Talk Swordy To Me: 18 Mins Of Supergiant’s Transistor

By Nathan Grayson on June 20th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Yep OK I would like this very much now please yes OK thank you

Oh goodness gracious me oh my oh tickle me red and green and black and gold and all the colors of the cyberpunk noir rainbow, Bastion developer Supergiant’s Transistor is looking magnificent. Sure, at first glance it doesn’t seem to have fallen far from the narration-prone, hack-’n'-slash-heavy tree, but there’s no denying that this place feels just as uniquely alluring as Bastion’s pastel paradise. Plus, other bright spots – for instance, the entire combat system – crackle with intrigue, making this one to watch by any measure. And watch it you can, right this very moment. 18 whole minutes, in fact, just after the break.

Yes, it’s a PS4 demo. Sorry about that, but some things supersede petty (and largely overblown; videogames are great no matter what box you stick them in) platform rivalries, and Transistor easily fits the bill. Also, you get the benefit of some fairly interesting developer commentary, which a similar slice of the game captured by Total Biscuit lacked.

There’s a lot to digest here, but – having tried a demo a while back – I can say that these early chunks of Transistor feel just as good as they look. Combat, especially, surprised me, handling like a more position-focused VATS. There’s nuance to both how you strike and where you end up, as you’re quite vulnerable (though hardly helpless) when you run out of points. Also, there’s something magnificently satisfying about braining up complex tactics and then watching Red instantly carry them out with ruthless efficiency. It’s kind of like pulling a trigger, and she’s a human headshot.

There’s heaps more I could go on about – for example, the role of the sword-bound pseudo-narrator as less of a supposed authority and more of a tag-along with an agenda – but you should really just watch the whole video. Personally, I think Transistor looks just different enough from Bastion, but how are you feeling about it?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. toni says:

It is looking very good, just like Bastion did. Unfortunately I never finished Bastion because I found the controls (at least kb+mouse) rather working against me than with me. The turn-based character seems to rectify that. Looking forward to it :D

• Serpok says:

Were you playing at the very release?

Kb+M controlls were adjusted slightly in a patch a week after release, fixing diagonal disparity

• eliza321 says:

until I saw the paycheck 4 $5207, I did not believe …that…my best friend truley making money in their spare time from there computar.. there neighbour had bean doing this for only about fourteen months and a short time ago paid for the depts on there condo and got Land Rover Range Rover. go to, kep2.com

2. Kinth says:

I wish they would release the soundtrack already!

3. Captainwinters says:

Looks sublime! Confirmed for PC?

• Azhrarn says:

Has been for quite a while, it was the first announced platform even. :) So yes, this will be coming to PC in the future.

4. Skeletor68 says:

I think TB’s video is available with commentary too.

Really looking forward to this game.

5. Tuckey says:

Has it got the same constantly blabbering on narrator then, bloody annoying

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Sorry Tuckey, I believe your entire post was a typo. What I can gather is that you meant you would make love to Logan Cunningham’s voice if it was possible.

• Lexx87 says:

The narrator made this game for me.

It made me splurge all over myself

• The Random One says:

I, for one, didn’t like Bastion that much. Cool game, but not omg omg omg indie of the YEAR game. But Logan’s voice was just fantastic. He can narrate me anything he desires.

6. Seafort says:

How do I feel about it? Is it coming out for PC? If so then great I loved Bastion if not then I couldn’t give a crap :)

7. luukdeman111 says:

the muuussiiicc!!! It’s sooooo gooooood! And the guys vooiice!! *bursts out in tears*

8. Doomsayer says:

“Sorry about that, but some things supersede petty (and largely overblown; videogames are great no matter what box you stick them in) platform rivalries”

Says the PC exclusive blog.

9. Ein0r says:

If there are more skills and abilities available, the combat might be pretty fun. I still have concerns though that this one single time stop mechanic might be getting boring later on. But this will only happen if you dont have a huge variety on skills.

And it still slightly disturbs me that the main character has red hair, legs that are as thick as a matchstick and is wielding an aqua colored giant broad sword.

• Viroso says:

Yep, same here, I mean the combat thing. I like the stupidly huge sword. I think positioning yourself when time’s stopped can get tiring. The advantage of turn based combat is amping up the complexity of the game, they better have a lot of interesting skills else it’ll be the same four attack combo without the advantage of action to sustain it.

10. Wedge says:

Ah ok good, when the originally announced they had the same narrator as the first game, all I could think was how not appropriate that would sound. I assume it’s still the same guy, but he’s dropped the accent and gone all Christian Bale Batman instead… which is more appropriate at least.

11. povu says:

I don’t mind that they’re doing the voice thing again. At least this time the voice is the sword, so you get more direct narration towards your character instead of ‘kid did this, kid did that’, so it’s not the exact same thing again.

Not that there was anything wrong with the original’s narration, even if people gave its few reactive moments too much credit, but a different take on it is definitely appreciated.

The soundtrack should be good too.

12. Megakoresh says:

It’s the same woman doing the artwork so as far as looks go it looks exactly like bastion, but with different assets. I personally didn’t like the top-down view of Bastion, I think it retracted from experience more than it benefitted it and I also don’t think that top down 2D actually fully allows you to appreciate the artist as much as behind the shoulder or first person view does. But regardless of that, Bastion is still the best indie title ever created and Transistor comes from the same team, so if anything, I am not worried that it may turn out to be shit.

Will be interested to see what they will do. Supergiant are kind of a weird team, I am not sure I understand their philosophy. I would like to see something more immersive from them after Transistor though. Immersion is what Bastion lacked the most mostly because of Top-down 2D view and a fairly mediocre, though well-polished, combat system. Transistor’s combat seems way better, though.

13. ChromeBallz says:

Ignoring the game.

Give me sountrack. NOW.

14. Noviere says:

This is one of the few games I’m actively excited about. The music is Bastion was amazing, and it seems like that will be the case again. The combat looks excellent as well.

15. crinkles esq. says:

The gameplay looks interesting, art direction is alright, the story seems meh, the music is quite unbearable. The woman’s voice and vocal style do not match the character at all, and is so nails-on-chalkboard derivative singer-songwriter.

Did the creative director on stage used to work at 1UP? He seems really familiar. And really nervous.

Comment on this story