectator sport yet, but so far I’m having a great time learning all the heroes and items and trying to improve a bit every time.

Also the “Coop-vs-Bots” matchfinder is a great way to find relaxed games and just learn the game. Very relaxed people in there – quite contrary to the infamous reputation of those communities.

• seniorgato says:

I play it very rarely. It’s good, I’ll say that, but…. It’s laggy for me. I mean, really, really laggy. And LoL isn’t. So I play LoL.

• jackofcrowns says:

I am one of the few people I know that will plays both League and Dotes on the reg. I prefer Dota. It is more challenging and faster paced. It is not as well designed as League is, though, and I completely understand how players new to the genre would prefer the latter. I’m a moba junkie, though. I enjoy Smite and, most recently, Solstice on the iOS (please download and play this free mobile moba, it is a pleasantly surprising experience, especially considering it is published by Zynga).

2. RedViv says:

There are only two of the original heroes remaining in development, so I figured that this would happen just around The International. Nice.

3. Synesthesia says:

why cant i stop playing this game?

4. Stevostin says:

“but the League of Legends community still outnumbers them a billion to one”

There is not enough people on earth for that to be true :P There are typically 350K players simultaneously on Dota 2. People often mixes up things with Riot’s figures. AFAIK there are roughly 15 millions registered LoL player, 1.4 plays a day and average amount of player is 500 K. So that’s not even two to one. Now assuming those aren’t latest figures from Riot and that rising figures for Valve must be at least partially to Riot’s expenses, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were nowadays on par.

Riot will need to do something very clever to still be the top dog in a year from now, that’s for sure.

• Synesthesia says:

i think i have that hat around here… yeah! here it is. You might wonder why there’s a WHOOSH strapped to it via this gigantic spring. You’ll know in time.

• RedViv says:

Here are three options you can choose:

Adam’s comment was a joke
      Adam made a jest with that ridiculous figure
      It was but a little quip from Adam

• Stevostin says:

Here is one option (hard pick)

- I know that it’s a joke, but I also know it relies on a misconception that LoL has substantially more player that Dota 2 which deserves to be corrected with data if possible.

What do you pick ? :P

• RedViv says:

But that’s what the joke was about, I think. That LoL can’t really have THAT many more players anyway. So all that info dumping was a bit… Well, odd.

• scatterbrainless says:

Given that Adam prefaced his comment by also noting his own ignorance beyond that of RPS comment hearsay, it seems that the statement perhaps referred to the fact of this perceived discrepancy, rather than the truth of such a state of affairs.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

You missed option four:

LoL players really do outnumber DotA2 players a billion to one. Possibly by allowing sea sponges to play LoL.

• darkChozo says:

Way too lazy to look them up, but from what I recall your figures are undershooting by a couple multipliers.

Also Riot has a secret cabal of a couple quadrillion roboplayers that artificially inflate the player count, of course. 500,000,000,000,000 players and counting!

• Stevostin says:

Actually what happened is the opposite. Some people made wrong headlines with some LoL figures like “15 millions concurrent players”. Some people just have trouble with quantities : passed a point they consider “a lot” is just “a lot”. To some other, reading that LoL would have more single concurrent player thant WoW’s top monthly player amount or 30 times the average concurrent CS player is simply ridiculous. That’s why I feel compelled to fix those vast misrepresentation of quantities. There is not 15 billion chinese people, and there are no 15 million concurrent player of LoL. By a long long shot.

And for the record, figures above are based on some quick googling. If you’re afraid on getting tired it’s one minute roughly. :)

500 K is a 2011 peak ? Ok, I wouldn’t be surprised for Dota 2 to already be the top dog. :P

• lowprices says:

I don’t think the exact number of players each game has is THAT important, unless you’re an employee of Valve or Riot.

• darkChozo says:

But how am I supposed to provide self-validation for my choice of game without proving it’s objectively most popular? Jeez.

• lowprices says:

Do what everyone else does, and bellow at strangers on the internet about how they’re idiots for not having the same opinion as you.

• Stevostin says:

To me it matters because of the eSport thing. We perfectly now that with years only one will survive.
            Also it matters because truth matters. Either you don’t speak at all about how many plays each, either you do it according to datas…

• mickygor says:

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. There’s only one true eggball sport out there, but somehow American Football and Aussie Rules still cling on.

• darkChozo says:

15 million concurrent is definitely wrong, but from what I recall 500,000 is as well (didn’t DOTA 2 reach that peak like a month ago? IIRC, of course.). The most recent LoL statistics were from October or November last year and had something like 35 million registered accounts and 1.5 million average concurrent players. Google the stats, they’re not hard to find, or at least they weren’t the last time I looked.

