Volition Looking To Mod Support For Saints Row Games

By Jim Rossignol on June 17th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

News out of IdolNinja suggests that Volition are gearing up to support modding on Saints Row The Third, with potential support for mods on the fourth game. They explain: “Jeff Thompson, the Studio Director of Programming at Volition, is putting together a package for us containing documentation, file formats, tools, and more on the Saints Row: The Third engine. Myself, Minimaul, and gibbed will be working closely with Jeff over the coming months to use this information to create a robust set of modding tools to supplement our existing ones and creating what is essentially a full sdk for the game! But, that’s not all! Saints Row: The Third is only the beginning!” I can only imagine how awesome this could end up being, especially if it really is a test bed for modding support on the fourth game.

Let’s have a look at that Saints Row IV trailer again…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. rei says:

Also SR2, which is nice since that one needs a bit of fixing.

• Kobest says:

I’m wondering if SR2 still runs too fast on modern CPUs. My cousin and I want to play it co-op, so we’ll fire it up again and see if there are any fixes for that.

• HermitUK says:

If the modding tools are that robust, we can probably expect a “SR2 in SR3″ mod, which would be nice. SR3′s engine was much more stable, but the game lacked the sheer variety of stuff 2 offered.

• Gammro says:

How did you get it to run too fast? It just ran at <10 FPS on my (then) high end computer.

• MegaLoser says:

Apparently, the more a pc’s CPU clock is away from x360′s 3.2gh, that much more the game will run fast.
          this problem is reported mostly on win7 and in some cases on vista. the problem seems to have gone away on win8.

• Jupiah says:

Yup, the difference in cpu speed will produce a difference in game speed. My 3.4 gh AMD cpu caused the game to run roughy ~17% faster than the Xbox version. The way to fix it is to download a save file that puts you at the airport with a really slow car and a race that goes in a straight line. You do the race and compare your finish time to what it’s supposed to be, and then adjust the game speed with a modding tool and retake the race. Rinse and repeat until your finish time is correct. It’s really annoying but thankfully you only have to do it once.

• Mctittles says:

I find it absolutely mind blowing that games are still made without using a sensible timer in code. I remember having this problem back on the Apple II when I got a “trans warp” card and everything ran too fast to be playable.

At one point someone came up with the bright idea of timing calculations to milliseconds, but lately we seem to have forgot that again. I played super meat boy the other day and because my monitor is not 60hz (the inexplicable timing method used for the game) it breaks the game speed and makes it unplayable.

• Stormwatcher says:

There are mods already out for both games, but things will get incredibly cooler now. The scope of what modders can do will broaden dramatically.

And Idolninja already fixed the speed issues in SR2.

2. Liudeius says:

Well there already are mods for SR3, but it’s never a bad thing when modding tools are released for a game.

Hopefully I’ll finally be able to organize my garage soon. (Actually, that probably is already made, I just haven’t looked too hard.)

Edit: I forgot how awesome that trailer is.

• mouton says:

Yeah, there are mods, but there is a difference between hacking away at the engine and using actual mod tools. With them, mods will be easier to made, better and able to do more.

• malkav11 says:

The part that’s really cool, imho, is that they’re reaching out to the people who are spearheading modding efforts on these games anyway and working directly with them to make something that will make their life easier. I mean, seriously, how cool is that?

• Liudeius says:

And? I never said otherwise…

You pretty much just said what I said over again.

3. BreadBitten says:

Can you say ‘Steam Workshop’?

Also, I hope this is some form of confirmation that further work is being done to improve SR3′s performance on ATI cards, the game is still rather slowdown-heavy on DX10/11 mode.

• MeestaNob says:

Indeed. I’d say there would be a lot of money to be made selling hats (and entire outfits) for this game – I cant think of a more perfectly suited game for something like this.

4. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Possibly the first time in history that nude skins will not be the first mods released.

• JoshuaMadoc says:

In the case of this game, it’ll be a “True Nude Mod”. No mosaics, just nude skin with actual wang and nips.

• Liudeius says:

I’m sure that mod already exists. (There are complete game rebalances already)
      I recall hearing about one.

There’s a forum dedicated to SR3 modding which you can easily find on google.

• ScubaMonster says:

There are female nude mods. Don’t know about male mods, because the male models with the mosaic stripped away have no polygons that would let you add a wang. It’s mostly a Ken doll smooth area. You could add a texture but that would look stupid.

• The Random One says:

Especially considering the effort Volition put in their dangle physics. Your hair dangles, your earrings dangle, your tie dangles, the little cords for tightening your hoodie dangle, and your dongle doesn’t dangle? Preposterous.

• lomaxgnome says:

Considering that this is a game series where you can beat someone to a pulp with a giant dildo, drive whores around as they service their customers, cut people in half with chainsaws, and have officially sponsored Penthouse DLC, I actually find it somewhat offensive that they are still censoring the nipples and such. Because somehow after all that showing actual boobs is too much?

5. JoshuaMadoc says:

Aw hell naw.

If Volition actually delivers on this, then I’ll have one more game on my increasingly full modding plate.

6. SkittleDiddler says:

Any alternative to the massive amounts of shitty overpriced DLC that go along with Saints Row is fine by me.

• Rob Maguire says:

I’m guessing the ‘shitty overpriced DLC’ thing was partly because THQ was desperate for cash at the time. Considering Deep Silver – who allow developers to release free content expansions for games years after release (the X series) – is the publisher for Saints Row IV, hopefully it’ll be a little more restrained.

