Rogue Legacy Release Date Is… Next Week! Quick!

By John Walker on June 20th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

My goodness, I’ve had a good time playing Rogue Legacy. In one of the most enthusiastic previews I’ve written, I declared that were it not to be a hit there’d be no justice in the universe. I meant it. And now it has a release date so you can play too – and it’s next week. 27th June, on Steam. There’s a trailer to prove it.

Okay, so this gets a bit weird for me here. Sometimes something we’ve written in an article gets quoted in a game’s publicity. It seems to happen to me incredibly infrequently, most likely because I’m too curmudgeonly or something. I do remember one time when I was going for a wee in a motorway service station, looked at the wall directly in front of my face, and saw a sentence I’d written in a poster advertisement for Broken Sword 3. That was odd. This is odder:

I mean, that’s flattering. But when Destructoid’s Patrick Hancock wrote, “I don’t just roguelike it, I rogueLOVE it,” I cannot understand how that isn’t the lead quote. I’ve chopped my own arms off in shame that I didn’t think of that line.

Anyway, you can still pre-order the game for $10, which right away gets you the “demo”, which is in fact a massive amount of the game. Seriously, I love this.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. pakoito says:

Skulls of the Shogun, Shadow over Mystara, Fist Puncher, Deadpool, Company of Heroes 2 and Planeswalker 2014 and this on the same week.

You can play the demo without purchasing, also.

• eliza321 says:

Caleb. although Dawn`s st0rry is neat, last wednesday I got a great Jaguar E-type after having earned $4187 this past month and-in excess of, $10k lass month. no-doubt about it, this really is the best job I’ve ever had. I actually started 9-months ago and almost straight away started making a cool minimum $81.. p/h. I follow instructions here,, kep2.com

• Flopper says:

Deadpool looks so shitty.

2. MuscleHorse says:

From the demo that’s already been out for a few weeks, I enjoyed it but am a bit puzzled by the huge amount of love for it. Does it get better as you put more into it or is the demo fairly representative of much of the experience?

3. Lexx87 says:

Pre-ordered this thanks to John’s preview – cannot wait.

4. NaN says:

Watching the video I thought it was a game of quotes.

5. trjp says:

The demo is worth a look – it helped me decide AGAINST it because I don’t think the controls are upto the job in the trickier bits at all.

Yes, I know, it’s the 360 controller and it’s non-ideal DPad/stick thing – except that Super Meat Boy is near-perfect and this is far, far from it.

Shame, but if you’re going to make a game with punishing combat and jumpy bits, you need to make the controls work FAR better than they do in the demo.

I just got tired of knocking up and moving sideways (into a trap) or that movement was too twitchy (making small platforms too easy to miss ot step-off) – hell you even see the the problem in the MENUS where you step sideways when scrolling up/down…

• MuscleHorse says:

I think comparing this to SMB is somewhat… odd.

• trjp says:

I didn’t compare it to SMB in any way – you’re being simple-minded.

My point was that it’s quite possible to make a demanding platformer (of which SMB is a great example) work on the 360 controller.

You need to read what people say, not just look for words your recognise…

• MuscleHorse says:

No need to be quite so antagonistic old chap. As far as I can tell you’re comparing it to SMB in the controls. Yes you are. SMB was designed around a gamepad, this feels much more at home on a keyboard. I own a 360 controller and it didn’t even cross my mind to use it for this.

If it isn’t your thing, though, it isn’t your thing. I’m not 100% sold on it either.

• trjp says:

I’m not comparing anything between the games at all – all I said was that I felt RL’s controls were part of the difficulty/not as good as they could be – and before people said “well it’s the 360 controller innit” I highlighted that SMB uses that controller and does not suffer from the same issues (and, frankly, is more demanding upon then too).

• stampy says:

trjp says:

i disagree with the content of your idea. now, here is a personal insult. since you disagreed with my statement, i am restating it. here is a snide reason why having a different opinion than me is wrong.

• One Pigeon says:

The internet. A wonderful place where everybody loses.

• trjp says:

There’s no ‘disagreement’ – he leapt to a conclusion based on no real evidence – I could have been a bit more polite or nice about it but he could also have read what I wrote and not read ‘what he thought I’d written’ and started building his own strawman.