EDIT: fail on my part, I overlooked your post entirely I guess.

DOUBLE EDIT: Because it annoyed me that I don’t have perfect statistical memory, here’s the most recent stats from Riot, circa last October (warnings about self-provided statistics apply). Relevant stats are:
          70 million accounts
          32 million active monthly
          12 million active daily
          3 million peak concurrent

So I was inaccurate too! Yay for memory.

TRIPLE EDIT: On the DOTA side of things, I was thinking of this. So about 330,000 peak concurrent players.

• Stevostin says:

If that’s so (and why not) you and Adam are right and LoL is quite insanely big. Thx to you to have taken the time to find proper figures.

• darkChozo says:

Yeah, no problem, it was mostly regurgitating numbers I’ve seen before (the fact that Riot only seems to release any stats whatsoever once a year makes that easy).

And I would note that the statistics aren’t all that they appear; LoL has pretty rampant smurfing (they have more registered accounts than Steam as a whole but almost certainly don’t have as many uniques), so everything but peak concurrent players is probably bunk. DOTA also has a slightly higher barrier to entry due to having to track down one of the abundant beta keys, so there’s that.

• InternetBatman says:

Someone already did all that. Both are getting played quite a lot, but as of April LoL had at least 1.5 daily players for one player of Dota 2.

Also, chill out. It’s a joke.

• Stevostin says:

There are 40 jokes like that every day on RPS. I like them. You like them. But does it mean we can’t discuss one single question without first celebrating any joke that came with it?

Thx for the link anyway =)

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I think this comment is a metaphor for why I dislike this genre.

• jackofcrowns says:

“not enough people to be true”.

It’s a joke, kid. When are we gonna learn that jokes do not need to be fact-checked?

5. JonClaw says:

“A reflex of simultaneous inhalation of air and stretching of the eardrums, followed by exhalation of breath.”

6. Malibu Stacey says:

1 – this was posted 3 days ago on Reddit.
    2 – they at least had the good grace to post a link to a scan of the magazine article where such claims were made.

7. Captain Joyless says:

Comparing DOTA to LOL is pretty ridiculous since the entire point of this article is that DOTA 2 hasn’t even been properly released yet.

8. Aberaham says:

Hopefully it will come with its more appropriate title “DOTA HD Edition” due to Valve’s unwillingness to improve on the original in any way bar graphics.

• Brun says:

Surely they made some desperately needed interface and control improvements over the WC3 mod? The highest on my list would be disabling hero autoattack so you didn’t have to keep spamming right click on open ground to prevent your champion from charging to his death.

• Maniac says:

Obvious troll is obvious.
      GTFO.

9. lowprices says:

I always wanted to try this game, but was put off by the stories of how friendly and welcoming the community is. Personally I prefer my game communities to be abusive, petty and cruel.

10. aliksy says:

Played it for a little bit, felt a bit slow and detached. Maybe it grows on you?

11. DrScuttles says:

Sometimes it’s easy to forget that Valve make games.

• misterT0AST says:

…If you don’t play their newest games every day that is.
      I know a bunch of frequent Counter Strike and Dota players who see the development of their game advance every week and have very well in mind that Valve make games.

• DrScuttles says:

That’s true. But to people who gravitate towards single player games, Valve are all like “yeah there’s something in the pipeline, but hey, trading cards, and oh have you accepted Linux as your personal lord and saviour?”

• Maniac says:

Now thats a daft statement if I’ve ever seen one!
          They make ridiculously great singleplayer (and multiplayer) AAA games, yet… They’re about 300 employees total.
          Now please look at something like CoD, or GTA, and see how many developers are on that.
          And then think about just how many games Valve has released… They’re really quite sodding fast. And with Portal 2 and HL and whatnot, theres plenty of replayability and a ridiculous amount of great mods to play.
          Aaaaand we’ll hopefully see HL3 this year… Maybe at Gamescom?
          I hope.
          Please? ,_,

• lowprices says:

It’s funny because people believe Half Life 3 actually exists.

• DrScuttles says:

Yeah, I was being daft. My point is that Valve seem to be focused on social games (like, good ones I mean) and weird additions to Steam. Which is fine, but there must be a ton of people like me who have absolutely no interest in that. Not that Valve owes us a damn thing. But still.

• stupid_mcgee says:

300 is a lot. Granted, Valve does spread their forces about, but to give some context: Infinity Ward has around 150 employees. Treyarch has around 250. Ubisoft Montreal, best known for cranking out the Assassin’s Creed and Tom Clancy games, has 2,500. id Software has 200+, Bethesda Softworks has 350+, and Bungie has 350+.

