Shock: AC IV PC-Bound ‘A Few Weeks After’ Consoles

By Nathan Grayson on June 20th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

The first famous historical figure you'll be assassinating? Moby Dick's great, great, great grandfather.

Ubisoft’s been kinda sorta a little better about treating PC gamers like humans (or at least wallets with people attached) lately – what with the partial decapitation of its draconian DRM and shoring up of arbitrarily spaced out release dates – but some things never change. Mystifyingly, the Assassin’s Creed series has continued to bound right over PC on day one, preferring instead to fall off a roof and use our spines as cushions weeks later. For Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, that trend will not be changing – nor will the one where Ubisoft neglects to explain precisely why it keeps doing this in the first place.

Speaking with ElderGeek, game director Ashraf Ismail said that the PC version will be arriving “a few weeks after” it buckles console gamers’ hideously untidy swashes. He was adamant, however, that Ubisoft’s not neglecting those among us who dream of high-seas stabbing.

“We’re working hard on the PC version. It’s one of the main platforms we work on in the office. For our PC fans, don’t worry. The game on PC looks phenomenal.”

I don’t necessarily doubt it, either. We’re presumably getting the “next-gen” version (as our high spec, anyway), which next-gen consoles won’t even receive until they launch at the end of the year. So I guess the delay kind of makes sense this time, but only from the standpoint of Ubisoft gleefully welcoming its new console overlords.

Basically, though, it’s a new verse in a never-ending song, just with yet another potentially sour note thrown in at the end. Which is a bizarrely well-fitting description of the entire Assassin’s Creed franchise at this point, if you think about it. You can even sprinkle in pirates and it’s still applicable on both sides! Also, significantly more depressing and misguided on Ubisoft’s part. Man, words sure are fun. What were we talking about again?

Oh, right, Assassin’s Creed IV. The current-gen console version will be out on November 1st, so probably look for it to land on PC sometime around the 22nd I guess.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. CaspianRoach says:

“Looks phenomenal”? I’d rather have “run phenomenal”. AC3 is still badly optimized and the Boston wharf area in particular performs like crap.

• Cinek says:

Well, time to upgrade your 5 years old PC.
      If you got any modern-day PC than it runs buttery-smooth.

• DPB says:

That’d be fine if the requirements actually asked for a modern PC, but they don’t – the minimum is a Core 2 Duo and the recommended a Core 2 Quad, and it’s pretty much unplayable on either of those. It runs at half the frame rate of the previous games yet barely looks any better.

• eliza321 says:

Riley. I can see what your saying… Albert`s blog is unbelievable… last week I bought themselves a Mercedes-Benz S-class since I been making $4546 this-past/four weeks and-over, $10 thousand last munth. without a doubt it is the nicest-work I’ve ever had. I actually started 3 months ago and pretty much straight away started earning more than $70, per/hr. I work through this link,, kep2.com

• AmirBan says:

it’s not his pc, the port was awful and runs very bad for me too. i run crysis 3 on max over 40fps and metro ll on max 60fps even more but ACIII runs 60fps in some areas but in boston & New York it’s 15 to 20fps
        anyway couple of weeks later or never, i don’t care and i don’t buy it. maybe i pirate this pirated theme game :)

• Derezzedjack says:

I don’t know, but on my PC (i7 3770K, GTX680 & 16 GB RAM) the game has not ran buttery smooth. Mostly around the 40-50 fps mark. Yes, of course there were points where the game would go to 60fps, but as I said, most of the time not. At some points it would even go under 30. I was running at a higher resolution than 1080p and anti-aliasing was not on the highest settings, but even on maximum settings and at 1080p the game did not run “buttery smooth” (this means constant 60 frames per second in my opinion).
        Same goes for many other Ubisoft games. For example Far Cry 3 won’t run buttery smooth from what I’ve played (the netcodes a mess, too!). And from what I’ve tried of Ghost Recon Future Solider, it ran even worse.

