The Oval Office: Nascar – The Game 2013

By Adam Smith on June 18th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

When I was a small boy, I was very excited about the idea of having my own car. Games had taught me that driving was fun*, whether through the twisting roads of Lotus III, across the ramshackle rollercoasters of Stunt Car Racer, or in the violent competition of Fatal Racing. Then my parents bought me a Nascar game and everything changed. The graphics blew my Spiderman socks off but the tracks didn’t have any unexpected curves, loops or jumps. That’s why I spent most of my time with the game driving the wrong way, trying to cause massive collisions and pileups. I haven’t played a Nascar game since and the impending arrival of Eutechnyx’ latest on July 24th probably won’t change that, but perhaps you are a fan of cars wot go round and round?

The game contains all of the tracks, drivers and teams from the 2013 season. What kind of variety is there between the tracks? I honestly don’t know. Here is the least informative trailer in the world.

As well as a season mode and robust multiplayer support, Nascar: The Game 2013 will contain events from the last three seasons, allowing players to jump in and change the outcome.

Relive and rewrite iconic moments from recent NASCAR history with Inside Line Highlights, recreated using real-world telemetry data from seasons 2011, 2012 and 2013, allowing players to experience the heat of the moment in one of the world’s most exciting motorsports. And, for the 1st time in sports games, NASCAR The Game: 2013 will release further update packs as the climax to the season unfolds.

Relive every iconic moment and rewrite it by driving around the track the wrong way.

* When I eventually bought a car of my own it was a Fiat Panda. Driving was not fun.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bent Wooden Spoon says:

“That’s why I spent most of my time with the game driving the wrong way, trying to cause massive collisions and pileups.”

Sounds like we were racing for the same team.

• aldo_14 says:

I remember that game. My brother managed to engineer a perfect head on collision driving the wrong way into an AI car; the latter ended up infinitely looping backwards round the track, which the engine gradually increasing in pitch.

2. Donncha O Caoimh says:

Stunt Car Racer was my all time favourite racing game. On two C64s I used to play a friend in “multiplayer games” in school by both starting a practise game and hitting the gas at the same time.

Trackmania might be a modern incarnation but it’s not got anything on the old classic.

I’ll take off my rose tinted glasses now, thank you.

3. lijenstina says:

This is the best sim of the solar system in it’s infancy. The spectators represent the Kuiper belt. However, sadly, impacts of comets are far too often for developing any kind of sentient life form.

4. Tuckey says:

American sports lol

5. MacTheGeek says:

With the massive volumes of advertising NASCAR offers — on the cars, on the drivers, on the fans, and around the tracks — I’m surprised that it’s taken so long for another iteration of the idea. Advertisers should have pumped enough money into the concept to make it practically a free-to-play title.

(Oh, and I remember those massive NASCAR Racing pile-ups fondly. I’d wipe out most of the field at Talladega by ramming the lead car at an effective speed of 400+ mph.)

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Shut up and buy your advertising like a good boy.

• Jason Moyer says:

EA had an exclusive NASCAR license, and after their first 3 attempts at doing something with it on the PC were massive disasters they gave up and made everything console exclusive for awhile. Otherwise, I’m sure we would have gotten something for PC since then besides the licensed cars in iRacing.

6. Dowr says:

I remember the Gran Turismo 5 NASCAR bits boring the hell out of me.

7. dagudman says:

Hey guys, remember how fun it is to go around tracks with curves that go in more than one direction? Well you ain’t getting that, the new Nascar game provides pressing the ‘W’ button until the race is over and pressing the ‘a’ or ‘d’ button for the curve, no slowing down or thinking about what you are doing is needed!

• The Random One says:

Too hard. Can’t I get an NPC to show me where I should turn?

• Jason Moyer says:

Ya, turning left is so easy! That’s why we’re all making millions driving Cup cars, right?

I’ve done tons of road/oval racing in GPL/N2003/iRacing and rallying in Richard Burns Rally and I find the oval stuff to be far more difficult than anything else, but I guess YMMV.

8. Hyperion says:

DAYTONNNNNAAAAAA~

oh wait, no SEGA logo. oh well.

9. Chris says:

Reminds me of a joke:

Why do rednecks do it doggy style?

So they can watch Nascar together.

10. bstard says:

Another impurity or uncleanness pre-order beta nonsense I saw on Steam, in a flash, the moment I clicked it away.

• Jason Moyer says:

Yeah, but Eutechnyx are actually using the public beta to tune the game and get it working better. AFAIK they’ve been releasing small updates daily with AI tweaks, more preset controller configs, etc.

11. TuneIntoCh0 says:

NASCAR Racing Season 2003 was great fun. Mostly when played like Destruction Derby.

12. cggreene says:

I got it today, as someone who played a lot of F1 games, I didn’t know what to expect. But this is a very fun game, and this game is much more difficult then F1 2012 by a mile.

Good racing game if you are intrested in the genre