• The Random One says:

IIRC SR2 had roughly the same amount of shitty overpriced DLC and THQ wasn’t going bankrupt then, so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

• SkittleDiddler says:

…hopefully it’ll be a little more restrained.

That’s my hope too, but DLC was such a cash cow for THQ that I realistically can’t see Deep Silver ignoring it with SR4.

7. LionsPhil says:

If this includes the power to fix some of the imperfections in co-op (syncing quips, radio stations, etc.), and undo some of the upgrades (being bulletproof is pretty cool, but sometimes you want some degree of threat, especially co-op with revives), awesome.

I’m hoping that targetting 3 for now also pays off in terms of experience on both sides for avoiding teeth-cutting problems with modding 4.

8. roryok says:

I missed this trailer the first time, this game looks like a good laugh. Also Keith David FTW

9. F3ck says:

Great, yet another sandbox on the hdd, added to the pile. To spend hours scouring for mods then tweaking to taste. God, I love this stuff…

…hey, where’d my life go?

• Liudeius says:

I know what you’re saying, at one point I had 100GB for Skyrim alone (Some of it was redundancy).

10. Haysoos says:

It’s funny. This is the kind of game that’s already so batshit crazy, all the mods will feel like they pale in comparison to the sheer amount of weird shit you can already do in the game.

• JoshuaMadoc says:

You can’t seriously imply that a Medieval mod that adds another Mech that looks like a Dwarven Barrel Golem would “pale in comparison”.

Everything has a beginning. It’s only a matter of, “why not?”

11. MegaLoser says:

Congratulations to minimaul, gibbed and especially to idolninja, as he was the one that contacted the developers.

and now for dessert, some bile. greetings to all on minimaul’s fascistic forum, the fourth reich steam club where everyone must check everyone’s steam status frequently to prove to each other owners of the games.
    some of us -that did pay real, paper money- just don’t like steam and circumvent steam so that we don’t use steam.

• Jupiah says:

To be fair, they do get a *lot* of stupid pirates not reading the rules and trying to get support for making the mods work on pirated versions of the game, when the cracked version is different enough that mods simply do not work for it. I can imagine that after having enough of your time wasted by people like that the first thing you’d ask each new account that shows up begging for help is whether their game is the steam version or not.

I don’t know why you’d even be spending time on the forum if you’re using the cracked version, considering as I already said that mods don’t work for it. You’re just gonna have to accept that giving up mods is the price you pay if you hate steam that much.

• YourMessageHere says:

That’s just them trying to avoid the THQ Banhammer of Unreasonable Ire by making sure they can’t be seen to in any way be encouraging piracy. From what I gathered they had some potential trouble of this nature previously; given that it’s just about the only place you can go for a good variety of SR mods I think it’s worth putting up with the overly legal-minded nature of the place to get what they offer, you know, for no cost to you and at their own expense. I personally can’t imagine what you find so objectionable about Steam that you’d go to such enormous lengths to avoid it, but if you’re going to do stuff that’s at best against EULAs and things and possibly illegal in a technical sense, you can’t expect a warm welcome from any forum that has to be seen to be following the law.

• mouton says:

I agree it might be slightly tyrannical, but to be honest, while I respect your dislike of the platform, vast majority people who would “avoid” steam will be pirates. Now, piracy is all cool and stuff, but since cracks can interfere with the application in many ways, it is not an entirely bad idea to exclude them from tech support or modding forums.

• minimaul says:

There are very specific issues that we hit with pirated copies of the game – so if you have those problems it makes it incredibly obvious to us that you’re using a pirated copy. If for some bizarre reason you want to use a pirated copy when you already own SRTT – and it’s Steamworks, so there are no “non-steam retail copies” – then expect stuff to break. It does.

Shockingly I believe that people should get paid for their work. If someone doesn’t think a game is worth the asking price then don’t play it. It really is that simple.

(Disclaimer: I’m a software developer.)

Edit: to clarify – I don’t personally have an issue if you want to avoid Steam’s DRM as long as you own the game – that’s between you and Valve/THQ/Deep Silver etc. Just don’t expect us to support it when it breaks.

• mouton says:

While I have no issues with shameless piracy, most games that aren’t worth paying for aren’t worth playing either.

• F3ck says:

I also feel like Steam is mostly a bad thing, and do what I can to avoid it.

What I hadn’t realized is just how hilariously simpleminded so many in the forums over there were…are.

So, there’s one guy advising folks to set their paging file to 6.85gb to fix stuttering in Last Light, regardless of the system’s ram…if that doesn’t work enable all of your cores on boot…if THAT doesn’t work buy a new gpu…and people are thanking him.

From there I followed a topic on reviews right down the rabbit hole…I’m not the smartest guy in the room (and it’s me and the cat, presently) but jesus christ it’s almost like a Springer show over there.

I have to go back…

12. YourMessageHere says:

While I really really look forward to SR IV and plan to get it on day one, I won’t pre-order it purely to avoid the crappy pre-order bonuses which I actively don’t want cluttering up the game. Anyone else?

• MegaLoser says:

exactly, same.
      merica weapon? bad, just bad.

• ScubaMonster says:

I won’t pre-order so I can simply do with what I did when I bought Saints Row 3… wait for a sale down the road and buy the complete version for a fraction of the cost.

• Scrooge McDuck says:

Why do people like to flaunt the fact that they’re waiting to buy a game for cheap? This is common sense, people; it doesn’t make you some kind of a genius consumer.

13. Wedge says:

Excellent. Now if they can just make a new Red Faction with mod tools that let us put stuff in that works with GeoMod, it won’t matter how ass the game is.