• BobbyDylan says:

Never had a problem with it. Except that it was shit boring.

2. Ninja Foodstuff says:

I thought they made it perfectly clear that all PC gamers are pirates, are thinking about becoming pirates, may have been pirates at some point, or associate with pirates, to the point that we will pirate games on behalf of people with consoles.

Also we’re a cynical lot, and can keep our opinions to ourselves until no one cares any more.

But that’s ok, I think this series is pretty awful anyway.

• lordcooper says:

Isn’t that pretty much true though?

• BTAxis says:

I was about to say.

• mygaffer says:

Not really. The percentage of people who pirate is relatively small, the only reason it is larger than on consoles is it because it is much easier to do on PC than console.
        Different studies have shown different amounts, but in North American the studies show either ~8% or 25% depending on if the study was financed by content holders or not.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

I can only comment for people in the over 30s age bracket, but at least one of those would be true in most cases. I don’t know a single PC gamer around my age who didn’t spend some time in the playgrounds of their youth trading copied disks or cassettes.

• Cinek says:

Well, I don’t know a single console gamer who haven’t swapped discs or cartridges with their friends either.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

True, but apparently people place a big distinction between swapping stuff, meaning you can’t play it when they’ve got it, and handing them over a bunch of homemade Monkey Island floppies and a photocopied/hand-drawn code-wheel.

• rapier17 says:

As if someone would do such a thing! Copying Monkey Island 2 onto floppies & photocopying the code wheel, why that’s despicable behaviour! Although, in truth, you just described -exactly- how we got a-hold of both Monkey Island games (and many other PC games), via people my father worked with. I still have the code wheel (as well as the one he photocopied for Lucasfilm’s Battle of Britain: Their Finest Hour) kicking around somewhere after all these years – prized possession of my childhood, as stupid as that sounds.

I can’t find anything about this newest AC to even stir my interest and I still have a lingering ‘affection’ for c17 pirates thanks to Pirates! Gold (now I did buy that one with pocket money) and Sea Legends – I’m just tired of seeing the same thing each time every time. The naval combat of ACIII was alright, wasn’t amazing, it was entertaining for the first few ship missions but I don’t think I could stomach a whole game built around it.

• drinniol says:

And now, in the game!

• Rovac says:

Oh cmon now, at least they dont fire people regularly or eat puppies

• ZIGS says:

Not that we know of

• Jazzyboy says:

Of course not. Eating puppies would be exceptionally cruel.

They eat human babies instead. ‘Cause that’s totally fine.

- PETA Enthusiast.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah so we should get this game first, you know.

PIRATEFACE

• Jimmy Butler says:

You would think that a game about pirates would be released at the same time as consoles, on the platform where the customer base are suspected to be full of pirates.

3. Arithon says:

That;s an issue. AC3 “Looks phenomenal”, but its not much of game.
    It goes like this:-
    Long scripted animation, pause, another long scripted animation, run 100yrds & stab someone triggering long scripted animation, pause, another long scripted animation, then sneak, climb and dodge to way-point which triggers long scripted animation (and repeat ad nauseam..)
    Basically three hours of watching to 10 minutes of game-play. AC3 came free with my video card and I STILL feel like I was overcharged!
    With regards to AC4, I can barely contain my indifference.

4. HadToLogin says:

Would write something about “main platform” and “release later” doesn’t really look good together, but I have to go back to my exams.

5. Screamer says:

Meh couldn’t even be bothered to finish AC3.

6. amateurviking says:

To be fair, simultaneously releasing this on 5 platforms is asking for trouble. It makes (at least a little) sense to catch a breather before the PC release as 1) WARRANTLESS SPECULATION: they sell less on PC than console and 2) MORE WARRANTLESS SPECULATION: the PC version needs more after sales customer support because a gagillion different hardware permutations.

It sucks though. Mind you I got bogged down in the first act of AssCreed the First of its Name so there’s no way I’ll be getting this either way.