• One Pigeon says:

Weeeeeeeell your words “Yes, I know, it’s the 360 controller and it’s non-ideal DPad/stick thing – except that Super Meat Boy is near-perfect and this is far, far from it” from a neutral standpoint kind of looks like a comparison, as Musclehorse very briefly stated. You then accused him of being small minded which is a bit of an insult really. He then very gracefully replied.

I don’t think any offence was meant by his (fairly reasonable) comment, his second one just implied that maybe not creating an argument out of a very small difference in opinion will avoid these protracted posts that idiots like me will then add to, thereby taking the whole thing off topic.

Anyway. I’m now downloading the demo and will have a look see as to what these controls are like, particularly as I’m also fond of using a 360 controller.

• darkChozo says:

Have you tried the keyboard controls? The game seems really more suited to digital over analog (though that might just be personal preference speaking), and the 360 d-pad is absolutely awful. Some of the key placements are a bit weird (mostly the dodge key), but otherwise they seem to work pretty well, and there’s certainly no issue of mixing up directions.

I also don’t like the way SMB controls (never been a big fan of Mario-style slidey platforming), so might be a matter of taste.

• Sian says:

The one thing I constantly battled with using the keyboard was that stabbing down while jumping didn’t work reliably, which is a problem when you try climbing a room full of platforms that are activated using that move (and only that move, to my knowledge). Also, there are spikes at the bottom. I found that, in order for it to work, I had to press down quite early. Apart from that, you’re right: digital input works fine.

• dE says:

I got frustrated at those parts too. It was a case of fighting against the controls, instead of the traps and enemies. Everything else felt fine but those parts with those “§$/”§$//$! platforms? Ragehatekabooomkaputt. I’ll wait for the otherwise awesome seeming game to come out and check if that is still as awkward and if it is, I’ll wait until it is changed. As much as I like the game otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to go any distance with that in place.

• lokimotive says:

I had a lot of trouble with those platforms as well. Most of the rooms that featured spikes plus those platforms were pretty much impossible to traverse without taking damage… which means that I basically tried once to get a platform to work, failed and then ran the rest of the way on top of the spikes.

For some reason, eventually those rooms stopped showing up, which made me tremendously happy.

I really don’t know what the problem was with that control, but I have to think that it’s much more difficult to do than they planned. It was like there was a relatively small sweet spot that you could actually enact the move: too early and you wouldn’t stab down, too late and you’d just go through the platform. Very strange. I hope they plan on fixing that.

But, honestly, other than that, I really didn’t have much trouble with the controls. There were a couple of times where I ended up facing the wrong way when I was attacking, but other than that it was fine. I guess they are a bit clunky, but the game seems so indebted to Castlevania, that it would just seem unnatural to have a well oiled control scheme.

• trjp says:

Yes – and I have to say I don’t like or play platformers with the keys so it was never going to be a solution – and I got nowhere fast.

You appear to be ‘stuck’ with the ‘D’ for forward and ‘S’ for back and ‘Space’ for select when you’re talking to people etc. – irregardless of what you setup for the in-game stuff.

Yeuch, basically…

• darkChozo says:

Ah, I’m pretty much the opposite, it’s either keys or something along the lines of a sideways Wiimote for me. For the most part, I can’t stand platforming with an analog stick or whatever the 360 d-pad is.

I don’t think I ever looked at rebinding the keys (probably should’ve, WASD platforming is weird), but if that’s true that’s problematic. Hopefully it’s just a beta issue.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

“Irregardless” is not a word.

• Teovald says:

That’s very frightening. The tight controls (and the fact that you stayed dead for only one second) were indeed part of what made Super Meat Boy work. On the opposite side, I hated Dark Souls because it is just unplayable with a keyboard.
      I hope that they release the game with perfect SMBesque controls. A difficult game is okay (and great), but a game that punishes you for its bad input method is not.

• trjp says:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say “bad” but they lack the precision I’d expect of a game which punishes mistakes as often as this does.

Easy enough to check it tho – download the demo ;)

• John Walker says:

It works fine for me, and I’m a hoof-handed clutz.

• trjp says:

I tried it with both a wired and wireless controller (to avoid arguments of it being just one controller, or lag or whatever) and I just never felt like I was really in-charge.

You have those big knights that you need to get upto, hit, back-off again inside their swing and I found myself running into them.

