Heavy Medication: Surgeon Sim Slices TF2′s Heavy

By Craig Pearson on June 21st, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Check for doves, Medic
Like the world’s most fun STD, Team Fortress 2 really likes to spread itself around. What’s that itch, Joe Danger? Why it’s a just a case of the hats. That’s not a wart on Poker Night at the Inventory, it’s an achievement. And though the one game we all wanted to have a little bit of TF2 in it has remained resistant, there’s a new strain that’s proven to be too much for its immune system. Surgeon Simulator 2013′s rib-cage cracking ridiculousness really did look a lot like the Meet The Medic trailer, and Valve has allowed the characters to appear in Bossa Studio’s scalpel sim. It was inevitable.

This is more than just a cheap case of cosmetic surgery: the tools have been reworked, with the Spy’s knife and the Scout’s bat replacing the surgeon’s tools, and the heart-surgery involves cramming an Uber-powered chest thumper right into the Heavy’s cracked open rib-cage. I wonder if they managed to get voices recorded? There’s no evidence of that in the trailer, but then it is a very short trailer indeed.

The update will be free to everyone who owns the game, soonish. Hey, if Adam can use wrestlers to express things, then I can too.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Kollega says:

Anyone else feels like comparing TF2 to a once-popular rock band that has by now “sold out” and appears in advertisements for shaving cream and cheese substitutes?

• Craig Pearson says:

Not really. It’s still hugely popular: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

• Kollega says:

Well, i kinda knew that someone would say that, but to me, it does feel like a once-popular rock band trying to cash in on what’s left of its popularity. Not a very apt metaphor, but that’s how i see it.

• baby snot says:

It’s not trying to cash in on something it isn’t. It very much is cashing in on something that it is.

• Tacroy says:

I’m not entirely sure where the “cash” from “cashing in” comes from in this case – I don’t think Surgeon Simulator 2013 is even a blip on Valve’s profits, and honestly they’re probably not getting anything directly out of this licensing agreement.

It’s just a silly thing that TF2 has done, like all the other silly things it’s done.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Valve are obviously getting press/publicity/attention out of this, which is the whole point of all the cross-marketing they do. It leads to profit.

• darkChozo says:

I’m guessing that the all the TF2 crosspromotion isn’t for consumer-directed marketing but instead serves as something of a perk for Steam as a platform. It’s the equivalent of those silly retailer-specific preorder DLCs, quite literally so when it comes to free HATZ. It’s also great publicity to whatever game’s receiving the Valve treatment, which makes them look good to prospective customers development-side.

I mean, they probably get some marketing benefits from this between people who are reminded that TF2 is a thing and general goodwill from helping out indies (as most of the interesting crosspromotions are for indie titles), but I doubt it’s the primary business reason for why they do them.

• Craig Pearson says:

I can’t see how this would help TF2. It’s more likely to bump the indie devs, which is what I’d imagine Valve are attempting.

• Jambe says:

Once things are popular, any references thereto are “milking the fanbase”, any further monetization or cross-promotion thereof is “selling out”, etc. But that’s only an absolute, universal truth if you’re a fundamentalist nutjob of a cynic.

It could be that people reference TF2 because they actually like or enjoy it. It’s even within the realm of plausibility that cross-promotion of TF2 can lead to success for TF2 and other parties!

… nah. Bossa won’t get more profit than they would have without this promotion. Being associated with a successful franchise run by an industry darling won’t help at all. Valve are unscrupulously-capitalistic greedmongering profiteers and Bossa are whoring out their talent to The Borg.

For shame, Valve. For shame, Bossa.

Nobody has integrity anymore.

Nothing is genuine.

Despair.

• The Random One says:

Welcome to hipsterdom, brother. Here is your fedora.

• haideestom28 says:

Mary replied I didn’t even know that some people able to get paid $4253 in 1 month on the internet did you read this page>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.wep6.com

2. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

One day Heavy will guest-star in Team Fortress 2 and the prophecy will be fulfilled.

• RedViv says:

Ha. Then Heavy meet Heavy, and is not only big one! Will be good!