SUPER EXTRA BONUS SPECULATION: AssFlag PS4/Xbone editions are probably going to be direct ports of the PC version (oh the irony!).

• Kadayi says:

Careful there amateurviking, don’t be trying to bring your logic and reasoned argument to this. Ubisoft clearly hate PC gamers (because…well just because…they do…it is known) and that’s all there is to it. End of story. There couldn’t possibility be any other reasons why they might delay the PC launch Vs simply wanting to snub PC gamers, and we don’t countenance anyone saying or thinking otherwise.

• amateurviking says:

Woah there fella, I was just thinking out loud, I wasn’t attempting to critique.

Also just because there are reasons to explain the delay that aren’t ‘all PC gamers must hang’ doesn’t mean there’s no reason to complain. Ultimately they *could* put the effort in for simultaneous release and that would be better for the subset of their consumers that use PCs (which RPS is an [excellent] advocate for) and it’s certainly newsworthy.

• Kadayi says:

I think the audience who absolutely have to play something at the very nano second it comes out is a fairly small demographic in truth when you get down to a reality beyond that of time on their hands students and stay at home game bloggers. Sure it blows on some existential level that Xbox dude gets to assassinate dudes a couple of weeks before the PC crowd, but unless you’re addicted to reading spoiler threads on forums it’s not that much of a hardship.

7. razgon says:

Sadly, I’m done with this series as well – Loved the first 3 but then it went rapidly downhill, so I’m not that disappointed.

8. n. says:

A few weeks to wait ? Well, i can even wait a few more weeks till the inevitable price-drop :-)
    Seriously, who care ?

9. MichaelPalin says:

Hi!, sorry to be off-topic, I wont talk about this again in unrelated news, but I think it’s important to say it before RPS writes an article about it.

Microsoft is backpedaling from DRMing disc-based games. All the backlash on the internet has worked (we’ll see for how long, but it worked). In PC, however, we still have to authenticate every major release either on Steam or on Origin (is GFWL still a thing?). I think it is the perfect moment to put all the heat possible on Valve and EA so they put a system in place for people to authenticate disc-based games on Steam and Origin ONLY if they want to, not forced. We should raise this debate on the internet and journalists should keep asking these questions until we force them to give us a DRM-free option for disc-based games.

Yes, if it were for me, it would be for digital games too and, yes, it seems Valve is considering a lending system surely due to the Xbone fiasco. But that system is still within the control of Steam, it is not good enough and, the more we pressure them the more we will obtain.

• Kadayi says:

Look to the right under syndicated

• Koozer says:

It took me a while to realise, but are you trying to insinuate RPS won’t say anything negative about Steam because they’re in the news feed? Because that is not only silly, but doesn’t actually fit with reality.

• John Walker says:

We could murder the entire staff of Valve live on camera and Kadayi would still accuse us of being biased in their favour. Ignore the silly man.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Why does someone worrying about impartiality make them ‘silly’? When the people who we elect to run our country are so easily bought maybe people might be sceptical of a business whose raison d’être is to make money?

I am not alleging anything but for you to brand someone ‘silly’ for having concerns is laughable and a bit alarming!

• Kadayi says:

A pithy denial from the Boris Johnson of ‘gamez jurnalism’, how delightful.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Well you have to wonder why companies pay for nice jollies for journalists, wined and dined with all the trimmings, much like the lobbying industry, it’s not to buy favour, it’s because they are jolly well benevolent.

No sir you are silly and don’t forget it! (not that the judgement of you being ‘a silly man’ could be deemed ‘arbitrary and capricious’ by a rational mind)

• DiamondDog says:

I love how you talk about reason and logic in one post and then as soon as it suits your viewpoint, out comes the tinfoil hat.

A bit of self-awareness, please.