Small platform jumping – the classic “move just a bit on landing and fall’ made worse by the fact nudging the stick moves you quite a bit

Worst part is that it makes zero effort to separate diagonals tho – ANY movement offcentre is a diagonal movement which is bad, even on the DPad – it’s horrific on the stick.

I’m not saying it’s unplayable – far from it – I just found that in a game where you’re going to die a HUGE HUGE amount, I was putting too many of those deaths down to the controls or at least a feeling that they were more part of the difficulty curve than the solution to it.

Others can make-up their own mind on the demo, of course.

• pakoito says:

That can be easily patched, I wouldn’t consider it gamebreaking in any way.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Well, until it’s patched, it could still be considered gamebreaking. And there’s a good chance something like that will never get fixed.

• pupsikaso says:

I’m sure the controls are much better if you play with a controller. In fact I was debating getting one just for this game until I saw the $50 price tag on the controller.
      So instead I just changed the keyboard controls layout until I was comfortable and it all fell into place very neatly.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

yeah if you can hold the kb in your hands and use the left thumb to press WASD and right thumb on the numberpad for whatever other functions this game has, you don’t need to buy a controller to use one!

• pupsikaso says:

Hahaha, I’m not sure how well that would work out, but it does give me an idea about flexible keyboards that can fold up and convert into some kind of controller.

• mrwout says:

The demo left me with exactly the same feeling. I really want to love this game, but the controls make it soooooo damn hard. I admit I’m not really good at this sort of game, but when you get the feeling that half of your failings are down to the controls (a feeling I didn’t have with Super Meat Boy and Dustforce for example) it makes for a really frustrating game. The rest of the game is really stellar though!

Disclaimer: I too played it with a 360-pad, will soon try it again with keyboard.

• golem09 says:

I don’t know why anyone would want to play this game with an analogue stick (unless he doesn’t have anything else)
      Personally, I play this game with SNES pad and Xpadder.

• trjp says:

For the record and as I’ve said – I don’t get-on with keyboards for platformers and the only pad I have is a 360 one (two of them to be exact) so I’m sort-of stuck with those…

The DPad on the 360 controller is SO uncomfortable to use and it has the same issues as the left-stick in this case anyway – it’s just too easy to hit the diagonals and the whole control scheme feels, to me, too jumpy and keen.

I posted on the developer’s Facebook to ask if they’d tweaked the controls any in the full game and/or if some degree of control over the pad settings was on the cards – but given that even redefining the keys is a clumsy affair, I’m not holding a lot of hope for that, at this stage.

I do urge people to try it for themselves tho because there’s some fantastic ideas in here – it’s just that after about 40 deaths I began to question whether the controls should be part of the difficulty curve :)

• golem09 says:

Yeah, the 360 dpad is unusuable except for some menu stuff like weapon selection.
          That’s why I have adapters for snes and ps2 controllers.

• darkChozo says:

Hmm, just thought of something, have you considered using any of the numerous joystick-to-keyboard programs to map the analog stick to digital keyboard inputs? Might not be worth the effort, but it could sidestep some of ADC weirdness that you’re seeing with the game.

• trjp says:

Last time I looked, all such bits of software actually cost money and when I added my past experience of them being a bit of a pain-in-the-ass to maintain etc. – it’s not a route I’ve considerd.

If you know of a good,solid one which doesn’t cost the earth – I’d be interested tho!

• trjp says:

Update: the developer responded to my and someone else’s comments about lazy/tired sticks with a note that one of their testers reported this and they’re adding a ‘deadzone’ adjuster into the final game.

Hard to say if that will be enough – as someone else said, I think there’s more to it in terms of understanding character acceleration as well as outright speed and joystick positions – but it’s a start for sure…

• SubparFiddle says:

The controls were fine to me, but what drives me mad is a platformer where the input is tied directly to speed rather than acceleration. Someone needs to go back and take a closer look at Super Mario Bros.

• Warskull says:

It’s the controller you are using. The controls were precise for me. The Normal X360 controller has an atrocious dpad and the analog sticks aren’t all that precise. It simply doesn’t do well with this type of game. Get a controller with a good dpad. I played it with a Madcatz fightpad and it controlled fine. The main difference is that the fightpad had a very good dpad.