As for the team size for Steam, it really is freakishly small and they ONLY work on Steam, whereas a lot of other Valve employees jump around on various projects. IIRC, there’s only like 20 employees for Steam. Which is an improvement. There used to only be 8 people on the Steam team back in, I believe, 2010.

12. Dowr says:

Well piss; now my 40+ invites will be useless.

13. Seafort says:

Tried a few matches but the community isn’t exactly welcoming so gave up and uninstalled it.

I got told i was a noob which I was and to just leave the match which I did. Not played it since.
    I’m not having a 30+ year old disguised as a snotty nosed kid talk to me like that.

I can see how these types of games get a bad reputation.

• tobecooper says:

I’ve started playing Dota2 on Saturday, and played 5 matches since then. I’ve met players who were more noob than me and less noob than me. Had been shouted at once when a guy kept telling me to ‘b’ which turned out to be ‘Back! Go back to base! The evil 25 level person is coming to kill you!’

Admittedly, I did some tutorial-videos watching and played on East/West Europe servers so that may be the reason for the lack of heat I received.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Bot matches have been in Dota 2 for quite some time. You can even play a bot match with other actual players on your team if you don’t want to play alone.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Yeah, that’s the phase I’m in. Started playing singleplayer/all-AI matches on easiest setting. Once I felt comfortable, played a few team vs. bots matches on easiest setting. Went back to the AI matches a few times, and once I felt comfortable on the easiest setting, I went up to medium difficulty. Haven’t made the jump to hard, but once I do and I feel like I’m somewhat competent, then I’ll probably start doing actual matches.

Team vs bots is a great thing, even if the bots are kind of dumb. It’s helped myself, and numerous others I’ve played with, understand the game a lot better than just mucking about with the AI by yourself, and a much better time than getting yelled at for ruining someone else’s game because you don’t have a clue what you’re doing.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Sadly you’re probably one of the only people who actually do this. From what I’ve seen 99% of people think that learning the game mechanics and/or new heroes is best done in regular matchmaking games with 9 other people rather than in the game mode created exactly for this..

I’ve played games where there are people whose last 10+ games all on the same hero, mostly losses and they’re still terrible with that hero even though they have 1k+ games played.

• 23YearOldBedWetr says:

So you actually listened to him ? Weak

14. Tei says:

But… this is not Lola!

15. Snids says:

Weirdest launch ever.

16. Shooop says:

There’s a reason people have started saying “Valve doesn’t make games anymore”. This doesn’t help change that perception.

17. killer1one says:

As good as it might be this is the one Valve game i don’t care about. And i am honestly a bit over e-sports in general. I get the occasional desire of watch an starcraft 2 match. But honestly i am over MMOs and RTSs which eat time. I am more into things that end, because they allow me to play more things. NOthing wrong with the opposite though. So basically i love RPGs and hate MMOs….

• Captain Joyless says:

DOTA isn’t an RTS. You don’t build a base nor train units.

It’s more like an team action RPG. You have a single hero who gets experience and gold. You put points in skills and buy items. Eventually your team destroys and enemy base, or they destroy yours. Playing it takes 40 minutes, +/- 20 minutes.

Seems to be pretty much exactly what you’re asking for.

• killer1one says:

Maybe i did not explain myself well:

1- I did not say DOTA 2 was an RTS. I know is a MOBA, and i have seen matches i know how it goes.
        2- DOTA 2 is not a quick in and out thing. You could say the same thing about RTSs. If you don’t want to be “that guy” that ruins every game for everyone you have to put in the time.

• Captain Joyless says:

? Why would you play with humans if you don’t know how to play? Play against the bots until you can easily win against them. That’s why the game has “play against bots.” The game even has “find a co-op match against bots” so you can play with humans without getting owned by other humans in an aggressive fashion.

I don’t know why people insist on thinking that they’re somehow forced to jump right into matchmaking.

• Timmytoby says:

Yes, and you still need to invest a lot of time first playing against bots, then playing against humans who will let you now in no uncertain terms why your mother should have had a miscarriage, and then, somewhere in the far future, you will be at least moderatly competent and will only be compared to the excretions of rapists every second or third game.

But: If you dare to stop playing for a couple weeks, you will forget almost everything about the game mechanics, and upon your return be again forced to invest a lot of hours into relearning everything.

Which means: He’s right. If you wish to play DOTA 2 you will have to invest a lot of time or have to learn to live with being compared to the sexual deviation of clowns in honeysmeared lingerie.