• Kadayi says:

Reason and logic being what in this instance? The site is syndicated on Steam, and Steam has a huge audience (50+ million accounts). To contend that garnering page hits from that syndication isn’t somehow profitable for RPS is foolhardy.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Think the lad needs your dust covered tinfoil hat to double their protection! I think some people need to understand the ‘advertising based financial model’ before casting aspersions!

The people you piss off least is your paymaster but admittedly you don’t want to alienate your readership. It’s a fine line but the monthly plus on the account sheet is the most important!!!!!!

• Kadayi says:

Those Eccles Cakes won’t buy themselves

• gi_ty says:

Sir, if accusations of bias are to be taken seriously, tangible evidence of such must be provided. You are providing motive without evidence of said bias. It is backwards and somewhat tinfoil hat-esque. It is also logically irrelevant and degrades your suppositions to the realm of tabloids and conspiracy theorists.

• Kadayi says:

Evidence? Conflict of interest from a business perspective is reason enough.

• MellowKrogoth says:

kadayi and his-name-is-too-long-so-I’m-only-gonna-use-the-1st-4-letters-and-call-him-anal are obviously both in the employ of a rival site trying to dirty the reputation of RPS. You should hang your heads in shame.

• lordcooper says:

Life tip: If you ever find yourself apologising for something you haven’t done yet, just don’t do it.

• MichaelPalin says:

Life tip: Sometimes you have to do things that are not totally right, but are necessary. The least you can do is recognize it is not totally right.

• SuicideKing says:

Well, i posted the steam thingy last night (or was it today morning?) on the sounddogger post, and someone else below that posted about Microshit’s DRM reversal.

So i’m aboard the “why aren’t they talking about it yet” bandwagon, though i presume we’ll here something from the Hivemind by the end of today.

• Asurmen says:

Isn’t it up to to publishers is to whether the game requires Steam to A) install the game and B) even be running to play the game?

• MichaelPalin says:

Same with what Microsoft was going to do. So yes, you are right, but it’s much more difficult to pressure publisher by publisher than pressuring a single party that may have the power to do so. And it worked with Microsoft in this case.

• Asurmen says:

Not really equivalent though. Microsoft only gave in because they’re trying to attract new people to buy an expensive peace od hardware which would give consumers no choice. Steam is purely software that has an eatablished market, which is not necessarily enforced as I said in my original post and the consumer potentially has a choice of vendor. Microsoft was in a position where they had to cave. Valve isn’t.

10. cunningmunki says:

Thought this was a Thief story at first (based on the picture). It wouldn’t surprise me either, though.

11. Tuckey says:

Crap series

12. Oktober Storm says:

Since it’s al speculation I’m going to speculate that they finish the console version and then, with the existing assets and everything, they’ll spend three weeks optimizing the product for the PC.

Yes, yes, I know you probably think otherwise. But my speculation is something I can live with.

13. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I bet Sony and Microsfoft ‘ask’ them(and other AAA’s) to delay the PC releases.

14. Seafort says:

I’ll wait a few weeks/months for this Assassin’s Creed. The last one wasn’t that fun and I was actually looking forward to the open wilderness, hunting and surviving, till i started playing it…

The AC series seems to have lost it’s charm and awe of being an Assassin. Maybe it’s because it comes out every bloody year like CoD now. You just get sick of a good thing.

15. Jimbo says:

Does it need explaining? It’s obvious enough why they keep doing it. I find the delay understandable, and at least preferable to day & date but with AO DRM.

I wouldn’t be too surprised to see this get delayed further, depending on when the new consoles end up launching. This is a game which will sell a lot of consoles, and Microsoft & Sony would probably prefer the PC version not to undermine that.

16. LordMidas says:

“Blah, I hate games. Games are rubbish, shit and make me feel angry.” THIS is quite literally what I read in every comments section on RPS. Shame really. I thought folk on here loved games.