6. golem09 says:

Oh YES. This is currently my most wanted game, and I thought it was still a month away.
    Gonna be a LONG week.

Also, I think that the proper term for these games should be Roguelite. It just fits better than any other description I read.

7. Lambchops says:

What would have made the trailer is if after they’d written “anyone can be a hero” they’d followed up with,

“even John (and he’s an awful healer)”

That would have been perfect.

8. voidburn says:

Thanks for spotting this, totally missed it. Tried the demo and preordered after 1 hour of fun and giggling! The humour is hilarious, the game play is fun, and dieing a lot isn’t punishing at all since you most likely be back with a more powerful descendant!

We need more games like this!

9. pupsikaso says:

I loved the demo. It’s also the first game ever that I have “pre-ordered” simply because I really loved the demo and couldn’t wait to play more.

10. derbefrier says:

Fuck yeah! First Unepic got released on steam this last week(a game I had never heard of before that and I am loving) and now this, which a friend told me about only last week and I ended up playing the demo for hours but held off on purchasing since after a bit a googling(and running across John’s previous article on this game which i must have missed) I found out it had just been greenlit. This game is awesome but I have always been a sucker for a good metroidvania type game.

11. Wedge says:

I was totally down with this game until I asked about the odd assignment of “left dash” and “right dash” to specific buttons, which only makes sense on their default assignment to triggers on a 360 controller. When I asked if the wholly sensible _option_ to have double tap and/or direction inputs + a single dash button would be in the final game (because I play 2d games on arcade sticks where a left dash and right dash button makes fuck all sense), they told me they weren’t going to do it because I would accidentally dash the wrong way with those kind of inputs, and suggested I should actually use the left and right dash on an arcade stick button layout in some idiotic fashion.

As someone that played Dustforce with an adequate degree of competency utilizing both double tap and single button dashes, I’ve no idea what the guy was on about, or what the problem would be with having those kind of inputs as an _option_ anyways.

• darkChozo says:

Double tap to dash is the worst thing to happen in video games ever (should still be an option though).

Personally, I’m a fan of dash modifier keys (shift + a/d in this case, probably). I should really set up some macros or something for this.

• Wedge says:

When you use an arcade stick, it’s quite nice, as you can literally tap the stick twice in a direction instead of pressing down a d-pad twice (or god forbid doing it with an analog thumbstick). However if you need to dash frequently it’s still easier to have a button (which is what I ended up doing most of the time in Dustforce). I cannot fathom why they would think a single dash button + directions would not be easier than two dash buttons, or how you would accidentally get the wrong direction like that. I mean we’ve had that since Mega Man X, and it worked lovely in that.

12. pakoito says:

The preorder doesn’t give you beta access and the demo saves don’t carry into the final game. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW!

• pupsikaso says:

Whatever wo/mankind had done when this was standard and expected?
      Besides, the game is so fun I don’t mind going through the first level again when the game comes out.

13. Loque says:

Damn, I’ve tried the demo and I can’t find a decent keyboard setup. I love the game but the keys drive me crazy, I can’t find a proper setup :-|

• pupsikaso says:

I used the usual WASD but used SPACE for jumping instead of W, and then the three abilities are on numpad 4, 5, and 6.
      The dashing is on E and Q, and it’s not very comfortable, but to be honest I’ve never had a lot of situations to use them other than getting through spikes without jumping for those hairy chests.

14. strangeloup says:

My chief experience with the demo has revolved aroung going ARGH I HATE THIS GAME and applying various reasons to that statement (too hard / it’s randomised the castle into Bastard Town / goddamn bats / spikes / etc) and then having another go anyway. Repeat.

I’m glad I preordered it based on the strength of John’s preview alone, though I was surprised there was no mention of how very Castlevania the whole affair is; not, of course, that something in the mould of Symphony of the Night is a bad thing to emulate by any means.

• Dromph says:

There is certainly a strong castelvania influence artstylewise, but the gameplay feels a lot more like Ghosts ‘n Goblins too me.

15. clumsyandshy says:

That first screen reminded me so much of Kid Chameleon for some reason. That game was the stuff!

16. honuk says:

this game kind of stretches the point of “roguelike” for me–you don’t lose anything, ever–but it’s completely awesome so whatever.

Comment on this story