The RPS Bargain Bucket: Good Old Summer

By RPS on June 22nd, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Summer is the season for frolicking in the sun, which is exactly what Lewie is doing on a well-earned break at Glastonbury. Summer is also the season for sales that enable us to stuff our cheeks with games for the harsh winter months so he has asked me, Tony, his sidekick at SavyGamer.co.uk, to guide you through the best cheap cheek-fillers in this week’s bargain bucket.

Europa Universalis III ‘Complete’ – £2.49/€3.74/$3.74
Europa Universalis III Chronicles – £6.24/€7.49/$7.49

High on my list of things that should be thrown into a volcano are ‘Complete’ editions of games that aren’t complete. While Europa Universalis III’s Complete edition does contain more DLC than you can shake an inbred monarch at, the Chronicles edition usurps it with two additional expansion packs. Is it too much to ask for some honest titling?

Europa Universalis III itself is exactly as deep, intimidating and confusing as a game called ‘Europa Universalis III’ probably should be. I’m terrible at it (turns out honesty is an unwise play style) but it is worth playing if only to behold the unforgiving scale and ambition of the thing.

World of Warcraft: Battle Chest – £4/€5
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm – £4/€5
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria – £17/€20

World of Warcraft is notable not just for its success but for all the failures to replicate its success. I personally find each word of ‘Massively Multiplayer Online’ progressively less appealing but I do admire the fact that WOW stands atop a mountain of conquered competitors, high enough to see a trail of survivors limping toward the land of free to play. Also it has pandas and everyone loves marmite.

GoG Summer Sale

While console companies announce and unannounce and reanounnce DRM policies on their closed systems, GoG pushed the ‘PUT IT ALL ON SALE’ button and made everyone seem a bit silly.

Hundreds of DRM-free games are on sale but I would recommend waiting for the daily deals in case the game you want is included. Since the 21st is the most day of days, GoG decided to celebrate the solstice with close to fifty daily deals.These particular deals are on until 2pm UK-time on the 22nd, so be quick.

I would recommend these in particular:

Alpha Centari, Master of Magic, Master of Orion 1-2, Colonization, Fragile Allegiance, Gal Civ & Space Empires IV – £8.05/€9.47/$12.43 – This pack of turn-based strategy games includes Lewie’s favourite Alpha Centari, to which he wrote a love letter here.

Planescape: Torment, Baldur’s Gate 1-2, Icewind Dale 1-2, Neverwinter Nights 1-2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Demon Stone & Dragonshard – £13.67/€16.08/$21.10 – Will keep you in dungeons with dragons for years.

Deus Ex 1-2, Thief 1-3, Anachronox & Daikatana – £10/€11.76/$15.43 –  I assume Daikatana is included to throw the quality of the other games into sharp relief.

Have a look at the whole selection of games old and new here.

Frozen Synapse, Broken Sword: Director’s Cut, Aquaria, Fractal: Make Blooms Not War, Organ Trail: Director’s Cut & Stealth Bastard Deluxe – Beat the average. Currently £3.04/€3.57/$4.69.

More DRM-free loveliness from people who don’t assume their customers are criminals, playable on Windows, Mac, Linux and – if you’re into that sort of thing – Android.

Frozen Synapse is a good idea that I had no idea could even work, executed beautifully with simultaneous turn-based tactical combat. Broken Sword: Director’s Cut is a game that – declaration of interest time – our own John worked on. It’s also an excellent remake of a classic, am I allowed to say that? Aquaria is a bit Metroidy and absolutely worth buying to explore. I haven’t played much Fractal: Make Blooms Not War but it looks an extremely well presented puzzle game. Organ Trail: Director’s Cut is a parody of Oregon Trail with the disentrailed teaming up with dysentry. Stealth Bastard Deluxe is brilliant in name and in making stealth less sedentary.

A good, varied bundle.

Also of note
Cargo The Quest for Gravity 69p/€0.83/97c
Mirror’s Edge and DLC – £3.24/€3.80/$4.99 Enter a US billing address.
Really Big Sky, Eufloria, Runespell: Overture, Cthulhu Saves the World, Breath of Death VII – Current minimum £2.98/€3.50/$4.59

Creatures, Pirates of Black Cove, Survivor Squad, Chester, Sword of the Stars 1-2, Vessel, Aquanox 1-2, Painkiller: Overdose, Star Ruler, Edna & Harvey, A New Beginning & Crusader Kings Complete
– Current Minimum £3.85/€4.53/$5.94
Buy any ‘indie’ game and get The MAW, Major Mayhem, and The Curse of Nordic Cove free.

Enjoy Rezzed. The Bargain Bucket will be back in two weeks time. Don’t go and do anything silly like pay RRP while we’re gone and remember to pop by SavyGamer.co.uk during the week for cheap games.

__________________

« | »

1. Cardinal says:

System Shock II, Fez and £5 of Crusader Kings II before breakfast.
    Enjoying Crusader Kings II a lot at the moment, it really pays to read around the characters you choose a little.

