The War Z Changes Its Name, If Nothing Else

By John Walker on June 20th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Supremely conspicuous online zombie-me-do game The War Z is no longer called The War Z. After what I can only assume was a drunken stumble to the Deed Poll offices, it’s now going by the name of Infestation: Survivor Stories. Phew, that means the litany of dreadful nonsense that’s surrounded the game since it first appears no longer applies, right?!

Taking to the always classy Facebook, developers Hammerpoint declared that the new name was to prevent “confusion”. The poor things must have been horrified when it was pointed out to them that their innocently chosen name happened to share similarities with DayZ. And concept. And features. And then further aghast when incredibly famous zombie novel World War Z had a movie come out called the same. They say,

“Effective today, The War Z has changed its name to Infestation: Survivor Stories. This change has come about primarily as a result of some confusion and trademark issues with a similarly titled property. While we were reluctant to rename the game so long after launch, especially with nearly 1 million registered players, it was ultimately decided to be in the best interest of our existing community as well as future players in order to eliminate confusion. Please rest assured that this will in NO WAY affect you as players. The only difference you will see is the change in logo and website. There will be no interruption of service or change in content.”

The War Z has previously been spotted borrowing images from other games, stating completely bogus stats about the size of the game, listing features on Steam the game didn’t include, and nicking their terms of service from League Of Legends. When I played The War Z last December, I discovered it to be an absolutely abysmal game with almost no redeemable features.

But of course that was some old game called The War Z, not this new-fangled Infestation: Survivor Stories! Can’t wait to give it a go!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. revan says:

This was like less than 4 euros on Steam the other day. Still too much if you ask me…

• Luringen says:

A friend of mine bought it on the sale because “oh, a cheap zombie game!”. Couldn’t even get the game to start.

• Teovald says:

It was still at the top of steam sales.

• ChrisMidget says:

My friend bought it for £2, he said it was a waste of money and he would of been better of buying a coke and a bar of chocolate, so don’t be tempted by a sale.

• Krash says:

You of to be careful good sir, you of come dangerously close to discharging mine own cup have tea out by way have my nose.

• Aedrill says:

Have course he should be careful. I don’t of any more patience for those insults have intelligence, though.

• lijenstina says:

Cocaine costs less than £2 ?
        Shame, I’m more into heroin.

• NSGrendel says:

If there’s one thing that denotes intelligence and class, it’s the propensity to criticise people for having a lesser education.

AMIRITE?

• mondomau says:

While I agree that taking the piss out of someone that may be genuinely ignorant of their error may not be the best response, mixing up ‘of’ and ‘have’ is not a case of poorly educated – it’s a very basic grammar issue and is easily avoidable if you stop for five seconds and think about whether what you are saying makes sense.

• yabndwgdvb says:

I have been practising using my sarcasm detector. It went beep when I read your last sentence. http://wpc.4d7d.edgecastcdn.net/004D7D/files/mods/TW2_FCR

• silentdan says:

He didn’t mix up “of” and “have” he just omitted one of the f’s in “off.” It’s not a grammar/knowledge problem that needs to be corrected, it’s a typing error that needs to be ignored.

Edit: shit, sorry, I totally focused in on the wrong error. I stand mostly corrected, although the “off” misspelling is there, too.

• bstard says:

Seems you paid 4 euro’s for a bit of game news drama. Not a bad price if you ask me.

2. Discopanda says:

This game is still an endless supply of tears and hilarity, if nothing else!

3. ScubaMonster says:

Yeah, probably changed the name hoping people wouldn’t realize it was the craptastic War Z.

• Dominic White says:

They probably got a legal threat over people confusing it with Day Z, which is something that has happened to the point where the Day Z creator gets regular hate-mail for releasing The War Z.

That’s pretty quantifiably damaging to business.

• Shuck says:

I’d be very surprised if they hadn’t (also) received a C&D letter from the “World War Z” film people. You don’t spend the sort of money they spent on that movie without having all the merchandizing and spin-off rights ready to go.

• Juan Carlo says:

Yeah, it’s probably more to do with a legal threat from the film/book rights holders of “World War Z.”

War Z obviously ripped the name off from that book anyway.

• abandonhope says:

Could also be World War Z. A mobile game was just released or something.

• KDR_11k says:

I doubt it, more likely it’s been the movie World War Z. The MPAA is much more vicious than a modder, even if he’s working for Bohemia.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Nope, it has nothing to do with DayZ. I can only assume Hammerpoint left the “confusion and trademark issues with a similarly titled property” line as vague as possible so people would conclude that and continue to fuel the resentment The War Z’s fanbase has against DayZ. (any kind of criticism is immediately dismissed away as being from a DayZ fanboy)

In fact, it was from the upcoming movie based on Max Brooks’ novel, World War Z. The WWZ folks had secured trademark rights to WWZ a while back, securing it for toys, video games, etc. When WWZ’s people found out that The War Z was seeking trademark, the WWZ people contested it with the trademark office, and the trademark office dropped The War Z’s request for trademark.