It’s like the reaction to the announcement of the new Thief game. Nothing but howls of anguish that someone would dare to remake OUR beloved game. It’d probably be shit or something. Then a few weeks later those same people start going on at about how ace it looks. Christ.

I think ACIV looks fabulous and will no doubt be a thoroughly exciting game. Then again, I love games and am potentially too lenient, and would like to assume that the Devs will improve upon past mistakes. Until it comes out I’ll keep on thinking it’ll be great.

• JackShandy says:

“Then a few weeks later those same people start going on at about how ace it looks. Christ.”

When did this happen?

• Cinek says:

He must be reading some other website and accidentally leaving comment here.

• LordMidas says:

In a second article. It’s true. But you’ve got to admit that there is real negative vibe towards games around here, as you read these posts ‘n threads.

17. revan says:

Good thing I stopped caring about AC after the second game. Frankly it’s all been seen and done in this franchise. So many sequels, spinoffs and whatnot, yet it is all just a carbon copy of the original AC and its sequel. They’re just milking it endlessly without any actual innovation over many game iterations. This game was a bother to pirate for a trial run, let alone actually buy to play. Much better games out there for my money.

18. HisDivineOrder says:

I’d be outraged if this didn’t always happen. At least it’s not the six month delay they used to do.

19. Mark says:

I’m a dev for a big publisher/developer and have worked on several multiplatform (PC and console) games.

This shouldn’t need explaining to anyone with half a brain or that has actually had a job at a company that makes / develops big things. Here’s a hint: The PC version is lower priority because it sells less than the console versions, and PC’s have way more possible hardware permutations to test / optimise for. Consoles games also go through a submission process with the hardware manufacturers that lasts about a month so they need to be ready before the PC version. Also the console versions all need to come out at the same time because you simply can’t have the PS3 version coming out a month later than the Xbox version.

Basically if your team is pushed to finish the game (deadlines for titles this big are set in STONE) in time then pushing back the PC version which is a bit more separate and less important than the console versions will give you some breathing room.

This is what pisses me off about the gaming press, there’s no sense of what is actually going on inside a developer or why they might be doing things for perfectly understandable reasons. Maybe they decided they wanted to put out a really high quality PC version this time and decided to give them more time? The guys working on the PC version might be understaffed and doing 80 hour weeks for 3 months. There is a limit to the amount of extra people/cash you can pour on a slipping project – people take time to be able to contribute effectively, coders might have to understand a new engine/codebase, artists a new art style/requirements and toolchain, animation tech these days is fucking mind boggling.

Everything costs time and money and it’s not unlimited, sometimes thing’s slip and when they do you have to prioritise. That’s just reality.

Or we could all just whine and bitch because this fits our preexisting narrative that Ubi has some existential hatred for PC gamers so we can feel all embattled and shit and have something to hate.

I say this in every post but the comments section here is a cesspit now.

• Upper Class Twit says:

Huh, not-baseless assertions. Don’t see many of those around here.

But out of curiosity, how much less do PC versions tend to sell than console versions. I was under the impression that it was less up-front sales, and more over the longer term, cause games on PC get cheap a lot faster than those on consoles.

• Mark says:

I have no idea about exact numbers i’m on the dev side not marketing ;)

I think you’re right about PC sales being more spread out though, with consoles you have one shot during your release window for it to do well for most games unless it becomes a big thing and word of mouth / good reviews keep sales burning beyond that normal period.

Oh another thing is that PC’s are also quicker / easier / free to patch meaning things for the PC version tend to get left till a bit later.