2. Andy_Panthro says:

I bought Crusader Kings 2 (and all DLC) last night, installed and ran it (to check it was working) and ended up spending two hours fighting pretenders to my throne. Good times!

• LennyLeonardo says:

Sacrifice them to the Allfather! Hahahahahahaha…

Ahem.

• rapier17 says:

Throw them in the Oubliette or blind/castrate (depending how the mood takes you) them!

CK2 is a great game.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

I’ve tried so many times to get into CK2 but I just don’t feel clever enough. Really feel like I’m missing out.

• WrenBoy says:

It takes a bit of time to get into it to be fair but if you take the attitude that you are just watching to see what unfolds then disaster is as fun as success.

• Andy_Panthro says:

It is really quite a difficult game to comprehend, but fascinating all the same.

My mistake was starting as a young King, with half-brother pretenders to my throne and without the armies to stop them. I decided to buy in some mercenaries, but I got into a slight cash-flow problem and now there’s a huge mercenary army causing havoc whilst I’m busy trying to imprison all my rebellious and traitorous brothers.

It’s one of those games you’ll lose track of playing (in a good way!)

• derbefrier says:

I bought all the expansions last night after feeling like I had a good grasp of the game. I find I have to start very small in this game or i get overwhelmed with everything going on but I am on my my to becoming the king of Ireland. I got caught trying to murder a few people got thrown in jail and actually lost some land in the short term but in the long term I should come out on top. I somehow managed to marry my daughter to the prince of Ireland who is now king and my son is waiting to take over. I sure could use a way to kill my husband to speed things up so I can start uniting whats left of Ireland before the goddamn King of England gets everything. This is what kept me up till 3 in the morning last night.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I’m definitely not clever enough to play CK2, but I feel like the game is actually making me cleverer (word?), which is wonderful. It’s a lovely game, which you can learn at your own pace. Start as a dinky earl and just let things happen, tinker with the UI while you occasionally decide whether to slap your granddaughter… eventually you’ll be choosing the King of Norway and winning stupid wars you really shouldn’t have started in the first place while you occasionally have a wife murdered for being infertile.

What a great game.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Awww! And that’s why I want to be able to learn to play it. Sounds amazing!

• kimnawdhuaj says:

Ah, thank you for the list! I still wish those were more prominently displayed. I mean, “Android” by itself really isn’t enough.

• bstard says:

Dont be a consoleboy. Buckle up and get into the greatest strategy game around ;)

3. President Weasel says:

Master of Orion 2 (or Master of Onion 2, as the typeface used on the box made it look) is a bona fide classic. It’s old now, but still totally worth getting.

4. Simplisto says:

So how does one go aboot buying from Amazon.com here in Old Blighty? Where do I get myself a US billing address to use? Do I just mash at the keyboard before delicately adding a random 5-number zipcode? Will it register on Steam?

I want me some cheap Mirror’s Edge since I don’t touch my PS3 anymore.

• ohexplode says:

Use an address like Wal-Mart. Just google any city and wal-mart and you can get a useable address.

• Simplisto says:

A couple of questions I should have asked before:

1. What is the risk of my bank picking up on the fact that my card has been used with a US-billing address and suspending it?

2. What is the risk of some day having my access to download from Amazon suspended? I’d be less concerned about this if I could register it on Steam.

I’m tempted to just wait for its inevitable sale on Steam again :-\

• ohexplode says:

1. I’m in US so I don’t know, just what I’ve heard has worked for lots of people on reddit /gamedeals. I have never heard of anything negative happening though.

2. Once the code’s redeemed on Steam or Origin there’s almost nothing Amazon can do to un-do that since you didn’t actually steal from them.

• Simplisto says:

I notice there’s a discussion about this on Amazon, and it only registers on Origin and not Steam. I think I’ll have to give this deal a miss.

On GreenManGaming it says: ‘Please note that the free third-party service, Origin, must be used to activate this title.’

Is this true of all (non-Steam) versions?

• ohexplode says:

Yeah, ME is gonna be Origin unless you get it it on Steam. But Steam doesn’t have the Time Trials Pack at all, which I’ve heard we’re awesome. I gave in to Origin for the ME series and ended up getting BF3 and FIFA but I’m not a huge fan of Origin :/.

• Simplisto says:

This is why people pirate.

• Uglycat says:

Try using bordelinx, Myus,or Shipito – they’ll all give you US addresses. Not sure if they’ll tie in well to your billing address but it is worth a shot :>

5. jmtd says:

Centari!

6. ohexplode says:

Bethesda GET LOADED sale, 3 days. Dishonored, Fallout 3 GOTY, Fallout:NV UE, DOOM 3 BFG, Oblivion Deluxe, Morrowind GOTY, Brink, RAGE, Hunted.

2 of any of the above for only $15.

• HadToLogin says:

Not the best deal in $ since AFAIK outside of Dishonored rest was for < than $5. But in Europe, 7 euro for Dishonored and 5 euro for something else is nice deal.

• Colonel J says:

I am trying my best not to buy any more games for the rest of this year but £10 for Dishonored and Fallout NV Ultimate is the most horribly tempting deal in months, I own neither. Backlog be damned.