In case you’re wondering if you read that correctly, yes, The War Z launched before they had even secured the trademark to their game’s title.

So, no, it wasn’t DayZ, although I’m sure Hammerpoint would love to “inadvertently” fuel that rumor in a vain and passive-aggressive attempt to try and tarnish DayZ. It was World War Z that challenged Hammerpoint’s trademark, and it was Hmmerpoint’s fault for launching a game without even bothering to make sure they had sufficiently secured their trademark.

• Caiman says:

I am quite sure that this was not done by accident! Ooops, we forgot to apply for a trademark on the name. More like, how many can we sell through association before we get told to change it. Quite a lot, as it turns out.

• fish99 says:

Probably more to do with World War Z.

I realize I’m the 5th person to suggest this, but that didn’t stop the 3 people above :p

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

And then I realised… like I was shot… like I was shot with a diamond…

4. icecoldbud says:

Same game different name what a shame!

5. lowprices says:

So when can we expect a Wot I Think of Infestation then? Soon? I need to know if it’s worth buying!

• phelix says:

Given the current state of the game, there won’t be a lot of “Survivor” in John’s infestation story.

• lowprices says:

Are you saying it takes a lot of brrraaaaaaaiiiinnnzzz to play the game?

• phelix says:

Nah, the subtitle is Survivor Stories, but with all those hackers & whatnot…

• lurkalisk says:

I sure hope not, I’d hate to be shambling around in confusion. That would make it a real walking dud!

• lowprices says:

Oh good, a pun response. I was starting to worry that the pun thread was a dying art.

6. ArcaneSaint says:

And on their Steam Store page it’s still referred to as The War Z in the copyright disclaimer.

7. almostDead says:

Is it working?

• RedWurm says:

If it took that long to go beep it must be very broken.

• Xepter says:

It’s funny how a bot used your sentence to trick me into clicking his link. Now I know where they get those realistic comments from, they just steal them, like everything else :D

8. RedViv says:

ISS: It’s Still Shite

9. db1331 says:

It saddens me that they have nearly 1 million registered players, if that’s even true.

10. waaaaaaaals says:

Reminds me of the Orion : Dino Horde / Orion : Dino Beatdown namechange, shit games are shit even when they change their name.

11. Muzman says:

I’ll just leave this here

12. Mr Bismarck says:

Deep poll?

I think I saw that movie.

• 12inchPlasticToy says:

Starring Penelope Bigguns and Chuck Saveloy. And Steve.

13. Ricc says:

“borrowing images from other games” – they stole from the TV show, didn’t they? Not that it makes any difference. Wouldn’t be surprised if somebody found more than just ideas from other games. (like the ToS)

14. Hmm-Hmm. says:

This is actually too bad, because this means there’s more chance some poor sods will fall to the plague that is their game.

15. captain nemo says:

FFS – This story has to end. Soon.

Some who bought War-Z will probably buy Infestation Survivor thinking it is a different game.

• Leb says:

if they bought War-Z on steam it simply just changed name in their games list, can’t buy it again

16. mrmalodor says:

War Z. War Z never changes.

17. Strabo says:

This game has entertained me as much as few other games have. Not that I ever played it, but the drama surrounding it is great stuff.

18. wolfinexile says:

Sounds like they took a look at the title of “Mars: War Logs” and thought it was a good idea to follow.

• 12inchPlasticToy says:

“Mars: war logs”… bet Nestlé’s marketing department is eating its heart out, just as they were going to come up with a new protein bar.

19. Ein0r says:

I think i might try it now.

• 12inchPlasticToy says:

You’re going to love it. They completely revamped the title interface with additional characters.

20. Pippy says:

Seems like one redeeming feature of the game is the publicity shot at the head of this article.That is official, right?

21. mzz says:

I am touching my credit card and nothing happens….

22. Super Kami Guru says:

You are all insane WAR Z aka INFESTATION: SURVIVOR STORIES is a thousand times better than DAY Z. DAY Z was a complete waste of money….its lags like all hell and the controls are the worst I have ever seen in a game in my entire life…

WAR Z FOR THE WIN……

23. geekdomo says:

My thoughts:

24. Exotixist says:

Update: They’ve just now shut down the open forum discussion on Steam: “Posting privileges: Only players who own Infestation: Survivor Stories are allowed to post in this forum.”

I’m guessing the next step is to remove all negative posts and sucker in as many rubes as they can.

Next time they re-brand the game, they should consider the title “Obfuscation: Survivor Stories”.