• Kadayi says:

Thanks for the insight Mark, sadly it will be lost on most people here because they’d rather assign delays to the ‘existential hatred’ you mention Vs anything grounded in the reality of game production, and the complexities of the PC as a platform. Maybe one day RPS will move beyond the ‘them and us’ pantomime certain members persist in fabricating from their bedsits, but unfortunately I suspect it’s too rewarding in terms of generating page hits and short term ad revenue for them to feel the need to embrace a more measured (and dare one say….realistic) understanding of the development process, Vs the much more comfortable adolescent conspiracy of PC gamer oppression that a vocal (but ever decreasing) minority love to lap up. Still given the long years some have dedicated to poisoning their relationship with a lot of the big publishers with increasingly questionable articles I doubt many of the big boys are much interested in giving them the time of day in truth. Even with Steam syndication the sites overall traffic is dropping at a remarkable rate (-22% over the last 3 months alone), and no amount of articles on this or that indie game is going to turn around that readership decline Vs some big name interviews. Hell, even new kid on the block Polygon (a site lumbered with the ever hateful Arthur Gies onboard) pulls more daily views, and that’s barely been been around seven months.

• The JG Man says:

It’s an interesting insight that and I welcome it, however I draw up one issue. Everything makes sense; financially and from a developmental, business stand-point, everything you say makes perfect, completely agreeable sense, however (there’s always a however, isn’t there?). When you say the PC is a “lesser priority” because of sales (again, makes sense) it does start to make me wonder from a consumer perspective. If the release date is a lesser priority, what else will be a lesser priority? Maybe because there’s the fact that patches are unlimited (within reason) and free, the game doesn’t necessarily need to ship in 100% working order (and what’s 100% as games get more advanced, right?) because it can get fixed right away? Obviously no developer has that intention, as they’ll have pride in their work and the negative press of releasing a broken game is undeniable (see War Z, etc.), but it does stop and make you think, right?

There are connotations that, from a consumer stand-point, suggest to me that if one platform has a delayed release, there’s something wrong with it. Maybe there isn’t and I’m going to shoot the air here and say that 95% of them are perfectly fine and just delayed for the very reasonable point you make. Except, how am I to know that this one game isn’t that 5%? And I wouldn’t say this against Ubi, I’d say this against any publisher/dev on any platform. You’re right, if one of the console releases was 2 weeks late, that’s a massive issue…but even with the extra stuff of the PC, I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to say that the whining is out of place considering they’re/we’re getting the same treatment.

From our eyes, the release is delayed because because. Now there obviously needs to be some give and take on both sides, but it’s not just the delay itself, it’s also the connotations of that delay. This general thought applies to other things too, like being told development of a game has changed priority platform mid-development (ie. Battlefield 3). It raises concerns, even if release is matched across the board.

• Mark says:

On big multiplatform releases, unless it’s a historically PC orientated game (Battlefield for instance) then the PC is going to be the least important platform from a financial point of view. PC Gamers (I am exclusively a PC gamer, last console was an N64) just need to be realistic and understand this. It doesn’t mean putting up with shitty ports, but a few weeks of slippage isn’t the end of the world.

From a development standpoint, the lead platform is often a console because they have the greatest limitations. PC’s are always more powerful than consoles, and you have to build the game so that it works well on the slowest platform, that means the PC is a bit of an afterthought in comparison because it’s always going to at least perform OK because of the additional power. It’s no good having a nice fast PC version with the PS3 version running at 15 frames or unable to fit into memory / on disk. The lowest common denominator determines how things are built.

Basically because of lower sales and the way development works the PC version is normally done towards the end of a project by a separate team. If the project is late then that work at the end for the PC version is going to get pushed back too – if you have to do a bunch of optimisation for the PC version and big changes are still being made right up until the last minute, it’s going to push you back.

You have to understand how concrete the scheduling is for a game like Assassins is – there are probably about 500-600 people across the world working in at least 4-5 studios being coordinated in an enormous dance to get this massive game completed in time for Thanksgiving (thanksgiving is always the most important date in the gaming year for big releases and obviously the date isn’t going to change because your game is late). Also other projects are waiting for those staff / resources to be freed up to come and work on their game afterwards. Making changes to something like that is like trying to turn around an iceberg. Sometimes there is simply too much work to do and not enough time/money/people to get it done on time and so the lowest priority things will slip.

