Less Wooden: War Logs Improves Voice Acting

By Jim Rossignol on June 19th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Spiders send word that their action RPG War Logs – which John gave a long, hard stare a while back – has had new English-language localisation to improve the shonky voice-acting that the game suffered on released. They explain: “The actual game was thoroughly tested and released with very few bugs on PC, but unfortunately the procedures for the audio and text QA failed and allowed many English localization issues to slip through. We realized the extent of the problem after seeing the first feedback from the press and gamers.” This has now been patched up on all versions of the game, apparently.

There’s a video of the redone intro for the game below, so you can preside in judgement.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BobbyDylan says:

It’s still not exactly stellar.

2. laddyman says:

Shame about the gamey bits, though.

3. Crosmando says:

I heard on the grapevine that you can romance/take to bed the companion woman in this game

• RvLeshrac says:

I’m not sure how that’s in any way relevant to anything.

• Bostec says:

Unless the women is the thing in the picture with the big hands?

lowprices says:

Maybe he or she is hoping the voice acting for the bedding scene is improved? Perhaps she sounded terribly bored before.

• yuri999 says:

The game is rough but god damn if the devs didn’t aim high… which they totally did. The game has companions (+ their romance), their own quest-lines, branching dialogues with more variety than ME, takes a page from Witcher 2 with the final 1/4 of the end, small choices end up having huge ramifications later on, plus the game has stealth and combat which is totally similar but tougher than Alpha protocol complete with takedowns and personality shaping from DA2.

TL;DR: Play the game and finish it once atleast.

4. F3ck says:

I’d heard the VO was poor, but not even close to being among the bigger problems….isn’t this kind of like recording a new soundtrack for Gigli?

5. yuri999 says:

TL;DR: Play the game and finish it once atleast.

• Continuum says:

I was very interested in the game, but the reviews were gawdawful.

But what really killed it for me was a video review demonstrating all the invisible walls in game and running around in circles with a train of enemies.

Random invisible walls is just terrible design.

• Ultra Superior says:

I agree it is a good game with great atmosphere and it is underrated.
      Deserves a try.

JiminyJickers says:

They suddenly turned Australian, haha.

• JoshuaMadoc says:

All the new voice actors are British. Even Fatso’s British now. I know an accent when I hear one, and Australian is nowhere to be found in that footage.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

He was just thrown because Australia is the closest thing to Mars.

• Hendo says:

Actually, I’m British, but the kid in that video had a distinctive Aussie twang. I think the OP was partially correct. Your right with fatso though – hackneyed London accent.

7. maximiZe says:

That’s nice and all, doesn’t make the writing (and most likely the translation as well) less atrocious though.

Harlander says:

From John’s report and this new video, it looks like it’s gone from “incomprehensible” to “hackneyed” which is certainly a step up in my book

8. RakeShark says:

Lack of brevity is another problem.

9. fhorrigan says:

Did they also patch a way to make the combat fun? At first it isn’t so bad, but it eventually devolves into roll, roll, roll, land a single hit on an enemy, repeat forever.

10. Danda says:

This sounds cool. I still haven’t played this game (I intend to when I have the time) but fixing an imperfect localization is ALWAYS welcome.

11. Phasma Felis says:

“I don’t know if it’s night or day,” he said, as the bright sunlight cast sharp shadows across his face.

12. Ranger33 says:

Dang, if I had seen this yesterday I might have picked it up on the Steam daily sale…I’m all about rough around the edges yet unique RPGs, needed just a little more to sway me. Guess I’ll get it the next time.

13. John Connor says:

This kind of thing worked for the Witcher, maybe with a bit of polish they could make something of this game yet.

dahauns says:

I always wondered: Is a War Log the end product of Battle Bread?