18. Bleiz says:

For all you Dota noobs, this link (http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck), will make you less of a noob and make the game much more enjoyable for you. The Dota 2 community is the unfriendliest I have seen in my life. They will say the most horrible things about you, your parents and go into details on how they would wish for you to die in the most gruesome ways, all because you made a mistake. But by knowing a bit more about the game beforehand, you will get (slightly) less flamed.

It’s not that long and quite a pleasant read, and when your done with the basics, might as well pay this site a visit (http://www.dotafire.com/) where you can learn about builds and the different heroes.

19. Eschatos says:

Seems unlikely. There are still 11 heroes left to be ported over, and given the current rate of porting there’s no way they’ll finish in time.

• neurosisxeno says:

A lot of the remaining heroes–and even the recent additions–weren’t exactly staple heroes (Medusa, Bristleback, Elder Titan–all not exactly commonly played heroes). Some of them are also heroes that have been continually reworked because they were either fundamentally overpowered or underpowered (Phoenix, Fire Panda). Some are just flat out new (Phoenix Remake, Frost Wyrm dude). Others are just ridiculous and Valve wanted to save that headache for later (FUCK. TECHIES. FUCK). If you look at the heroes added timeline, or even just a handful of the heroes from around the time of TI1 and TI2, you’ll notice some big ones were added first (Sand King, Lich, Pudge, Anti-Mage) were important staple heroes of the game, and by the time of TI2 they were getting to heroes that saw less play, but were still important to the game on a competative level (Naga Siren, Morphling, Naix, Nyx Assassin, Invoker).

20. HisDivineOrder says:

Unfortunate that Valve started with DOTA 2. Valve doesn’t do games with 3′s. No Episode 3, Half-Life 3, Team Fortress 3, Left4Dead 3.

And no DOTA 3. So I guess this is the last DOTA from Valve. Hope this one’s great.

21. Phasma Felis says:

Valve’s mad quest to only own franchises that are on number 2 continues.

Half-Life, Team Fortress, Portal, Dota…everyone wondered why L4D2 came out before L4D even had time to cool. IT’S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR NOSE, PEOPLE.

22. JessMcGuire6 says:

Reagan. I just agree… Martin`s blog is flabbergasting, yesterday I picked up a new Renault 4 when I got my check for $6839 this – 4 weeks past and also ten thousand lass month. without a doubt it is the most-financialy rewarding I have ever had. I started this 7-months ago and pretty much immediately started making more than $84… per-hour. I use this website, Bow6.com

23. Timmytoby says:

I appreciate Dota 2 very much, but I will probably never play it again.
    If I’m in the mood for a MOBA I’ll rather start up LoL. It just seems more forgiving toward players who want only the occasional match.
    Almost all the things that differ between the two just make it exhausting to play Dota 2. The stupid donkey, denying, several shops all over the place, etc. It’s just tiring and sometimes seems specifically aimed to make everything require the most frantic succession of clicks imaginable.

I might just getting old though.

24. strangeloup says:

I came to the conclusion that I don’t really like MOBAs some time ago, I think mostly because I actually want to do other things, and also if I can’t be at least passable at a game within a couple of hours of starting, I haven’t really got time for it. Some of the figures I’ve seen are ridiculous, like 50 hours of practicing with bots and 50 hours of reading various sites and watching videos or spectating, just to reach a basic level of competence. I just think that if I’m going to spend 100 hours honing a skill, I’d like it to be something with a bit of a broader application than ‘playing one specific computer game’.

Of the ones I played, League of Legends was the least worst, to the point where I kept buying skins and characters and stuff despite not being very good at it; Heroes of Newerth had the biggest contigent of arseholes I’ve ever encountered in a game (and thus I ended up playing all of about one match before uninstalling it, given that there’s no versus bots option); and DOTA2 was somewhere in the middle.

Valve keep giving me invites for it so I’ve got about fifty thousand of the buggers if anyone wants one, but as far as I can tell it being invite-only is pretty much just a formality at this point.

• elderman says:

Hey, I just saw your post after reading ezwip’s new post below. I doubt anyone’s checking this thread, but I’d love an invite for Dota 2. Don’t know how it works, but I’m on Steam… [edit] and Nearly has sent me an invite. Thanks, Nearly [/edit].

25. ezwip says:

This is a really great game. I have nothing bad to say about it. The only thing I could complain about are random people playing it which can be irritating when you are grouped with someone blaming you for sixty minutes. If you click on their name and ignore them you won’t have to deal with it anymore. Some people might say you’ll miss some valuable information from them like… you suck, uninstall, and kill yourself but that’s up to you really. In my opinion this is the best game ever created and Valve has done an amazing job.

Comment on this story