• Jupiah says:

Dishonored is not a available for me to buy in that bundle. Is anyone else having that problem?

7. DrollRemark says:

Glastonbury isn’t until next weekend! The dirty slacker. Also “frolicking in the sun” is a bit hopeful.

8. Waleebe says:

If anyone’s interested Green man gaming has XCom for about £10. May be UK only.

• ohexplode says:

Don’t forget GMG20-6WUSQ-LBC4U for 20% off (one item per order, can be used multiple times.) at checkout!

• cfcannon says:

Also don’t forget that it is all but impossible to get a refund from GMG even if the problem is 100% their fault or the game doesn’t work on systems that meet all listed requirements. Nice deal but not worth the risk of losing money for nothing and I don’t think I want to support such a shady shop.

• Mattressi says:

Thanks so much for this! I almost missed it (again). I’ve been waiting ages for their stuff to go on sale. Now I just need to decide exactly how many modules to buy…

• handyman24602 says:

Not sure wether to get DCS Black Shark without rudder pedals, just got a twist grip?

• Mattressi says:

Well, on the one hand the Ka-50 has two rotors which are designed so that they counter the torque of the helicopter. This means that, unlike other helicopters, you do not need to constantly apply anti-torque pedals (rudder pedals) to the right or left (depending on which direction the rotor spins) just to keep pointing straight at lower speeds.

On the other hand, you might still want to manually aim at targets (though all weapons are normally aimed using the aircraft’s targeting systems, so no need to manually point at an enemy, really).

I’d say it would still be great without rudder pedals. I’ve had pedals for a while now, but the twist “rudder” on the stick worked well for a long time for other flight sims.

9. Isair says:

EU3 is part of a general paradox sale which also include Crusader Kings 2 and Victoria 2 for 75% off. Do note that Steam is a pretty bad choice for Paradox games since you don’t get much control over what DLC to use.

• lordcooper says:

Eh? You can toggle DLC on and off on CK2′s launch screen and I can’t think of any reason you’d want to remove DLC for EU3.

• Isair says:

I thought there were save issues in EU3, but maybe I’m remembering wrong.

• Arglebargle says:

It’s a little easier to stop Steam from auto updating now. I found that any Paradox patch or upgrade for EU3 totally broke all saved games, without any real need for help from Steam. Of course, I also have separate patch 1.6, 1.8, 1.91, and 2.0 versions of Crusader Kings 2 so that I can finish games or fully immortalize my particularly clever dynasties.

10. MondSemmel says:

Do buy the current Humble Bundle. I’ve only played Aquaria from the bunch (and loved most of it, though its ending let it down quite a bit), but it’s worth it for the soundtracks to Frozen Synapse and Aquaria alone. They are surely among my top 5 of video game soundtracks.

• Lobotomist says:

Humble Bundle is must buy for Android users.

• mwoody says:

One thing that frustrates me, though: I can’t tell if these will work on a phone. Or, rather, I know they’ll RUN on a phone, but will the UI work? I got burned in the past buying one of these bundles, only to find they meant Android TABLETS.

• Somerled says:

If you check the requirements for each, there would be mention whether they require tablet screens or larger resolutions, meaning they would not be available for the phones.

Looks like these might work on phones, but some aren’t recommended.

• mwoody says:

Anyway, for to save others some time, the titles that specifically state they’re designed for a tablet are:
            Frozen Synapse
            Aquaria
            Pulse: Volume One

11. Wther says:

For one more hour, FTL is 75% off ($2.49). At the end of that sale, they’ve put it up to 50% off ($4.99) for 11 days, still a bargain. Top stuff!

12. Flea says:

Civilization V Gold Edition (registers on Steam) is only £7.50 on game.co.uk. Sadly, I’m not from the UK so it probably won’t work for me, but maybe it’ll make some Brit happy.

13. kalirion says:

Groupees Build-A-Bundle 6

Not one of their stronger offerings, but still some decent games here for cheap:

Minimum 2 games for $1.50, additional games cost extra

Spectraball [Steam] [DRM-Free]
    Smash Cat [Desura] [DRM-Free]
    Chernobyl Commando [Desura] [DRM-Free]
    Space Ark [Steam]
    Aeon Command [Desura] [DRM-Free] [Greenlight]
    Numen: Contest of Heroes [Steam]
    Freedom Fall [Desura] [DRM-Free] [Greenlight]
    Off-Road Drive [Steam]
    Dynamite Jack [Steam] [DRM-Free]

After 754 more sales (at time of post), Memento Mori will unlock.

At the moment, it’s a “minimum 1 game for $0.75″, but not sure how long it will last.

14. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Got the Humble Bundle just to get Stealth Bastard drm-free (I didn’t own it yet). And for another copy of Aquaria, ’cause that game is awesome..

15. Eclipse says:

Cargo The Quest for Gravity, as all the games from Icepick Lodge, is awesome. Go grab it guys.

• mwoody says:

Ooh, thanks for pointing that out; missed it on the list, and it was so cheap I could actually just use those blue coin things.

Comment on this story