Knights of Pen & Paper Rolls For Initiative Today

By Alec Meer on June 19th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Oh look, Inspector Spacetime makes a cameo

Meta-RPG Knights of Pen & Paper has been PC bound forever. Forever, I say! Ignore any evidence which might suggest that it has in fact only been PC-bound for three months, for you are being deceived by space-time gremlins. Fortunately their cosmic trickery has now been arrested, and the real world/D&D mash-up roleplayer has now completed its transition from portable telephonic devices to IBM-personal computer.

Er, by which I mean ‘it’s out now.’

Our Adam had mostly positive but definitely mixed feelings after hands on time with the gently satirical RPG about RPGs, feeling that it worked well as a snack game to be played in tandem with other pursuits of the mind. He also posed the ultimate question: “How is the money that my hipster paladin plucks from a rat corpse in the make believe world available to buy snacks, drinks, pets, decorations or furniture in the real world?”

The rest of us all know the answer, don’t we?

There’s no demo available alas, but publisher Paradox will be Twitching all over the newly-enhanced edition of KOPP right here at 6 p.m. GMT, 7 p.m. BST, 8 p.m. CEST and 11 a.m. PDT today.

Additionally, here’s the now-traditional Paradox Silly Trailer:

Game’s out now, costing $10 or $15 for the Deluxe Version which has new characters, furniture and things. The iOS and Android versions have also been updated to the +1 edition, but only cost $2.99. NOT FAIR AT ALL.

__________________

« | »

1. flang says:

Quintuple the price AND we get the microtransactions, too? Where do I sign up?

• Viroso says:

I’m not sure it has microtransactions, I think the “real world” mentioned in the article is the game’s “real world”.

• Sian says:

Actually, you can buy ingame gold for real-world money. You can earn the gold in the game too, of course, and you can buy virtual items that are in the games real world parts. This is all a bit confusing, but the fact that you I was offered to pay euros for gold points towards microtransactions.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

One of the developers is suggesting that the price was “forced on them” by Steam.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah, these are real microtransactions and all they do is get you more gold.
      It’s like bringing up the console to type the addgold cheat will cost you hard cash.

2. Christo4 says:

Dunno about you guys, but i fucking hate having to pay more for the same stuff especially for digital stuff just because. I usually never make a purchase if that’s the case.

• Teovald says:

It will depend on the content of the +1 edition, but the original mobile game is definitely not worth that much.
      It is extremely repetitive and after one hour it feels like constant grinding.

3. KirbyEvan says:

After playing this on mobile, I’ll say that the humor dries out in the first 30 minutes and all you’re left with is a horribly mediocre touch-based turn-based JRPG.

Honestly the PC is the worst platform for this game because it has so many much, much better competitors.

It was hardly worth 3 bucks, and it’s definitely not worth 15 or even 10 bucks.

4. meepmeep says:

It’s just about worth a couple of quid for a diversion on the bus, but there’s no way this is a game to sit down and play seriously. There’s almost no gameplay.

5. bob. says:

Terrible game. What makes it sad is the potential that is clearly there but not used at all.

It got boring as a game for the bus so yeah – sure, I’ll definitely pay 5 times the price and use my precious PC gaming time to play this repetitive pile of boredom. Oh and they got microtransactions in there too I read? Awesome!

• Lobotomist says:

“It got boring as the game for the bus” , quite much summs it up.

Great idea. Good direction. Where is the actual game ?
      Did they add the game in PC version ?

• Torn says:

Yeah I had this on iPhone and it’s really really grindy, unless you wanna shell out for microtransactions.

Initially nice, but very shallow. Unless they really overhaul it, there’s not much there.

6. Keyrock says:

I’ll wait for a 75% off steam sale, then I might consider buying it. I refuse to pay 10 or 15 bucks for a game I can get for 3 bucks on a phone.

7. JamesTheNumberless says:

It has the kind of oldschool JRPG charm that’s hard not to like, and it’s fun for a while. Makes me wish there was a turn based RPG for Android that was actually good.

• jamesgecko says:

What are you taking about? There’s the overpriced Square-Enix games, and the terrible port of that actually great Penny Arcade game, and um. Roguelikes?

• JamesTheNumberless says:

I haven’t been able to get into any of them. Terrible ports are not what I want to play on my phone. I don’t want to play something that’s actually a struggle to get to grips with in terms of the controls. Roguelikes just don’t work on mobiles either, unless they’re the dumbed down variety. I’ve sunk more hours into Angband (and worked on a variant) in my life than I care to count but couldn’t play it for more than 30 seconds on my phone – and I’m not sure I want to play it on my phone either.

Game Dev Story was a great mobile game but when the same guys tried to do a fantasy RPG, it didn’t work for me, and felt like they had designed a PC game then and tried to make it work on mobile. What I guess I’d like to see is an RPG engine that’s built from the ground up to be played on mobile rather than a game trying to take PC or console gameplay and make it mobile… KoP&P is fun to play on my phone because it’s been built for phones and actually the more I play it the more I’m enjoying it (I haven’t reached the point where it feels like a grind yet)

8. Ninja Foodstuff says:

I’ve had a brief look at it and have come away disappointed. Very shallow, looks awful in full screen and there’s the sin of having no tool tips in the interface.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

In reaction to this article, I bought it on my phone and it’s been delighting me so far. Some of the comments here prepared me for the worst kind of 2nd rate J-style-RPG but I’m not finding that to be the case at all, the guys who made this have really tried to be original and I’ve been playing for a few hours (I’m on about day 300) but I’ve yet to visit half the locations, I’ve unlocked only 2 new races and I’ve yet to get bored with following the main quest. With a $3 mobile game, I really don’t care if I get bored with it after a couple of days. I care more if I burn my tongue on a $3 cappuccino.

9. mda says:

Splinter? Since when do you have a pet dragon?

Comment on this story