• Nogo says:

Neat, maybe they should tell us that instead of relying on you to do it for them. Because right now their silence to the question just reinforces the idea that they don’t care, which is the real issue.

Regardless, these are known issues with multi-platform release, and other studios have managed to get around such a daunting hurdle just fine, so why exactly should we give Ubi a pass in the first place?

• Mark says:

People on the internet aren’t mature or reasonable enough to deal with and understand the complexities of game development or life in general. You can’t say we delayed the PC version because it sells less and because of the asymmetries of developing for different platforms. It’s also hard to pin down or really come up with a single reason why any game is late. Basically most of the time real life got in the way – that’s not gonna wash with a bunch of kids on the internet that have never had a job or been part of a complex endeavor. Hell most adults aren’t smart / reasonable enough to slow down and actually try and understand things either. See politics, the news, life in general etc.

Throwing a shitfit and drawing conspiratorial conclusions because a game is a little bit late is much easier for people than standing back and realising they have absolutely no idea why it’s happened and they don’t actually know anything about the subject. Maybe Ubi does really hate then PC platform, or maybe it just got delayed / put back like most games do (let alone the untold thousands that have been canned / totally rebooted ).

In my experience publishers are for more incompetent than they are evil. That doesn’t mean take everything at face value – but unless you really know whats going on, don’t waste your time imagining things to be angry about.

• gi_ty says:

Well said, and thank you for your insights. I completely agree. The gaming community seems to be very touchy and all too susceptible to conspiracy theories. Having played around with map editors and modding tools for years I can say I have absolutely no idea how some of these games are created as polished as they are. I have an even harder time understanding how a community can be so utterly unforgiving at times. Much like in politics a little more rational from both sides would go a long way.

• Kadayi says:

I think a lot of the time people are looking for soundbyte solutions and that’s half the problem because the operators behind the whys and wherefores of delays or problems rarely fall into such neat little boxes. I don’t believe the deliberate infantilizing of subjects by a vocal section of the gaming press helps much either, especially with their continued anthropomorphic demonizing of what are essentially large businesses operating in a fairly dynamic and ever evolving market space into seemingly capricious malevolent entities.

20. captain nemo says:

The Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has made it clear that if you play their games on a PC, you are basically a pirate (93% to 95% from quote). Therefore, do not buy Ubisoft games. Period.

If you do, you are stupid (no offense intended)

Splurge your money on GOG or Steam instead

• Kadayi says:

Really? Let’s go to the original article: -

“We want to develop the PC market quite a lot and F2P is really the way to do it,” said the French CEO. “The advantage of F2P is that we can get revenue from countries where we couldn’t previously – places where our products were played but not bought. Now with F2P we gain revenue, which helps brands last longer.

Guillemot makes an interesting point (with reference to F2P) . “It’s a way to get closer to your customers, to make sure you have a revenue,” he told GamesIndustry International at Gamescom 2012. “On PC it’s only around five to seven percent of the players who pay for F2P, but normally on PC it’s only about five to seven percent who pay anyway, the rest is pirated. It’s around a 93-95 percent piracy rate, so it ends up at about the same percentage. The revenue we get from the people who play is more long term, so we can continue to bring content.”

He’s talking about moving towards F2P on PC in order to create a sustainable Global financial model (not just the US or Western Europe), because in regions like China etc (aka the land of a billion plus people) absolutely no one pays for titles like Farcry 3 because software piracy is endemic. However transaction lead F2P games do tend to thrive in such locations and they can be profitable (as innumerable eastern MMOs will testify to), and given the size of the potential market there, it’s worth chasing.

China don’t care that you’re electing to boycott Ubisoft games over some misplaced belief that somehow Guillemot is referring to you or your western friends. But Guillemont cares about ways to tap into that broader market with its revenue potential, but still do feel free to continue to be offended I guess.

21. Kadayi says:

Have I implied bias? Or am I merely pointing out a material fact?