Videogames! Disastercake Kickstarts Soul Saga

By Jim Rossignol on June 17th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

The world of crowd-funding is having its cash-glands tickled by more than one JRPG-inspired project right now, and we’ve talked about the CGI-fantasies of TBT: The Black Tower on a few occasions recently, and that is an ambitious-looking project indeed. I have to admit, though, that I far more enticed by the rather more cartoon-angled notions of the slightly less grand looking (but all the more alluring) Soul Saga. This hearkens to a slightly earlier era of the JRPG, and is all the stronger for it. The lovely, twee, flash-cut art style is being bolstered by references to the mechanics of a bunch of games beloved by the TV-box gamers.

Soul Saga even claims “professional voice acting by popular names such as Todd Haberkorn (Natsu from Fairy Tail) and Kira Buckland”, although I have no idea who those people are. Check out the pitch below!

I don’t know if calling your one-man company Disastercake is a good if you want thousands of people to back you, but there we are.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. pakoito says:

Kawaii!!

2. BambamCZ says:

If someone named Disasterpiece can make good music, why shouldn’t Disastercake make good game? I haven’t played a JRPG in ages and recently got an urge so I bought several of the big ones that were on PS2 and I have fond memories of old Final Fantasies or classics like Xenogears and Vagrant Story. I’ll keep an eye on this one.

3. whale says:

Ah, another game on kickstarter with a “demo” filled with things bought on the unity asset store! Quickly everyone give them your money so they can afford all of it!

• psuedonymous says:

It’s almost as if ‘demo’ was short for ‘demonstration’ or something! Using available assets is certainly faster and easier (and nicer looking!) than Developer Art.

4. Drayk says:

It’s not cool to mock guys who can’t grow a proper beard…

5. Tuckey says:

I don’t like voice acting in JRPGS. Or “episodes”.

6. Dominic White says:

Christ, dude.. It’s okay. Just show us where on the doll Japan touched you.

7. bigjig says:

You sound mad. Are you mad?

8. aliksy says:

Holy wow. You could have made legitimate points about what you like or don’t like about jrpgs and their associated tropes, but instead you just took a big dump on your keyboard.

9. aliksy says:

Obligatory: The female’s armor doesn’t look very effective.

10. kwyjibo says:

This has already done better than The Black Tower because its not on indiegogo.

11. Lanfranc says:

Cool story, bro.

12. Pamplemousse says:

EVERY OPINION MUST BE AN ANGRY ONE

• RedViv says:

Aye. Quick, put it in the cage with all the other entities prone to unprompted outbursts of hate! Soon we’ll have enough to make a valid scientific study!

• Sian says:

Or for some entertaining, not yet illegal blood sports. We could make tons of money with that!

13. Viroso says:

Black Tower and this one, I like JRPGs and they don’t seem so appealing to me. I think either go for 2D sprites, and not with RPG Maker graphics nor ugly lazy passing for retro, so do that OR go for ugly lazy passing for retro 3D.

Nobody’s doing ugly lazy passing for retro 3D. Everyone using textures that don’t look muddy at all, using resolutions higher than 240p, using antialiasing, real time shadows, etc. C’mon people, start doing some ugly ass retro 3D. I mean this without any sarcasm.

14. Disastercake says:

Thanks for posting this, Jim! I really appreciate it. =) It’s an honor to see Soul Saga on RPS!

15. lowprices says:

It seems like every time you post a comment you’re in a blind rage about the topic at hand. Are you ok? Do you need a hug?

16. Wedge says:

On the one hand…. meeeeeeh. On the other, MORE AIVI TRAN SOUNDTRACKS. But I already backed Cryamore, so I’m good for that.

17. Nixitur says:

Geez, dude, calm down. Just calm down. Calm d-
    Please put down the knife.
    Yes, that knife. Please put it down.
    You’re scaring me, man… Please calm down.
    Stay away from me!
    Aaaaggghhh-
    *sounds of stabbing*

18. dagudman says:

hmmm…. meh….

19. Coriform says:

It looks EXTREMELY rough around the edges, and I’m not sure $60k is going to do much to fix that.

Also, it doesn’t help that some of the best assets are stock Unity purchases.

20. Xander77 says:

So the title screen looks like the Final Fantasy Tactics one, and the main character looks like and whatever, I don’t think there’s a single character that isn’t an FF rip-off. I hope they get funded, and then squeenix sues their heart out.

21. Ahtaps says:

Your culture sounds fun. Is that the one that celebrates violence and mediocrity and objectifies women while providing power fantasies for young males? The one that has a fondness for the colour brown and can’t seem to innovate beyond putting a gun in your hand and telling you where you need to go, who you need to shoot and if walking and talking proves too much for you, the game will do it for you. You don’t need to have an identity, you just need to be another bald space marine with a big gun, punching other men while shooting someone else in the face and fist-bumping your bro because AMERICA yeah!

You totally convince me you’re intellectual and deep, so cute and kind and loving because you totally dissed a culture based on common stereotypes. Yup. TOTESALLY.

• Lazarus_Soma says:

To be completely fair though, the majority of JRPG’s are fairly mediocre as hell, based solely on tried and true cliches as much as the brown manshoots of western society.
      Not to mention that japan has a fairly firm grasp on that whole misogyny and power fantasy shtick to the point that it’s almost a meta joke.

22. Venkman says:

Too angry. Your points may be valid, but I’d be willing to bet that you yourself fall prey to thinking that mediocre AAA Western games are some of mankind’s greatest works of art, in the same way that the people you speak of think that FF7 and Chrono Trigger are this generation’s Shakespeare.

So what’s your poison – Fallout 3, Uncharted, BioShock, point-and-click adventure games?