Hotline Miami 2: Multiplayer? No. Map Editor? Hopefully!

By Nathan Grayson on June 19th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Why would you ever want Hotline Miami multiplayer when you can find other ways to have wholesome, life-enriching fun with friends like these two?

BOOM. Stop. BOOM. Stop. BOOM. Stop. That was the entirety of my Hotline Miami fan fiction. Do you like it? Personally, I think it falls apart a bit in the third act, but I suppose I am my own harshest critic. The reason I mention it, though, is that I imagine there’d be quite a few more BOOMs in the mix if multiplayer were part of the equation. And since some kind of divine sequel mandate writ large upon the holiest of Dorito bags demands that it show up in all games with numbers higher than two in their titles, I had to ask Dennaton’s Dennis Wedin if he and Cactus were feeling the pressure with Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number. His response? Not even a little.

“No!” he immediately fired back. “We are focusing on single-player and telling a story. Maybe multiplayer could be a DLC in the future or someone else wanting to do a patch or something. But it’s not in our focus right now.”

Which is a-okay in my book, because it’s not like anybody’s really been asking for it. On the opposite end of that spectrum, however, is a map editor. Hotline Miami faithful have been clamoring for one since before the original even came out, and the obvious desire hasn’t fallen on deaf ears.

“We are working on it. We hope to. Like, of course, everyone is asking us for an editor, so of course we’re trying to do it. We’re seeing if we can make it work – get it usable for normal people,” Wedin explained.

But what about a timeframe? Will we be able to soften the blow of the story’s definitive (and definitely depressing) conclusion with an entire Internet’s worth of user-made levels?

“That’s a good question,” Wedin replied with a smile. “I hope I have a good answer to that really soon.”

, , , .

Gap Gen says:

Does the Special Edition come with the blood-splattered animal mask of your choice?

2. Frisky Dingo says:

You boomed when you should have stopped and stopped when you should have boomed.

Keep at it, you’ll get the rhythm.

3. Chalky says:

I’m not sure multiplayer really fits hotline miami – it’s so focussed on rapid and short lived bursts of action I think dying and having to wait for your partner to also die or finish the level solo would take away from the pace of the experience.

Being able to instantly reset and try again after dying within 3 seconds of starting a level is one of it’s distinctive features.

A map editor, however – what a fantastic idea. I hope there’s some way to package sets of maps into a custom story. Allowing players to write their own storyline mods with new maps could lead to some great stuff.

• Leb says:

although the original already has a high score system through steam (is that working yet?) I think it would be pretty cool to have a “3, 2, 1 GO” type multiplayer where you simultaneously play through the same map with a buddy and see who can complete it the fastest/most stylish/what have you.

Something like Trackmania – where other players don’t interfere with you, and you are essentially just running for high score, but have the pleasure after the end of a round of having the highest score for that group of people in that time frame

• JackShandy says:

Here’s my half-brained idea: You respawn instantly, along with all the dudes you killed. Player 2 is still there, and all the people he killed are still dead.

4. AbyssUK says:

hmm.. a level editor you say… I give it 5 days after release that some kid has modelled his school layout and fox news is all over it… SAVE THE CHILDREN!

• darkath says:

I once tried to recreate my High School in Valve Hammer, but it was so huge the task was too daunting.

Lumberjack_Man says:

Waaaay back n the mists of time a friend and I made the ground floor of our secondary school in Doom, even going as far as putting the head teacher’s face on the cacodemons. We never managed to finish it proper – had a plan to re-texture everything but the the Quake engine came along and the prospect of having more than one floor was too appealing. Never got very far with that because GCSE’s.

• almostDead says:

Wonderful point. This game must be the absolute epitome of what judges and politicians think games are like.

There needs to be a South Park style ‘They took our jobs….They tuk rrr jubbbs… Day tk r jbs’ crowd rabble .gif version of this.

Along the lines of ‘Won’t someone think of the children!’

• belgand says:

I often think of children while playing Hotline Miami. They really should put some in it.

5. aliksy says:

A standard multiplayer wouldn’t really fit. Some sort of “I build/modify the map and you play it” thing would be fun. Or dark souls style “I show up in your game as something that wants to kill you,” maybe.

But really I’m fine with no multiplayer.

6. almostDead says:

I like Blackadder’s critique of Baldrick’s work the best:

‘Well, Nathan, it started badly, tailed off in the middle, and the less said about the ending, well, the better’.

‘Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom.’

I could never get good enough at the controls to stand Hotline too long. I can’t do down is up or whatever, I need forward to be forward.

beekay says:

Er?

Maybe this is, like, a “generic controls complaint” – but if you’ve actually got inverted controls for some reason, it’s probably because you’ve turned on inverted controls in the options.

7. Soci says:

There needs to be a mode like Perfect Dark’s Counter Op mode where one player is Jacket and the other spawns as one of the bad guys. Of course Jacket is the only one able to see into rooms while the other player can only see within his own room. Levels would have to be modified to have multiple entry points so the enemy player can’t guess which door Jacket will enter through. It’s awesome in my mind anyway.

A level editor that lets you modify things like guard behaviors and stuff and how far they see would be awesome.

• The Random One says:

My friend and his brother used Counter Op to cheat by having the enemy player kill the other NPCs, since they wouldn’t be aggressive to him. He was essentially a sleeper agent.

8. povu says:

Co-op multiplayer where both players need to restart if one dies is obviously the best way to implement multiplayer in Hotline Miami 2.

9. Totally heterosexual says:

Level editor would catapult it into best games evaaaaar category… well almost.

10. engion3 says:

I hope this turns into a MMO

• blaclika says:

No.God no.Fuck no.I want you gone.This cake is great.NOM NOM NOM!