• darkChozo says:

I’ve heard that you get a free Heavy hat for preordering the Heavy. And if you preorder the Heavy hat, you get the Towering Pillar of Heavies for your Heavy’s Heavy hat’s Sasha.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It costs $400,000 to wear this hat for twelve seconds.

• Synesthesia says:

I WANT TO HUG THIS MAN. ALSO MY CAPS IS ON CAUSE I WAS RENDERING BUT I KINDA LIKE HOW IT MAKES ME SOUND. LIKE A MANLY HUG. WHICH IT’S NOT.

• jo-shadow says:

I registered -just- so I could ask you this:

How come you have caps on when rendering? I’m mildly curious!

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

He wears caps while rendering so he won’t be mistaken for someone poor and/or Irish.

• RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Apparently, in After Effects, Caps-Lock suppresses previews, which frees up resources that can be used for rendering, so the render completes slightly faster.

Slightly.

• Diving Duck says:

I couldn’t help but read your shouty e-voice with an internalised Brian Blessed style twang . Nicely shouted sir.

3. zappeo says:

I want TF2 stuff in every game ever made and I want stuff from every game ever made in TF2.
    I want every TF2 to be every game ever made, in TF2.
    I want stuff. I’ll buy this.

• Kollega says:

Your wish coming true is why i abandoned TF2. “Different strokes” indeed.

4. Calabi says:

Its interesting how Valve are so free with their IP. Companies very rarely do this though I dont know why(I do really) its basically publicity, gets info of their product out there. Everyones so protective of their IP and getting value from them that they are valueless.

5. sinister agent says:

Goddamn, Valve really are the world masters of marketing. I utterly loathe marketing, even the term, but they do it so damn well, so unintrusively, with such grace and humour that I simply can’t hate them.

• Focksbot says:

Of course, let’s not forget that it’s their position and prominence that allows them to do it with grace and humour. Intrusive marketing is mostly the result of companies having to work to change your mind, to make you consider something that’s way off your radar because dammit, they need every customer they can get. Valve’s marketing is basically sitting on top on a mountain of money, answering a phone and saying, “Advertise our game in your game? Sure, that could be a laugh.”

• RakeShark says:

I think the reason TF2′s cross-marketing works is not because it’s a very popular FPS, but because the tone of TF2 is primarily all about humor and comedy.

It’s why Poker Night works, it’s why those LucasArts adventures’ passing references to each other worked, and it’s why TF2′s appearances in other games seems less an intrusion and more of an inclusion.

6. darkChozo says:

7. Tom Walker says:

Anyone who needs four attempts to put a cassette in a VHS player really shouldn’t consider a career in surgery.

• realitysconcierge says:

Then the last thing you want to see are videos of this game in action lol

8. Dowr says:

The cassette mistake at the end reminded me of how many times my I did- I mean, my mother did that in the 90′s.

9. HadToLogin says:

My friend was so disappointed by this announcement. He wanted to play more Surgeon, now he thinks about uninstalling it. And he hates he has it on Steam so he can’t just pack it in box and return to shop.

• Ernesto25 says:

I felt like that when tf2 became f2p

• Dominic White says:

It’s a perfectly natural reaction. Whenever a game I own gets free, new optional content added at no extra charge, I get mad too. Give ME things? For free? I demand a refund!

• QualityJeverage says:

Your friend sounds like a profoundly unpleasant person to be around.

10. Aberaham says:

Hey, its that guy from that some game I played that one time! I’m definately gonna pick up Wacky Silly Surgeries Presented By Pewdiepie now!

11. ResonanceCascade says:

Shockingly, I can actually answer why the voices aren’t in there. Apparently, when Valve partners with a third party on a cross-game project like this, they give them carte blanche with their assets except for the voices.

The way the deals work out with the unions, Valve gets charged out the butt to let someone else use their audio files. So presumably the third party developers would have to foot that bill. I’m guessing they didn’t think it was worth it in this case.

12. CelticPixel says:

I had some great fun playing SS2013 and this is a nice playful cross-over with a nod to the ‘Meet the Medic’ trailer. I’m looking forward to playing it when I get the chance.